Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2012, 02:00 PM   #91
SaraJayne
Stop moving those smilies!
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 12,075

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmasm View Post
That's what I thought happened too.

I guess at this point I'm wondering where things stand. Does he have temporary custody? Was the adoption ever finalized? Are there any other legal procedings in the future?
If you find out, could you let us know, please?
SaraJayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 02:03 PM   #92
Pea-n-Me
Survivor
Call me crazy but I prefer the single bath
Nothing beats the Magic of a Disney Resort!
Will DIS from the Potty
Alice, how's it hanging?
 
Pea-n-Me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Southeastern Coast of Massachusetts
Posts: 21,831

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizBelle View Post
It doesn't matter wht she told him. What matters is what is in the document that he signed.
Does it matter if the document was signed under false pretenses?
__________________



Post your best iPhone/smartphone pictures here!

All Star Music 2001/Polynesian Lagoon View Concierge 2002/Contemporary 2003/Disney Wonder 2003/Yacht Club and Disney Wonder 2004/Pop Century 2005/Dolphin and Pop Century MNSSHP 2005/Disney Magic and Pop Century 2006/Coronado Springs MNSSHP 2006/Dolphin and Disney Wonder 2007/Port Orleans Riverside 2008/Caribbean Beach 2009/Dolphin and Animal Kingdom Lodge Concierge 2011/Grand Floridian and Dolphin, MNSSHP 2013
Pea-n-Me is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 05-03-2012, 02:06 PM   #93
jrmasm
Last time I checked, it was still the thought that counted
Wanna debate that topic?
So elegant but goofy!!
 
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 7,148

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraJayne View Post
If you find out, could you let us know, please?
It's weird how little information is available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pea-n-Me View Post
Does it matter if the document was signed under false pretenses?
Only to me.
__________________
What?
jrmasm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 02:10 PM   #94
PaulaSB12
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Kettering, UK
Posts: 6,046

Quote:
Originally Posted by tammymacb View Post
Again. Because he signed away his parental rights. He admits that. His attorney admits that. You don't get to do that and then go wait, that's not what I want.

He doesn't even deny that he signed away his rights and if he cared so much, why would he do that at all? Oh, because he's already supporting another child with another ex...how many can he afford?
That is nothing to do with this his daughter should stay with him, and by fighting the couple who wanted to adopt her will probably find that no adoption agency wants to deal with them. It is sad but being a parent is not a right infertility is a fact of life that another person doesn't have to solve, the biological father has changed his mind so stop expecting him to give someone else a child just because they can't have one.
PaulaSB12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 02:27 PM   #95
Mickey Fliers
(Not so)Tagless
"Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. And sometimes, it rains"
Don't hate me for the love of the boy band
 
Mickey Fliers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Until the Navy says otherwise: Yokosuka, Kanagawa, Japan
Posts: 4,803

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaSB12 View Post
That is nothing to do with this his daughter should stay with him, and by fighting the couple who wanted to adopt her will probably find that no adoption agency wants to deal with them. It is sad but being a parent is not a right infertility is a fact of life that another person doesn't have to solve, the biological father has changed his mind so stop expecting him to give someone else a child just because they can't have one.
That is really all sorts of twisted.
__________________
Mickey Fliers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 02:29 PM   #96
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 20,034

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaSB12 View Post
That is nothing to do with this his daughter should stay with him, and by fighting the couple who wanted to adopt her will probably find that no adoption agency wants to deal with them. It is sad but being a parent is not a right infertility is a fact of life that another person doesn't have to solve, the biological father has changed his mind so stop expecting him to give someone else a child just because they can't have one.
Actually in this case it is, and he signed that right away and therefore legally doesn't have any ground to stand on as far as changing his mind. Unfortunately for that litte girl and her parents, there was a loophole he found. If there was no ICWA, this couple wouldn't have to be fighting for their child.
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 02:32 PM   #97
tammymacb
Under da sea, under da sea, darlin' it's betta down where it's wetta take it from me!
 
tammymacb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,956

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmy3 View Post
Actually in this case it is, and he signed that right away and therefore legally doesn't have any ground to stand on as far as changing his mind. Unfortunately for that litte girl and her parents, there was a loophole he found. If there was no ICWA, this couple wouldn't have to be fighting for their child.
Exactly. If she wasn't a minute bit American Indian, this would have been over a long time ago.
tammymacb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 02:36 PM   #98
Nennie
Insert funny comment here!
 
Nennie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,162

I have a dear friend who lost her son when he was 6 months old, due to the ICWA.

That was 2 years ago, and she obviously still thinks about him every day. What's even more heartbreaking, is that his older brother still asks for him and has even asked more than once if his little brother had died, b/c he doesn't understand why he was taken away.
__________________


Trips since we joined DVC (and upcoming trips too!)
10/05 - Beach Club Villas;1/06 - Beach Club Villas; 9/06 - Beach Club Villas
1/07 - Beach Club Villas; 5/07 - Beach Club Villas;9/07 - Beach Club Villas
5/08 - Boardwalk Villas; 5/09 - Boardwalk Villas (Baby's first trip!);5/09 - Boardwalk Villas (Baby's second trip! LOL!)
9/09 - Bay Lake Tower;9/10 - POP (3 nights FD) followed by Beach Club Villas
1/11 - Beach Club Villas; 5/11 Boardwalk; 9/11 - Beach Club Villas; 9/12 Bay Lake Tower
12/12 Saratoga; 1/13 Beach Club; 7/13 Offsite; 9/13 Beach Club
Nennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 02:36 PM   #99
tammymacb
Under da sea, under da sea, darlin' it's betta down where it's wetta take it from me!
 
tammymacb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,956

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmasm View Post
That's what I thought happened too.

I guess at this point I'm wondering where things stand. Does he have temporary custody? Was the adoption ever finalized? Are there any other legal procedings in the future?
The SC Supreme Court heard the case last month. Everyone is expecting a ruling in May.
tammymacb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 02:39 PM   #100
DizBelle
CSI: Can't Stand Idiots
Slimy yet satisfying?
 
DizBelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: It ain't WDW like I want it to be!
Posts: 13,216

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pea-n-Me View Post
Does it matter if the document was signed under false pretenses?
That's the point of a written out document. Everything is spelled out.

You can't sign a contract and then say "Oops, I didn't mean to." Did he not read the contract he signed?
__________________

Veni, vidi, Visa (I came, I saw, I shopped)

Some people should use a glue stick instead of chapstick.

====================================

====================================
DizBelle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 03:00 PM   #101
Pea-n-Me
Survivor
Call me crazy but I prefer the single bath
Nothing beats the Magic of a Disney Resort!
Will DIS from the Potty
Alice, how's it hanging?
 
Pea-n-Me's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Southeastern Coast of Massachusetts
Posts: 21,831

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizBelle View Post
That's the point of a written out document. Everything is spelled out.

You can't sign a contract and then say "Oops, I didn't mean to." Did he not read the contract he signed?
I don't know what he read or what he was told or what he signed. Do you?

Are you saying that in the document he signed, it was written that the child was being placed in an adoptive home?
__________________



Post your best iPhone/smartphone pictures here!

All Star Music 2001/Polynesian Lagoon View Concierge 2002/Contemporary 2003/Disney Wonder 2003/Yacht Club and Disney Wonder 2004/Pop Century 2005/Dolphin and Pop Century MNSSHP 2005/Disney Magic and Pop Century 2006/Coronado Springs MNSSHP 2006/Dolphin and Disney Wonder 2007/Port Orleans Riverside 2008/Caribbean Beach 2009/Dolphin and Animal Kingdom Lodge Concierge 2011/Grand Floridian and Dolphin, MNSSHP 2013
Pea-n-Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 03:10 PM   #102
tammymacb
Under da sea, under da sea, darlin' it's betta down where it's wetta take it from me!
 
tammymacb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,956

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pea-n-Me View Post
I don't know what he read or what he was told or what he signed. Do you?

Are you saying that in the document he signed, it was written that the child was being placed in an adoptive home?
He's a grown adult in the military. He has free legal council at his avail. If he didn't read it, or didn't understand it and still signed it, how is that anyone's problem but his?
tammymacb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 03:12 PM   #103
tammymacb
Under da sea, under da sea, darlin' it's betta down where it's wetta take it from me!
 
tammymacb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,956

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pea-n-Me View Post
I don't know what he read or what he was told or what he signed. Do you?

Are you saying that in the document he signed, it was written that the child was being placed in an adoptive home?
Seriously, I just don't get this. He KNEW he was signing off his parental rights. It doesn't MATTER if the document said the child was being placed for adoption. If he knew he was giving up his rights, he has NO RIGHT to contest where the child was placed from there.
tammymacb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 03:28 PM   #104
jrmasm
Last time I checked, it was still the thought that counted
Wanna debate that topic?
So elegant but goofy!!
 
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 7,148

Quote:
Originally Posted by tammymacb View Post
Seriously, I just don't get this. He KNEW he was signing off his parental rights. It doesn't MATTER if the document said the child was being placed for adoption. If he knew he was giving up his rights, he has NO RIGHT to contest where the child was placed from there.
Again, if he signed a document (what document, does anyone know?) stating that he was waiving his parenal rights to the biological mother with the understanding that she would keep the child and that is not what ended up happening, I think it should matter.

His ICWA claim was a hail mary. I'm not sure how I feel about that but I'd sure like to know what really went on between the two biological parents. Someone is not telling the truth.
__________________
What?
jrmasm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 03:29 PM   #105
jrmasm
Last time I checked, it was still the thought that counted
Wanna debate that topic?
So elegant but goofy!!
 
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 7,148

Quote:
Originally Posted by tammymacb View Post
The SC Supreme Court heard the case last month. Everyone is expecting a ruling in May.
Thanks
__________________
What?
jrmasm is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:44 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: