Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2014, 01:02 AM   #1
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

Tickets for Princess Meet & Disney Junior Characters?

I saw on the the Disney Cruise Line Blog twitter feed that tickets are now required for the non-Elsa "regular" princess meets and Disney Junior meets. Is this true now for all ships, all sailings?

If it is, that is a major bummer b/c we loved kind of roaming the ship and just randomly getting into these lines. My favorite part about cruising is NOT grabbing tickets/fps/pre-planning.

Been off DIS for a while so this was a surprise to me.
lilpooh108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 03:00 AM   #2
Jubilee252
Earning My Ears

I've read that that Princess Meets are now ticketed on the newer ships but this wasn't the case on the Magic 3 weeks ago only the Elsa and Anna meet was ticketed.
Jubilee252 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-16-2014, 03:42 AM   #3
bruin89
Earning My Ears

A four-Princess meet was ticketed on the Wonder last week (as was Anna/Elsa), however they were also available individually for "regular" photo op sessions throughout the cruise as well.
bruin89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 06:57 AM   #4
atlfan4
Mouseketeer

Ugh, and so the MyMagic- world starts to creep on to the ships. How disappointing. I agree, the best part of the cruise is to avoid all that FP nonsense.
atlfan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 09:26 AM   #5
Disney_Princess83
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlfan4 View Post
Ugh, and so the MyMagic- world starts to creep on to the ships. How disappointing. I agree, the best part of the cruise is to avoid all that FP nonsense.
The issue on the bigger ships was that waits for the Princess Gathering was often an hour or more. Now with the tickets, the wait time is under 10 minutes.

Almost 6 Weeks at Disney.... it's Happened! October & November 2013! Trip Report and Food Review to Follow Soon

Starbucks has arrived at WDW! MK, EPCOT and soon the entire World!
Add me on Twitter: @OzGoofyPrincess
Disney_Princess83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 09:55 AM   #6
KBinCO
Mouseketeer

Yeah, we got off the fantasy 10 days ago and the princess gathering was not ticketed. The lines looked very long for the first one but we couldn't check it out because our Anna and Elsa greet was scheduled for that time. For the second gathering, my brother brought my niece at 10:30 for the greet that started at 11, and they still didn't get to the princesses until 11:30. We showed up at 11 and the line seemed far more than an hour wait, if they were even letting more people in line but we didn't bother finding the end.

We were perfectly happy with the 5 min waits for the princesses individual greets. I get how putting them all together seems like a great idea, but since they are face characters and need to talk to each kid for 3-5 mins each, the line moves incredibly slow.
KBinCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 09:58 AM   #7
CEGrant
Mouseketeer

The most recent Dream navigators from the 4 night Halloween themed sailing indicated the Princess event was ticketed.

Perhaps this varies based on how full the ship is?
Old 09-16-2014, 10:56 AM   #8
atlfan4
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney_Princess83 View Post
The issue on the bigger ships was that waits for the Princess Gathering was often an hour or more. Now with the tickets, the wait time is under 10 minutes.
Yes, but what about the people that didn't get tickets? It's just like all the FP+ stuff, of course it's good for the privileged few who plan ahead or are lucky enough to get tickets. I can't imagine they have enough tickets for everyone who wants one.
atlfan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 11:20 AM   #9
Disney_Princess83
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Yes, but what about the people that didn't get tickets? It's just like all the FP+ stuff, of course it's good for the privileged few who plan ahead or are lucky enough to get tickets. I can't imagine they have enough tickets for everyone who wants one.
The 4 Day Cruises have 2 Princess Meet and Greets. They can greet many guests in those two sets (which usually go for at least 90 minutes or longer.) The Princesses also meet separately and there are no tickets for that meet and greet. You won't miss out on meeting the Princesses.

Almost 6 Weeks at Disney.... it's Happened! October & November 2013! Trip Report and Food Review to Follow Soon

Starbucks has arrived at WDW! MK, EPCOT and soon the entire World!
Add me on Twitter: @OzGoofyPrincess
Disney_Princess83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 12:14 PM   #10
ocspartan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I would actually look at this differently, b/c the character schedules are kept pretty tight b/c otherwise you'd always be stuck letting just one more or the next person in line in for the photo op. So you would still have to plan ahead and you wouldn't be able to just pop into this line at the last minute.

Now with a ticketed system they can optimize traffic flow in the atrium, not only that but if demand were to extremely exceed what they have planned, they could always add another gathering on longer cruises, which under the old system they would never know.
ocspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 01:01 PM   #11
mulderxcoltrane
DIS Veteran

Anyone know if this affects the See Ya Real Soon Party character meets on the last day?
mulderxcoltrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 04:05 PM   #12
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocspartan View Post
I would actually look at this differently, b/c the character schedules are kept pretty tight b/c otherwise you'd always be stuck letting just one more or the next person in line in for the photo op. So you would still have to plan ahead and you wouldn't be able to just pop into this line at the last minute.
Under the "old" system, you still can't pop in last minute b/c they do cut off the line. But at the very least you had the choice to get into line as you were walking by or if you happen to finish breakfast/lunch/dinner early.

If everything requires tickets, then as you're walking by you really don't even have the option. That takes the fun out of it for us. We cruise b/c we want to avoid the park planning mentality. My kids literally want to do EVERY SINGLE MEET AND GREET. They're both under 5. They don't do anything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocspartan View Post
Now with a ticketed system they can optimize traffic flow in the atrium, not only that but if demand were to extremely exceed what they have planned, they could always add another gathering on longer cruises, which under the old system they would never know.
I think it makes it easier for DCL to plan and yes, the overall wait might be shorter but again, the spontaneity part of it is attractive to us.

I also would imagine alot of 1st timers or foreign ppl who don't know to check the Navigators immediately when they get onboard to be completely bummed if they can't get into a character line.

The 4 princess M&G is an experience. The individual ones are just not the same.

Quote:
Yea, I agree with what you're saying. About the tickets though --- I bet they just split ppl up between the 1st and 2nd princess gathering. The 1st tends to be more crowded. I doubt anyone will truly get left out if they bother to get a ticket. I'm more concerned about not knowing you'd have to get a ticket and just simply missing out. We've cruised enough now where we don't really read the navigators in detail anymore. I'm sure there are people who don't check them at all.

For us, we usually cruise on the east coast coming from the west coast (and next year we'll be going to Europe). We don't like to be stuck with one particular M&G b/c with the time difference, sometimes our kids just can't wake up no matter what I do.
lilpooh108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 04:54 PM   #13
Melissa S
DIS Veteran

As PP mention what about those with little ones? Can you still go to both meet and greets? We have a 4 year old and the character interactions (not standing hours in a 100 degree weather) are the main reason we cruise as opposed to going to the parks.

Magic October 27, 2013 (5 night Halloween on the High Seas)
Wonder March 2, 2013 (5 night)
Magic September 7, 2012 (5 night)
Magic June 2, 2012 (8 night)
Dream December 26, 2011 (3 night)
Melissa S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 05:08 PM   #14
Weedy
DIS Veteran

Here is a link that shows a recent 4 day Dream Navigator (scroll down to post 6 & 7). On the 1st page on the 1st Day it tells about getting tickets for the princess gatherings.

Also if you look at the rest of the days you will see that there are lots of character meets that don't need tickets.

So hopefully this will work for everyone. Those who like to plan and not wait in line. And those who like spur of the moment.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3329034
Weedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 06:44 PM   #15
clemsonlongs
Earning My Ears

We just sailed a 4 night Dream cruise and both the princesses and Disney Jr were ticketed. I had read on one of these boards that Doc McStuffins was aboard the Dream so we were excited to see her and (hopefully) more Disney Jr charActers. I did not, however, know that it was a ticketed event and only happened one time on the ship. This was our first cruise and we did not read our Navigators first thing and missed the opportunity to see these characters (within 2 hours Port Adventures had no more tickets and even sailing concierge we could not get a time slot). There was no issue getting princess gathering tickets as they did that twice during our cruise. We know better for next time!
clemsonlongs is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: