Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2012, 09:04 AM   #136
khertz
Proud member of the WHO DAT NATION!!

Looks like y'all had a really great vacation! It is always so sad when something you plan and look forward to for so long finally comes to an end. I am always so tired and worn out by the end, but still not ready to leave the magic and come back to the real world! I'm glad Kiera got to see IllumiNations, it's a really beautiful show. Danny still looked so cute with the characters, even late at night after a long week in Disney!
JULY 1994 // Offsite & Universal Studios & Busch Gardens | APRIL 1998 // All Star Music & Universal Studios |FEBRUARY 2001 // All Star Music & Universal | MARCH 2003 // All Star Music & Universal // Hard Rock Hotel | FEBRUARY 2004 // All Star Music & Universal // Royal Pacific & Sea World | OCTOBER 2007 (Disneymoon!) // Port Orleans French Quarter & Universal Studios // Royal Pacific | DECEMBER 2009 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/ TR | JULY/AUGUST 2010 // Wyndham Cypress Palms TR | NOVEMBER 2011 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | MAY 2012 // Disneyland // Wyndham Dolphin's Cove TR | AUGUST 2012 // Disneyland 5 Year Anniversary Trip // Peacock Suites TR | OCTOBER 2012 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | OCTOBER 2013 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek & Universal // Royal Pacific PTR/TR | MAY 2014 // Wilderness Lodge TR | SEPTEMBER 2014 // ABD DIS Exclusive Viva Italia & Disneyland Paris Show No Fear! DIS Exclusive Viva Italia + DLP Sept 2014 | MARCH 2015 // Disneyland // Wyndham Dolphin's Cove | OCTOBER 2015 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek & Universal | FEBRUARY 2016 // ??
Old 08-20-2012, 02:25 AM   #137
Teknik_DC2
DIS Veteran

Well July was a crazy month for me but i'm finally back with the final recap of our trip. Sorry for the delay but here it is:

Day 10: Travel Home

The day we least looked forward to was finally upon us. Our vacation was over today. And by tonight we would be back home in Utah. Although we would be going home today our flight wouldn't be leaving Orlando until 2:30 so we had time to prepare to leave. Since we weren't in a rush we were still able to sleep in a little bit before needing to check out of the hotel by 11am. Because we slept in and finished packing we once again missed the breakfast that the hotel offers at no charge but that was ok. We has something else in mind.

We were able to get ready quicker then we thought we would so we got the car packed and checked out of the Hotel by 10:30am. Once again we really enjoyed our stay at the Baymont Inn and Suits and we wouldn't hisitate to stay here again on future visits. The Hotel was close to everything Disney and for the price we got it for on Hotwire.com we couldn't go wrong.

We like to be at the Airport about 2 hours prior to our flight to give us plenty of time but with leaving the Hotel earlier then we planned we had an extra 2 hours to kill prior to being at the airport. With this time to Kill we decided to return to the Disney Property one last time and grab lunch from Downtown Disney. To help kill some time we drove on the backroads thru the Disney Proprty instead of the main highways passing many of the Disney Resort Hotels. Eventually we even passed Hollywood Studios again and were able to spot the Tower of Terror looming in the distance.

Knowing exactly what we wanted for lunch we made our way to the Marketplace area of Downtown Disney. Its amazing how much less crowded the are is when you visit in the morning compared to in the Evening when we've visited each time before. We love Earl of Sandwich so much that we wanted to get it again before we left town. Kiera stayed behind in the car while Daniel feed though and I ran into the area to get our food. The wait was longer then when we were here the other night but that was ok. I got another very good sandwich and Kiera decided to branch out this time and got a Salad which she said was also very good.

We ate our food in the car before leaving the Downtown Disney Parking lot. Then it was time to face the music. Our time at Disney was over. It was time to leave the Florida property. And at this time we still don't know for sure when we will return for another trip to the Disney World Parks. It was a wonderful time and a new experiance tackling the parks with an Infant. Although our time at the Disney World resort was over at least our Year of Disney wasn't yet.

After eating we left the property and got on the I-4 freeway to head back to the airport. The drive on the freeway reminded of us of our time earlier in this trip making this drive to the Universal Orlando Resort and the great time we had there as well. However before continuing to the resort we merged onto the Florida 528 Highway to head out to the airport. We did make a quick stop though on International Drive to top the Rental Cars fuel tank off. We wouldn't want to be hit with those fees for returning the car empty. As we were about to get back on the 528 though just down the street was Sea World. This was actually the first time we had seen any of the parks coasters in all of our visits. Maybe someday we will visit this park as well.

Within 15 minutes we arrived at the Orlando International Airport and headed strait to the Rental Car return. Suprisingly as soon as we pulled up somebody was waiting to start checking our car back in. This is a first as we have usually had to wait in the past. As they started doing the vehicle check I walked over to get another cart to haul all of our bags into the terminal. I did have a guy stop and offer to take it for us but I declined. And he then kinda of got mad about it. I'm sorry guy but I will pay more to take the bags myself. I don't want somebody I don't know handling my bags in a parking garage.

The car passed its check in inspection. Something I always seem to stress about especially since I didn't buy there insurance. We packed up the cart and head into the terminal to get checked in. The line was longer then it was when we were leaving SLC but it still moved pretty quickly. We checked all the luggage we needed to and it turns out we didn't even need to buy that extra bag from Target the night before. We still would have been under our weight limits.

We still had 2 hours to kill before our flight left so we spent some time looking around the shops in the airport. We spent the most time though looking thru the Universal and Disney stores to make sure there wasn't anything we were forgeting that we wanted. Other then grabbing some pamplets to use for scrapbooking we left both stores empty handed.

With no more stores that we cared to look at we decided it was time to head thru security and take the tram out to where our gate was located. Security was very quick and effeciant and before we knew it we were on the tram.

As we exited the tram and entered the Concorse we were able to quickly find our gate as it was one of the first that we came to. We found some seats to sit in and then took turns watching Daniel while we each used the restroom prior to the flight. I also went and grabbed us a couple Non-Coffee Frappichinos from Starbucks. This is something that has been somewhat of a tradition when we travel. To buy Starbucks whenever there is a Starbucks in the airport. I got a strawberries and cream and Kiera got the Chocloate and Cream one. Both were very good and satisfiying while we waited for our flight.

February 2008: Carnival Pride Mexican Rivera Cruise - Hollywood - Santa Monica | December 2008: Disneyland - California Adventure - Universal Studios Hollywood - Knotts Berry Farm - Las Vegas | October 2009: Universal Studios Florida - Islands of Adventure - Carnival Glory Eastern Caribbean Cruise | October 2010: Islands of Adventure - Universal Studios Florida - Carnival Legend Western Caribbean Cruise | April 2011: Epcot - Carnival Dream Western Caribbean Cruise - Charleston S.C. | April 2012: Magic Kingdom - Epcot - Hollywood Studios - Animal Kingdom - Islands of Adventure - Universal Studios Florida | December 2012: Disneyland - Disney California Adventure - Universal Studios Hollywood | May 2013: Myrtle Beach S.C. - Charleston S.C. | September 2013: Universal Studios Florida - Islands of Adventure - Carnival Dream Eastern Caribbean Cruise | June 2014: Magic Kingdom - Epcot - Hollywood Studios - Animal Kingdom - Universal Studios Florida - Islands of Adventure
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-20-2012, 02:27 AM   #138
Teknik_DC2
DIS Veteran

We killed time playing on the Laptop and Kindle but eventually time time came that our flight arrived and it was time to board. Not being at the Hotel 24 hours before our flight I wasn't able to get us a good spot while checking in. Thats ok though as we had Daniel and would be doing Family boarding before the number we were assigned. This was our first time doing Family Boarding and it worked out great. We didn't find any seats until about mid plane but it was better then where we could have got.

As we got settled into our seats we started to notice those familiar looks that we got when we flew to Florida 10 days ago. The look of "They have a baby. I'm not sitting by them". To make matters worse for how good Daniel was flying to Florida and how good he had been this whole trip he started to get a little fussy during boarding. Needless to say this really keep people away from wanting to sit next to us. And with the flight not being a full we never had anybody sit next to us. We had the whole row to ourselves all the way to Chicago.

The flight to Chicago was uneventful. Daniel calmed down right before take off and we passed the time playing games and looking at the photos from our trip. It was nice not having anybody sitting next to us as it made it easy to get in and out of the seat to use the restroom or change diapers. The flight passed by quickly and before long we were landing in Chicago where we would have a nearly 2 hour layover. Hopefully it wouldn't be a repeat of the last time we were in Chicago.

If you havn't read my previous trip report then you don't know what happened in Chicago last year. To keep the story short do to major storms in the Midwest our flight not only got delayed leaving Charleston S.C. but then we got stuck in Chicago for over 4 hours. We finally arrived in SLC at 1:30am with me having to return to work at 6am. Needless to say that was a very stressful day of travel. I also didn't help that it was my Birthday that day as well. Needless to say though the Weather in Chicago was nice and sunny and no delays would end up happening.

Our flight last year wasn't the only one delayed as basically every flight in the Airport was delayed making the terminal Very packed and busy. So it was such a relief to exit the flight and find a terminal that wasn't busy at all. After using the Restrooms and with plenty of time to kill before our next flight we knew it was time to find some Dinner.

After looking around the food court and debating on our food options we eventually settled on a Sandwich shop called Potbelly Sandwich Works. Dispite having Earl of Sandwich for Lunch a Sandwich still sounded good compared to all the other greasy crap we had ate this week. As we entered the eatery we were also shocked to find that the prices were very reasonable for Airport food. And the sandwiches were big. Well worth the money. This was easily the best value compared to all the other places in the food court. Its a place I recommend checking out if your layed over in Chicago.

With our stomachs full we went back to the gate where we would board our connecting flight to go home. We killed some more time before our plane finally showed up. Once again we would be doing Family boarding as our tickets were in the mid B section. We again quickly found some seats and prepared for the flight as we saw those same Baby avoidence looks that we've got on all our other flights. However this time we did have a guy sit down next to us. That wouldn't last long though as shortly after he sat down Daniel started acting up again and was getting fussy as it was his feeding time. The guy next to us had no patience at all though as when Daniel started to fuss he stood up, took his stuff, and moved to another seat. We couldn't help but laugh. But hey it worked out in the end. Once again the flight wasn't full so we didn't have anybody sitting on the row with us. And Daniel calmed down once he could start eating right before take off.

As we took off and hit the sky we were offically on the last leg of our vacation. In 3 short hours we would be home. Our trip would be over and we would be back to our home life. It was actually really interesting flying in to our home airport while it was still daylight. On all of our previous vacations we have always returned home after it was already dark. It was very pretty to be able to see the Great Salt Lake during the day as we approched the Airport for our landing. It was also just as pretty seeing Downtown Salt Lake as we landed.

We had landed in Salt Lake. We were finally back in our home state. Daniel did great on the flight once again and we thought within the hour or so we would finally be home. We so looked forward to being able to sleep in our own bed. However a new problem came about. Kieras Mom was suppose to pick us up from the Airport. And She wasn't there yet.

Kiera finally got ahold of her to see what was up and she found out that her Mom hadn't even left there town yet. She was stuck in line at Wal-Mart. 35 minutes from the Airport. We couldn't be mad about it though as she was buying things for us for Daniels Baby Blessing that would be taking place at our Church the next morning. So we gathered our bags from the bag claim area and then found some seats to wait it out. We didn't have any other option anyways. Nearly an hour after landing in SLC Kieras Mom finally picked us up. It was dark now so that was familiar to the other times we've been picked up lol.

We loaded our bags and away we went. After stopping at Kieras parents to pick up my car we switched the bags and then continued on to our house. We were finally home. It felt so nice. The Vacation was officially over now. Life would start again tomorrow. It was sad to think about going back to work but looking back at the incredible vacation we had it should make it that much easier. Now when could I start planning our next Vacation.

And thats all he wrote. Thanks again everyone who has stuck this out and followed me since I started. Its been fun sharing our adventure with you and I look forward to some of your guy's trips. The trip report might be done but I still have some bonus content that i'm gonna share. And I should have that posted a little sooner then this past update lol. Thanks again.

February 2008: Carnival Pride Mexican Rivera Cruise - Hollywood - Santa Monica | December 2008: Disneyland - California Adventure - Universal Studios Hollywood - Knotts Berry Farm - Las Vegas | October 2009: Universal Studios Florida - Islands of Adventure - Carnival Glory Eastern Caribbean Cruise | October 2010: Islands of Adventure - Universal Studios Florida - Carnival Legend Western Caribbean Cruise | April 2011: Epcot - Carnival Dream Western Caribbean Cruise - Charleston S.C. | April 2012: Magic Kingdom - Epcot - Hollywood Studios - Animal Kingdom - Islands of Adventure - Universal Studios Florida | December 2012: Disneyland - Disney California Adventure - Universal Studios Hollywood | May 2013: Myrtle Beach S.C. - Charleston S.C. | September 2013: Universal Studios Florida - Islands of Adventure - Carnival Dream Eastern Caribbean Cruise | June 2014: Magic Kingdom - Epcot - Hollywood Studios - Animal Kingdom - Universal Studios Florida - Islands of Adventure
Old 08-20-2012, 10:55 AM   #139
khertz
Proud member of the WHO DAT NATION!!

I'm glad to see you had a mostly uneventful trip home. That's always a nice way to cap off a trip!!

We tried Potbelly for the first time when we were staying near Washington DC, and I LOVED the sandwiches there! It was within walking distance to our resort, and I went back several times for sandwiches throughout the trip. Really good, and like you said, a nice alternative to the crap we usually end up eating on vacation.
JULY 1994 // Offsite & Universal Studios & Busch Gardens | APRIL 1998 // All Star Music & Universal Studios |FEBRUARY 2001 // All Star Music & Universal | MARCH 2003 // All Star Music & Universal // Hard Rock Hotel | FEBRUARY 2004 // All Star Music & Universal // Royal Pacific & Sea World | OCTOBER 2007 (Disneymoon!) // Port Orleans French Quarter & Universal Studios // Royal Pacific | DECEMBER 2009 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/ TR | JULY/AUGUST 2010 // Wyndham Cypress Palms TR | NOVEMBER 2011 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | MAY 2012 // Disneyland // Wyndham Dolphin's Cove TR | AUGUST 2012 // Disneyland 5 Year Anniversary Trip // Peacock Suites TR | OCTOBER 2012 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | OCTOBER 2013 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek & Universal // Royal Pacific PTR/TR | MAY 2014 // Wilderness Lodge TR | SEPTEMBER 2014 // ABD DIS Exclusive Viva Italia & Disneyland Paris Show No Fear! DIS Exclusive Viva Italia + DLP Sept 2014 | MARCH 2015 // Disneyland // Wyndham Dolphin's Cove | OCTOBER 2015 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek & Universal | FEBRUARY 2016 // ??
Old 09-09-2012, 02:49 PM   #140
Teknik_DC2
DIS Veteran

Bonus Content #1: Past Trip Readings

The first Bonus chapter is simply just links and photos to our past vacations. I don't know how many people enjoyed reading this review and would possibly want to read more so I figured I would share. We've done alot of amazing trips so far and been to some great places. I gotta say though no matter how much we love Disney we are really looking forward to the day where we get to cruise again. Between all the Trip Reports linked below (and this one) as a whole they consist of over 6,500 photos. Anyways Enjoy.

Our first vacation together was of course our Honeymoon which took place in February 2008 and took place aboard the Carnival Pide where we sailed the Mexican Riveara.

On the trip we visited the ports of Puerta Vallerta

Mazatlane

And Cabo San Lucas

We also spent a day in Hollywood

Click Here to Read Trip Report

Our next vacation was 9 months later when we ventured to Southern California to the Theme Parks there. I had never been to Disney's California Adventure and with the parks makeover quickly coming I wanted to see the park in as much of its original condition as I could. And with money from the Economy Stimulus we made this trip a reality in December 2008.

We visted on this trip Disneyland

Disney's California Adventure

Universal Studios Hollywood

And Knott's Berry Farm

Having bought a house and recieveing the First time Home buyers Tax Credit we had the urge to cruise again. This time The Eastern Caribbean aboard the Carnival Glory in October 2009. Since we would be flying in to Orlando we figured we might as well add a few extra days to the trip and visit some parks as well.

So we went to Universal Studios Florida

And Islands of Adventure

Before boarding the Carnival Glory

And visited the ports of Nassau

St Thomas

And St. Maarten

Our next trip was just a quick trip to Las Vegas for a few days over the Memorial Day weekend in May 2010.

In October 2010 we would once again find ourselves Cruising out of Florida. This time out of Tampa aboard the Carnival Legend to the Western Caribbean. We would be doing this vacation to celebrate our friends 5th wedding Anniversary and once again we added a few days to go to the Univesal Orlando resort.

Our Primary reasoning was the newly opened Wizarding World of Harry Potter.

Plus the rest of Islands of Adventure

And Universal Studios Florida too

Then boarded the Carnival Legend

And visted the ports of the Grand Cayman

And Ocho Rios Jamaica

Our most recent trip in April 2011 took us back the orlando to start our biggest vacation yet with another Western Caribbean Cruise aboard the Carnival Dream and our final one with just my wife and I as we found out 3 months prior to this vacation that my wife Kiera was pregnant with our first child.

This trip started with a day at Epcot

Old 09-09-2012, 02:51 PM   #141
Teknik_DC2
DIS Veteran

Then sailed on the Carnival Dream

To Cozumel

Belize

Isle Roatan

and Costa Maya

Then to my parents house in Charleston S.C.

Old 12-18-2012, 02:27 AM   #142
Teknik_DC2
DIS Veteran

For those that were following this Trip Report and interested in reading Part 2 of our Year at Disney you can at the following link. We just got back from the West Coast portion of our plan with a visit to the Disneyland Resort and Universal Studios Hollywood Completing our Goal to visit all the US Disney and Universal Parks within the same Calender Year. I hope to see some of you continue to follow along. Thank you.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3034271

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: