Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2012, 11:22 AM   #31
jaminmd
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sWDW4me View Post
planning my FE now.

** SPOILER ALERT -
and ports of call listed on the sides in bright, Caribbean colors, bubble letters? "Best gift" potential or I'm-not-even-taking-it-home tacky?
In all fairness, I don't get the whole FE thing, so take that for what it's worth. However, I think most people would pitch something like this, especially if it didn't match their decor or just isn't their style.

Not being mean, just answering your question with my opinion.
jaminmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 11:26 AM   #32
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
planning my FE now.

** SPOILER ALERT - don't read if you're on the 8/18/12 Fantasy Western and don't want to know what your possible FE gift may be **

What would you all think of a tissue box cover (wooden) decorated with our cruise info on the top and ports of call listed on the sides in bright, Caribbean colors, bubble letters? "Best gift" potential or I'm-not-even-taking-it-home tacky?
I don't know how many rooms are on your FE list, but I would think that would be a bit bulky packing-wise. Plus, someone receiving one would then need to worry about packing it so it won't break.

I always appreciate candy.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-06-2012, 11:27 AM   #33
It'sWDW4me
Fairly new... still gets a tag :)
HOLD THE PHONE!
I think it's easier to reason with a CHIMPANZEE than to reason with a tween/early teen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminmd View Post
In all fairness, I don't get the whole FE thing, so take that for what it's worth. However, I think most people would pitch something like this, especially if it didn't match their decor or just isn't their style.

Not being mean, just answering your question with my opinion.
Thanks - this is why I asked. I don't want to waste my time or $$ making something that won't be well received. :

WDW Commando Member #120

Me; DS (17); Bear (6); Cosmo (6? He's a stray who found his home with us)

No more tickers for a very long while.

March 1986 - offsite; March 2002 - offsite; August 2006 - POP; August 2007 - OKW (free upgrade from ASMo!); August 2008 - POR; August 2010 - CBR ; August 2012 - DCL's Fantasy ; July 2013 - POP & 1st solo trip!
It'sWDW4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 11:38 AM   #34
jessica52877
DIS Veteran

Quote:
planning my FE now.

** SPOILER ALERT - don't read if you're on the 8/18/12 Fantasy Western and don't want to know what your possible FE gift may be **

What would you all think of a tissue box cover (wooden) decorated with our cruise info on the top and ports of call listed on the sides in bright, Caribbean colors, bubble letters? "Best gift" potential or I'm-not-even-taking-it-home tacky?
I would probably enjoy it! I'm okay with having fun stuff around the house though! I would much prefer crafty and homemade over candy (although I'm not against the candy, DS and DH love it and on the ship it nice to have.

Ebay ID - Jessica52877
jessica52877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 12:24 PM   #35
wltdsnyfan

DIS Veteran

Quote:
planning my FE now.

I would like it. I would take it to work for my tissue box. This was I could think of the cruise. And if having a bad day I could look at it and remember the good time and hope that would help.

Old 05-06-2012, 12:32 PM   #36
Pixie Naseweis
Mouseketeer

Quote:
planning my FE now.

I would love to get your tissue box cover. I would put it on my desk at the office. I have still some FE gifts from last year cruise there. To look at this stuff brings back the vacation feeling.

First WDW visit 1991
DLP shareholder since 1993
First DLP visit 1994
First DL visit 1999
First DCL cruise 2011
Pixie Naseweis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 12:55 PM   #37
It'sWDW4me
Fairly new... still gets a tag :)
HOLD THE PHONE!
I think it's easier to reason with a CHIMPANZEE than to reason with a tween/early teen!

Hmmmmm, ok, some will, some won't like it. I guess that will happen with just about ANYTHING that someone would make. Thanks for your honest comments everyone! : I think I will make this and maybe just include a note requesting anyone who doesn't care for it to maybe just leave it at Cabanas/Guest Services/some other common area where someone who would like it could find it? It would be cruise specific but not DIS specific - with over 3,000 guests on board, I'd imagine SOMEONE would love to have such a castoff!

WDW Commando Member #120

Me; DS (17); Bear (6); Cosmo (6? He's a stray who found his home with us)

No more tickers for a very long while.

March 1986 - offsite; March 2002 - offsite; August 2006 - POP; August 2007 - OKW (free upgrade from ASMo!); August 2008 - POR; August 2010 - CBR ; August 2012 - DCL's Fantasy ; July 2013 - POP & 1st solo trip!
It'sWDW4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 01:07 PM   #38
Pixie Naseweis
Mouseketeer

Good luck and have a wonderful cruise!

First WDW visit 1991
DLP shareholder since 1993
First DLP visit 1994
First DL visit 1999
First DCL cruise 2011
Pixie Naseweis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 01:16 PM   #39
lspindler
Earning My Ears

My first cruise and fish extender experience

Someone gave us inexpensive thermal cups with Mickey crystal stickers on it that we used all week. I had never cruised before so I didn't realize that the soft drink cups were so small. This thermal cup went everywhere with me!
lspindler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 02:04 PM   #40
magrudersmakes3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
planning my FE now.

How awesome is that!! I wish I was on your cruise

1998 First trip offsite, 2003 CBR, 2004 Sea World, 2005 POR, 2007 POR, 2008 BW, 2010 CCL, 2010 HRH Universal, 2011 Disney Dream, 2012 Disney Dream, 2013 POP/POR (Princess 1/2 Marathon), 2013 BLT
magrudersmakes3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 02:40 PM   #41
peloha86
"Dis"place and the "Dispeeps" my happy place and happy people!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDH Family View Post
Thank you all for your inputs. We have been on several Disney Cruises and have not yet done a Fish Extender Exchange. Every time we are onboard, i tell myself "We need to participate in that next time". So proud that we are officially signed up and participating on our next cruise. I want to do a gift that is meaningful so your inputs on things that you liked the most are much appreciated.
Hello neighbor

I live near EDH, and you will have a wonderful time finding inspiration for the FE's. I just came back from the local farmer's market, and you can get some great ideas just by walking around there. Walking around Old Sac, Placerville, and even the Folsom historic area might stir up some ideas.

Just a thought...Think about how many you can make and pack in your luggage. We had a large FE group last year and it took 3 carry on suitcases to bring them from the West to East coast. And then we had to buy one more suitcase to bring all the goodies back with us!

Have fun, I think personalized magnets are great, photo frames, and a Diser even made jewelry with a "Dream" charm on it.

Good Luck!

peloha86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 03:08 PM   #42
Arizona Rita
DIS Veteran

Hi
The best gift we ever recieved on one of our cruises was from "FirstTimers".
They gave ziplock baggies filled with what I thought was at first weird.
We didnt participate on our first cruise so I didnt know what to expect. The baggie was filled with rubber bands, zip ties, a pen, bandaide, paperclips.
At first I thought "ok...". We ended up using that baggie all the time! They were experienced cruisers and they just knew! It was so practicle and yet just great! If youre out there Firsttimers, thank you again!
We have recieved many of the things listed above and my kids are older now but they love just seeing whats in the FE!
Ive many on other cruises and none of them have done this and I think its just fun.
We will be going on our 5th next yera, on the Fantasy, and Ive already started thinking about what Im going to take!
BTW, I do save everything and alot ends up in the scrap books. Its nice to remember a person who even if they did just go to a dime store, still took the time to do it!
Arizona Rita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:44 PM   #43
JBeanBunny
royal purple pigment

Quote:
Originally Posted by casana View Post
Something I am keeping my eyes peeled for is a cheap magnetic message board for the cruiseroom door, so friends can leave messages.
An inexpensive way to do this is to get a plain piece of paper (or a decorated piece of paper, for that matter) and have it laminated and attach sticky-backed magnets onto it. Cheap! Then you just need to gift a dry-erase marker! I've seen ones where the caps are magnetic, but again, you could always just add magnets from any craft store
JBeanBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 10:22 PM   #44
ilovetexas
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by casana View Post
Something I am keeping my eyes peeled for is a cheap magnetic message board for the cruiseroom door, so friends can leave messages.
I'm not sure how "cheap" you want to go but Party City has Disney ones for $0.99. This link is Princess but I've seen several other styles.

http://www.partycity.com/product/dis...ce=Under+%245&
Old 05-07-2012, 02:35 AM   #45
FoxFam5
Children grow up too fast - enjoy every moment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixie Naseweis View Post
We also got Music CD's and we love them so much we still listen to them. The ship horns are amazing. I would like to create CD's for my next FE, but I am not sure if it is legal to do so or not. Maybe it is, because they are gifts. What do you think?
When you buy a package of blank CDs, it is assumed you are using them to make a copy for non commercial use. If you have bought a CD and make 1 copy to give to a friend, it is okay. If you lend a CD to a friend and they make a copy, it is not okay.

That being said the price per unit(PPD - published price to dealer) includes a small fee(25 cents up to a dollar) to pay royalties out to artists. The flaw in this being, they normally pay this out to artists that top the charts.

So the small answer being, go for it and just claim "fair use".

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: