Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2012, 04:40 PM   #91
Teknik_DC2
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jannel80 View Post
I am really enjoying reading your posts and have been geting some good ideas for you. We will be heading to DW in Feb. with a 6 month old as well as a 5 and 6 year old. I had no idea we could get fatspasses and then ask for Rider Swap passes. Did any of the CM's give you trouble getting one and then going into the Fastpass lane or askng for a second Rider Swap a little later on? This is such a great idea! Can't wait to read the rest of your MK updates!
Yep the Fastpass & Rider Swap combo works great. What most people do though is use the combo to hold multipule Fastpasses at one time. For example if your walk down Sunset Blvd you could grab 1 Fastpass for Tower of Terror and 1 Fastpass for Rockin Roller Coaster. This gives you 2 fastpasses for attractions close to one another. Then when your time is ready to ride you can get the Rider Swap card as well basically giving both Parents to the Fastpass line while only having 1 fastpass for the attraction. Then you go to the 2nd attraction you have Fastpass for and do the same thing. Does that make since?

We just started doing the 2 Fastpass/2 Rider Swaps if we knew we would likely want to go on the attraction more then once. Of course this ment we could only hold a Fastpass for 1 ride at time like guests not using Rider Swap. We never ran into a problem getting a 2nd Rider Swap card though as we found the line CM's would switch out while one of us was in the Attraction so it was somebody different we were asking for a Rider Swap Card from. Just keep in mind this method ONLY works if you already have Fastpass cards for the attraction.

Anyways I hope that helps answers your questions.
Old 06-06-2012, 02:04 AM   #92
Teknik_DC2
Mouseketeer

Day 7: Magic Kingdom Part 2

Having both been shaken up by our rides on Space Mountain we decided that it would probably be best to not do any more thrill rides for a little while. We were also getting hungry by this point so we decided to do one last Tomorrowland Attraction before finding some food.

That ride is one that is very mild and no longer exists in Disneyland. The ride is the Peoplemover and it literally had Zero wait. We walked right up the speed ramps and right into the ride vehicle. It was pretty nice to just sit back and relax as we took in the sights of Tomrrowland.

For those not familiar with the People Mover the ride vehicles move along an elevated Plateform thruout Tomorrowland taking you above and even thru many of the lands attractions. Upon loading you move out into the center of the land before turning and traveling above the Stitch attraction. You now find yourself at the enterance of Tomorrowland where you get your first elevated glimpse of the Hub and Cinderella Castle.

As you enter the building that Houses Stitch you will pass a diorama of Walt Disney's version of E.P.C.O.T. When it was designed to be a prototype city instead of a Theme Park. You also pass another diorama scene before exiting back out into Tomorrowland above the Startraders store. In the distance you can see where you boarded the Peoplemove with the Astro Orbitor set atop the plateform where it Belongs (hello Disneyland!!!!). You then head out and over part of the Tomorrowland Speedway before entering the largest Tomorrowland attraction Space Mountain. Obviously with how dark Space Mountain is I wasn't able to get any photos inside. However it was kind of neat to see the effects and hear the rockets zip past you.

After exiting Space Mountain you again travel over the Speedway before the track turns and travels in front of Space Mountain. You then enter and travel around the Carossel of Progress before now being out in front of Tomorrowland facing the Hub. Although its not long this portion of the peoplemover will give you the best Glimpse of the rest of the park. The ride then travels above the Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor before returning to the loading area. The peoplemover is a fun little ride if you need a break for a little bit. Its nice to sit and relax and rest your feet. Plus it adds that Kenitic Energy that makes the land feel active. Its sad that Disneylands no longer exists and that the rides thrill ride replacement was nothing but a Bust and also no longer exists meaning the tracks just sit thruout Tomorrowland dormant as a reminder of what once was. Tomorrowland in California really needs something back on those tracks and put the Astro Orbitor back up on the plateform. Although the Peoplemover in Florida may not be conisdered a must do its nice to take a break from the losts of walking you'll do.

Having finished the Peoplemover it was now time to find something to eat for Lunch. We were starving and I remembered that theres a decently rated Quick Service location here in Tomorrowland. Its even located in the direction we would be heading next. So we went to Cosmic Ray's Starlight Cafe that offered many different options for food depending on what we were in the mood for. Kiera decided to get Grilled Chicken Sandwich while I decided to get the Barbeque Pork Sandwich. We thought both sandwiches were very good and filled us up before continuing on with the park. The location of Cosmic Rays is right across from the enterance to the Tomorrowland Speedway.

With our Stomachs full and Daniel now crashed out asleep for his first Nap of the day I pulled out my phone to check to Touringplans app to decide where to go next. Upon seeing that Pirates of the Caribbean was down at the moment we decided to wait to go to that area of the park. Instead we decided to just continue on into Fantasyland and finish the attractions that we had not yet done. Approching Fanasyland from Tomorrowland the first ride you come to is the Teacups. However before riding we decided to head back into a corner of Fantasyland that is for now secluded from the Rest of Fantasyland due to the Fantasyland expansion. Infact this area is the first part of the Expansion to open. The Storybook Circus.

Right now all thats open in the Storybook Circus is Dumbo and the Barnstormer. And Dumbo isn't even finished yet as its not only getting an Interactive que but theres also going to be a duplicate Dumbo Spinner giving it the nickname thruout the fan community as the Dueling Dumbos. However we would not be riding Dumbo this day. Infact we didn't ride any of the attractions that are currently open in the Storybook Circus. Dumbo had a 25 minute wait which is far too long in our opinion for a simple spinner ride and the Barnstormer kiddie coaster was also at 25 minutes wait. So we just walked thru the area to see the details. I must say if all the details in the Fantasyland expansion are as great as Storybook Circus then it will turn out great. The restrooms and trainstation turned out great as well as the minor circus themeing you will find thruout that add to the experiance (such as the peanuts in the concrete). The only portion not open yet in Storybook Circus (besides the 2nd dumbo) is the Casey Jr. play area. After looking around and deciding there was nothing we wanted to wait for we headed back out.

And we went right to the attraction that we passed while heading into the Storybook Circus. The Teacups! Heres a little story for you as to why this ride on the Teacups was somewhat special for Kiera. When she visited with her Family back in 97' she would have been almost 10 years old. She wanted to ride the Teacups very badly. However her Mother decided against going on the Teacups to take her 1 year old brother on "Its a Small World" again and again. She never got to go on the Teacups that trip. As we approched she asked if we could go on the Teacups. To joke with her about her previous trip I told her "No, We Can't. We have to go take Daniel on Its a Small World instead". We laughed about it and then got in line for the Teacups that had a posted 10 minute wait. We waited about 3 minutes as we got on the next cycle. Yes Daniel was asleep so he didn't even know what was going on. And from our visit to Disneyland in 2008 we learned that our bodys just can't take the teacups spinning as fast as possible. So we took it easy and just spun them a little bit. Kiera finally got her Teacup ride at the Magic Kingdom.

With the Teacups done and not having an interest in the Storybook Circus attractions the only Fantasyland attractions that we had left on our list were Philharmagic and Its a Small World. We decided against Philharmagic at this time as we decided to get all the ride based attractions done before doing the show based ones. And since Daniel was sound asleep still we wanted to wait to do Small World when he was awake. As we walked thru Fantasyland and past Winnie the Pooh we found that the attraction had broke down and closed until it was fixed. "Well thats not very Disney like now is it".

Register to remove

Old 06-06-2012, 02:05 AM   #93
Teknik_DC2
Mouseketeer

As we walked thru Fantasyland and with Daniel asleep we decided we would do the next ride we came to. One that is considered by many (including myself) to be one of the best Disney rides ever created. The Haunted Mansion. It is located just outside Fantasyland in the Liberty Square section of the park. However when we arrived at the Haunted Mansion the CM was announcing to everyone that the Ride was closed for Technical Problems and the Que was being evacuated. This was now the 3rd ride we had seen today that had closed for technical issues. So once again "Well thats not very Disney like now is it". We continued walking on thru Liberty Square befor passing over into the next section of the park.

The next Section is Frontierland which seems to be much larger and more well done then the Disneyland version. In Disneyland with the exception of Big Thunder Mountain and the Thunder ranch area Frontierland is almost a blink and you miss it type thing. Its tiny in Disneyland and I hope the rumors of an expansion there are true. Frontierland in the Magic Kingdom has not only Thunder Mountain as a major ride but also Splash Mountain. Which is right where we were heading.

I must first appologize to everyone for Thunder Mountain being closed for Referb the last few months. As I talked about in my Epcot update about Test Track being Kieras cursed ride Thunder Mountain seems to be my Curse ride. When we went to Disneyland in 2008 the ride was closed while we were there. And now in 2012 on the other side of the country the ride is also closed for referb (and don't get me started on the rumors of it possibly being closed again at Disneyland when we go this winter). So Sorry everyone. As for Splash Mountain we wouldn't be riding quite yet. The wait was posted at 50 minutes so We pulled 2 Fastpasses for the ride to come back to.

We walked into the next area of the Park Adventureland and more specifically the Caribbean Plaza area of the land. We would be heading to another one of the greatest Disney rides ever made. One that is a Must do no matter which Magic Kingdom style park you visit. Yes I'm talking about Pirates of the Caribbean. The ride was closed earlier in the day however by the time we finally arrived to it the ride was back up and running and best of all there was only a 10 minute posted wait.

With the stroller parked we entered the ride and it became clear right away that this version of Pirates of the Caribbean would be different then the Original Disneyland Version. First off is the Que for the ride which is much longer and better in WDW. Instead of a fairly generic Que with photos of famous pirates on the wall the Magic Kingdoms Que takes you thru like a fortress tunels and what not. The themeing and duel loading is much better for here then in Disneyland.

HOWEVER........ Thats the only area of the attraction where the Magic Kingdoms version is better. This version of Pirates is a trimed down version of the Original Disneyland ride. There is no floating thru the Bayou. Because of this theres also no Blue Bayou restaurant which seems to be one of the neatest aspects of the Disneyland Pirates of the Caribbean. Then theres the drops. Where there was only 1 small drop in the Magic Kingdom, Disneylands version has 2. The scenes were much longer at Disneyland and it even seemed like some scenes were left out of the Magic Kingdom version meaning that Disneylands ride is not just more exciting but its also alot longer. So i'm sure i've made it pretty obvious that I prefer the Original Disneyland version MUCH better then the Magic Kingdom version. But that doesn't mean the Magic Kingdom version is bad. This is still one of the best rides in the park and as a true Disney classic it should be a Do not miss for anybody going to the park. They really don't make attractions like this any more and although the additions of Jack Sparrow seem to make alot of people upset still its something that doesn't bother us. And although Daniel woke up right before the ride started in the dark tunnels he did perfectly fine on this farely dark attraction.

As we exited Pirates of the Caribbean right across the way the Pirate Tutorial show was taking place. We stopped and watched for a moment and this show reminded me alot of the Jedi Training Academy but on a smaller scale. It looked like only about 6 kids were selected to do the Pirates Tutorial instead of many. The show is basically Jack Sparrow teaching kids how to be Pirates and is pretty fun to watch. Of course the show really crowded the walkways so we had to cut thru the stroller parking (we already retrieved ours) to get thru. While passing thru though we found the true definition of an "Umbrella" stroller.

Old 06-06-2012, 02:10 AM   #94
Teknik_DC2
Mouseketeer

Our Splash Mountain Fastpass time had finally become avalible by the time we exited Pirates but we were gonna grab some Fastpasses for nearby attraction before heading back. And since it was located so near by to Pirates it would just be a quick grab. So to the Jungle Cruise we went and I pulled 2 fastpasses for the ride. Since it was showing a 35 minute wait anyways Fastpass would work out great for us. However this would be reminder to me to always pay attention to make sure you pull your park ticket back out of the machine after getting your fastpass. I forgot to and had a minor freakout when I realized it was missing thinking I dropped it on the ground somewhere. Luckly I realized before we left the Jungle Cruise Fastpass area and when I went back to the machine I found it still sticking out. We felt like high rollers currently holding 2 fastpasses for Jungle Cruise, 2 fastpasses for Splash Mountain, 2 Rider Swap cards for Space Mountain, and our 2 Suprise Fastpasses for Philharmagic.

We walked back thru Adventureland and to the back of Frontierland where we arrived back at Splash Mountain. The ride that I consider to be my Favorite of all Disney rides. Although i've grown up with the Disneyland version the WDW version was open when my family went in 93'. Although other then the log seating being arranged differently I didn't remember what else was different. Of course just by looking at the two mountains you can tell that both are designed slightly diffrently. I also don't know if its true or not but the Disneyland version looks steeper and taller then the Magic Kingdom version. We walked up to the Fastpass enterance where we got a Rider Swap card and then I went into the Que while Kiera waited outside with Daniel. Not knowing how wet I could possibly get though I left the Camera with Kiera just to be safe.

The standby wait when I entered the Fastpass was still at over 45 minutes but I only waited about 5 before I was boarding the Log. I was in the backrow and I had it all to myself. Unlike Pirates of the Caribbean though where I liked the Disneyland Version more this is one ride that the Magic Kingdom got right as this version of Splash Mountain is much better then the Original. The ride is longer thanks to longer outdoor sections and additional show scenes inside. Although the Original Disneyland version does have many more Animatronics as it got the leftovers from the America Sings attraction. There also seemed to be more smaller drops inside the ride then at Disneyland. The drop was as great as ever however I still think the Disneyland version is steaper. Still I didn't even get wet whatsoever on this ride which i'm sure it probably because I was in the back row. Kiera was watching for me and I waved as I floated past. Although Splash Mountain may be a simple Log Flume to this day it still remains my Favorite Disney attraction. This version being the top of my list. Do not miss this ride when visiting the Magic Kingdom.

When my ride was over I meet Kiera back out front and taking Daniel it was now her turn to ride. However we completly forgot to get a 2nd Rider Swap card like we have done on many attractions prior. I think it may have been because Daniel started showing signs of being hungry so we were in somewhat of hurry. As Kiera rode the ride Daniel and I waited for her on the bridge in front of the main drop. I hoped to get a photo of Kiera as she came down the drop. I photographed a few logs prior to get an idea of when would be the best time to capture the picture. And then as I was adjusting the camera for her picture a log came down and I missed it. Yep turns out that was the log she was on. So much for my plan lol.

As Daniel and I walked towards the Splash Mountain exit to wait for Kiera I found that this was the meet and greet location for Winnie the Pooh and Tigger. Although I was never a big Winnie the Pooh fan Kiera was and so we knew we needed to take Daniel to see them. With his love for characters anyways this was a no brainer lol. The line didn't seem very long at the time and dispite Daniel starting to get hungry I got in line anyways. Kiera saw us as she exited the ride and joined us in what turned out to be the longest wait we had for Characters this whole trip. It of course was worth the wait though to see Daniels reactions to the characters. It was pretty funny because at first Daniel didn't want anything to do with Winnie the Pooh. He only cared about Tigger. However after some time he warmed up a little to Pooh and we got some cute photos. Although he was nothing but smiles and giggles for Tigger.

Although when we finished with the Characters our Fastpass window for our Jungle Cruise fastpasses opened up this was once again an instance where caring for an Infant would change our attraction plans as Daniel was very hungry now and was making it known. So instead of heading to the Jungle Cruise we would bypass it, never use the Fastpasses we pulled, and head to the Baby Care Center located in the Hub so that he could feed.

And that is all for todays update. Halfway done with our Magic Kingdom day now. Stay tuned for the Final 2 updates and as always please feel free to leave any questions or comments.
Old 06-06-2012, 06:47 AM   #95
Imagineer5
DIS Veteran

Fantastic updates! Love seeing all the pics around MK! And also of the FL expansion. Danny's expressions with the characters are so cute, and I especially liked the one on TTA with mouth wide open - Aria does that all the time and I love it!
Old 06-06-2012, 08:39 AM   #96
khertz
Proud member of the WHO DAT NATION!!

I'm really enjoying your MK updates! Danny looks like he's having the best time with the characters. My DS was pretty partial to Tigger too when we took him to Crystal Palace last year when he was 12 months old. I don't know what it is about Tigger that has the little ones go crazy!
JULY 1994 // Offsite & Universal Studios & Busch Gardens | APRIL 1998 // All Star Music & Universal Studios |FEBRUARY 2001 // All Star Music & Universal | MARCH 2003 // All Star Music & Universal // Hard Rock Hotel | FEBRUARY 2004 // All Star Music & Universal // Royal Pacific & Sea World | OCTOBER 2007 (Disneymoon!) // Port Orleans French Quarter & Universal Studios // Royal Pacific | DECEMBER 2009 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/ TR | JULY/AUGUST 2010 // Wyndham Cypress Palms TR | NOVEMBER 2011 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | MAY 2012 // Disneyland // Wyndham Dolphin's Cove TR | AUGUST 2012 // Disneyland 5 Year Anniversary Trip // Peacock Suites TR | OCTOBER 2012 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | OCTOBER 2013 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek & Universal // Royal Pacific PTR/"I Wanna See My Castle!" October 2013 TR | MAY 2014 // Wilderness Lodge Adventures at 40"! May 2014 TR
Old 06-06-2012, 04:28 PM   #97
Teknik_DC2
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagineer5 View Post
Fantastic updates! Love seeing all the pics around MK! And also of the FL expansion. Danny's expressions with the characters are so cute, and I especially liked the one on TTA with mouth wide open - Aria does that all the time and I love it!
haha yeah when he first started smiling he would just do the mouth wide open look. Obviously he still does it but not nearly as much. Even though only 1 month has passed since this vacation ended his smile has become much more defined.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khertz View Post
I'm really enjoying your MK updates! Danny looks like he's having the best time with the characters. My DS was pretty partial to Tigger too when we took him to Crystal Palace last year when he was 12 months old. I don't know what it is about Tigger that has the little ones go crazy!
Yeah he loved Tigger much more then Pooh. The only reason we could come up with is because of Tiggers Bright Orange color. Perhaps thats also why he loved the Lorax so much as well.
Old 06-07-2012, 08:29 PM   #98
Teknik_DC2
Mouseketeer

Day 7: Magic Kingdom Part 3

To get to the Baby Care Center we walked thru the remaining part of Adventureland that we hadn't walked thru yet. In additon to the Caribbean area and the Tropical area themed like the Polynesian Islands there is also and Arabian designed section that feartures the Flying Carpets of Aladdin attractiong which is just a larger version of the Dumbo Spinner. We never did do the Flying carpets as just like Dumbo we didn't really have a desire to do any of the Spinners.

We finally arrived back in the Hub and from the enterance to Adventureland it was a very short walk over to the Crystal Palace and the Baby Care Center that is located next to it. We also noticed some travel film was being filmed on the grass in front of the castle. While Kiera went in to feed Daniel I used the Restroom real quick and also walked over to Casey's Corner to get a cup of Ice water (which are free. You just have to ask for it).

With Kiera feeding Daniel and myself not being allowed in the Large Nursing Room that is shared by multipule Women I decided to take the Rider Swap Card we got and go back to Ride Splash Mountain again. On my way back to Splash though I again stopped by the Jungle Cruise and pulled 2 Fastpasses for it again since Kiera and I never got to use the Original ones that we pulled. They would come active right around the time that Kiera would finish Feeding Daniel. If you look for them theres also some shortcuts from Adventureland into Frontierland. The one I used to get me to Splash Mountain the quickest was located behind the Flying Carpets of Aladdin ride and dumps you out in Front of the Country Bear Jamboree in Frontierland. From there it was a short walk along the Rivers of America to Splash Mountain.

Having not gotten wet on my previous ride on Splash Mountain I decided to take the Camera with me on the ride. I entered the Fastpass line using the Rider Swap card and within 5 minutes I was boarding my log. I again had the row to myself but this time I sat on the 2nd row instead of the back. This ride was just as great as my first and it continues to be my favorite Disney Ride. I really don't know what I love about it so much but it is just so much fun. The outdoor portion of the ride obviously made for much better photos then the inside. You also can get some great views of Frontierland from the ride.

However with the photos I was trying to take on the ride the one I was most excited to get was as we were going down the main drop into the Brier Patch as I not only got the photo but I was able to get the camera put away and coverd before our picture was taken. Sitting closer to the front though ment that I did get a little wet on this ride though although it wasn't bad at all.

Old 06-07-2012, 08:30 PM   #99
Teknik_DC2
Mouseketeer

Splash Mountain is a fairly long ride so keep that in mind. By the time I walked from the Baby Care Center to Splash, waited in line, and rode the ride Kiera had just about finished feeding Daniel. After a phone call to her I told her to meet up with me at the Jungle Cruise as the new fastpasses I pulled were now avalible to use. This was also the first time of the trip that I saw the religous sky writter above Disney World. We saw this same guy last year when we were at Epcot. His message today was the Jesus 4 Gives. Thanks thats good to know. I walked back to Adventureland the Same way I went to Splash Mountain so as I reentered the Arabian Area again I found Aladdin and Jasmine out meeting guests. Out in Front of the Flying Carpets I timed it just right as Kiera was just walking into the area.

Now that we were reunited again we made out way over to the Jungle Cruise to finally ride that classic attraction. The Standby line was still showing a wait of 35 minutes but with our Fastpasses we practically walked on to the ride. We soon boarded our boat and journey into the jungles of the World began. I forget how corney but funny the Skippers can be as it seemed even more so here in Florida then it did at Disneyland. Still some of the things he said are pretty funny. Although we had a pretty lame boat and nobody really ever laughed.

This classic boat ride was one of the Disneyland/Magic Kingdom original attractions that opened with the park. Your live guide takes you a jouney thru the jungles of the world as you encounter different Animatronic Animals and people. Although the scenes in the ride are similar on each coast one thing that became very evident is that the Magic Kingdoms version is larger and longer then Disneylands. Although I did notice here in the Magic Kingdom the Animatronic Hippo was not shot like it is in Disneyland. Could the Save the Animatronics Hippo movement actually be working?

After passing the amazing Backside of Water you enter a feature unique to the Magic Kingdoms version as you enter a building and cave on your trip around the world. I thought this was really cool and gave a sinse of fear to the ride. Overall the ride although not the most thrilling ride on the property is still a Disney classic that should be checked out. I would diffenitly say do the added length and cave scene the Magic Kingdom version of the ride is better then the Disneyland version.

Old 06-07-2012, 08:32 PM   #100
Teknik_DC2
Mouseketeer

With the Jungle Cruise finished there was now one attraction left in Adventureland that we would walk thru. On the way to it though we had to stop at the Tiki statues to get a photo. As you will see I am picking one of the tikis noses. This photo was taken because Kiera has the exact same picture of her dad doing it on her trip in 97' so it is kind of becoming a tradition lol.

That final Adventureland attraction that we had to do was the Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse. This was an attraction that was always very special to me when I was young. There was always something about climbing up and walking thru the treehouse that was so cool when I was a kid. It was something my parents always took us into. Unfortunatly that experiance no longer exists at Disneyland. Yes the treehouse is still there but its been remodeled and is now the Tarzans Treehouse. You no longer feel like your walking thru the Swiss Family Robinson's home where they have welcomed you in for tour. Instead your passing scenes from the Trazan movies complete with large plastic figures of the characters.

So needless to say it was nice to walk thru the original treehouse again. Now the Tarzan version isn't bad. It just isn't as good as it use to be. And walking thru this treehouse was a reminder to how awesome the Disneyland version use to be. It also brought back many good memories of my childhood running thru those treehouses. The views of Adventureland and even the hub are also great from the top of the Treehouse.

Although all the attractions that we wanted to see in Adventureland were now finished there was one last thing we had to get prior to leaving the area. None other then the classic Dole Whips. Now I don't like Pinapple at all. I dispise it and think its nasty. However when we went to Disneyland in 2008 Kiera got me to try one and to my suprise I absolutly loved the Dole Whip. So it was on our must have list on this trip as we hadn't had a true version of the frozen treat since our Disneyland version nearly 4 years earlier. I ordered myself a regular Dole Whip while Kiera decided to get the Dole Whip Float which is a Dole Whip in Pineapple juice. We also thought they were pretty affordable too. If you havn't tried one yet you need to. Its like a must do for us now whenever we visit a Magic Kingdom style park.

With Dole Whips in hand we started walking towards the attractions that we still hadn't done yet that were on our list. We exited Adventureland back into the Hub but then turned back into Liberty Square. If you havn't guessed yet we are making our way back over to the Hunted Mansion that was broken down when we passed thru earlier. We stopped and sat for a moment though to finish of our Dole Whips before riding. While sitting Kiera decided to give Daniel a bite of the Dole Whip. Since they are Dairy free and he has already started eating Fruit baby food we figured it would be fine. And he absolutly loved it. He had somewhat of a suprised look on his face at first but then went crazy for it each bite he got. It was pretty funny.

Once we finished the Dole Whips we parked the stroller and entered the Haunted Mansion graveyard. A few months ago an Interactive Que was also installed here at the Haunted Mansion. However we decided to skip it and with a 5 minute wait posted we walked right into the stretching room just as the show was about to start.

After the stretching room you enter a hallway where you wait prior to boarding you Doombuggy. You then begin a tour of this haunted and sometimes humorous Mansion gonig from room to room and seeing all sorts of paranormal activity along the way from the 999 happy ghosts. Upon entering the graveyard section of the ride our vehicle did slow to stop and then the overhead announcements came on telling everyone to remain seated. Knowing the ride was broken down earlier I expected the worst but luckly it started up again very quickly. A few years ago this ride got some effects upgrades and I must say the new Hitchhikeing ghost effect is really cool. Instead of the ghosts just sitting in the doombuggy with us the Ghost actually took Kiera an mines heads and moved them around. A pretty neat effect.

So of course as with most rides so far how does the Magic Kingdom version of the Haunted Mansion compare to Disneylands? Well I do prefer the Magic Kingdoms facade to that of Disneylands. But I do enjoy Disneylands stretching room more as it acts as an actual elevator taking you to the doombuggys. However the last time I rode the actual Disneyland Haunted Mansion was way back in 95'. Yes nearly 17 years ago. When we went to Disneyland in 08' it was during Christmas so the Haunted Mansion was done up as the Nightmare before Christmas Haunted Mansion. Although this holiday makeover is pretty cool I can say that I prefer the original version more. And from what I remember I prefer the Magic Kingdom of the Haunted Mansion to the Original Disneyland version. The new effects just put it over the top for me. This ride is once again a Disney Classic and one that should not be missed whenever your in the park.

With the Haunted Mansion done and out of the way we only had 2 more attraction left on the list. Both of which we skipped earlier while Daniel was taking a nap and reside in Fantasyland. And seeing how we were right next to Fantasyland thats the direction we went.

And that concludes this update. Sorry its the shortest one yet for our Magic Kingdom day but the 4th and Final update of this day will be the longest. Stay tuned and as always feel free to ask any questions that you might have.
Old 06-08-2012, 08:00 AM   #101
khertz
Proud member of the WHO DAT NATION!!

Those pictures of Daniel eating the Dole Whip are precious! The treehouse is one of those things I've never done, but your pictures make it look pretty cool. Maybe now that DS is older and running around, he might enjoy things like the treehouse and Tom Sawyer Island.
JULY 1994 // Offsite & Universal Studios & Busch Gardens | APRIL 1998 // All Star Music & Universal Studios |FEBRUARY 2001 // All Star Music & Universal | MARCH 2003 // All Star Music & Universal // Hard Rock Hotel | FEBRUARY 2004 // All Star Music & Universal // Royal Pacific & Sea World | OCTOBER 2007 (Disneymoon!) // Port Orleans French Quarter & Universal Studios // Royal Pacific | DECEMBER 2009 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/ TR | JULY/AUGUST 2010 // Wyndham Cypress Palms TR | NOVEMBER 2011 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | MAY 2012 // Disneyland // Wyndham Dolphin's Cove TR | AUGUST 2012 // Disneyland 5 Year Anniversary Trip // Peacock Suites TR | OCTOBER 2012 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | OCTOBER 2013 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek & Universal // Royal Pacific PTR/"I Wanna See My Castle!" October 2013 TR | MAY 2014 // Wilderness Lodge Adventures at 40"! May 2014 TR
Old 06-09-2012, 01:01 PM   #102
Teknik_DC2
Mouseketeer

Day 7: Magic Kingdom Part 4

Its a Small World After all. Those six words are enough to get the theme song for that ride stuck in your head for hours on end. Yet here we were walking back in to Fantasyland to ride "Its a Small World". A ride that many parents seem to dispise yet there children seem to absolutly love. Since we were now parents and with Daniels obvious excitment for other colorful rides with catchy songs and sounds we knew that we would have to take Daniel on the ride. The original version of the ride of course is located at Disneyland in California and I have to say it was pretty sad to see the lackluster facade of the Magic Kingdom version compared to the grand facade at Disneyland. Yes they tried to duplicate the facade to an extent once you enter the attraction but its nowhere close to being the same.

We soon boarded our boat and began that happiest voyage around the world. This ride is suppose to be symbolic of uniting the nations of the world thru there children. Of course the rides theme song that is so well know is repeated over and over and over and over again. Luckly it gets switched up ever few rooms when the song is instead sang in the language of whatever room your in. To our suprise thinking Daniel was gonna be in love with the ride the moment it started he had a board and unamused look on his face. Is it really possible that he's not Liking Its a Small World.

That opinion seemed to change though about halfway thru the ride once we entered the Polynesian themed room. In here he finally got big smiles on his face and started laughing and dancing with the music. I don't know why it took this long but from the Polynessian room onwards he absolutly loved the ride. I guess thats why parents can put up with the annoyance of the song by seeing the joy there children get from the ride. We did momentarly get stuck in the final nordic/snow room but it wasn't long tell we made it to the unload area.

So how does it compare to the Disneyland version? I prefer the Disneyland more. Not because they share the same song or anything but the Disneyland version is so much more exciting from the get go with its much better and larger facade and outdoor loading area. Once inside the Ride is also longer with more scenes. I havn't been there since they were added but the Disneyland version also now features Disney characters thruout the ride. Plus the last time we rode the Disneyland version was running the Holiday overlay meaning the theme song is mixed in with other Christmas themed songs. Still Small World is one of those rides that seems to be a right of passage for children going to the Magic Kingdom so if you have kids you should miss out on it. No matter how much it will kill you lol.

Looking down this busy area of Fantasyland you can see how much the park had cleared out by this time of day. We had one more Fantasyland attraction left on our list so we started making our way to it. That ride or show I should say is Mickey's Philharmagic. But to our suprise (I shouldn't be suprised anymore from this today) when we arrived to the attraction the CM was outside telling people it was having Technical problems and was currently closed. Yep add that now as the 4th ride today that we had seen have these issues. "Well thats not very Disney like now is it".

We debated about what we should do instead and we decided maybe we should go grab some dinner and try again afterwards. But as we were about to leave the area we lucked out and Philharmagic Reopened. While we were here we decided we would do the show as we originally planned to and into the attraction we went. While waiting to enter the theater Daniel crashed out in Kieras arms so it was somewhat of a relief to be going into a show where we would just be sitting and watching.

I've read for years now that so many people claim Philharmagic to be the best 3d based show there is. I was excited to find out for myself. Ironicly enough a show with Mickey's name in the title sure doesn't feature much of Mickey at all. Infact the story of the film actually follows donald duck around as he loses Mickey's sorcerers hat thru some of the most iconic musical scenes from such great disney movies as the Lion King, Little Mermaid, and Aladdin a well as many others. The show is all done in CGI instead of your standard 2d animation which was also an intersting choice since no CGI films are featured. One unique feature I liked was that the screen inlarges giving you somewhat of a Imax feel that was pretty cool as it felt the whole theater transformed into something else. Overall I really enjoyed the show seeing the Classic Disney characters on the big screen and just overall the show was alot of fun. However I still think that Muppetvision 3d was the better show. Still Philharmagic is pretty good and if you have time you should check it out for some good old Disney fun.

It was now time to find something to eat. We were starving as hours had sinse passed since we last ate. One thing I knew was that I wasn't exactly feeling anything greasy so we decided to head back to Main Street to see the Sandwiches that the Bakery sells. However when we got to the back of Cinderella Castle the walkthru area was closed off do to a show taking place in front of the castle. So we walked to the left around the side of the castle where we found a couple Photopass Photographers. So needless to say we stopped to get some photos. Its too bad that Daniel was asleep cause the pictures turned out pretty good and I really liked how the castle looked from these angles.

We were soon back on Main Street and made our way to that tarp covered box which the Main Street bakery sat behind. Here i would end up picking up a Ham and Cheese Sandwich which was pretty much the only none desert type product that they sold. I was actually pretty suprised at how large the sandwich was and how much meat was on it. It turned out to be quite filling. Although I had my dinner Kiera didn't see anything there she liked so we decided to walk back over to Cosmic Rays Startlight Cafe in Tomorrowland which had a much larger selection of food. While leaving Main Street I alway laugh a little to myself to see so many people already staking out spots for the parade that was still 2 hours away at this time.

At Cosmic Rays Kiera decided to get the Greek Salad which she said was also pretty good and a decent size portion. While eating Daniel woke up from his nap so we feed him his Baby Food as well but it was obvious that he was also hungry for more then just the baby food. We spent a bit of time eating and as the sun went down we saw the lights of Tomorrowland come alive and the place take on a whole new feeling after nightfall.

Since Daniel was once again hungry and wanting to make sure we See the parade that night Kiera took Daniel again to the Baby Care Center to feed him so that she would be finished in time. Since we still had Rider Swap Cards that we hadn't used for Space Mountain I decided that while she was feeding I would take another ride on it. The standby line was much longer this time of night then it was earlier in the day. Because of such as I walked past in the Fastpass line I got to see the interactive elements of the que in use which seemed like it was just a big video game. This time as I approched the merge point though I was directed to the Left track. Thats right I would be riding the other track. The one I didn't ride earlier in the day. A short wait later I was once again boarding the cramped Rocket and our journey into Space was about to begin.

Old 06-09-2012, 01:02 PM   #103
Teknik_DC2
Mouseketeer

Once again the ride was alot of fun but as with the other track that I rode earlier in the day this track was also pretty rough. However I can say that although it was still rough it didn't seem as rough as the other track and this time I didn't walk off the ride with a killer headache like I did earlier. Once again the ride here in the Magic Kingdom isn't as good as Disneylands version but its still one that must be done when visiting.

As I exited Space Mountain I strolled thru Tomorrowland one last time taking in its Nighttime Ambiance. I really think the area seems to come more alive at night although I still think I prefer Disneylands Tomorrowland at night more. As I exited into the Hub this was the first I saw the castle inside the park lite up at night. It looked truely incredible. With the parade starting within the half hour and with Main Street and the Hub packed with people I followed the Parade route around thru Liberty Square and eventually Frontierland before I found a spot. Since Kiera was still feeding I called and told her where I would be so that she could come meet me. The parade route is diffenitly a lot less crowded the further away from Main Street you got.

The parade we would be waiting for isn't one that is unique to the Magic Kingdom. Infact its one that has been around longer then we had been alive. A parade that we grew up with as children. A Parade that originally ran in Disneyland, was retired, Brought back to Disney's California Adventure park, and then loaned out to the Magic Kingdom. Yes I'm talking about the Main Street Electrical Parade. One that I have enjoyed watching Summer after Summer while growing up.

Although I watched the parade nemourous times as a child It had been a long time since I had last seen it so I was pretty excited to see a slice of our Home park here in the Magic Kingdom. And I have to say the parade was looking pretty good dispite its age. It seems like in the past few years the floats have had most of there lighting upgraded to LED lights. It was nice to hear that familiar music play and the parade pass on by.

Those who have grown up with the parade though will also no know dated it truely is though. And it was never that apparent to me as it was now. Do kids even know what Pete's Dragon is? Heck the most recent characters featured in the Parade are I belive the ones from Peter Pan. Other notible characters of course include Mickey and friends, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, Pinochio, Alice in Wonderland, and Cinderella. Dispite how dated the parade is though its still so much fun to see and remember those summers sitting on the curb on Disneylands Main Street while watching the parade. Its something that I'm glad I got to share with my own son. In my opinion this is a parade that shouldn't be missed. However that might just be the nestalgic memories I have for it speaking and it really isn't very relevent for kids today.

With the parade over now we made our way back thru Adventureland and back into the Hub. Kiera said she saw some empty spots near the Baby Care Center that would hopefully still be avalible for a good viewing of the fireworks. When we got back to that area the spot she was thinking of was taken already. However there were still spots a little further down located directly in front of the Crystal Palace so we decided to wait there. I have to appologize for the picture quality being poorer during the parade and Fireworks. Unfortunatly my primary cameras battery was once again nearly dead and wanting to photograph Main Street after Nightfall I was trying to save the battery. So these photos were taken with the back up Camera. Which I also nearly killed the battery on it capturing these photos.

Old 06-09-2012, 01:04 PM   #104
Teknik_DC2
Mouseketeer

Prior to the Fireworks show though there is another Minor Show that Disney started doing I think late last year called the Magic, Memories, and You. This show is only about 10 minutes long but the technology used is very cool. Its a film based show that uses Cinderella Castle as the backdrop. With the Film technology used they can project images onto the castle that changes how the castle looks. Characters look like they are opening windows or standing in door way. The castle even morphs between differnt looks and styles. It ends with thousands of images from Disney guests projected onto the castle for the "let the memories begin" promo. Its a really cool show and I can't even discribe how incredible the technology used is and how it works. It really does look real. Since the Castle at Disneyland is so much smaller then in Florida this show instead uses the Its a Small World building as the backdrop for the show.

I'm sorry that i'm not gonna have much to say about the fireworks themselves. Not because we didn't like the show or anything. We loved it. But because there really isn't a way to discribe a fireworks show step by step like an attraction or a show. As I said before we had seen the Firework show before from the shore of the Polynesian Resort back in 2009. Of course there was No audio heard and the fireworks were far off in the distance.

We were excited to finally experiance the fireworks from within the park. With a bang of the first firework and the light streaking across the sky the show officially began. Although we soon found out that we might not be in the best vantage point to view the show as many of the fireworks were hidden by a large tree. They were also off centered from the Castle from where we were standing.

To my suprise We saw Tinkerbell fly during the show. This was something I thought they only did in Disneyland so It was a neat suprise and pretty cool to see although with how far away she was she's nothing but a **** of light in the photos.

During the show we did move a little closer to Main Street where we got a slightly better view of the show. Daniel really seemed to like it and wasn't bothered by the sounds or the fireworks themselves. As the show concluded we were very happy to have finally watched the show from within the Magic Kingdom. Seeing it how it was intended to be seen. The fireworks were great and they went great with the Music. You can't end a Magic Kingdom (or Disneyland) day without ending it with the Fireworks. The show is a must see no matter how many 4th of July fireworks you've seen. Its the perfect way to end a perfect magical day.

The fireworks tonight did mark the closing of the Magic Kingdom as the park was Offically closed by the time the Fireworks finished. And with that it meant that the majority of the people in the park would all be heading for the exit, as well as the Monorails and Ferry at the same time meaning major crowds waiting to leave the most popular theme park in the world. That would also translate to major waits. So instead of fighting crowds and knowing some shops and locations stay open later we decided to head back in to Adventureland in hopes that the Dole Whip stand would still be open. Unfortunatly it was not so instead we used the Adventureland restrooms where we had to be the last guests in that area of the park as CM's were coming thru moving anybody left in the park towards the Hub and Main Street.

Out in the Hub there of course were still Photopass Photographers out taking pictures so we got some night photos in front of the castle as well and are some of my favorite from the whole vacation. Its too bad the ones we got during the daylight directly in front of the castle weren't as good as these ones. With much of the crowds disperssed now the castle really looked amazing. Because of such there will be many night photos of it to follow.

Main Street itself is gorgous at night. I think my camera captured the ambiance of it very well for a point and shoot. Plus with the majority of people already gone it was actually breathable and uncrowded. We spent a decent amount of time wondering the crowd free street and looking at all the different shops.

Old 06-09-2012, 01:06 PM   #105
Teknik_DC2
Mouseketeer

On the other side of the street is the very large store called the Emporiam which looks like many small stores from the outside but is actually a large store on the inside. This is the main store for the park any pretty much anything your looking for you can find it here. We looked around but really couldn't find anything that stood out. We thought of getting Daniel a "1st Visit" shirt but they were way too big for him so we decided against it.

We finally made it to the front of Main Street and were about to bid farewell to this happy place. It was here where we came across the Roy Disney & Minnie Mouse Statue. Many people don't give Roy Disney the credit he deserves as it was thru his direction and will power after the death of his brother Walt to continue making the Florida project a reality. He passed away mear weeks after the Magic Kingdom opened. The Magic Kingdom project was to him as the Disneyland project was to his brother. With one last look down Main Street and that magnificent castle we walked thru the tunnels and past the Railroad Station before exiting the park gates.

By the time we left the park it was past 11pm. The park had been Officially closed for over an hour now. If you recall the Tram drivers said the trams would only run for 1 1/2 hours after park closing meaning we only had about 20 minutes to get to the Tram loading area. No big deal we thought as we planned to take the short Monorail ride back to the Transportation center. So we were shocked when we saw that the Monorail was no longer running for the night. Only the Ferry was. Would we make it back in time. It was gonna be close. Luckly for us the Ferry had just pulled up and started loading. I think we will make it. But what if we don't. We'd be in for a pretty long walk to the car.

As the Ferry docked at the Transportation Center almost everyone on the Ferry started speed walking or even running towards the Trams. We all knew we were cutting it close as the final trams were about to depart. We made it to the tram right in the nick of time and were releaved to not have a long walk to the car. The tram operators even stated that after this trip they were returning to the garage. So when deciding to stay later in the Magic Kingdom to shop or whatever keep that in mind. Remember that it does take time to get from the Magic Kingdom gates to the Transportation Center and the Monorails might not be running.

It had been a very long day. We were releaved to get back to our car and get it loaded up to go back to the hotel. As we pulled out of the parking lot once again "Crazy Girl" came on the radio. We also saw a van advertising a religion and wondered if they were affiliated with the sky writers as they appeared to have paid just to park the van in the parking lot near the exit.

We had a great day in the Magic Kingdom spending nearly 13 hours in the Park. The Magic Kingdom is what truely defines a Disney Park and is alot of fun. Although I must say that we enjoy Disneyland more as, dispite the park being smaller, there are more attractions there and we find it more charming because of its smaller size. Still its clear why the Magic Kingdom is the most popular theme park in the world and I think it will only get better once the Fantasyland Expansion is finished. However thats not to say the park has problems. Although I didn't think its as bad as some fan sites make it out to be there were many matenance issues. Plus the fact that we saw 4 different attractions go down thruout the day (something that seems to be very common lately). There weren't that many attractions that went down from the 5 other parks we went to COMBINED. If you only have one day at Disney World and your not a Disneyland regular then the Magic Kingdom is the park you should visit. However if you are very familiar you day may be better spent at one of the parks that isn't like something you have in California.

By the time we had arrived back at the Hotel it was past Midnight. We had an extremly long day but it was worth it. Although we had another early morning ahead of us it would thankfully be our final one of the trip. And we would be going to a park that closed much earlier then the other Disney Parks. Needless to say we all crashed out fairly quickly after the long day of walking. It was the longest park day of our entire trip.

And that concludes our Magic Kingdom day. Thanks to those of you still following and reading. Only one new Disney Park left to report on and its the one that neither of us have ever been to. So stay tuned as our Animal Kingdom day will start being posted soon. Thanks everyone.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: