Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2012, 11:16 AM   #1
mindy20
Mouseketeer

Minor Authorization Form

My husband's 5 year old son is going on a Dream Cruise with us. I want to be as safe as possible do we need to fill out the minor authorization form ?
Old 04-30-2012, 11:22 AM   #2
reimero
DIS Veteran

My guess is it depends on circumstances. If your husband has sole legal custody, then no. If he has joint custody or is a noncustodial parent, then yes.
reimero is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-30-2012, 11:36 AM   #3
kcashner
DIS Veteran

The minor authorization form is used when you travel with a child who is not your child. Provided that your husband is going on the cruise, you do not need this form (you would need it if you took him without the dad or mom). Custody doesn't matter. As long as one parent is cruising, no form REQUIRED.

That said, any time one parent takes a child out of the country without the other parent is is a good idea to have a certified letter granting permission. Odds are that no one will ever look at the letter, but if there were questions asked, it is a "best practice." FWIW, we never had a question on leaving--the questions were asked occasionally on returning to the US (Customs agents sometimes questioned DD). That made NO sense to me if they were worried about abduction.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 05:37 PM   #4
coloradodumbo
Mouseketeer

Question

I also have questions about all paperwork needed for taking kids out of the country. In January I will be taking my two cousins on the Fantasy, I know I need the minor authorization form for them. They live with their mom, I am not sure she has sole custody of them, but they do refuse to see their dad. Do we still need their dads' signature on the form? Also are there any other forms that we will need to get signed? Does Custom and Border Patrol have any forms that have been needed in the past?
coloradodumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:40 AM   #5
reimero
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by coloradodumbo View Post
I also have questions about all paperwork needed for taking kids out of the country. In January I will be taking my two cousins on the Fantasy, I know I need the minor authorization form for them. They live with their mom, I am not sure she has sole custody of them, but they do refuse to see their dad. Do we still need their dads' signature on the form? Also are there any other forms that we will need to get signed? Does Custom and Border Patrol have any forms that have been needed in the past?
I can't say for sure, but I do know that for them to get passports, except in rare circumstances, both parents MUST be present and sign the paperwork. My hunch is that both parents would need to sign any other paperwork. Unfortunately, the Department of State isn't exactly clear on this. But you've got enough time to sort all this out; I wouldn't leave anything to chance.
reimero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:46 AM   #6
Tracykim
DIS Veteran

We will be taking my DD15 BFF on our cruises. I thought I have read that this form no longer needs to be notarized. Is this true?

Also, we will be sailing on a B2B, will I need two of these forms or will one be OK?

Thanks for your info!!
Old 05-08-2012, 11:06 PM   #7
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by reimero View Post
I can't say for sure, but I do know that for them to get passports, except in rare circumstances, both parents MUST be present and sign the paperwork. My hunch is that both parents would need to sign any other paperwork. Unfortunately, the Department of State isn't exactly clear on this. But you've got enough time to sort all this out; I wouldn't leave anything to chance.
I'm not sure it's just in rare circumstances. They have a whole list on the passport website that reads like a list of "this, if not this then that, if not that then this other option, if not that option then etc etc", specifically for those who don't have one parent easily available to different extents.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 01:54 AM   #8
danfromca
Earned his ears, now wants yours
Slept with 500 or so passports
Stumbling will probably be my primary mode of transportation by then

Quote:
Originally Posted by coloradodumbo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by reimero View Post
For what it's worth, I've done a couple of cruises with teen groups (in which none of them were even remotely related to me). Couldn't be easier. All DCL wanted was their minor authorization form with at least one parent signature. Now they don't even need it notarized. Hand it in at check-in, the make sure the name matches, and that's all there is to it.

There may be other issues for specific destinations - but for the caribbean/Mexico cruises, there was no problem at all.
danfromca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 11:24 PM   #9
KYDIZFAN
Mouseketeer

Take my niece and nephnew all the time just need the form doesn't need to be notarized
Old 05-10-2012, 01:09 AM   #10
PizzieDuster
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracykim View Post
We will be taking my DD15 BFF on our cruises. I thought I have read that this form no longer needs to be notarized. Is this true?

Also, we will be sailing on a B2B, will I need two of these forms or will one be OK?

Thanks for your info!!
This is true, no notarization needed. There is a minor form in the documents you will receive prior to the cruise. We took my nephew and his dad signed the form....no problems. Just be sure you have a certified birth certificate.

When going through customs, the agent did take his time questioning my DD13 (it was just she and I). I mean, he asked if I was her mom. Where is her dad. "Waiting outside." And then looked slowly over the docs. Then again, we have different last names, I kept my first husband's last name until my two son's moved onto college. I just changed it. Have to get a new passport now I had my hubby sign the minor form just in case. It stays in the booklet. No one asked for it but we had just cruised a year before..used the same pictures last year attached to our new KTTW cards.

Never hurts to just have it signed and filled out anyway.
Royal Carribean - Explorer of the Seas 4/16/06
Royal Carribean - Freedom of the Seas 4/8/07
Returning to the Magic - 6/29/08 - West Coast
Liberty of the Seas - 4/09
Disney Wonder Mother/DD12 Cruise to Nowhere 1/21/11
Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera 1/29/12 Mother/DD13 Cruise (taking Grandma and Nephew DN5 along)
Disney Wonder - 1/24/14 5 Night Wonder {gift}
Disney Fantasy - 3/29/14 Western

Last edited by PizzieDuster; 05-10-2012 at 01:15 AM.
PizzieDuster is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: