Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2012, 03:38 PM   #31
Teknik_DC2
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imagineer5 View Post
Thanks so much for answering my questions! It was nice that you had those extra set of hands for the rides and such, since it will just be my DH and I with our LO for the whole trip. We are still undecided (swaying towards no) on going to Universal. I forgot to mention that I LOVE all your HP antecdotes - I am a huge HP fan and loved WWOHP. That and Spiderman are the only reasons I'd go to Universal THIS trip - when Aria is older I will definitely want to go. I am really not a fan of Universal though, just IOA. Though the new Despicable Me ride might change that - I'm watching for reports on that.

Glad to hear nursing went well overall, though I can see how being hot under a cover wouldn't work out so well in super hot Orlando. Sorry to ask for logistics, but since Aria will be just about your Danny's age during our trip - how proficient is Danny at eating compared to when he was younger? Like, does Keira have to do all the work (holding him, keeping him latched, etc) or is he pretty good at getting what he needs while she just makes sure he isn't falling off? On my PTR a couple people mentioned that as babies get older they can sort of sit themselves up and "feed" themselves a bit more vs. being held up and kept latched and all that. Sorry if this question doesnt make sense or if you think it's too personal...LOL...I guess since having a baby nothing is too personal for me now!

Your thoughts on the stroller make me still want to bring my big one...besides being worried about it on the plane, it sounds like the main things would really make it worthwhile - like the full recline (might make staying out late and still getting her to sleep easier) and the huge canopy. Our maclaren is nice but not that great of a canopy, the storage sucks, and there is just a little recline. I think your stroller looks a little bigger/more substantial than our Maclaren, which makes me think I'd really like to have the big one. We have a Baby Jogger City Select, if you're familiar with that.

The car seat is a great idea, but IDK how we'd get an older model. I guess the base really isn't necessary though, since she'll just be in our rental car, so there's no need for ease of taking it in and out. It's not like we'll keep her in the car seat during the day anyway...

We also bought Aria some sunglasses like that, have a SPF blanket, and a stroller clip on fan. I just worry about those hot days, but you're right - there's a lot of AC to be had

Thanks, and I look forward to reading more!
If you havn't experianced the updated Spiderman then that alone is worth a trip to Islands of Adventure. It seriously is that awesome and great. Plus the Wizarding World and Butterbeer make it that much better lol. I say if you can spring for a day at Universal then go for it. Yes it will be tougher tackling Universal with an Infant without help. Much more then Disney. However it is doable AND as you will see in my next update when we do go back to Universal without help you can utilize Child Swap WITH Single Rider. This cut the wait to practicly nothing. Using Single Rider with Child Swap is seriously probably even better then Express Pass. You could probably see both parks in a day doing this.

Daniel is pretty good about feeding himself. Once its out he can find and latch on to it himself with no problems. Kiera just holds him on her lap. The biggest issue at this age is distractions as he gets easily distracted and that makes him unlatch and stop feeding. Thats why the Baby Care centers were much better for feedings then random locations as they had dimmed lights, and were quite so he didn't get as distracted in there.

As I said with the Stroller had we felt comfortable taking our larger stroller then we would have. It would have worked out much better in the long run. We do plan to take it to Disneyland this fall since we will be driving instead of flying. The stroller we took though did work just fine for what we needed it to though.

As with the car seat and no base I never had any issues as when Daniel travels in my car I don't have a base and use the belts anyways. However One time when kiera put him in she forgot to strap the belt because she is so use to just dropping the seat into the base. Luckly I saw her forget immidiately and got him strapped in and then made fun of her for it lol. So thats the most important thing if you so use to the base is to not forget to buckle the seat in.

Anyways if you have any more questions please feel free to ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khertz View Post
We are definitely huge fans of The Mummy attraction too! We missed out on it for so long because we had no idea what it was, then on our honeymoon we decided to give it a try right as we were leaving the park on our last day. We couldn't believe we had been missing out on such a great attraction!! How cute that Danny loved the queue!

Great to see that they left the big Jaws up. That's a must have picture for all of our US trips. Hopefully they end up leaving it!

Where you sit for The Simpsons definitely impacts the enjoyment of the ride! We got a first row seat that just felt way too close to the screen, and even with Dramamine in my system, I was pretty messed up. Sat in the back in a car that was evidently a little further away from the screen the second time and had a much more enjoyable ride. It is a really great simulator attraction though! And my DH just loves the Simpsons, so he loves the attraction too. You really feel like you're on a roller coaster!

I have really enjoyed your pictures & experiences from Universal Studios. We have always included it in every Disney trip up until last year, so it was a bummer to miss out on it. We are skipping it again this year but hopefully will be back next year. I think it's really underrated! We have always had nothing but a great experience there!

Look forward to more!
Thanks for your remark. Yes we are huge Universal fans. Probably just as much as we are Disney fans. We love both resorts for different reasons and i'm sure our kids will grow up knowing both parks. I'm glad that the Jaws photo op will be sticking around as they rebuilt it into a perminant new location so i'm sure it will stick around as long as the park is still around. Anyways thanks for your kind remarks.

February 2008: Carnival Pride Mexican Rivera Cruise - Hollywood - Santa Monica | December 2008: Disneyland - California Adventure - Universal Studios Hollywood - Knotts Berry Farm - Las Vegas | October 2009: Universal Studios Florida - Islands of Adventure - Carnival Glory Eastern Caribbean Cruise | October 2010: Islands of Adventure - Universal Studios Florida - Carnival Legend Western Caribbean Cruise | April 2011: Epcot - Carnival Dream Western Caribbean Cruise - Charleston S.C. | April 2012: Magic Kingdom - Epcot - Hollywood Studios - Animal Kingdom - Islands of Adventure - Universal Studios Florida | December 2012: Disneyland - Disney California Adventure - Universal Studios Hollywood | May 2013: Myrtle Beach S.C. - Charleston S.C. | September 2013: Universal Studios Florida - Islands of Adventure - Carnival Dream Eastern Caribbean Cruise | June 2014: Magic Kingdom - Epcot - Hollywood Studios - Animal Kingdom - Universal Studios Florida - Islands of Adventure
Old 05-14-2012, 02:05 PM   #32
Teknik_DC2
Mouseketeer

Day 4: Universal Orlando Resort Part 1

Today was suppose to be an easy laid back day for us. When planning this trip we originally planned on spending 1 day at each park. So 2 days at Universal and 4 at Disney with 2 days to relax and do other things in Orlando. However upon seeing the cost to add an extra day to each resort we figured we'd get a 3 day ticket to Universal and a 5 day to Disney so that if we wanted we could head back to the parks later in the day or evening if we wanted to. So today would be our Laid back Universal Day.

The plan for they day would basically be to sleep in, take our time getting ready for the day, go to the Orlando Prime Outlets, and then eventually go to the Universal parks for the rest of the night. However my family would be leaving Orlando this morning to go back to South Carolina and they wanted to go grab breakfast with us before they left town. So the day ended up starting off earlier then we thought. We still got to sleep in later then any of our park days but it still wasn't as late as we'd like. Still we wanted to spend as much time with my family as we could while they were there so we were up and ready to go for the day and finished right as my parents were checking out of the hotel.

Its funny how quickly my parents have become acustomed to the South as the place they wanted to go for breakfast was none other then the infamous Waffle House. Kiera and I had never been to one before. And frankly we were kind of scared of them because they don't exactly look like the nicest of places plus you occasionaly hear about horror stories from them. Although it wouldn't be our first choice we figured what the heck we might as well. Beside its where my family wants to go and the time spent with them is whats important. We drove back out to Kissimee to the closest Waffle House. These restaurants are very small and so there of course was a wait but we were suprised at how quickly we got in. Of course it required us to have seperate tables so my brothers had there own table while Kiera and I sat with my parents. I must say that I was pretty suprised by how good the Waffle House food was and how quick and great the servers were. We actually enjoyed it. I don't know if its a place i'd want to go to often but it diffenitly wasn't as bad as we had thought it would be.

After breakfast we checked out a gift shop that was located next to the waffle house before it was time to say our goodbyes to my family. Its never easy saying goodbye especially since they live on the opposite side of the country from us now and we are lucky to see them a couple times a year. However it had to be done. On the plus side my Mom would actually be in Utah already at the time when we would return from our vacation. My Step Dad and brothers we will see again this coming summer when they come home for a few weeks. We parted ways and our vacation would really get interesting now. We no longer had help with Danny. We would be tackling all the parks from this point on our own with an Infant.

Our next stop on our "Laid Back" day would be the Orlando Prime Outlets on International Drive. On our trip in 2010 we stopped by these Outlets and really liked them. The thing we liked the most we found though was the Disney Character Warehouse. This store had discounted Disney Park merchandise that have been pretty much discontinued from the parks. Although we didn't buy anything from the store on the that trip we knew we had to stop by whenever the time came that we made an actual Disney World vacation. Although we knew the Outlets would be busy we were shocked at how busy it actually was. It took us over 15 minutes just to find a parking stall. Cars were parked everywhere and anywhere. Even in spots marked No Parking or in fire zones and even on the lawns. It was pretty rediculous actually.

Once we finally found a parking stall we made our way into the Outlets. Although the main reason we were there was for the Disney Outlet we still looked at some other stores as we went along. Kiera was in need of some new capris as Daniel happened to throw up a couple days earlier on her other pair. After looking in a couple stores she finally found some she liked for a good price and so we continued on to the Disney Store. The store was packed and there were a lot of good deals to be found. I'm really glad we came because this is where I ended up finding some Tron Vinylmations. I love Tron and so I wanted to find something Tron related while in Disney World. Since it was the outlet they were also marked down to only $5 as well. So I grabbed a Quora Vinymation and we continued shopping around. After looking around for a bit we also found a Lightning McQueen shirt for Daniel and then headed for the checkout. Upon checking out the CM asked if I wanted to grab anymore Vinymations because those ones were 3 for $10. So I quickly ran back and also grabbed a Rinzler and Sam Tron Vinylmations as well. Awesome I was only planning on getting one.

We really liked the Disney Character Warehouse as there were a lot of great deals to be found. However it seemed like there wasn't as much stuff as there was on our last visit. I thought we would find like some shirts or something but we didn't like any of the designs they had. Still if you are going to Disney World and have a car to leave the property its worth it to make a drive to ether Outlets (both have Disney Character Warehouses) and check them out. You might just save yourself quite a bit of money. After we were done we left the Outlets and after Kiera feed Daniel in the car we made our way back to spend our final afternoon/evening at the Universal Orlando Resort.

It was almost 2:30pm when we were finally pulled up to the Universal Parking structures and interestingly enough the closing time for Universal Studios had changed from 8pm to 8:30pm. Thats kind of odd considereing Islands of Adventure would still be closing at 8pm. Unlike the previous days we were directed to the North Structure today to park in. I'm sure because we've arrived so much later in the day. We even stayed on level one meaning we would have to go up the elevator to get to the parks today.

One last time we walked thru the garages and made our way to Citywalk. With not being in a rush today we took our time and even go a good look at the Hollywood Drive In Mini Golf. This course seriously looks so cool with so many great details. The haunted house and space worm look so much larger in person then they do in photos. In fact Photos really don't do any parts of this course Justice. I really wish we would have had time to play but that never happened on this trip. After passing the minigolf we entered Citywalk for the final time on this trip.

So what park were we heading to today? We've already been to both Universal Parks on this trip. Well today we would be going to both parks. Thats whats so great about the Universal Parks. I love how they are so close and a 5 minute walk from one another. Its the same reason why I love the Disneyland Resort in California. To start our park time today we would be heading first to Universal Studios Florida. Our goal for going there first was Daniels new found love for Characters. So we figured we go to the Studios to see what characters were out that he hadn't meet yet. Once in the park we went strait to the Hollywood section where many characters were out and about and the cuteness would begin lol.

This kid seriously cracks us up. He loves any costumed character. The first one that we came to was Woody Woodpecker and his reactions were just like they were with the Lorax and Curious George from the previous day. He loved him.

The next character actually wouldn't be for Daniel but for his geeky Dad (Me). And it was one i've wanted to get a photo with for a while now but i've never seen him out in the parks before. That person was Doc Brown from Back to the Future. If you see Doc pay close attention the bike he cruises around as theres some really interesting and neat details on it.

Sitting across the street was none other then the Mystery Machine so you know who would be close by. Scooby Do and Shaggy. Kiera took Danny up to see them and once again he went crazy for Scooby. However this was his first encounter with a live actor but he didn't want anything to do with Shaggy. He only cared about Scooby lol.

Theres that beat up Mobile Home again that the Simpsons crew are visiting in. Sure enough Homer, Marge, and LIsa are out meeting people. However they had to take a break before it was our turn and only Homer and Bart returned. It was still cute though and Bart was really cute with Daniel acting like he was throwing him a football and playing with him.

The final character we came across was kind of an oldie. A classic that many kids likly don't even know who he is. Bullwinkle. There was no line to meet him and once again Daniel adored him. I'd also have to say Bullwinkle had the best autograph out of anybody.

That was it for the characters that were out at the time. So we decided to walk around Stage 44 over to the New York section. There was an area I didn't get to see the previous day that I have each time we've visited. The Back to the Future display. The area where the Delorean and Time Train are on display. A few months ago the Delorean referbished so I wanted to check it out. I've always complained about the Delorean not being a perfect replica of the movie car (Yes it was used in the 3rd movie as one of the rail stunt cars) and the referbishment fixed some of the issues (like the taillights). However its still not perfect but far better then it was before. I also noticed the newspaper from Hill Valley from 1955 after the clock tower was struck by lightning. Something I don't think was there before.

February 2008: Carnival Pride Mexican Rivera Cruise - Hollywood - Santa Monica | December 2008: Disneyland - California Adventure - Universal Studios Hollywood - Knotts Berry Farm - Las Vegas | October 2009: Universal Studios Florida - Islands of Adventure - Carnival Glory Eastern Caribbean Cruise | October 2010: Islands of Adventure - Universal Studios Florida - Carnival Legend Western Caribbean Cruise | April 2011: Epcot - Carnival Dream Western Caribbean Cruise - Charleston S.C. | April 2012: Magic Kingdom - Epcot - Hollywood Studios - Animal Kingdom - Islands of Adventure - Universal Studios Florida | December 2012: Disneyland - Disney California Adventure - Universal Studios Hollywood | May 2013: Myrtle Beach S.C. - Charleston S.C. | September 2013: Universal Studios Florida - Islands of Adventure - Carnival Dream Eastern Caribbean Cruise | June 2014: Magic Kingdom - Epcot - Hollywood Studios - Animal Kingdom - Universal Studios Florida - Islands of Adventure
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-14-2012, 02:07 PM   #33
Teknik_DC2
Mouseketeer

While we were in the New York area and since we would be heading over to Islands of Adventure next I figured i'd take a spin on my favorite ride in the Studios one more time. Revenge of the Mummy. This was the first time that I had used the Single Rider line on the Mummy and although it was the longest Single Rider line I waited in all day it was still practicly a walk on (Maybe a 5 minute wait). Be careful when using the Single Rider line here though as you go from the bright outside light to the egyptian tomb stairs pretty much immediatly. My eyes hadn't adjusted yet so the climb up the stairs was pretty fun not being able to see where I was steping. At the top of the stairs there were about 8 people in front of me before my turn. This ride was the first time I had a prolonged stop actually out in the ride. The ride stopped for a moment in the Fire room which was really neat as we saw the attendant station reset itself before we continued on with the ride. I'm a sucker for these kind of behind the scene looks at how effects are pulled off so I won't complain during a break down. After the ride was finished I meet back up with Kiera and although she would have walked on as well she didn't want to go on the Mummy.

We made our way to the exit looking at some of the other areas of New York before stopping by a some shops on the way out. Some of the details had already emerged from the Dispicable Me exit shop with some of the girls drawings on the windows that are super cute. We also had to get a picture of Danny wearing some Shrek ears and loved that he pulled an "Ogre Face" for the picture.

As we were about to leave the park something caught my notice on one of the Park wait times boards. No way I thought. I couldn't have seen that. Its not suppose to premier for a few more weeks. I waited for the wait time board to rotate thru one more time and sure enough what I saw was correct. Universal Cinematic Spectacular 8:30pm. The new Nighttime Show Universal has been constructing for months would be performing tonight. The first time it would have a public Technical Rehersal. Now it makes sense why Universal Studios Hours that day were extended from 8 to 8:30. Looks like our time in the Studios park wasn't quite over yet. We would now plan on leaving Islands of Adventure early so that we could go back to the Studios and see this new Nighttime show.

When leaving the park we decided to take the "Hard Rock" exit. This Exit is located between the Universal Studios Store and Dispicable Me and will dump you out in front of the Blue Man Group theater. Not only is this way a little quicker when hopping over to Islands of Adventure but you also get to pass the former Nickelodeon studios building. As a child of the 90's Nickelodeon Studios was like sacred ground. It still saddens me to see it today and think Nick is no longer there.

After walking thru Citywalk and passing the Rockit, Hard Rock, and the NBA Cafe we arrived back at Islands of Adventure and entered the Port of Entry. We had one thing on our mind at this point and that was Butterbeer. So instead of turning in to Marvel Superhero Island like we did a couple days earlier today we walked in to Suess Landing instead to make our way to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter.

Last edited by Teknik_DC2; 05-14-2012 at 02:39 PM.
Old 05-14-2012, 02:09 PM   #34
Teknik_DC2
Mouseketeer

While walking thru Suess Landing though we saw practicly no wait for the Caro-Suess-el so we figured we might as well stop and take Daniel on it since he hasn't been able to do any rides. It would also be his first ride on a Marry Go Round. We strapped him on tight by wrapping the belt around him twice. Kiera obviously would hold on to him the whole ride as well. He seemed pretty excited about it at first but that quickly changed once the ride started and we started spinning and his seat moving up and down. He never cried but he got a very concerned look on his face like he had no clue what to think about the ride. It was pretty funny to see his expersions because none of them were excitement lol. I think he was pretty happy that the ride was over when it came to a stop.

After finishing the Ride we continued thru the rest of Suess Landing and passed in to the Lost Continant. Since there was nothing else here that we hadn't already done or were interested in doing again we quickly passed thru the area to where the Wizarding World was awaiting us.

The Wizarding World although the most packed area of the park wasn't bad crowd wise whatsoever. In fact when we walked up to get Butterbeer from the cart outside (we almost always get it from the Hogs head) There was no wait on one side to get it. There is always a wait at that main butterbeer cart so that tells you how unpacked the area and park in general was today. I refilled both of our mugs with Fozen butterbeer then we took the time drinking them while walking around the Wizarding World. Even though i've entered this area now nearly a dozen times over my 2 trips Theres always a sense of Awe and Wonder and Excitment over how amazing this area is.

While walking around we saw that there was a very short wait for Olivanders Wand Shop. This attraction is one thats known for having fairly long lines all day long. We wanted to see this cute show again so we hopped in line for it and we got in the next show. So it was maybe like a 10 minute wait. Although I bought a wand on our previous visit I secretly hoped to be picked for the oppetunity for a wand to "Pick" me. That didn't happen though as a boy who looked around the appropriate age of 11 was picked instead. As I said the show is actually pretty cute and worth checking out if you've never been to the Wizard World before. Just as in the first movie you see the process for a young Wizard having there first wand pick them. After a couple mishaps with the wrong wands (in our case today making it storm outside, and breaking some of the wand shop shelves) the correct wand was found and it picked the kid indicated with a bright light. The show is only about 5-8 minutes long and of course afterwards you empty into ether an extension of Olivanders or the Owl post both of which sell an assortment of Wands.

Old 05-14-2012, 02:11 PM   #35
Teknik_DC2
Mouseketeer

Our next stop would take us back to Hogwarts Castle for another ride on the Forbidden Journey. It was here where we would learn the best trick and advice to give to anyone traveling with an Infant or small child that you'd have to use Child Swap for. You can Use Child Swap WITH Single Rider. I verified this upon entering the castle and we were directed to the Single Rider line where Kiera then went to the Child Swap room as we neared the load plateform and I rode just like a normal single rider would. After returning Kiera would then ride just as a normal Child Swap would. This will save you so much time using Child Swap with Single Rider that you could easily see everything the park (maybe even both parks on a slow day) has to offer and is probably even better then having the Express pass. Today for instance there was literally no wait for any Single Rider line we entered and we both rode in a mater of minutes. Just keep in mind that by Using Single Rider you do miss most of the amazing themed ques that almost all of Universals attractions have. But if thats worth it to save alot of time then go for it. With a child or not we usually used Single Rider lines after going thru the main line anyways.

As for the ride itself this was the best ride I had this trip and also probably one of the better rides i've had in general on the Forbidden Journey. The only thing that didn't work (in addition to the usual Dementor Soul Sucking effect) was that the Dragons "Fire" didn't work. Not too big of a deal but something thats pretty neat when working right. There were no stops this time and I remembered this time to look at the base of the Whomping Willow to see a neat little easter egg. I soon returned and Swaped with Kiera where she went and rode as well. It was much nicer being in the child swap room today as it wasn't nearly as packed as it was a couple days earlier.

After finishing the Forbidden Journey there was one other ride on my Must Do Reride list today. That ride is the Amazing Adventures of Spiderman. So upon leaving Hogwarts we turned to leave the Wizarding World to make our way back to Marvel to once again experiance this amazing ride.

Well thats all for today. Part 2 will be posted in the next couple days. As always if you have any questions or comments please feel free to share them. Thanks everyone.

Old 05-14-2012, 04:57 PM   #36
patches07
DIS Veteran

Awesome report. Can't wait to hear how the trip in Disney went. My DH and I are taking a trip in November for our son's 3rd Birthday and also his first Disney trip.

Old 05-14-2012, 05:36 PM   #37
Rosebud123
Mouseketeer

LOVE your report! Can't believe you only paid $35 a night. Total deal.
Old 05-15-2012, 01:55 AM   #38
Teknik_DC2
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by patches07 View Post
Awesome report. Can't wait to hear how the trip in Disney went. My DH and I are taking a trip in November for our son's 3rd Birthday and also his first Disney trip.
Thanks i'm actually really excited to be so close to starting the Disney portion of the trip. Only one more Universal update is left and the rest will be all Disney.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebud123 View Post
LOVE your report! Can't believe you only paid $35 a night. Total deal.
I know it was seriously such a great deal. Especially since published costs for the hotel was around $75+ a night for the same hotel. I love Hotwire. Thats why I almost alway use it.

Old 05-15-2012, 10:25 AM   #39
Imagineer5
DIS Veteran

Loved hearing about your Universal day minus the fam! Sounds like it was still pretty easy, which is great. Does spiderman have a single rider? I don't remember seeing that when we were there, and we waited for about 40 minutes for the older version last time. You're right, butterbeer is fantastic. Though I would also not mind waiting to revisit Universal until the WW expansion is complete. I still don't get what they plan to do, esp if some of it will be in Universal and some in IOA with maybe the express between them? IDK.

Too cool about using child swap with single rider for FJ. That's such an awesome ride and it's good to know we can do that! Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknik_DC2 View Post
If you havn't experianced the updated Spiderman then that alone is worth a trip to Islands of Adventure. It seriously is that awesome and great. Plus the Wizarding World and Butterbeer make it that much better lol. I say if you can spring for a day at Universal then go for it. Yes it will be tougher tackling Universal with an Infant without help. Much more then Disney. However it is doable AND as you will see in my next update when we do go back to Universal without help you can utilize Child Swap WITH Single Rider. This cut the wait to practicly nothing. Using Single Rider with Child Swap is seriously probably even better then Express Pass. You could probably see both parks in a day doing this.

Daniel is pretty good about feeding himself. Once its out he can find and latch on to it himself with no problems. Kiera just holds him on her lap. The biggest issue at this age is distractions as he gets easily distracted and that makes him unlatch and stop feeding. Thats why the Baby Care centers were much better for feedings then random locations as they had dimmed lights, and were quite so he didn't get as distracted in there.

As I said with the Stroller had we felt comfortable taking our larger stroller then we would have. It would have worked out much better in the long run. We do plan to take it to Disneyland this fall since we will be driving instead of flying. The stroller we took though did work just fine for what we needed it to though.

As with the car seat and no base I never had any issues as when Daniel travels in my car I don't have a base and use the belts anyways. However One time when kiera put him in she forgot to strap the belt because she is so use to just dropping the seat into the base. Luckly I saw her forget immidiately and got him strapped in and then made fun of her for it lol. So thats the most important thing if you so use to the base is to not forget to buckle the seat in.

Anyways if you have any more questions please feel free to ask.

Well that's good to know about Danny's ability to feed himself, in a sense. Maybe it will be much easier to nurse around the world than I envision. BTW kudos to your wife for nursing so long, it's not easy in the beginning but I do hope to do it for a year! Yeah thanks for the reminder about the distractions though, she's already doing that at home, like if DH walks into the room she follows him with her eyes and stops eating. A coverup will definitely be needed unless I can use the baby care stations. Can men go in? Did you go in and sit with Keira while she nursed? Or did you just shop around and wait outside? IDK what's appropriate

Too funny about not strapping in the car seat on accident, good thing you caught that! I could see that happening.

Thanks again and looking forward to more!
Old 05-17-2012, 03:08 AM   #40
Teknik_DC2
Mouseketeer

Day 4: Universal Orlando Resort Part 2

As we entered into Jurassic Park Daniel crashed out for a nap. Nothing of real interest happened as we walked thru Jurassic Park as we didn't stop to see anything here. Dispite the addition of the Wizarding World I still love the Jurassic Park area as theres so many small details to look for.

Passing thru Toon Lagoon was much the same. We pretty much just passed right thru as Danny was still asleep and frankly we didn't want to get wet. The only stop we made was at the Marmeduke photo op that i've got a photo with on each of our visits. This time it was somewhat of a pain though as kid after kid keep cutting in line for it and there parents were totally fine with that. We finally got the photo then and continued on to area we were heading to.

We finally arrived back in Marvel Superhero Island to do a reride on our favorite attraction in the park. Spiderman. With how amazing the ride was a couple days ago I made it a point that we would reride this thing before the Universal portion of the trip was over. When we arrived at Spiderman a 15 minute wait was posted. No bad but it wouldn't be a wait for us. Instead we went to the Single Rider line. And since Daniel was still asleep in the stroller they let Kiera roll him right up to the Child Swap area. I continued thru the Single Rider line and to the load plateform where there was nobody else waiting. I literally walked right on to the ride with no wait using Single Rider. And wow this ride was just as great as the first ride on it. Seriously the new animation and HD projectors are incredible. I could ride this thing all day long if I had the chance to.

I returned to the Child Swap area and it was Kieras turn to ride. She left and basically walked right on to the ride as well. While she was gone Daniel woke up from his Nap and was fine hanging out while Mom was gone. Then I noticed something odd. Nobody was exiting the ride. With how the Child Swap room is situated you can pretty much see the unload plateform and no vehicles were pulling in. Then the announcement came over for those in the ride to please stay seated and the ride would start again soon. This happened one more time after the ride started going again before Kiera got off the ride. Sure enough she said she was on the ride both times. With Daniel now awake he was Hungry so Kiera decided to start feeding him while she was alone in the Child Swap room. Since she was gonna feed I decided to take advantage of the time and go reride Spiderman Again.

Because of the breakdown issues they were allowing anyone on the ride at the time to take a reride without rewaiting. Instead of getting in this longer line I walked back down to the Single Rider line and was back on the ride vehicle before most of those waiting to reride. As I walked down the Single Rider line hallway I also got a peak into the 3d glasses Wash room which was pretty cool to see. Seeing the wash room was the start of what would be a very cool behind the scenes look at the attraction. I say this because not long after we started during the Spider signal scene the vehicle stopped again and that familiar overhead announcement came over the intercom. At this point I found I would be in for a treat as the people sitting next to me became very annoying very quickly. They started cussing there mouths off because of the stop and then started yelling "help" as loud as they could to be annoying. The Houselights then came on overhead and now I really thought the ride was stuck and we would be seeing an EVAC. But that didn't happen as shortly after the houselights came on the ride started moving again.

Although the ride was in sync with the movements and audio and video I elected to take my 3d glasses off to take a look at how the ride looks with the house lights on. With the exception of the houselights being on the Ride operated as it should until the sewage scene when the houselights finally shut off. I figured we would be in the clear now for the rest of the ride but I was wrong. It was about to get alot stranger as once we hit the scene when we get lifted into the air the ride vehicle stopped again. It was really neat getting stuck where we did because We got to see the building that move down the screen as your lifted into the air reset itself.

This was the point we were stuck in the longest and in addition to the fowl mouthed people cussing even more now and being even more ubnoxous a hear a man in the back of the vehicle say "Now this isn't very Disney like now is it". Are you kidding me? Like Disney rides never break down? Or ever have issues? This became the running joke between Kiera and I the rest of our time at Disney as there were far more matenance issues or rides closed for breakdowns then there were at Universal.

From this point on the vehicle pretty much limped itself back to the unload plateform. We did stop again momentarly in the "drop" scene which was once again very cool to see how it all worked and how they pull off the effect. Although so many people were complaining about the breakdown issues I was SO HAPPY that I got to see a behind the scenes look at how such an amazing ride works. I will say though that I was very happy to get out of that vehicle and away from the fowl mouthed people I was sitting next to.

In the child swap room Kiera was still trying to feed Daniel and obviously didn't want to move while he was eating. She suggested that I go ride Spiderman again but as I looked at the unload area I could see that all of the vehicles now coming in were empty. Which means they must be cycling the vehicles empty to try to get the breakdown bugs fixed. With no Idea how long this would take I decided to not reride Spiderman and instead Kiera stayed in the Child Swap area to finish feeding Daniel while I left and went to ride The Hulk Again.

When I arrived at the Hulk there was only a 5 minute wait. However the Singles ride line was open so that would be a better option for me at this time. Or was it? After walking thru the Single Rider line to the load area there was once again nobody waiting in front of me. But then again with the exception of the front row there was also nobody most of the other rows. I would have had the same wait ether way. So again i walked right on to the attraction and had another incredible ride on the Hulk. I love the launch on this thing so much. HULK SMASH!!!!

Upon exiting the ride I found Kiera waiting for me. Daniel finished feeding for the moment and we were both getting hungry so we decided to head back to the Wizarding World to get dinner at the Three Broomsticks. While walking thru Marvel though I told Kiera that if she wasn't done feeding yet that I wanted to give Dr. Doom's Fearfall a try since I've never done it before. She told me to just go ahead and do it since I would use Single Riders again and be done in no time. Again this is a ride that I don't think Single rider even made a difference as there was a 5 minute wait posted and nobody was in line when I reached the merge point. I hear the que for Dr. Doom is pretty cool so I'm kinda sad I missed it by going to the Single rider line instead. The ride itself was pretty cool even though its your typical shot tower. I really liked that you basically start in a room and the views from the top of the ride are incredible. Although the ride is still very similar to other shot tower rides it would be worth checking out if the wait is short.

Old 05-17-2012, 03:10 AM   #41
Teknik_DC2
Mouseketeer

After another walk one last time thru Toon Lagoon and Jurassic Park we passed thru the Hogsmead arch one more time to spend the rest of our day in Islands of Adventure in the Wizarding World.

Dinner tonight would be at none other then the Three Broomsticks. We had to eat here at least once on this trip and there would be no other time then now to do so. And it worked out great as when we arrived there was no waiting. Kiera went to find us a table and to finish feeding Daniel while I ordered our dinner. We both decided on the Chicken and Ribs platter which we both agreed was really good. Especially the ribs. After dinner we grabbed a couple more Butterbeers from the Hogs Head before heading back out into the Wizarding World.

I wanted to try and do one more ride on the Forbidden Journey before we left Islands of Adventure or at least a Castle tour to try to get some better photos within Hogwarts. But with a rush to get back to the Studios for the Cinematic Spectacular and not having enough time to Shop and ride we Never ended up making it back on the ride. Instead we spent our final 30 minutes shopping around the Wizarding World.

Up at Felches Emporium We found a Wizarding World Christmas Ornament which we ended up purchasing. We try to buy a Christmas Ornament on each of our vacations and we figured this one would work great for this portion of the trip as we bought a more generic Universal Studios one on our previous visit. Upon exiting the shop Forbidden Journey only had a 10 minute wait posted. If only we had a little more time in the day.

We looked around in Dervish and Banges and the Owl Post but didn't find anything we really wanted on this trip. We would find a shirt or something that we liked on the front but we wouldn't like the grapic on back. Plus many of the items we liked we bought on our previous trip to the Wizarding World. I did get an update photo of me in some Hogwarts robes though as now thanks to Pottermore I know which house I'm in. Which is Hufflepuff.

Old 05-17-2012, 03:11 AM   #42
Teknik_DC2
Mouseketeer

The final stores we would look in and where we finished our Wizarding World shopping was Honeydukes and Zonkos. If theres one thing we can't get enough of in the Wizarding World other then Butterbeer is the sweets and treats. We picked us up a couple boxes of Pepperment Toads, a Jar of Pepper Imps, a bag of bulk candies, and lastly a Caldron Cake.

With it now being 8pm Islands of Adventure would be officially closed for the day and we now needed to get back to the Studios to catch the new Nightime Show. We grabbed 2 more Butterbeers, Our final Butterbeers of the trip, and left the Wizarding World for the night and the trip. Its was so sad to think that this was it for the trip. That three days had come and gone already and now we would find ourselves wondering when we would return again. Will we be back next year? When the expansion finishes? Will our next visit be in California when the Wizarding World is finished at Universal Studios Hollywood? Only time will tell.

On the way out of the Park we couldn't take our time taking it in as we had to get to the other park. It was slowly getting dark and I must say Islands of Adventure (and especially the Wizarding world) is very beautiful after nightfall. We didn't get to experiance that on this trip but if you get the chance to then stay after nightfall. Islands of Adventure truely is and incredible park which themeing is up there and even excedes that of many Disney Parks. I know many people try to discredit it or claim to only visit for Harry Potter but if you do visit the park give it a chance. Don't compare it to Disney and judge it on its own marits. Also take the time to enjoy everything the park has to offer and not just the Wizarding World. Yes there is nothing like the Wizarding World anywhere else and it is truely emersing and incrdible. But don't pass up what I consider the greatest ride ever in Spiderman or the Hulk which is an amazing coaster. The Popeye rapids are the best rapids ride i've ever been on, Duddly has the best Log Flume drop i've seen, Jurassic park is just awesome. Seriously this park is great. Don't over look it. I can't wait til I get to visit again some day as I never tire of it.

We soon exited the IOA gates and were soon passing the Hard Rock once again to make our way to the Studios. Upon approching the ticket gate we were enformed that the park would be closing in 15 minutes. Nobody followed us over from Islands of Adventure but there were a few groups of people coming into the park from Citywalk. Most likely locals who caught wind of the Night Show debuting to the public for the first time tonight. Although we were warned that the park would soon be closing the TM's did confirm the show would be taking place tonight.

After passing thru Hollywood we found ourselves at the lagoon where the waterscreens were running and projecting what looked like test patterns on the screen. While Kiera waited where we originally found a spot I went further into the Central park area where I found an even better spot where we soon moved to. I figured it would be better anyways as with some slight wind I didn't know if the water would blow in to us in the other location.

The announcement soon came over that the show would be starting soon and the surrounding areas would go dark during the show. I got the camera ready and the show soon began with white fog covered fountains rising from the lagoon and the sound of Morgan Freemans voice echoed thruout the park.

Its very difficult to discribe the show although I will say I was very impressed with it. The star of the show is the Waterscreens which images and clips of some of the most classic scenes of Universal film history are projected on to. The color changing fountains, fireworks, and spotlights all complement whats taking place on the screens themselves.

Old 05-17-2012, 03:15 AM   #43
Teknik_DC2
Mouseketeer

The show starts out as a compliation of multipule films and generas before being devided into segments. These segments include Good Vs. Evil, Laughter, Horror, Heros, and Love. I loved how dark and creepy the Horror portion got and even better how quickly the Dispicable Me Minions pulled the show into the laughter segment.

This thing really is great and if you are attached to some of these classics the show will really touch your heart. Let me say now that these photos truely do not do the Show ANY justice. This is something that you must experiance yourself to truely understand. Please do not judge it off the photos. The perfect sync of the screens and fountains and fireworks were incredible and exactly what Univesal needs. The question of course is how it compares to Disney's Nighttime offerings. And I will compare all of these at the end of this trip report. However I will say that the show is exactly what Universal needed and should not be compared to any of Disney's offereings. I never once thought "this is a disney rip off" during the show. Is unique enough to stand on its own. Likewise I never though "universal" while watching Fantasmic or Illuminations. The shows complement there respective resorts with out copying one another.

When it comes down to it I thought the show was great. Danny loved all the fireworks and the show was alot of fun. I think its great that we will always look back on this night and say "we were there for the first public showing". Something that could be special to Daniel later on in his life. I loved the show and look forward to seeing how the show changes and matures in the future with the Tech they have in place.

With the show over and the park closed we stopped by the Universal Studio store before exiting the park. We still had a couple more things that we wanted to grab before leaving the Universal Resort. At this store we picked up a Thing 1 shirt for Daniel and also got him a Minion plush. I loved all of the Dispicable Me stuff that they had out for sale and wish we could have picked up some more as they had the 3 little kitties book and even the cookies that the girls sell in the films.

We made one last stop at the Universal Store in Citywalk as well before leaving the resort. We stopped there to see what Postcards they had as we also buy a postcard for each park we go to on our vacations. The Studios store only had cards for the Studios so I figured the Citywalk store would have them for both parks. We found 2 cards that worked but its getting more and more difficult to find new cards as we have most of the general park ones now. They really need to produce updated postcards as most of them are very outdated. I never realized how little the citywalk store is and it didn't carry many of the things the studios store did so keep that in mind. The large stores in the parks had a larger selection of products.

As we left Citywalk we looked at the other side of the Minigolf Course that looks great at night. It looked like so much fun. Oh well maybe next time. We then walked under the goodbye sign and our time at the resort was over for this trip.

We made the drive back to our hotel and as we got out of the car we could hear the faint sound of explosions and flashes of light thru the trees. It was the Magic Kingdoms fireworks that were taking place and I was pretty suprised that we could not just hear them but we could even see them from our hotel. After taking our stuff to the room I took Daniel with me up to the top floor of the hotel where we had a great view of the fireworks dispite them being pretty small being so far away. It was still neat though and we caught the finale.

Back in the Hotel room for the night we gave Daniel his Minion plush to play with and he loved it. He played with it the rest of the night and even fell asleep while playing with it. He was so cute with it.

We too finally went to bed as we would have our first full day at a Disney park tomorrow. And Disney also ment more walking and longer hours in the parks. We needed our rest so we went to bed quickly. Our return to Disney would finally start tomorrow.

Well thats not all for this update but for also the Universal portion of the trip. Please feel free to ask any questions or comments you may have. Thanks again for following this review.

MY NEXT UPDATE WILL BE OUR FIRST DAY AT THE WALT DISNEY WORLD RESORT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 05-17-2012, 08:17 AM   #44
Imagineer5
DIS Veteran

AWw loved your latest Universal update!! So - biggest question I have - do you have pictures or a description of the ornament you found at Filches? I searched and searched and was told no ornaments when we were there in Oct 2010, so I am overjoyed to hear there is now a WW ornament - were there more options?? I would just love to hear about it, as we always pick up multiple ornaments too.

Also, wanted to chime in about Pottermore - I'm in Slytherin apparently. I was mad at first but think it's actually pretty fitting...

The nighttime show looks fantastic, we might have to fit in a day there just to see 1. FJ & WW, 2. updated Spiderman, 3. ride Mummy again (loved this one SO SO much better than Universal Hollywood), 4. see nighttime show. Also, the mini golf (I forget whether I commented on it before) looks so awesome, though IDK how much fun it'd be with a little baby...

Anyway looking forward to you heading to Disney!!
Old 05-17-2012, 06:09 PM   #45
Teknik_DC2
Mouseketeer

Thanks for continuing to follow and comment Imagineer5. Looks like I have two posts from you to comment on.

Quote:
Loved hearing about your Universal day minus the fam! Sounds like it was still pretty easy, which is great. Does spiderman have a single rider? I don't remember seeing that when we were there, and we waited for about 40 minutes for the older version last time. You're right, butterbeer is fantastic. Though I would also not mind waiting to revisit Universal until the WW expansion is complete. I still don't get what they plan to do, esp if some of it will be in Universal and some in IOA with maybe the express between them? IDK.

Too cool about using child swap with single rider for FJ. That's such an awesome ride and it's good to know we can do that! Thanks!

Well that's good to know about Danny's ability to feed himself, in a sense. Maybe it will be much easier to nurse around the world than I envision. BTW kudos to your wife for nursing so long, it's not easy in the beginning but I do hope to do it for a year! Yeah thanks for the reminder about the distractions though, she's already doing that at home, like if DH walks into the room she follows him with her eyes and stops eating. A coverup will definitely be needed unless I can use the baby care stations. Can men go in? Did you go in and sit with Keira while she nursed? Or did you just shop around and wait outside? IDK what's appropriate

Too funny about not strapping in the car seat on accident, good thing you caught that! I could see that happening.

Thanks again and looking forward to more!
Yes Spiderman does have Single rider (which i'm sure you know now since the rest of my review for that day has been posted). You may not have seen it before because I heard they only opened it on very busy days before the rides upgrade. Now that with the Updates Single Rider is always open.

As for the potter expansion this is something i've been following very closely on other sites that talk more so about theme park workings and rumors then they are about vacation planning. Anyways the strong rumors are that a London area is going to be built on the Jaws/Amity land. Somewhere along the London fascade will be the enterance to Diagon Alley. It will be anchored by a Gringots "E" ticket that will supposedly make Forbidden Journey look like Small World. The shops in Diagon Alley will likely sell many of the same things as Hogsmead but they will likely be larger. Olivanders will also likely be built with multipule show rooms to help flow people thru quicker. Theres also been rumors of a possible Ministry Walk Thru or even a small family dark ride thru the Weasley Brothers joke shop. Then of course theres the rumor of Kings Cross being built with an actual Hogwarts express connecting the two areas. It could use a similar tech to the Kong Encounter in Universal Studios Hollywood which would keep the backstage area hidden from guests as they travel thru the backstage area. Its pretty exciting and i'm really interested to see what ends up coming out of these rumors when the finally release the details about the expansion. Its likely to be done in Spring 2015.

Yes Using Single Rider with Child Swap worked great. I seriously can't recommend this enough if its just the two of you with a small child or infant going to the Universal parks. You can do it on any ride that offers single rider.

Kiera does get frustrated sometimes with having to breast feed still but its worth it to her. Its alot of work but she made it work in the parks. Just rememeber to use the Baby Care centers and you'll be fine. Most of them are in the center of the park so they aren't really too far out of the way. Kiera liked the Baby Care Centers in the Animal Kingdom and Hollywood Studios the best because the nursing rooms were private so she didn't have to cover up and could feed Daniel the best in them. She could also bring the stoller in to those ones. I was allowed to join her in the private rooms if I wanted to. However in Magic Kingdom and Epcot the Nursing area is just one large room that you share. Needless to say Kiera used the cover up in there as well and I was not allowed to enter the room. Although there were waiting areas I typically used the time to go do rerides or grab fastpasses as it usually takes 30-40 minutes for Daniel to feed.

Quote:
AWw loved your latest Universal update!! So - biggest question I have - do you have pictures or a description of the ornament you found at Filches? I searched and searched and was told no ornaments when we were there in Oct 2010, so I am overjoyed to hear there is now a WW ornament - were there more options?? I would just love to hear about it, as we always pick up multiple ornaments too.

Also, wanted to chime in about Pottermore - I'm in Slytherin apparently. I was mad at first but think it's actually pretty fitting...

The nighttime show looks fantastic, we might have to fit in a day there just to see 1. FJ & WW, 2. updated Spiderman, 3. ride Mummy again (loved this one SO SO much better than Universal Hollywood), 4. see nighttime show. Also, the mini golf (I forget whether I commented on it before) looks so awesome, though IDK how much fun it'd be with a little baby...

Anyway looking forward to you heading to Disney!!
I'll have to take a close up picture of the ornament and share it. Its nothing real special. Its like a ceramic plate with Harry Potters picture in the middle surrounded by Griffendor colors. On the back it has the Wizarding World logo on it. They also had the same ornament with Ron or Hermione on it. They had one other as well that had the Wizard World logo and the Hogwarts house and school crest on it. They were located near the registers in Felches.

I too was kind of suprised about what house I was in from Pottermore as I thought i'd be a Ravenclaw. Oh well though i'm happy to be a Hufflepuff.

As i've said I think with a 2 park pass and utilizing Single Rider with Child Swap you could easily see both parks in a day. Start out at IOA doing the Wizarding World first, then bounce around the park hitting the highlights of Jurassic Park, Spiderman, Hulk, and Cat in the Hat. Then head over to the Studios for the 2nd half of the day and hit the major stuff with Mummy, Simpsons, MIB, Rockit, and ET. Then catch the new parade and night time show. It will be a busy day but I'm confident enough that its do able. Danny loved the Night Time show as it was his first time really seeing Fireworks. Plus he liked the colored fountains too.

Anyways I think that covers it all so If you have any more questions then just let me know. thanks again.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: