Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2012, 10:25 AM   #76
DizBelle
CSI: Can't Stand Idiots
Slimy yet satisfying?
 
DizBelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: It ain't WDW like I want it to be!
Posts: 13,278

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmasm View Post
From the article:

One filing on behalf of the Capobiancos says Brown testified that he would give up his rights to Veronica to Maldonado so long as he "would not be responsible in any way for child support or anything else as far as the child's concerned."

Brown's attorney, Shannon Jones, said her client never made that statement. Jones said Brown thought that Maldonado planned to raise their daughter, and he thought he had signed away his rights to her.

"In his mind, he thought that would make her happy, and she would come back and marry him," Jones said. As soon as Brown learned of the adoption, she said, he fought it.

He said, she said.
I don't think it matters what is "in his mind". What matters is what he signed. If he signed papers relinquishing all rights to the child to the mother, then that includes any decisions that need to be made concerning the child. This would include putting the child up for adoption. Why does he think "giving up his rights" still gives him rights?
__________________

Veni, vidi, Visa (I came, I saw, I shopped)

Some people should use a glue stick instead of chapstick.

====================================

====================================
DizBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:36 AM   #77
jrmasm
Last time I checked, it was still the thought that counted
Wanna debate that topic?
So elegant but goofy!!
 
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 7,267

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizBelle View Post
I don't think it matters what is "in his mind". What matters is what he signed. If he signed papers relinquishing all rights to the child to the mother, then that includes any decisions that need to be made concerning the child. This would include putting the child up for adoption. Why does he think "giving up his rights" still gives him rights?
But maybe not if there was fraud involved.
__________________
What?
jrmasm is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 05-03-2012, 10:42 AM   #78
tammymacb
Under da sea, under da sea, darlin' it's betta down where it's wetta take it from me!
 
tammymacb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,956

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmasm View Post
But maybe not if there was fraud involved.
He admits he signed the papers. He had counsel available to him for free through the military.

How, exactly can there be fraud?

Let me ask you this...if someone had a child out of wedlock and bio mom decides to keep the baby. Dad doesn't want to pay support so he signs away his legal rights to said baby. Mom gets a fabulous job in China and moves across the world. Does Dad now get to fight Mom because he has no access to the baby and she's out of the country. Maybe forever?

No, he signed his rights away. Hence, he has no rights at all.
tammymacb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 10:54 AM   #79
jrmasm
Last time I checked, it was still the thought that counted
Wanna debate that topic?
So elegant but goofy!!
 
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 7,267

Quote:
Originally Posted by tammymacb View Post
He admits he signed the papers. He had counsel available to him for free through the military.

How, exactly can there be fraud?
Let me ask you this...if someone had a child out of wedlock and bio mom decides to keep the baby. Dad doesn't want to pay support so he signs away his legal rights to said baby. Mom gets a fabulous job in China and moves across the world. Does Dad now get to fight Mom because he has no access to the baby and she's out of the country. Maybe forever?

No, he signed his rights away. Hence, he has no rights at all.
I have no idea what the conversations were between the two biological parents during the pregnancy. And neither do you.

Maybe she said if you don't sign your rights over to me, I'll make sure you never see this baby. Maybe she didn't. Maybe he's an idiot. Maybe he's a liar. Maybe she's a liar. We have no idea what really happened. With a gag order issed, I don't think we'll ever know.


But nothing you've posted or I've been able to find on my own convinces me that he shouldn't have custody of his daughter.



And to your scenario, since adoption and moving are such vastly different things I have no idea what you think one has to do with other.
__________________
What?
jrmasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:08 AM   #80
tammymacb
Under da sea, under da sea, darlin' it's betta down where it's wetta take it from me!
 
tammymacb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,956

Because if you give up your parental rights, you give up all your rights. He doesn't get to pick that the child can live with it's mother, and he won't support it, but she can't place the child for adoption.

It's pretty simple.

And if the fact that he ADMITS that he signed away custody of the child doesn't convince you that he should not have custody, you're not really worth arguing with.
tammymacb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:24 AM   #81
jrmasm
Last time I checked, it was still the thought that counted
Wanna debate that topic?
So elegant but goofy!!
 
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 7,267

Quote:
Originally Posted by tammymacb View Post
Because if you give up your parental rights, you give up all your rights. He doesn't get to pick that the child can live with it's mother, and he won't support it, but she can't place the child for adoption.

It's pretty simple.

And if the fact that he ADMITS that he signed away custody of the child doesn't convince you that he should not have custody, you're not really worth arguing with.




Cool, then don't respond to me.

I believe what he said is that he agreed for the biological mother to raise the child but that he didn't agree to her being put up for adoption. If she told him that she was going to keep the baby and then put her adoption, then in my mind, that's fraud.

And why does she get to change her mind and not him?

But again, no one knows what the truth is.
__________________
What?
jrmasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:26 AM   #82
Heidict
I'm not witty enough for a tag... but you can count on me to save all the good deleted posts!
 
Heidict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Shoreline in CT
Posts: 4,561

Quote:
Originally Posted by tammymacb View Post
Because if you give up your parental rights, you give up all your rights. He doesn't get to pick that the child can live with it's mother, and he won't support it, but she can't place the child for adoption.

It's pretty simple.

And if the fact that he ADMITS that he signed away custody of the child doesn't convince you that he should not have custody, you're not really worth arguing with.
You seem to be taking this way to personal, or at least that is how all of your posts are coming across. Very aggressive and angry. Telling someone they are not worth arguing with because they don't agree with is not rational.

Just because someone isn't taking ONE news story and running with it and instead is objectively waiting to hear BOTH sides of the story before judging doesn't make them wrong. There is a gag order in place and limited information. For all we know he is lying through his teeth and shouldn't have custody, but you know what? The mother may well have been lying through her teeth about everything also.

Until there is a way to actually see what the court is seeing there is NO WAY anyone can say beyond a reasonable doubt what really happened.
__________________
Me DH DD-8 DD- 2


Heidict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:28 AM   #83
tammymacb
Under da sea, under da sea, darlin' it's betta down where it's wetta take it from me!
 
tammymacb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,956

Again. Because he signed away his parental rights. He admits that. His attorney admits that. You don't get to do that and then go wait, that's not what I want.

He doesn't even deny that he signed away his rights and if he cared so much, why would he do that at all? Oh, because he's already supporting another child with another ex...how many can he afford?
tammymacb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:37 AM   #84
sunshinehighway
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 4,420

Quote:
Originally Posted by tammymacb View Post
Again. Because he signed away his parental rights. He admits that. His attorney admits that. You don't get to do that and then go wait, that's not what I want.

He doesn't even deny that he signed away his rights and if he cared so much, why would he do that at all? Oh, because he's already supporting another child with another ex...how many can he afford?
The child is currently with him so I guess he does get to do that.
sunshinehighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 02:18 PM   #85
DizBelle
CSI: Can't Stand Idiots
Slimy yet satisfying?
 
DizBelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: It ain't WDW like I want it to be!
Posts: 13,278

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmasm View Post


Cool, then don't respond to me.

I believe what he said is that he agreed for the biological mother to raise the child but that he didn't agree to her being put up for adoption. If she told him that she was going to keep the baby and then put her adoption, then in my mind, that's fraud.

And why does she get to change her mind and not him?

But again, no one knows what the truth is.
It doesn't matter wht she told him. What matters is what is in the document that he signed. If he gave up his rights to the child, it included the right to say who was going to raise her. If he gave up his rights, he has no say-so whatsoever in the childs upbringing. Zero, nada, zilch. That's what giving up your rights means.
__________________

Veni, vidi, Visa (I came, I saw, I shopped)

Some people should use a glue stick instead of chapstick.

====================================

====================================
DizBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 02:50 PM   #86
SaraJayne
Stop moving those smilies!
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 12,075

Quote:
Originally Posted by tammymacb View Post
Again. Because he signed away his parental rights. He admits that. His attorney admits that. You don't get to do that and then go wait, that's not what I want.

He doesn't even deny that he signed away his rights and if he cared so much, why would he do that at all? Oh, because he's already supporting another child with another ex...how many can he afford?
Since he currently has custody, the courts disagree with you.
SaraJayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 02:54 PM   #87
jrmasm
Last time I checked, it was still the thought that counted
Wanna debate that topic?
So elegant but goofy!!
 
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 7,267

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizBelle View Post
It doesn't matter wht she told him. What matters is what is in the document that he signed. If he gave up his rights to the child, it included the right to say who was going to raise her. If he gave up his rights, he has no say-so whatsoever in the childs upbringing. Zero, nada, zilch. That's what giving up your rights means.
Obviously, I disagree.
__________________
What?
jrmasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 02:55 PM   #88
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 20,034

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraJayne View Post
Since he currently has custody, the courts disagree with you.
I'm not sure the courts agree that he is allowed to change his mind after giving up his parental rights. More like they are forced to award him custody due to the ICWA.
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 02:59 PM   #89
SaraJayne
Stop moving those smilies!
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 12,075

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmy3 View Post
I'm not sure the courts agree that he is allowed to change his mind after giving up his parental rights. More like they are forced to award him custody due to the ICWA.
I'm not sure. I still can't find an unbiased source, so I don't know what the reasoning behind the custody transfer was.
SaraJayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 02:59 PM   #90
jrmasm
Last time I checked, it was still the thought that counted
Wanna debate that topic?
So elegant but goofy!!
 
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 7,267

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmy3 View Post
I'm not sure the courts agree that he is allowed to change his mind after giving up his parental rights. More like they are forced to award him custody due to the ICWA.
That's what I thought happened too.

I guess at this point I'm wondering where things stand. Does he have temporary custody? Was the adoption ever finalized? Are there any other legal procedings in the future?
__________________
What?
jrmasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:14 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright Š 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: