Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2012, 02:40 PM   #16
JeremytheCamel
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy4tink;44772040...
If you get there early enough, you should be able to get a spot close to the front and not need to use the tram.
So the parking lots are open for Extra Magic Hours?
JeremytheCamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 02:49 PM   #17
rwdavis2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremytheCamel View Post
So the parking lots are open for Extra Magic Hours?
They have to be. No one ius required to use Disney transportation except to the MK.
Wilderness Lodge 2004
All Star Vacation Homes 2008
Wilderness Lodge & Animal Kingdom Lodge 2012(November)
All Star Movies January 2013
Paradise Pier September 2013

Pittsburgh Dad says, "Whaddya mean you don't like sauerkraut? You want bad luck all year? Everything good that's ever happened to me started with sauerkraut! "
rwdavis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-02-2012, 02:53 PM   #18
Greysword

DIS Dad #618
Fantasmic is not rainbows and unicorns; it is a full contact sport

If this is your first visit to the Magic Kingdom at WDW, I personally recommend driving to the park and taking the ferry or monorail to the MK. This is because Disney is all about the pre-show, and the pre-preshow is the excitement of crossing the lagoon. It is great and the way it was done for decades, so you'll get the full picture.

Besides, you will need to fold the stroller and drag it on the bus, which can be a hassle. The ferry is the equivalent of a roll-on roll-off car carrier (much smaller, though ). You enter via a wide ramp on one side and exit via a ramp on the other. Literally a straight line, with a pause in the middle while the boat sails. The monorail and ferry take the same amount of time to cross, so you aren't loosing time either way. You'll need to roll the stroller onto the monorail car, but it will likely take up a majority of the center area (if you don't need to fold it).

Resort monorails are slower than the express train from the TTC, as the resort monorails stop at the resorts, which takes time.

Finally, if you drive, everyone will have a seat on the way home. After treking about all morning, it is nice to simply sit in the car seat and let the muscles relax for a bit, even if you are the driver it has an effect. Definitely a positive, especially if the little ones are sleeping.

Good luck and have fun!
- Chris, DIS Dad #618.

Greysword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 03:08 PM   #19
TJA
DIS Veteran

As far as driving to the parks versus taking the disney buses, I suggest trying it both ways. Since it's your first disney experience, it might be less stressful to let disney do the transporting to the parks. We've been in your shoes with a double jogger so we can totally relate. It's not that bad on the buses, really -- you'll get some people who will frown at you for having a double jogger, but in my opinion it's better to have the kids cozy and comfortable.
2006 ~ YC & BC
2007 ~ Poly & BC & CR
2008 ~ POR & WL & BC
2009 ~ CBR & BC CL
2010 ~ Poly & CR / BC CL
2011 ~ BC CL & Poly CL
2012 ~ WL & BC CL / CR CL
2013 ~ BC CL & Poly CL & WL CL
2014 ~ Poly CL TPV & BC CL, Poly CL TPV again
TJA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 03:28 PM   #20
chartle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysword View Post
If this is your first visit to the Magic Kingdom at WDW, I personally recommend driving to the park and taking the ferry or monorail to the MK. This is because Disney is all about the pre-show, and the pre-preshow is the excitement of crossing the lagoon. It is great and the way it was done for decades, so you'll get the full picture.

Besides, you will need to fold the stroller and drag it on the bus, which can be a hassle. The ferry is the equivalent of a roll-on roll-off car carrier (much smaller, though ). You enter via a wide ramp on one side and exit via a ramp on the other. Literally a straight line, with a pause in the middle while the boat sails. The monorail and ferry take the same amount of time to cross, so you aren't loosing time either way. You'll need to roll the stroller onto the monorail car, but it will likely take up a majority of the center area (if you don't need to fold it).

Resort monorails are slower than the express train from the TTC, as the resort monorails stop at the resorts, which takes time.

Finally, if you drive, everyone will have a seat on the way home. After treking about all morning, it is nice to simply sit in the car seat and let the muscles relax for a bit, even if you are the driver it has an effect. Definitely a positive, especially if the little ones are sleeping.

Good luck and have fun!
One note, if you drive you will still have to fold and drag the stroller onto the parking tram or walk all the way. Though if you get to the parks early that shouldn't be a problem since you should be upfront.
Old 05-02-2012, 03:51 PM   #21
JeremytheCamel
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartle View Post
One note, if you drive you will still have to fold and drag the stroller onto the parking tram or walk all the way. Though if you get to the parks early that shouldn't be a problem since you should be upfront.
We plan on getting there very early. Do the ferry and monorail operate early for EMH? I think that's one of our last concerns.

PS- this isn't our FIRST time going to Disney. We did go Summer of 2010 but we didn't stay with WDWR and we didn't have a clue what we were doing. This time we're following Scars advice. BE PREPARED!

Thanks again!
JeremytheCamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 04:44 PM   #22
chartle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
We plan on getting there very early. Do the ferry and monorail operate early for EMH? I think that's one of our last concerns.

PS- this isn't our FIRST time going to Disney. We did go Summer of 2010 but we didn't stay with WDWR and we didn't have a clue what we were doing. This time we're following Scars advice. BE PREPARED!

Thanks again!
Yes either the ferry and/or the monorail will be running, they have to, its the only way to get from the TTC (MK parking lot) to the MK. If you go really early only the resort monorail may be running but it still will drop you off at the MK front gates.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:39 AM   #23
cel_disney
DIS Veteran

We are WDW Vets and have been several times with single and double strollers...We find that its SIGNIFICANTLY easier to take the bus to/from MK than to drive there. There are just too many hassled with getting 2 kids buckled into carseats, stroller folded up into the van, driving, parking, unpacking kids and stroller, getting on tram (in one of the very few spaces that is suitable for a double stroller), getting off tram (sometimes this is harder to navigate depending on the age of your kids and how hard it is to manage your double stroller), then getting into a line (the monorail line is a lovely incline with a nearly 100+ lb stroller full of kids and stuff), waiting for the monorail, loading into a spot with room for someone to hold the stroller and a place where the kids can see out the window or sit down on a bench because they whine about riding the monorail from their stroller - thats not very fun!, then out of the monorail with MANY more people than are on a single bus to the front gates...and then there is the reverse at the end of the day...particularly to include that climb up the monorail ramp with that 100+lb double stroller! **!

The buses to MK are much more straight forward...walk to busstop, pack up stroller and wait for bus, load bus with stroller and kids, arrive at MK, unload bus, take several flat steps to front entrance....on the way out, its the same in reverse...no ramps, no multiple transfers, nada...

I dont think any magic is lost by skipping out on the MK arrival...in our family, magic is gained by the less stressful entrance...

We do often drive to Epcot and DHS. The parking situations there are very different - easily walkable, not requiring the use of the tram for all 4 of us (sometimes I take the tram with 1 or 2 kids and my DH walks with the stroller but thats just because its fun not because its required..)...

Have a wonderful trip! You will love the convenience of staying on site and onsite transportation for being able to go home mid day for a rest or to escape the heat!!
cel_disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:08 AM   #24
wdwrich
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Or you could do what my wife does when we eat breakfast at Poly.. her and the kids take the monorail to MK and I have to go move the car.
Save yourself the trouble of moving the car after breakfast. Just park at the TTC (MK parking) and use the walkway to the Poly (short 5-7 min walk). After breakfast, you can all monorail to MK together- no need to move your vehicle!

WDW - 11 visits since 1979 (Polynesian x5, P.O. Riverside x2, Contemporary x2, Yacht Club, Coronado Springs, Shades of Green). Going back in 2015.
DLR - Yearly since 1984 (AP holders)
wdwrich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:06 PM   #25
Bound and Rebound
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel_disney View Post
We find that its SIGNIFICANTLY easier to take the bus to/from MK than to drive there. There are just too many hassled with getting 2 kids buckled into carseats, stroller folded up into the van, driving, parking, unpacking kids and stroller, getting on tram (in one of the very few spaces that is suitable for a double stroller), getting off tram (sometimes this is harder to navigate depending on the age of your kids and how hard it is to manage your double stroller), then getting into a line (the monorail line is a lovely incline with a nearly 100+ lb stroller full of kids and stuff), waiting for the monorail, loading into a spot with room for someone to hold the stroller and a place where the kids can see out the window or sit down on a bench because they whine about riding the monorail from their stroller - thats not very fun!, then out of the monorail with MANY more people than are on a single bus to the front gates...and then there is the reverse at the end of the day...particularly to include that climb up the monorail ramp with that 100+lb double stroller! **!
We have never stayed onsite, but do have 2 kids and a double stroller. We find it so simple to arrive early, getting a close parking spot so we don't need to use the tram, and take the ferry across the lagoon to MK. Even when we parked further back in the lot, we've been know to walk to the ferry as it was faster to do that then wait with the crowd to cram onto the tram.

It is also a flat walk to and from the launch and our kids love the views from riding the boat. You just stroll on and to the other side, then stroll off when you land at the MK. It is very cool and breezy when you take the ferry too!

Have a great vacation!

Bound and Rebound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:13 AM   #26
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJA View Post
As far as driving to the parks versus taking the disney buses, I suggest trying it both ways. Since it's your first disney experience, it might be less stressful to let disney do the transporting to the parks. We've been in your shoes with a double jogger so we can totally relate. It's not that bad on the buses, really -- you'll get some people who will frown at you for having a double jogger, but in my opinion it's better to have the kids cozy and comfortable.
When I mentioned the hassle of taking the strollers on the buses, especially double strollers, I wasn't concerned with anyone frowning at stroller users. I know I don't. The only issue I have with stroller users??? The parents who think they can leave their kids in the strollers and just roll onto the bus, as is. Or the parents who keep their kids in the stroller all the way through the line, and then when they get to the bus door, stop everything to take the kids out, remove their bags, and fold up the stroller!! Or the parents who decide that they have to remain together..even though that means mom and the kids are sitting towards the front of the bus (when some nice person offered to give up their seats) and dad refuses to move to the back of the bus, where it's wider and the stroller isn't blocking the aisle, preventing others from boarding the bus, or having to climb over the stroller to get to the emptier rear of the bus.
But, I find that the vast majority of stroller using parents are responsible and use common sense...but as in everything else, it only takes a few bad apples to ruin it for everyone else.

Quote:

Thanks again!
The lots are open very early. That shouldn't be an issue. The ferry/monorail operate early as well. The monorail starts at 7am if I remember correctly.

goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:59 AM   #27
tbaptista
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
Yes, your resort parking pass will get you into the Theme parking for FREE.

As for parking at resorts with monorail access, those parking lots are restricted and you can't get in without a pass.. if your just visiting or dining they will give you a two hour parking pass so you can't really use them for monorail access. Or you could do what my wife does when we eat breakfast at Poly.. her and the kids take the monorail to MK and I have to go move the car..
Do they always give the 2 hour pass? Stayed at POR in July and went to chef mickey at the Contemporary never got a 2 hr pass they just let me right in. Also did the Spirit of Aloha at the Poly again they let us right in.

Now I know it is frowned upon but I did leave my car in the lots and visited MK.

Me thinks that only people who are staying completely offsite get the 2 hour pass.
tbaptista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 12:05 PM   #28
tbaptista
Mouseketeer

Also, anyone ever take the resort tram from TTC to avoid the long lines in the morning? It is great!!!

Also works when leaving to get back. Never any lines at the resort monorail and it always stop at TTC.
Old 07-27-2012, 12:07 PM   #29
gmeh1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbaptista View Post
Do they always give the 2 hour pass? Stayed at POR in July and went to chef mickey at the Contemporary never got a 2 hr pass they just let me right in. Also did the Spirit of Aloha at the Poly again they let us right in.

Now I know it is frowned upon but I did leave my car in the lots and visited MK.

Me thinks that only people who are staying completely offsite get the 2 hour pass.
Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. And no, they don't issue 2 hour passes to those that are completely offsite. They do have a sign stating that parking is NOT permitted for access to the parks at all the resorts within range of the parks. If you want to break the rules, fine, but, if you happen to get towed, don't moan about it.
gmeh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 12:09 PM   #30
tbaptista
Mouseketeer

If I had a 2 hour pass I would definitely move the vehicle or valet it but the lots seemed pretty empty when I arrived so I rolled the dice and came up big.

Tags
monorail, resorts

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: