Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2012, 11:35 AM   #16
murmkc
Mouseketeer

It might be time for me to invest in more DVC points... I never thought that I would run into a time when I could not join the fam for a trip! GRRR
murmkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 02:54 PM   #17
Deesknee
When we were kids (long time ago) they did this with cows.

Awesome way to tell your daughter! And on mothers day. That's cool.

I have a love/hate relationship with the dollar stores. I love I can pick up disney stuff at a bargain, I hate that I ALWAYS go over board. Then of course the family looks at me like I am nuts when I hide a "little" gift bag in there carry-ons. I know they look forward to it. One of my sons asked if I was hiding surprise bags for them for the Nov. flight. I started this when they were 3 1/2 to keep them occupied on the 3 hr flight. Now that the older ones are 21 it is becoming a bit expensive. hahaha

Yep, I agree with your brother when he said he should buy more dvc points. haha It is addictive. I hear the GF may be selling points by late fall. Just saying....

Vow renewal trip report http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...0#post46760210

Triplets + singleton = living happily ever after in Mass
Deesknee is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-31-2012, 10:09 AM   #18
dawnmichele
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deesknee View Post
Awesome way to tell your daughter! And on mothers day. That's cool.
Thanks! It was super fun. She was not expecting it at all! She did catch on super quick though - before she even took the stuff out of the bag. I guess it's harder to surprise your kids after they hit college

Quote:
I love I can pick up disney stuff at a bargain, I hate that I ALWAYS go over board. Then of course the family looks at me like I am nuts when I hide a "little" gift bag in there carry-ons.
I have that problem too! And right about how it's harder when they're older. I keep wishing my DD was still 7 or something. I'm definitely looking forward to going with my baby nieces when they're older - right now one is 17months and the other 3 months so they're a bit young still, but we are all planning a giant family trip in 2015. WooHoo!

Quote:
Yep, I agree with your brother when he said he should buy more dvc points.
No doubt! Do it Brian, do it!
dawnmichele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 10:52 AM   #19
Deesknee

Hey, I don't remember seeing the pictures when I first read about the surprise. And, I love the Target plates. I wish our Target had those. But that would only be more money for me to spend which i should not be doing right now.

My nieces and nephews are all grown up & have children of their own. I keep trying to talk 1 of my nephews & neice in law to take their 2 (3 1/2 & 2). They would be awesome!! Every occasion that I buy them a gift, it is a Disney gift card with a note, that eventually they will be able to buy their park passes from Aunt Dee. I will win them over eventually. They keep saying how expensive it is. AND they don't listen to me about the deals. Ah, alas, I have become THAT aunt. I used to be the cool one.

Old 06-05-2012, 12:41 PM   #20
dawnmichele
DIS Veteran

Surprise #2: Foiled

You may or may not remember from a previous post in this report that DX (is there an abbreviation for your ex husband?) and I were trying to figure out if we wanted to spring for a couple extra days on our own at the end of the trip his company is (mostly) providing for. We were keeping it a secret from the DD until we decided. If we chose not to, why get her excited and then have to let her down, right?

Well one night after a family dinner, we were having a Disney meeting. We had several things we had to think and decide about. Towards the end, DX had had about enough. He was tired and overloaded and started asking about those 2 extra days. Were we staying? Had we made a decision? Because if we had he didn't know anything about it. I was giving him the serious evil eye and trying to obfuscate. I was lost trying to figure out how to get him to stop. I tried everything I could think of to change the subject but he was not getting the hint! Then he started to get upset, "Well maybe you two have made some kind of decision I'm not privy to, but I don't know what's going on!"

The conversation was quickly headed downhill. So I told. "You don't know about that decision because it hasn't been made and it was supposed to be a Surprise!"

Oh man. DD was all and then bummed that the surprise was ruined in such an unpleasant way. DX felt horrible for not thinking and ruining the surprise. I told DD that the secret was only being kept till we had come to a decision and she really didn't miss out on much. She envisioned me telling her as she packed "Oh, by the way, you'll need some extra clothes because we're staying 2 more nights!" but I assured her it wouldn't have gone down like that. With all the talking and planning and ADR questions we would have told soon anyway.

Later that night DX and I were talking and he still felt badly about the whole scene. I assured him it was not really that big of a deal, but I kind of think may have factored in to his vote to go ahead and book those 2 extra nights. Well, you don't have to tell me to make Disney reservations twice! I called my old friend the Disney Vacation Planner to go over the details. She was about to go out of town for Memorial Day weekend, so I told her we'd give it one last think and call her when she got back.

Before the weekend was over we were certain we wanted to do it, and that we would stay in a Little Mermaid room at AoA! And we decided to make a new secret to make up for the spoiled one. DD now knew we were staying 7 nights instead of 5, but as far as she knows now they are all at the CSR. We are not going to tell her about the Mermaid room until the night before when he tell her to make sure she's packed up before she goes to sleep. When she stands there completely confused, then we'll tell her.

That's the plan anyway. Hopefully the secret will be kept. So if you see her, don't spill the beans!

Personally, I'm so excited that we'll get to check out the AoA when it's all still new and fresh! I can barely wait!! 183 days!
Old 06-05-2012, 12:45 PM   #21
dawnmichele
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Hey, I don't remember seeing the pictures when I first read about the surprise. And, I love the Target plates. I wish our Target had those. But that would only be more money for me to spend which i should not be doing right now.
About the pictures on that update about letting the cat out of the bag, so to speak - I was sure the photos were there when I posted -- but then they weren't.

The Target plates are fantastic. There were even a few more designs I didn't get. It's so hard because I want to buy Disney stuff because we're going - but I also want to save money to spend there! Argh. If only I had won that powerball...

We love the plates though. We haven't eaten off anything else since I bought them!
Old 06-19-2012, 10:58 AM   #22
murmkc
Mouseketeer

Any new planning? Any luck getting into Le Lellier?
Old 06-25-2012, 06:38 PM   #23
dawnmichele
DIS Veteran

Funny Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by murmkc View Post
Any new planning?
Of course there has been! I have several half posts written in my Disney journal (it's where I scribble stuff when I want to obsess about Disney and everyone is tired of listening) and I will get busy moving them to here on my trip report.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murmkc View Post
Any luck getting into Le Cellier?
Absolutely not. But I'll keep checking.

In the mean time, I thought I'd share this post I made today in a different thread. It's about funny pictures from the park. I completely cut and pasted it below.

I met Baloo in 1996 in the MK. I wasn't paying attention and he smacked me upside the head! But very gently, especially for a bear.

I guess he felt badly because afterwards, he kissed me on the top of the head.

Or was he trying to eat my head?

Here's my Dx making the sad Eeyore face at the CP in 96.

And you might not think this is funny, but look at the cranky lady giving me the evil eye over the Dx's shoulder. I was not aware I had done anything to offend, but her glare says otherwise. Sorry lady!

Last edited by dawnmichele; 06-28-2012 at 03:07 PM.
Old 06-27-2012, 02:55 PM   #24
dawnmichele
DIS Veteran

WooHoo!

I knew we'd get in if I just kept trying(swimming)!

I was reading some dining reports here on the dis this afternoon and decided to check again for a lunch reservation at Le Cellier that would work for us this December. There weren't for my number one choice of days, but my second choice showed a free spot at 2:05! So I snapped it right up, yay us!

So even without the extra ten days (in the 180+10), we've managed to secure reservations everywhere we were hoping for. Now of course since we don't have a dining plan for this trip, that's not as many table service restaurants as we would do otherwise, but I'm still super excited.

Next post = all our ADRs and related food talk.
And thanks to our Fairy Godmother for the Pixie Dust!

Old 06-27-2012, 03:59 PM   #25
Deesknee

congratulations for snagging your ADR's! If you really would prefer a different date for LeCellier, you could keep the one you have & keep trying for you #1 date, then if you get it cancel the one you won't be using. I am doing the same type of thing for a Bibbidi Bobbidi reservation we have. not that I'm complaining I scored getting the one I got.

Old 06-28-2012, 03:04 PM   #26
dawnmichele
DIS Veteran

You can fly, you can fly, you can fly!

I know I said my next update would be about ADRs, and it's still coming, but I just booked our flights and I'm SO EXCITED.

For the last few weeks I've been stressing about flights. Well, not exactly stressing, but every time I'd read about someone's flights I'd wonder about ours and want to change the subject. I didn't like it being up in the air. What time would we get there? How late could we stay on our last night? Of course I want to get the lowest priced flight I can, but even more than that I want an early arrival and a late departure. And a non stop flight. The last time I bought flights for somewhere, I knew which flights we wanted and watched the prices, but before they dropped the flights I wanted were sold out. They were overseas flights and I wanted the ones with the least stops and shortest layovers more than I wanted a deal. It was a drag and I didn't want that to happen again.

So today I posted on the boards asking when people generally booked their flights. I had the Dx make sure the price was approved by his office and I logged into the airline's website to make our reservations!

We are getting one of our flights for free because the Dx's office will pay for him to be there (for their day of meetings and evening of partying). That's fantastic and such a help. And then we were thrilled to learn that if one of us got a particular credit card, we'd automatically earn more than enough bonus points for one round trip ticket. Super fantastic. That leaves only one flight we have to pay for (a large part of what's making this trip possible).

I've never used points to book a flight before and I'm afraid it took me a few times until I got it right. The first issue was whether or not the free flight had to be in Dx's name. We have to purchase his flight and then submit an expense report to be reimbursed by his company, and we weren't sure if they'd give us back money when the receipt says it was payed for in points. So we didn't want to make that flight in his name.

I called the 800 they said to call with any questions. No wait, and super nice phone person informed me the ticket can be purchased for anyone, not just the points holder. So yay. I used the points to buy a ticket for me. I logged on and went through the process of booking the flight, but when it came to the pay section, I couldn't find anywhere to enter my numbers. I called the 800 number again. No wait, and super nice phone person told me to go back to the first page where there's a button to see the prices in points instead of dollars. Fantastic.

I had more problems though. After I entered all the info, I got a pop up that told me the name of the flyer didn't match the number for the rewards account. Back on the phone - no wait, and the super nice phone person told me just take rewards number out of the box. It automatically entered Dx's number, and that's what wasn't matching. There didn't need to be a number there at all.

And then it worked. Woohoo! I was flying to Disney World for 5 bucks. ($2.50 each way for some kind of fee.)

Next, to make sure Dx and DD get on the same flight I was on! That went off without a hitch and now we're all set on the transportation. Did I mention it was exciting? It's one more bit of proof that we're going. One step closer. And one more thing off the boring things to do so I can focus on the more exciting bits of planning and anticipating.

We leave on a Thursday at 7:40 from Kansas City. Non stop flight, 2 free checked bags and we get in to MCO at 11:15.
We come back on a Thursday. leaving MCO at 5:05, straight to KC and arriving at 7:10 (my lucky number).

I'm thinking that means we'll get to the CSR by 1:30 and have plenty of time to enjoy EPCOT til it closes at 9:30. Our last day will be an early extra magic hours morning at the MK, so we could possibly be there from 8am tll 1 or 2. Love that.

So much magic. 160 days. You know I can't wait.
Old 07-01-2012, 02:20 PM   #27
murmkc
Mouseketeer

FREAKIN AWESOME

You guys are going to have a ton of fun!
Old 07-02-2012, 02:17 PM   #28
dawnmichele
DIS Veteran

I'm hungry mother, really I am.

Just the facts:

Friday: 7:05 @ Sanaa
Just for me and DD. DX will be at work, and he's not an adventurous eater, so I thought we might go there and enjoy some delicious food.

Saturday: 1:25 @ 50s Prime Time Cafe
New to all of us. I might try to do this earlier in the day.

Sunday: 12:50 @ San Angel Inn
Again, I might try to get something earlier.

Sunday: 7:10 Sci Fi Dine Inn
We're going with the Inns on this day, obviously. Will we really make the second meal, or will we be too full? I don't know.

Monday: 8:05 @ Tusker House
I'm pretty sure we're going to cancel this.

Monday: 4:20 Liberty Tree Tavern
New to all of us. I'm excited for this one.

Tuesday 2:05 at Le Cellier
I would rather do this on Wednesday and will change it if I can.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:55 PM   #29
dawnmichele
DIS Veteran

Disney is an eating vacation.

When the family and I went to Disney World the first couple times (in the early 90s) I made a few dining reservations. I don't think there was a dining plan (if there was I never read about it). We got a character meal with our vacation package though, and we definitely made reservations for those. First trip was the Crystal Palace. The second year we had breakfast at Hollywood & Vine. The characters were from Hunchback ((my favorite movie)) and Pocahontas). We had a fantastic time. We also ate at the Sci Fi Dine Inn, Chef Mickey's and San Angel Inn. I must have made reservations for those as well.

For my trip with DD in 2010, I was all about the ADRs. I even changed my mind a couple times. I checked the every day we were there for a chance for breakfast at 1900 Park Fare (without luck). But even then I didn't do the reserving. We went with my brother who is a DVC member, so we just told him what we were hoping for and he let us know what we got. We had thad some fantastic food. We ate at CRT, Tutto Italia, Sanaa, San Angel Inn, and Le Cellier. I keep thinking of making a Better Late Than Never dining report about that trip. Reading everyone else's really makes me want to relive mine.

This year, it is up to me to make the reservations. We looked at menus, talked about our favorites and planned our hopefuls for the week. Since we're going with the company, and we don't have any kind of number to associate with our stay, I didn't get the ten extra days of the 180+ten. I had to call as each day of our stay reached the 180 day mark.

It wasn't bad though. I'm up early anyway, so I just logged on and checked the boxes. We've ended up with a great schedule, and I still have plenty of time to change or find "better" times.

The first couple days I didn't even try for any spots. On the Thursday that we arrive, we don't really want to be tied in to a reservation. On the Friday, Dx will be at work all day and evening, and since it was just DD and I, I thought we should save good dinners for when we could all be together. (I changed my mind about this later, but that's what I was thinking at the beginning).

180 days before the Saturday we were there I logged on. We had decided to always try for Le Cellier first (not that it's the best but it's the trickiest to get). I was shocked to see a reservation come right up for 2pm. I was thrilled. Woohoo, lucky me, all that. And then I realized that the date had reverted to that day's date, and early as it was, I knew I couldn't make it to Orlando by 2pm. I changed to the correct date in December, and nothing was available. Oh well, it was only the first day.

Our second choice was for 50s Prime Time Cafe. It's early magic hours at HS that day. I know not everyone is a xmh kind of person, but we dig them. So we plan to show up early, get those pesky high demand rides ridden as much as possible, and then slow down to enjoy the rest of the day. We'll have lunch at 1:25. None of us has eaten there before. We hope it will be fun. I dig the vintage surroundings and it's just Dx's type of food, so I expect we'll like it.

The next morning I was making reservations for the Sunday of our trip. Checked for Le Cellier first, no such luck. That morning we will be heading to EPCOT. I got us lunch reservations at San Angel Inn. We've eaten there every trip and we all have very fond memories. Dx will miss the old boat ride for sure. He remembers it fondly as lovely and relaxing, neither of which are true any longer.

I found a 7:10 time for dinner at the Sci Fi Dine Inn. We all ate there in the early 90s and thought it was fun, if not super tasty. We didn't go last time, and both Dx and Dd are into it so we made the reservations. The question is will we really want a big dinner at 7 after we just had one at 1? I don't know, but HS is open till 11 that night so we'll be in that park anyway. Again, we'll have to wait and see. I like the 7:10 time though. My birthday is July 10, so 7:10 is my favorite number (it's also the time we make it to our home airport at the end of our trip).

Morning again and I'm making plans for our Monday. No luck at Le Cellier, but I got the earliest Tusker House I could get at 8:05. Dx and DD are big breakfast lovers and Dx really liked the menu. It would be a great time - except that's AK's early magic hours day. We'd miss the magic hour and leave breakfast just in time to colide with the crowd. So I don't know. I might try to do it earlier or might just decide no tot do it.

I also made late lunch reservations in the Magic Kingdom for a 4:20 at Liberty Tree Tavern. None of us have eaten there before and I'm kind of excited. I think the salad and the pasta look terrific and Dx sees several things he likes.

I continued to check for available lunch spots at Le Cellier through the week. We all decided we'd take whatever we could get so I kept trying.

Now since we booked our own AoA room, we did have the 180+ten for that stay. Since it is the end of our trip though, it was only 180+1. I thought maybe that would give me a leg up for the reservations. I logged on ready to make plans for the Tuesday and Wednesday of our trip. I was hopeful, but still, no such luck.

After failing again at LC, I decided to add an extra meal at San Angel Inn. Just in case. We love it and we're planning to be at EPCOT that afternoon so I did it. It was a lunch reservation at 1:10.

We had spots at all the other places we wanted to try, so I left Wednesday and Thursday free of ADRs, keeping in mind we could find others later if we really wanted to.

About a week after that I was talking with a friend who is a Disney Vacation Planner. She said she thought Disney was holding some of those reservations for something or other, and that she'd let me know when they were released so I could try again. Shockingly, I was reading the disboards right here when her text came. I logged right on to Disney.

I really wanted to eat at LC on Wednesday, but that day was full. I tried Tuesday and what do you know? There was a spot at 2:05. Perfect! Or close enough. When I took it, the helpful online reservation system reminded me I already had reservations at San Angel Inn, but then was nice enough to cancel them for me. I gave them my info and we are all set.

A few days later I was thinking about the day DD and I will be on our own in the parks while Dx has his work stuff. We both love Indian food, and seriously enjoyed Sanaa on the last night of our last trip. It occurred to me it would be the perfect night for just the two of us to head out to Kidani Villas for dinner at Sanaa. We have reservations at 7:05.

And so that's it. I think. You know how these things are. I'm sure I'll feel the need to add or change something in the next 5 months. Especially if it turns out we are able to add dining at some point. Then I expect there will be a mad shuffle to add a few more reservations.

But so far, so good, don't you think?
Old 07-07-2012, 06:55 AM   #30
murmkc
Mouseketeer

Well done big sis.

My trips seem to be more and more about the food too.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: