Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2013, 10:13 AM   #1
nurse2011
Earning My Ears

Do you carry a purse?

I am going on my first cruise in two weeks, and just wonder If I will need to carry a purse? If you do, how big is it? What kind of "necessities" do you carry in it?
Old 01-04-2013, 10:16 AM   #2
DisneyOHFan
Livin' for Disney

No. I carry a camerca bag and tuck little things I may need in that.
DisneyOHFan is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-04-2013, 10:23 AM   #3
ImDMous
DIS Veteran

I carry as little as possible depending on where I'm headed. Usually it's just my Key in a lanyard holder around my neck and my camera in my hand. I made the mistake of leaving my camera behind when going to the spa for a pedicure and then Daisy showed up, missed some cute pictures. Other than that, I'm usually not carrying anything unless I'm going to the pool with a book or the theater with a sweater.

DLR - passholders, as often as possible
WDW - 3 nights Swan May 2008; 7 nights POFQ Aug 2011
DCL - Wonder 4 night Bahamas May 2008, Fantasy 7 night Caribbean May 2012
Wonder Pixar 7 night California Coast Sept 2012, Wonder WBPC 15 night May 2014
ImDMous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:24 AM   #4
ChrizJen
I am not a Koala Bear at the zoo!!
Sorry about the lack of linkage
Oh, I can't believe what I let you people rope me into!!

Yeah, the nice thing about being on the ship is that you're never too far from your stateroom. So any necessities can left there and gotten to rather quickly. I didn't carry a purse at all on our cruises.
We had a small pack (cross-body type pack) that we took with us when we left the ship at ports. But still no purse. That's one of my favorite things about being on the ship. The freedom to come and go and not worry about having to lug your whole life with you everywhere you go!
Old 01-04-2013, 10:36 AM   #5
Kimosabe
DIS Veteran

DW went the lanyard route and all she ever really had with her on the ship was the lanyard with a plastic pocket for her room key. Her purse lived in the stateroom safe (very easy to use). As a guy, I even cleaned out my wallet before the cruise and took only a credit card or two, a DL and an insurance card (and some ID cards for DD10 and DD8 that their school has made each year)...and all of that stayed in the safe except during off-ship excursions, where we would each take a credit card, DL and some cash. On the ship, I'd shove my room key in a pocket (not a big fan of wearing a lanyard when a pocket is available!) and that's all I ever needed.

As already stated, while on the ship, you're never so far from your stateroom that you couldn't go back quickly for an emergency. I'd bet that if you carried a purse on the first day, you'd probably stop within 24 hours.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:40 AM   #6
Brittmarie04
Mouseketeer

I take a small coach cross body bag for when were in ports. On the ship I don't carry much my camera and room key.
Brittmarie04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:50 AM   #7
DynamicDisneyDuo
DIS Veteran

Nope. Wouldn't even if the wife would let me.

DW uses a small purse that can strapped cross-body in some ports. Nothing at all in others, just has a little cash in pockets.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:09 AM   #8
nurse2011
Earning My Ears

Ok Thanks! I was thinking of a really small cross body bag to hold my camera, since most of my outfits don't have adequate pockets. My husband has a backpack for port excursions & will probably wear cargo shorts which could easily hold a camera.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:11 AM   #9
love280mickey
Mouseketeer

I will...but only because I recently treated myself to the Dooney & Bourke cruise ship pattern, that's been discontinued. (found it on ebay!) It's a smaller style though, but it was so cute I couldn't pass it up. Will also take it on our California trip to Disneyland this summer. (not actually take it into the parks though, there I really want my freedom)
Old 01-04-2013, 11:30 AM   #10
Luv2Diz
We love the Wonder and Magic of Disney cruising!

I carry a very small cross body to hold my camera, extra batteries, and KTTW card. Works perfectly!
DL 1969, DL 1971, DL 1972, DL 1996. WDW 1974 Offsite, 1977 Offsite, 1981 Offsite, 1985 Offsite, 1988Offsite, Sept. 2005 Shades of Green, Sept. 2008 SOG, Sept. 2009 POR, January 2010 POR, Sept. 2011 POR, Wonder Alaska 8/27/12, Magic W. Caribbean 12/1/12, Magic Bahamas 5/10/13, Disneyland April 2014
Luv2Diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:38 AM   #11
CaliforniaGirl09
DIS Veteran

I carry a bigger purse during the day, small purse at night. We have teens and use the wave phones quite a bit. They are a little too big to fit comfortably in pockets. I'm used to carrying a purse and feel weird when I don't have one with me.
CaliforniaGirl09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:43 AM   #12
manateesmom
Mouseketeer

I never carry a purse on ship, I use the lanyard and pockets. However, for ports and if you need more of a purse, I'm a fan of these http://www.hipzbag.com/, which are kind of "younger fannypacks." You can just clip it onto belt loops, or wear on a belt around your waist.

manateesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:03 PM   #13
moomy-san
DIS Veteran

I bought a D&B wristlet onboard that I kept my camera, KTTW card, advil, iphone (for games etc.) and chapstick in. It was perfect!!
DCL Western Caribbean aboard the Fantasy February 2014

Next up... DCL Eastern aboard the Fantasy with NO KIDS February 2015! And we're GOLD, Baby!
moomy-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:20 PM   #14
wendyoconnor
DIS Veteran

For excursions into port I carry a cross body that's big enough to hold my camera.

On ship I have a small Kate Spade purse that I take to dinner to hold my camera, chapstick, KTTW, and navigator or I use my DCL Dooney. The purse is much easier to give to the CM or to DH when we do character pictures.

For CC and pool time I carry a backpack to keep the cameras, kindle, knitting project, and swimsuit coverup/DH's t-shirt corralled.

For me I use what will hold my camera so I don't have to wear it around my neck.

Fort Wilderness 6/1992, Disney Magic 9/4/04, Disney Magic 9/18/05, Disney Fantasy 4/21/12, Disney Fantasy 10/19/13 upcoming Disney Wonder cruise 6/8/2015
wendyoconnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:46 PM   #15
shandrananette
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by moomy-san View Post
I bought a D&B wristlet onboard that I kept my camera, KTTW card, advil, iphone (for games etc.) and chapstick in. It was perfect!!
Oh, the wristlet is a great idea. I had my normal purse and almost no pockets, and I was always asking my husband to hold my stuff because my regular purse was just too big. Now I really want one of those wristlets for our next cruise. My birthday is right before we leave, I'll have to start dropping hints

shandrananette is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: