Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Other Lands > Australia
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2012, 04:47 PM   #31
alicia1506
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel Mum View Post
Hey, we flew all the way through in one go too so that was Wellington - Auckland - L.A. - Orlando. We arrived into Orlando at about 6pm. We got to POR, had a quick dinner and crashed into bed. That was the morning that I did not want to use an alarm clock as I wanted everyone to have that day to catch up on their sleep. I really didn't know what time we'd wake up as our time clocks were very confused (I know we wake up very early in the morning in the first few days on a West Coast holiday) however was shocked when I woke to look at the clock and it said 1pm!! I had never imagined it would be that late! That meant that we didn't leave our room and go to Downtown Disney until 2pm but meant we'd all woken up naturally which was good.

So, yes, certainly take your multiple alarm clocks if you hope to wake up at 6am!!!!!

omg!!!!! maybe i'll also ask the hotel for a wake up call as well

that is exactly what i was afraid of, that we'd end up sleeping well past our deadline and missing our port connection

me (alicia): dbf (carlo):
2011 vacation - Of Mice, and Wizards and Pirates, oh my!

2013 trip - 3 castles and a Disney boat - a work in progress
alicia1506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:40 PM   #32
australiankaren
I do love me my free H20...thank you Mickey.....DVC member BLT & VB....I HATE #MYDISNEYEXPERIENCE

Quote:
Originally Posted by alicia1506 View Post
so i didn't win lotto last night.

stupid online entries, being all not-winning.

lol. i don't know what i'd do with myself if i did win... that kind of money is crazy.

but i do kinda have a deal going with myself right now... if i manage to save up the extra $$ or get a really good tax return, i'm going to treat carlo and i to PE flights for the bne-lax return leg of the trip. i wanna try it at least once and i figure what better trip than this one where we're alone together & it's going to be this big romantic trip

so i just have to keep it a surprise from him if it happens now
once you do PE you cant go back....

the dollar is $1.01 now...so sad..I havent paid off my cruise yet or bought my $$$$$....bugger!
australiankaren is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-10-2012, 04:11 AM   #33
alicia1506
DIS Veteran

paid off our cruise in total now, and paid for our shuttle transfers on the disney resort express bus today.

have contacted disney today to request an AP discount for our accomodation and an updated quote for the accomodation. also asked for quotes for our tour.

also, just had my new camera arrive in the mail, so very, very happy today

Old 05-10-2012, 09:06 PM   #34
BecBennett
Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarves are not happy.

I love getting new stuff! I have enough cameras, but in the back of my mind I'm still thinking of purchasing a P&S with RAW capabilities...
Old 05-10-2012, 09:27 PM   #35
Ms. Shuttergirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BecBennett View Post
I love getting new stuff! I have enough cameras, but in the back of my mind I'm still thinking of purchasing a P&S with RAW capabilities...
The Canon S95 has raw capabilities and is a great little camera

Oct 2009 Disneyland - stayed at Disneyland Hotel
Sept/Oct 2010 WDW - split stay Wilderness Lodge/POP Century - Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2559987

PTR Christmas 2012 - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2979947
TR WDW/US/Canada Christmas trip 2012 - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3030550
Ms. Shuttergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:09 PM   #36
alicia1506
DIS Veteran

ok... so unwrapped the camera last night, read the manual, then started playing...

put the battery in & went to charge it... no indicator light. uh oh

i really, really, really wanted this camera.

checked the power was on at the wall. check. ok. maybe i'll try charging it through my laptop. nope. no indicator light. still won't turn on. ok. maybe i'll try my other camera's power cord. nope. still nothing.

very, very unhappy leesha right now.

very unhappy.

tried my phone's power cord. nothing.

ok. checked all the cables with my electrical meter (my dad's an electrician, so i have all the good tools -- no idea what it's called though, an amp-meter??? ) they all work fine when plugged into other things. yay. except...

ok. back to the drawing board.

unplug everything. take out sd card. take out battery. put battery back in wrong way round. hrmm. battery works. camera works.

only freaking camera in the world where the battery fits in both ways.

you'd think they would include that in the manual that came with it?? nope. not in there. it's in the online manual though

so that was 4 hours of my night spent stressing.. and all cause the stupid manufacturer made a reversible battery that only works if you put it in a certain way

Old 05-10-2012, 10:47 PM   #37
BecBennett
Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarves are not happy.

lol... Weird...

But yay! It works! That's the main thing!
Old 05-12-2012, 06:04 AM   #38
alicia1506
DIS Veteran

ok, so today i discovered that we can fly with vaustralia directly bne - lax, but for the return leg we have to fly back through sydney, do a 2 hr layover, then do syd - bne via virgin blue/whatever they're calling themselves now.

ugh.

i prefer that at the end of a 14 hour flight is a cab, a hot shower and my bed, not more connections.

i just paid off the disneyland hotel portion of our trip but i am contemplating adding another day so that we can fly back direct.

qantas has direct flights both ways, and on our original check out date, but our FF points are with virgin, and we just prefer the virgin experience.

so, would you do it? add one more disney day? the only increase in cost would be an extra night at the disneyland hotel. our entry passes would still be valid and i'd need to change the shuttle pick up for the next day... but that would be fine...

it would mean that we'd be in anaheim from dec 1 - 13, with one day out for the san diego zoo and 1 day out for shopping, and we don't actually arrive on the 1st until dinner time, so it would mean 10 whole days to dedicate to disneyland, california adventure, lazy days in the pool, people watching etc.

what would you do?

Old 05-12-2012, 06:41 AM   #39
aussietravellers
who LOVE disney holidays!

Location: Australia or Austria... they are the same place aren't they?

Quote:
lazy days in the pool
if you have a wetsuit

what would you do?
I would add another day
2008 - Walt Disney World - Animal Kingdom Lodge & Disneyland Paris - Hotel New York
2009 - Disneyland California - Grand Californian
2010 - Walt Disney World - Animal Kingdom Lodge + Beach Club + Yacht Club Resorts My 2010 Trip to NY and WDW Trip Report
2013 - We lived at Disneyland for 4 months! - Residence Inn Garden Grove, Grand Californian & Disneyland Hotel
aussietravellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 11:26 AM   #40
WAMUMOF4
DIS Veteran

Defiantly add another day especially if the only cost is accommodation
Old 05-12-2012, 04:56 PM   #41
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

hope you are enjoying your camera.

I would add another day. There is lots of ways to spend more money in SoCal without having to buy a wet suit!

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 07:36 PM   #42
alicia1506
DIS Veteran

oh yeah...silly me, for a moment i was thinking november was a warm month... it's gonna be cold, so no pool time can you tell i've picked up the flu? gah.

ok. but still.. an extra day?? sounds tempting. so i ran it past carlo last night around 1am when he finally got back from his time with the men-folk, so he's promised me a yay/nay answer by tonight.

it means 1 less day of recovery at home before heading back to work, but on the upside, potentially 1 more day at disney

i'm torn.. leaning more towards adding the day though

Old 05-12-2012, 08:31 PM   #43
Sugarglider
DIS Veteran

Alicia - don't worry about staying awake for 4 hours in LAX. remember in that 4 hrs you have to:
  • get off international flight
  • clear immigration and customs
  • transfer to the domestic terminal
  • drop off your luggage
  • (maybe even check in? can you check in in advance on SouthWest?
  • find your gate
  • and 30 minutes to board domestic flight

all that will chew up your 4 hours easily - esp. if the international flight arrives late or immi/customs queues are long.
You'll be fine - and hopefully fall asleep on the domestic flight
Sugarglider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 09:20 PM   #44
aussietravellers
who LOVE disney holidays!

Location: Australia or Austria... they are the same place aren't they?

Quote:
oh yeah...silly me, for a moment i was thinking november was a warm month... it's gonna be cold, so no pool time can you tell i've picked up the flu? gah.

Don't worry, my DS packed his swimmers on a trip to Europe one Christmas. Yes there was a pool and a river and a frozen lake, but as it was -15 outside, I told him he should have packed his wetsuit if he was wanting to swim, brrr I did see someone in the Grand Californian pool once during a December trip, so some would swim on a mild winters day, probably when they are from a cold climate. But I think when you are leaving home, in the 30's you won't feel a warm fuzzy swimming feeling whilst there

ok. but still.. an extra day?? sounds tempting. so i ran it past carlo last night around 1am when he finally got back from his time with the men-folk, so he's promised me a yay/nay answer by tonight.

it means 1 less day of recovery at home before heading back to work, but on the upside, potentially 1 more day at disney

i'm torn.. leaning more towards adding the day though
If it's not going to cost you any extra flight wise (just the accommodation). Are you at DL hotel at the end? Maybe you could add a night to the other hotel, then move your DL dates along a day, so you are not paying the expensive for the extra night.

Really it's not that bad connecting through Sydney. You clear customs, go and recheck just near where you exit and hop on the bus to the other terminal and find your gate. Yes, it is much easier just flying right back into Brisbane but if you decide not to add that day. It really isn't too bad doing the Syd stopover. It was not so many years ago that we always had to fly to Sydney before flying off anywhere exciting. Well we still do if we want to go to Hawaii. Can't wait for the day when an airline finally realises how many Queenslanders actually like to fly to Hawaii and how many more would when they can go direct instead of through Sydney
2008 - Walt Disney World - Animal Kingdom Lodge & Disneyland Paris - Hotel New York
2009 - Disneyland California - Grand Californian
2010 - Walt Disney World - Animal Kingdom Lodge + Beach Club + Yacht Club Resorts My 2010 Trip to NY and WDW Trip Report
2013 - We lived at Disneyland for 4 months! - Residence Inn Garden Grove, Grand Californian & Disneyland Hotel
aussietravellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 10:11 PM   #45
alicia1506
DIS Veteran

we're at the Disneyland hotel for our last several nights, and i don't have an issue with adding an extra night there

i just sent off yet another email to my long suffering TA to ask if now that we have paid off the reservation, if it would be possible to add the extra day to our disneyland vacation... i'm sure he'll make sure it can happen, after all, it's an extra day at disney, right? my DU travel agent hasn't been over-the-top wonderful, and in fact, i wish he had been just a little more anticipatory of our potential needs and a little less willing to tell us to do stuff for ourselves, but he's been a gem at answering questions and letting me know exactly what our best options are, so that has been a gem. i almost booked our flights straight through disney thinking it would save us time & money, but he quickly put me straight on that one

to be honest, i think i'm most likely to stay the extra day.. it means we have another day up our sleeve to browse LA or san diego, do a bit of a sight-seeing tour or spend more time shopping or just relax around the hotel/downtown disney one day...

just bought myself an exercise bike to help get into better shape for the trip. that should be here in a few days then it'll be full steam ahead for whipping those extra kgs off my butt -- so that i can put some of it back on while on the cruise

sugarglider -- thanks for the info re LAX. i've never done a transfer from there, all our flights were direct flights into LAX then down to disney, and then direct from disney to LAX to fly to the next town. i didn't even realise they had a domestic terminal. my biggest concern was that we'd make it through immi/customs, get our luggage, get to the check in, get to the gate, fall alseep, miss our flight but from what you've said.. sounds like we'll probably not have too much time to stand around whilst trying to make the connection.

our last flight bne - lax was early ... so early the unions weren't letting us into lax until it had ticked over to 6am sharp. and by the time we unloaded, 2 other international flights had arrived, so it was a nightmare to get through baggage claim then immi/customs/border security etc.

fingers crossed this time round my flight will go much more smoothly..

in the meantime, i'm now doing more research on LAX and other tours we can take while we're in anaheim...

oh, and cursing the dollar. 96.4cents is what my currency exchange is telling me i can get for 1 aud. not happy jan. not happy at all.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: