Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2012, 03:17 PM   #1
sue412
Earning My Ears

Need advice on Gr. Cayman Excursion

We are sailing on the Fantasy 8/4-8/11. Right now, for our day on Grand Cayman, I have booked a DCL Excursion to Stingray City. I also booked one on Moby Dick Tours after reading some good reviews.

Our trip is getting closer and I would like to cancel one. Any advice on which would be the better experience (myself, DH, DS ages 5 and 9)??

I am worried about getting to Moby Dick Tours as I have read a lot about the time it takes to get off the ship and be transported to port by the tenders. Would it be best to just stick with DCL and then I won't any worries with that since passengers on DCL excursions are first off the ship?

Also, any tips for an excursion on Costa Maya would be helpful. Right now we have nothing booked.

Thanks for any advice you may have!
sue412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 04:20 PM   #2
nelle
Mouseketeer

We just got back and we did the tour with Moby Dick. The reason we chose to use them is they allow kids of all ages and they offered snorkeling at the nearby reef.
We had a noon departure with the ship arriving in port at 10:45. We went down animators and lined up at 11am and were onshore by 11:30. As soon as we got off the tender we continued through the chain link fence and there was a guy holding a sign that said Moby Dick Tours. We followed him to a little tent where we met Mark the operator and paid him. The tour was filled with other guests that were on the Fantasy so I felt safe knowing we would all be stuck there if we got back late.
I too was worried about the whole tendering thing but it wasn't bad at all. We actually got down there a little later than I wanted and we still made it to port with plenty of time.
My one piece of advice is to use sunscreen and lots of it!! I got fried as did my DH. They don't allow shoes or any spray sunscreen to be applied while on the boat so I would lather up before you get on the bus that takes you to the boat. Our server at dinner that night teased me cause I was so red saying that lobster night was Wed not Mon.
I have pictures I will try to post them later.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-18-2012, 04:33 PM   #3
ilovetexas
DIS Veteran

I've been with Moby Dick Tours twice and love them. They have a list of everyone that booked with them and they know who they are waiting for. Unless you just hang out on the ship as opposed to getting in the tender line and going to shore, they aren't going to leave without you. Plus, the tender is quick.

I'd like to point out, while DCL cruisers will be reading this, that I was HORRIFIED when we went with Moby Dick Tours while cruising the Fantasy in May. The boat was full of DCL cruisers (we were the only ship in port that day) and DH and I were two of only about four people who tipped the tour guides. These guys go out of their way to be fun, entertaining, and keep everyone safe and I was more than a little irritated that they weren't tipped. One family was so amazingly rude, they constantly talked while the guides were giving their talks (which included safety information). Guess the dad in the family might have avoided cutting the crap out of himself on the coral if he had paid attention. As you might imagine, they didn't tip, even after the guides had to haul him back in the boat and take care of his coral burns.

The moral of this story is, be nice and tip for service rendered. Ok, I'm off my soapbox now. Moby Dick Tours is fabulous, inexpensive, they take kids of any age, and you will have a great day.
Old 07-18-2012, 06:03 PM   #4
aberrydisneygirl
I love Disney

We booked through Disney on our cruise in March. Glad we did because due to a storm we ended up going to GC a day later than planned and Disney took care of the canceling and it was easy to reschedule at the excursion desk. However, they did also cancel the stingray city because of rough waters, where the outside companies did not cancel. We ended up doing an island tour with the turtle farm and that was a ton of fun, but I am sad we missed the stingrays. So good and bad about booking with Disney.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:28 PM   #5
Goofy559
Cruise Junkie

Definitely do the GC stingrays onyour own. Far less crowded. If for some reason you don't dock they will refund or reschedule....In costa maya, I highly recommend maya chan. Great food and drinks, kid friendly. I've been twice and loved it both times.

Disney Cast Member 1985 (Canadian Pavillion at Epcot) and 20+ Disney World visits
MV Britnannis 1982 no stabilizers!, MV Bolero -- Transatlantic -- 1991 and A bunch of others with my dad , Carnival 3-night Bahamas 2004, Disney Magic W Carib 2005, 2007, 2009, Med 2010, Sun Princess S Carib 2006, Adventure of the Seas S Carib 2008, Coral Princess Alaska 2008, Wonder 3-day bounceback 2009, Diamond Princess 16 night SE Asia Mar 2010, Disney Dream MV - Jan 2011, Allure of the Seas - Mar 2011, Disney Dream June 2011, Disney Fantasy MV - Mar 2012, Magic to Canada -Aug 2012, Wonder - California Oct 2012, Fantasy to San Juan - Mar 2013, Royal Princess MV - 21 days in Europe

[
Goofy559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 07:40 AM   #6
sue412
Earning My Ears

Thank you SO much! I am going to stick with Moby Dick tours. I have read so many positive things and after hearing that the tender is not going to be an issue we will go with them.

Thanks also for the reminder about the tipping. I totally agree! Hopefully others will read this and follow suit.

Take care!
sue412 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: