Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2012, 04:22 AM   #286
PaulaSB12
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbi View Post
Our adopted daughter is 18. If anyone had tried to take her away when she was a toddler, we'd have disappeared.
Did you illegally adopt her against the father's wishes, it was bad enough when Dusten Brown's ex girlfriend did it. Now we have a husband being screwed by the wife giving his daughter away out of malice.

this is what the wife said
Bland, 29, stepped forward earlier this week to give her side of the story — something she said she also tried to do back in October as the case went to trial and she felt maligned.

"The world needs to know I was left with nothing," Bland said in an interview with The Salt Lake Tribune Friday. "Nobody lived that dark time with me. ... I could only do what I could do at the time."\
what the husband proved to a judge
Achane successfully bid for a job as a drill sergeant at Fort Jackson in South Carolina and was told to report for duty by Feb. 1, 2011. Achane said he left Texas on Jan. 17, 2011, to find a home for his family before starting the new assignment. Bland wanted to stay in Texas to give birth, and Achane said he planned to come back for the delivery. He expected Bland to then join him in South Carolina.

Achane continued to deposit funds in their joint bank account, which was set up to automatically pay mortgage and other household bills. Achane said his wife also had access to money to pay for groceries, as well as pregnancy and living expenses. But Bland said there was little money left over for her and she felt Achane had no interest in their baby.
You don't have the right to steal another persons child and I would hope if you did run in this sort of case you would end up in prison.
PaulaSB12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 04:32 AM   #287
Robbi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaSB12 View Post
Did you illegally adopt her against the father's wishes, it was bad enough when Dusten Brown's ex girlfriend did it. Now we have a husband being screwed by the wife giving his daughter away out of malice.

this is what the wife said
Bland, 29, stepped forward earlier this week to give her side of the story — something she said she also tried to do back in October as the case went to trial and she felt maligned.

"The world needs to know I was left with nothing," Bland said in an interview with The Salt Lake Tribune Friday. "Nobody lived that dark time with me. ... I could only do what I could do at the time."\
what the husband proved to a judge
Achane successfully bid for a job as a drill sergeant at Fort Jackson in South Carolina and was told to report for duty by Feb. 1, 2011. Achane said he left Texas on Jan. 17, 2011, to find a home for his family before starting the new assignment. Bland wanted to stay in Texas to give birth, and Achane said he planned to come back for the delivery. He expected Bland to then join him in South Carolina.

Achane continued to deposit funds in their joint bank account, which was set up to automatically pay mortgage and other household bills. Achane said his wife also had access to money to pay for groceries, as well as pregnancy and living expenses. But Bland said there was little money left over for her and she felt Achane had no interest in their baby.
You don't have the right to steal another persons child and I would hope if you did run in this sort of case you would end up in prison.
We did a private closed adoption and never met the parents. I'm guessing our attorney did everything above board.

Wishing someone was in prison kind of says you might be a wee bit too emotionally involved.
Robbi is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-08-2012, 08:51 AM   #288
snarlingcoyote
I know people who live in really carpy school districts

Quote:
We did a private closed adoption and never met the parents. I'm guessing our attorney did everything above board.

Wishing someone was in prison kind of says you might be a wee bit too emotionally involved.
Uhmm. . .saying that you would've dissappeared if someone called into question your DD's adoption kinda' also says you might be a wee bit too emotionally involved, don'tcha think?
snarlingcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 08:55 AM   #289
zoemurr
DIS Veteran

The father

Quote:
Our adopted daughter is 18. If anyone had tried to take her away when she was a toddler, we'd have disappeared.
asked for her back long before she was a toddler. It's the adoptive parents that dragged this out through the court system for years.
zoemurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 10:20 AM   #290
PaulaSB12
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoemurr View Post
asked for her back long before she was a toddler. It's the adoptive parents that dragged this out through the court system for years.
Yet again as with the Dusten Brown case, the Emma wyatt case (where the father was given custody) Utah has to be told to obey rules on this its way to easy to deprive a father of his rights in that state.
Old 12-08-2012, 01:04 PM   #291
Robbi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarlingcoyote View Post
Uhmm. . .saying that you would've dissappeared if someone called into question your DD's adoption kinda' also says you might be a wee bit too emotionally involved, don'tcha think?
Uhmm, I have one post in this thread. I was talking about my daughter so I would be emotional, duh. It's a little different than getting all bent out of shape about a stranger's child.
Robbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 01:15 PM   #292
tasha99
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Uhmm, I have one post in this thread. I was talking about my daughter so I would be emotional, duh. It's a little different than getting all bent out of shape about a stranger's child.
Uh, no. There was a crime here. The biological mother should go to prison, the adoption agency should be heavily fined, and the adoptive parents should be ashamed of themselves for trying to justify keeping the baby. If they do not return the baby, the baby should be forcibly taken from them, and they should be charged with a crime. They are trying to justify a kidnapping after the fact because they will feel a loss when they return the child to her father.
tasha99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 01:29 PM   #293
snarlingcoyote

Quote:
So you have no skin in the game?

ETA: If what you're trying to say is that only people who have adopted should be allowed to have a strong opinion on this case, I'm sorry, we'll have to strongly disagree.
Old 12-08-2012, 01:33 PM   #294
msjprincess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaSB12 View Post
They have changed the story on the web site
from this
Matt and Melanie adopted Veronica after her birth mom handpicked them to be her parents. Two years later, Veronica’s biological father, Dusten, decided he wanted to raise Veronica, and Matt and Melanie were forced to hand over their daughter. Dusten, who is part Cherokee Indian, was able to reclaim his daughter pursuant to the Indian Child Welfare Act (ICWA), which was enacted “to protect the best interests of Indian children and to promote the stability and security of Indian tribes and families.
To this which changes the whole slant of the story rather than say he waited two years they at least say he started fighting for her at 4 months

Matt and Melanie adopted Veronica after her birth mom handpicked them to be her parents. When Veronica’s biological father, Dusten, was notified about the adoption four months later, he decided he wanted to raise her, even though he had little involvement during the pregnancy and with the birth mother since Veronica’s birth. Dusten, who is part Cherokee Indian, was able to reclaim his daughter pursuant to the Indian Child Welfare Act (ICWA), which was enacted “to protect the best interests of Indian children and to promote the stability and security of Indian tribes and families.”
Do you have a link to the above?

Everything I have read said he signed away his rights and then changed his mind 4 months later.
msjprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 01:54 PM   #295
snarlingcoyote

Quote:
Originally Posted by msjprincess View Post
Do you have a link to the above?

Everything I have read said he signed away his rights and then changed his mind 4 months later.
That poster was just quoting Dr. Phil's website.

I went out to find the promo text and went to his website. Not that I had a lot of respect for him or his producers before this, but in finding the linke, I had to listen to about 10 seconds of the promos for this show and it made me . He and the folks who make his show aren't worth a bucket of warm spit, IMHO.

http://drphil.com/shows/show/1895/
Old 12-08-2012, 06:36 PM   #296
PaulaSB12
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarlingcoyote View Post
That poster was just quoting Dr. Phil's website.

I went out to find the promo text and went to his website. Not that I had a lot of respect for him or his producers before this, but in finding the linke, I had to listen to about 10 seconds of the promos for this show and it made me . He and the folks who make his show aren't worth a bucket of warm spit, IMHO.

http://drphil.com/shows/show/1895/
I watched his program on the "stalking and murder" of Morgan her parents are claiming over half a dozen people. Entered their house without anyone knowing and mud erred their daughter, and he allowed this to be on his show. Heis after Raines nd doesn't mind who he hurts and he isn't licensed to preactice these days he let that lapse
Old 01-04-2013, 03:03 PM   #297
zippingalong
Mouseketeer

The Supreme Court has ruled...

They will hear Veronica's case. Hoping for some justice. Finally.
zippingalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:45 AM   #298
PaulaSB12
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippingalong View Post

Justice for Veronica would be to leave her with her family the cabobianca's are selfish worthless cowards who I wouldn't leave with a dog let alone a child.I editied out scum because I thought it might be a bit too far but really this attitude they have I cant have a baby so i want yours. Infertility is a very sad thing but life doesn't give you rights you don't have the right to a child sometimes life or god or whatever says no. That doesn't mean you have the right to take another mans child. A man who fought for his country some thins the husband was too cowardly to do.

Last edited by PaulaSB12; 01-07-2013 at 01:37 PM.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:29 PM   #299
Pea-n-Me
Survivor
Call me crazy but I prefer the single bath
Nothing beats the Magic of a Disney Resort!
Will DIS from the Potty
Alice, how's it hanging?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippingalong View Post
Interesting article: http://www.boston.com/news/nation/20...pnO/story.html

Quote:
One legal scholar said the fact the court agreed to hear the Capobiancos case means the justices may be looking to overturn part of the law or reverse it altogether.

And thats a shock because we have 250 years of precedent that Congress has broad authority to legislate in terms of Indian affairs, said Marcia Zug, professor of Indian issues at the University of South Carolina School of Law.

The court has not yet set a date to hear the case.

The couples adoption attorneys knew these issues might come up, writing to the Cherokees to determine if Veronica had Indian heritage, Zug said. But they proceeded with the adoption anyway.

They didnt get any kind of green light from the tribe, Zug said. What should have happened was follow up, get more information. If that had happened, she should have been placed with her father.

Terry Cross, executive director of the Portland, Ore.-based National Indian Child Welfare Association, agreed.

The attorneys at least knew this was an illegal adoption, and its never in the best interest of the child to pursue an illegal adoption, Cross said.

Post your best iPhone/smartphone pictures here!

All Star Music 2001/Polynesian Lagoon View Concierge 2002/Contemporary 2003/Disney Wonder 2003/Yacht Club and Disney Wonder 2004/Pop Century 2005/Dolphin and Pop Century MNSSHP 2005/Disney Magic and Pop Century 2006/Coronado Springs MNSSHP 2006/Dolphin and Disney Wonder 2007/Port Orleans Riverside 2008/Caribbean Beach 2009/Dolphin and Animal Kingdom Lodge Concierge 2011/Grand Floridian and Dolphin, MNSSHP 2013
Pea-n-Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:04 PM   #300
snarlingcoyote

Yeah, of all the cases, this isn't the one I'd pick, if I were the justices. There were folks intentionally, willfully, knowingly flouting the law.

Also, I'm kind of wondering under what theory they'd overturn the law.

Yeah, like the tribes wouldn't be up in arms if the ICWA was overturned - with very good reason. I get a very sick, queasy feeling at the thought of the hands of time being turned back to the bad ole' days.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: