Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2012, 11:09 AM   #1
dawnmichele
DIS Veteran

Talking They're opening FLE just for us! UPDATE: My 2010 Disney Book(11/17)

Here's how it started.

Last Tuesday I was having a cranky day. I don't remember what it was that got me off to a bad start in the morning, but I do remember the poison ivy I found lurking about my back yard in the afternoon. By the time Danny got home from work, I was ready to complain to somebody. He sat on the couch patiently, listening and commiserating. When I suggested we partake in 79 cent tacos for taco Tuesday at our favorite drive through, he said he thought it was a good idea.

On the way he surprised me.

"My company already decided where our Christmas party is going to be this year." he told me. In the past it's been in places like Colombus or Las Vegas or New Orleans.

"Oh yeah? Where did they choose?" I asked.

"Some place called Coronado Springs Resort," he said with a straight face. "And there's something about a pass to the park."

Hmmm, I thought. I knew it sounded familiar but I was still in crabby mode and not at all thinking right.

"Where is that? Is that the hotel in San Diego?" We had walked around the beech there on our honeymoon.

"No," he said, finally laughing. "It's at Disney World!"

Man! Is there anything more exciting than that? And how tricky is he? He knew the whole time I was complaining he had some fantastic news and he kept it till the perfect moment.

I was thrilled. It's been a tough time lately and was I ever in need of some good, exciting news! Even still I could have never guessed it would be a surprise trip to Disney World! It's magic there!

Of course I logged into the disboards as soon as we got back. I started reading everything and became so inspired with my planning and scheming! For me, planning is almost half the fun!

So here I am, a week later, full of ideas and questions and a need to talk Disney! It's so good to have an outlet for all these crazy ideas and excitement, and like minded people to share it with. Thanks for being here. I hope you'll join in!

Last edited by dawnmichele; 11-17-2012 at 11:14 AM.
dawnmichele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:58 AM   #2
dawnmichele
DIS Veteran

Chapter Index

I know I love it when people put an index of their posts at the beginning of their report, so I'm going to go ahead and start one.

Introduction
What's the stich?
Role Call!
Breaking the news
Surprise #2: Foiled
Funny Photos
Just Keep Swimming=Snagged!
You can fly, you can fly, you can fly, you can fly.
I'm hungry mother, really I am.
Disney is an eating vacation.
Time for an update. 7/23
Turning 46 and my Disney gift (card). 7/27
Our Gift Cards came 8/4
They're opening the FLE, just for us 8/25
Disney is an eating vacation! My PDR. 9/4
New Nikon d5100!!! 10/18
22 days 11/14
My 2010 Disney Memory Book 11/17

Last edited by dawnmichele; 11-17-2012 at 11:17 AM. Reason: updated index
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-03-2012, 12:22 PM   #3
wdwmom0f3
Disney Dreamer
I just spent 30 minutes on youtube watching people clean their ears out

That's exciting news!! I remember when my DH did that a few years ago. He called me to tell me about his meetings that he had coming up, and he said it was going to be in Florida. I was thinking Tampa or something, and then he told me Disney. The first thing I said is you wont be going alone to this one! It was great! I just wish they would go back because I love those extra trips to the world.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:43 PM   #4
saintstickets
DIS Veteran

Is the Company hiring?! I wanna go to work for a company that has Christmas parties in Columbus, Vegas, Nawlins and DISNEY WORLD! WOW...that is unheard of. Congratulations. That is fantastic!

DL - 1967 | WDW - 1973 (Orlando) | WDW - 1980 (Kissimmee) | WDW - 1985 (Kissimmee) | WDW - 1997 (Contemporary) | WDW - 2007 (Old Key West)
DVC - May2010 - OKW | Nov-Dec2010 - AKV/BWV | May2012 - BLT/VWL | Sep2012 - Aulani (30th anniversary) | Dec2012 - Aulani (DD honeymoon) | Oct2013 - BCV | Jun2014 - BWV | Oct2014 - DCL/BCV | Aug2015 - DCL Alaska | Dec2015 - BWV

The "Don't mess with the CMs/take less photos TR" Jun14 @ BWV
Oct13-BCV - MNSSHP, F&W, Wild Africa Trek
Sep12-Aulani - Sharks, horses, a submarine scooter, luau & Mickey
May12-BLT/VWL - Don't tell Mickey! It's NOT a bug's life! That's a dolphin's WHAT? Where's the ER? Is that a body? Seaworld, Discovery Cove, IoA, Space Center
Nov/Dec10-AKV/BWV - Backstage Magic Tour; V&A; Lots of pics and video
May10-OKW - DDP cost analysis; Wishes Dessert Party; Fantasmic
saintstickets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:18 AM   #5
dawnmichele
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwmom0f3 View Post
I just wish they would go back because I love those extra trips to the world.
I completely agree! I hope they make this an annual tradition!
Old 05-04-2012, 08:21 AM   #6
dawnmichele
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintstickets View Post
Is the Company hiring?! I wanna go to work for a company that has Christmas parties in Columbus, Vegas, Nawlins and DISNEY WORLD! WOW...that is unheard of. Congratulations. That is fantastic!
I don't know. They have offices all over the US and Canada so they try to spread out their parties, and so far they've chosen wonderful places. Personally I hope this year's party is such a hit they decide to do Disney every year!
Old 05-04-2012, 09:06 AM   #7
Deesknee
When we were kids (long time ago) they did this with cows.

WOW! How exciting! I have been there when they have closed the MK for private parties. Will it be one of those? Or will they have it at one of the places they hold weddings? Either way, I would love that!!! Geesh DH company stopped having Christmas parties years ago.

I too want to know if the company is hiring.

I also like the planning. Everyone in my family makes fun of me because I even enjoy the packing (departing. returning...not so much).

Can't wait to hear all the details. How long you will stay, what you will do...if you will take me.

Vow renewal trip report http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...0#post46760210

Triplets + singleton = living happily ever after in Mass
Deesknee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 11:19 AM   #8
dawnmichele
DIS Veteran

What's the stich?

Danny's company is providing his round trip air fare and 2 nights at the Coronado Springs Resort. They are also allowing him to add up to 3 extra nights at the CSR at their convention rate.

Well, if that isn't the universe telling us we need a family vacation! That's a message you have to listen to, right? It seems to be a good time, too. Our DD, 19, is still at living at home and going to school but that won't last forever (so I'm told). And Danny has some health issues that are degenerative, so he's not sure how many more trips he'll be up for… Of course these are all simply rationalizations because we want an "excuse" to go to Disney World! If you try hard enough, you can make any time a good time to visit the mouse.

Since the company is reserving our room, we're not sure if we'll be able to partake in things like Disney Dining. Truth is, we're still not even sure we can take DD! In the past all company parties have allowed each employee to take one adult - but surely since they picked WDW they assume people will want to bring their families. And since the rooms at CSR are for up to 4 adults… Well we've really got our fingers crossed on that one. If it turns out she can't go, we'll probably go anyway, but what a drag that would be. DD would be so sad.

There is a possibility we will add 2 more nights at the end of the trip so we can check out the Little Mermaid wing of the new Art of Animation. We're all in love with that resort and can't wait to check it out. The con of that is that since this is a surprise trip, we haven't planned or budgeted funds for it. We're trying to cut costs where we can, and this seems like an obvious one. I know 5 nights at the world isn't long enough , but it's not bad either.

Another possibility is that my brother, who is a DVC and disBoarder as well (we did a trip report together here), will come along and bring his best girl Adrianne.

That's what we know so far. I can't wait for more planning!
Old 05-16-2012, 11:05 AM   #9
dawnmichele
DIS Veteran

Role Call!

Role Call!
Here's the who.

Me first, since I'm doing the telling.
I'm Shelly. I'm 45 and didn't have my first visit to the world until I was 30 years old! I certainly grew up loving Disney though. As a child I loved Bambi and The AristoCats and Mary Poppins (as well as The Three Lives of Thomasina and Bedknobs and Broomstics and Escape to Witch Mountain!). As I got older I loved Pete's Dragon - and really hated Oliver and The Fox and the Hound. With my daughter I fell in love with The Little Mermaid and The Hunchback of Notre Dame (and Beauty and the Beast and The Lion King). I finally did make my first trip to Disney in 1996. My last one was 2010. This next trip will be my forth.

Me with Thumper and his girl. Maybe my favorite part of my 2010 visit.

When I'm not thinking of Disney, I'm a stay at home mom, for which I am very grateful. I love reading and history and travel. I like to make things - mostly paper things like mini books or a mess in my art journal. I like to cook. I blog. I take lots of pictures. I am frustrated with my camera.

Danny is my ex husband. We are still great friends and still do many things as a family, including this trip. He is 50 and a brilliant software engineer. He visited Disneyland several times as a child, and Disney World once. This trip will be his forth as well, but he hasn't been since 1997. I'm not sure of all his favorites through the years. I know recently he has really enjoyed Ratatouille and Up.

One thing that will make this trip a lot different, especially for him: He has a degenerative disc disease (combined with arthritis) that makes it impossible for him to walk long distance, and especially to stand too long. This trip will offer some challenges we haven't had to deal with before. I've visited the disAbilities board a lot already, so I'm sure we'll be able to handle them thanks to the help there. Danny's very excited and almost always willing to talk about the trip (at least for now which I appreciate so much. He also likes to reminisce about times he's been before and is quick to offer up a fun story.

Danny, Hannah and Eeyore at CP in 1996.

Hannah is our beloved, grown daughter. She is 19, and lives with us while she goes to school to study graphic design. This will be her forth trip as well. She went twice when she was a very little girl and went with me in 2010. She is a Disney lover. She grew up watching just about every Disney movie. Her tops are The Lion King, The Little Mermaid and Beauty and the Beast, but she has loved many. Her favorite part of visiting the world is "the Peter Pan effect" that makes her feel like she's 5 again the minute we get there. She is really excited, but likes to point out she is not "crazy" about it like she says I am. For example, I want to have a different Disney shirt to wear every day while we're there. She doesn't want to wear even one. She has Type 1 Diabetes and Epilepsy, so that sometimes adds a little more planning and attention on a trip. She did pretty good with it all last time, so I'm not too worried about her this time. I'm excited to see the Peter Pan effect on her again!

The girl in the Animal Kingdom, 2010

And that's us and our funny little family!

There is a chance we might be joined by my brother Brian.

My brother, acting goofy at CRT, 2010
He is a huge Disney fan and a DVC member, but whether he'll join us or not is still up in the air.

Of course I'll keep you updated!

203 days

Last edited by dawnmichele; 05-16-2012 at 04:10 PM.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:58 AM   #10
Deesknee
When we were kids (long time ago) they did this with cows.

Well ! Very nice to meet you all.

Since you mentioned you like to make things... have you been on the Creative DiSign board theads yet? I admire those people so much. They are so talented. You could combine some of your likes... art, draw picture, then camera-take photo of picture, use computer design to make things like bookmarks etc., then post them for all to ask for one of.(of course I do mean all as ...me ) hahaha

I'm enjoying reading along.

Vow renewal trip report http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...0#post46760210

Triplets + singleton = living happily ever after in Mass
Deesknee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 05:47 PM   #11
murmkc
Mouseketeer

SO JEALOUS!

I doubt I can book a trip for the time that you are there (saving points for an awesome December 2013 trip).

- but we still have the huge family trip in 2015 to look forward to!
murmkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 04:13 PM   #12
dawnmichele
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deesknee View Post
WOW! How exciting! I have been there when they have closed the MK for private parties. Will it be one of those?
We don't know yet. I am hungry for more info, and his company says they'll have more to say about it in a few weeks. They wanted to let people know asap so they could start saving, but they're not rolling out the info for a while. Maybe they're still working it out, but I can't wait to know more!

Quote:
I also like the planning. Everyone in my family makes fun of me because I even enjoy the packing (departing. returning...not so much).
I swear planning is half the fun. I love having something exciting like this to plan and anticipate. And packing? I always get started way early because I like it so much.
Old 05-17-2012, 04:17 PM   #13
dawnmichele
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Well ! Very nice to meet you all.
Well thank you so much!

Quote:
Since you mentioned you like to make things... have you been on the Creative DiSign board theads yet?
So far I have only glanced, but thanks for the encouragement. Maybe I will end up making some stuff for other Disney fans over there. I hope so, I think it would be lots of fun!
Old 05-18-2012, 03:30 PM   #14
dawnmichele
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by murmkc View Post
SO JEALOUS!

I doubt I can book a trip for the time that you are there (saving points for an awesome December 2013 trip).

- but we still have the huge family trip in 2015 to look forward to!
Awww. That's sad news for everyone involved.

And yes, Brian is planning a super sized trip for December or 2015 for all our siblings (6 of us) and our kids (5 so far). It's kind of a crazy plan, but crazy is good, right?
Old 05-23-2012, 09:40 AM   #15
dawnmichele
DIS Veteran

Breaking the news.

I made a blog post about telling our daughter we were headed back to Disney World at the end of the year. I had lots of fun getting it all ready (i.e. shopping) and watching her face as she figured it out. Here it is almost exactly from the blog.

Here's the thing I didn't tell you about Mother's Day.

For almost 3 weeks now, Danny and I have known that we're taking a family trip to Disney World this December. His office has their annual Christmas Party in a different city each year, and this year they've chosen Disney World. !!! Go Danny's office. Seriously, how fantastic is that?

We decided to keep it a secret from Hannah for a while. At first we weren't sure if his office would allow us to take her, and we weren't sure we should spend the extra money it'll take us to all go. We finally decided the trip was a go and it was time to tell Hannah.

We wanted to announce it to her in some fun and kind of surprisey way. I checked out some ideas on the web and decided to do the backpack reveal sort of surprise. I bought her a Disney bag from Walmart, and a bunch of silly Princess things at the dollar store. I threw in some travel supplies, and I bought her the Camelbak water bottle with a filter she's been asking for.

I waited till after I opened my presents and then told her I'd picked up something for her too. "For me?" she asked. "It's no big deal," I told her. "Just something I saw and thought you might like."

I handed her the bag. She unzipped it and barely glanced inside before she said,

"We're going to Disney World, aren't we?"

She's clever, that girl. I was all denial. "What? I don't know what you're talking about. Just see what's inside."

I had picked up a few things for Danny as well and shoved them in a Mickey gift bag. I gave him his.

Danny got some travel sized supplies, a different kind of filtered water bottle, a Star Wars shirt and a pack of Disney tattoos.

By that point she was pretty positive we were going, so Danny gave her the details. 5 nights at the Coronado Springs Resort at Disney World. D and I are considering adding a night or two at the new Art of Animation resort, but we'll have to give it some more thought (and number crunching).

203 days. I'm so excited.

Of course I didn't leave myself out of the get ready for Disney gifts!

I bought myself a Princess play pack from the dollar spot. It's got a sort of coloring book and some stickers. Also at the dollar spot I found the tiny flip top Princess notebook I'll take to the park and write the notes for our fantastic upcoming trip report. And who doesn't want their own set of fancy dollar store rain ponchos?

For the family...

I saw these plates at Target and could not resist adding one of each to the stack of plates in our cabinet. These have become our favorites. I don't think we've used any other plates since!

Last edited by dawnmichele; 05-26-2012 at 08:39 PM. Reason: dang! the photos weren't loading

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: