Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2012, 03:48 PM   #1
goofy!
You have to ride a roller coaster now, nah-ne-nah-ne-boo-boo!
It has been two weeks now and my toes are only a bit chipped

**** 2012 - 2013 Cheer Parent (and cheerleader) Thread ****

This is the beginning of a new season for all our cheer princesses and princes!!! This will also be the SIXTH season for this thread ...........there are many of us from school cheer, rec cheer, allstar cheer and some college cheer that support one another.

Come one, come all.....join in on the fun........share your cheer parent stories and your children's successes.

May each and every one of you have a happy, healthy and successful 2011-2012 Cheer Season..........
goofy! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 03:54 PM   #2
goofy!

We had our evaluations last week and everybody is in their practice groups. Practices start May 7 and teams are announced the first part of June.

This last season went by so quickly, but am excited to see what the new season brings.

And congrats to our amazing kids for placing 6th today at Worlds!!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-29-2012, 06:38 PM   #3
Jen414
Mouseketeer

We still have one more competition next weekend--US Finals in Providence and then we have 3 weeks of "fun" practices before evaluations for next year. It will be interesting to see what teams we end up with. We're a rather small gym; hopefully, we'll get some new girls (and boys!!!). My girls really want to be on a higher level. They were on a super-successful Youth 1 team this and they learned a lot, but they're definitely ready for a level 2 or maybe 3. They both have their standing tucks and are working on layouts. I hope they do well at US Finals on Saturday. They've had to change the routine around due to one girl not being able to come, and they only practiced once last week and once the week before due to the level 5 team going to Worlds and the gym being closed for part of April vacation. I don't think they've run the revamped routine even once yet!!!
CSR July 2007
OKW August 2008
CBR August 2009
POR August 2010
CSR August 2011
POR August 2013
Jen414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:23 AM   #4
mommystieg
Now understands that the old stupid question is the one you don't ask! :)
When I set the alarm it has to end in "0"--6:30 cannot be 6:31

We are in our final week of tryouts with team placements announced this Friday. I am really excited about the 2012-2013 season but also very sad. DD#1 is 19 so she is too old to cheer at her current skill level and it really hurts to see her missing something she loves so much. She does help coach at the gym and I am encouraging her to continue to work on her tumbling. DD#3 is only 7 so she is just getting started. She worked really hard last season and I am looking forward to seeing how far she can go this season!

This will be our gym's 5th full season - each year the owners/coaches have built on the lessons learned from the previous season so there are lots of changes on the way. They hired a new choreographer, added another coach and hired a coach to work with the flyers. Some of our more negative parents and athletes left the program at the end of the 2011-2012 season - hopefully they will find a program where they are happier.
Old 04-30-2012, 02:30 PM   #5
pirategirl34
Mouseketeer

This year will Be DD8's first full season of allstar cheer. She cheered half season this year and she LOVED it so she is trying out for full season this year. Tryout clincs are today and Wednesday, evals are Fri. We will get emails on Sun night with our teams and practice starts Monday! She makes the age cutoff for mini by 6 weeks and is just getting her backwalkover so I am guessing she will be on mini 1.
pirategirl34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 01:39 PM   #6
lillygator

Mom of two Princesses!
Grew up wanting to be a can can girl
let's just say my whoop whoop's woke the sleeping giant!

This will be my daughter's first year of full year all star cheer. They did a half year last season. They are 7 and 9. Evals are going on all month of May and May 31st teams will be posted. My eldest is on all star softball thru this weekend though, so she hasn't been able to attend the evals yet. Looking forward to a fun year! Will be interesting to see where they end up...
Hide the rum, the 2007 Bad Girl Adventures have begun!
'04 ~ Pop, AKL, ASMo, WL & Wonder Cruise!
'05 ~ ASMo, CBR, CSR, ASMu, Pop, Poly & Eastern Cruise!
'06 ~ POR, ASSports, ASMusic x 2, AKL, BWI, POP & Double Dip Cruise!
'07 ~ CBR, ASMo, BCV x 2, OKW, Orlando Breeze, POP!!
'08 ~ Offsite Knight's Inn YUCK! ~ Stealing the Magic ~ May Repo! Candy Cane Inn!
'09 ~ May DCL Western~Key Lime Pirates!
lillygator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 02:36 PM   #7
woodkins
DIS Veteran

We just finished our last comp this past weekend in Hershey (and won our div & grand champs, so at least a great ending).
DD is 9 and competed on a Sr 3 Coed team this year. She was mainly the tumbler because she is not a flyer & too small to base. She was the youngest on the team by at least 2 years.

We are more then likely going to do a year of rec allstar this coming season. Our current "gym" is still renting floor time at a gymnastics studio & will only have a Sr 3 & 4 team & DD doesn't want to continue only being a tumbler, she wants the full experience. On the rec allstar team she will have fun on the youth 2 team and then be the tumbler & part time flyer on the Sr 4 team. She has a standing tuck, whip, layout & full so she is more then capable of competing at the level, but I want her to be able to enjoy the social aspect of being on a team which can't happen when a 9 year old is on a team with primarily 15 & 16 year olds.

There are only 3 allstar gyms in our area including our current "gym", so my choices are limited, one does not field high level teams & I cannot bring myself to pay $5000+ dollars to be on a mediocre level team. I'll let her have a year of fun & then make a new decision later.

7/14 BC, 4/14 ASSP, 10/13 POLY, 8/13 WL, 4/13 WORLDS @ASMu, 11/12 Aulani 9/12 AKL, 7/12 BC, 10/11 POLY, 9/10 POLY, 12/09 POP, 9/09 GF, 2/09 POFQ, 12/08 POLY, 5/08 POLY, 12/07 POLY, 5/07 ASSp, 12/07 CB, 9/07 AKL, 12/06 ASMo, 9/06 WL,
woodkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 08:41 AM   #8
goofy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodkins View Post
We just finished our last comp this past weekend in Hershey (and won our div & grand champs, so at least a great ending).
DD is 9 and competed on a Sr 3 Coed team this year. She was mainly the tumbler because she is not a flyer & too small to base. She was the youngest on the team by at least 2 years.

We are more then likely going to do a year of rec allstar this coming season. Our current "gym" is still renting floor time at a gymnastics studio & will only have a Sr 3 & 4 team & DD doesn't want to continue only being a tumbler, she wants the full experience. On the rec allstar team she will have fun on the youth 2 team and then be the tumbler & part time flyer on the Sr 4 team. She has a standing tuck, whip, layout & full so she is more then capable of competing at the level, but I want her to be able to enjoy the social aspect of being on a team which can't happen when a 9 year old is on a team with primarily 15 & 16 year olds.

There are only 3 allstar gyms in our area including our current "gym", so my choices are limited, one does not field high level teams & I cannot bring myself to pay $5000+ dollars to be on a mediocre level team. I'll let her have a year of fun & then make a new decision later.
Sounds like fun! I fully understand the social aspect. I think my daughter goes more for the social than the actual cheer

Will she be 10 by August? Because with the new rules for this season, the bottom age for her S4 team is 10 years old. From what I understand, for the smaller gyms, this new rule has really hurt them in putting together their senior teams. And it stinks for 9 year olds like your daughter who have the skills, but not the age (if she isn't 10 by the age cutoff date.)

Last edited by goofy!; 05-16-2012 at 09:10 AM.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:49 AM   #9
mommystieg
Now understands that the old stupid question is the one you don't ask! :)
When I set the alarm it has to end in "0"--6:30 cannot be 6:31

Evaluations are over and practice for the new season has started DD#3 is on our Youth 2 team again. The coaches really wanted her to fly on our Senior 2 team but she is only 7 and the new age limit really messed up their plans. We are a fairly small gym (about 85 athletes) and the new rule has hurt our Senior 2 team since we don't have a lot of Level 2 flyers who will be 10 before August 31st. It has also impacted our Youth 2 team as there are two flyers too many right now so the girls are competing against each other for the primary flyer spots. Don't get me wrong, I think a little competition is healthy and encourages the kids to work hard - it's just so nerve-wrackingfor me.
Old 05-16-2012, 02:49 PM   #10
woodkins
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy! View Post
Sounds like fun! I fully understand the social aspect. I think my daughter goes more for the social than the actual cheer

Will she be 10 by August? Because with the new rules for this season, the bottom age for her S4 team is 10 years old. From what I understand, for the smaller gyms, this new rule has really hurt them in putting together their senior teams. And it stinks for 9 year olds like your daughter who have the skills, but not the age (if she isn't 10 by the age cutoff date.)
She turns 10 on Aug 5th, so she is able to compete senior as it is there age as of Aug. 31st (we barely make it!). They have also raised the age on the IO Level 5 teams, which hurt her because a local allstar gym had asked her to be on their worlds team & she will be too young.

I will say I am looking forward to a less intense season being away from the allstar mama's and their pitting kids against each other.

7/14 BC, 4/14 ASSP, 10/13 POLY, 8/13 WL, 4/13 WORLDS @ASMu, 11/12 Aulani 9/12 AKL, 7/12 BC, 10/11 POLY, 9/10 POLY, 12/09 POP, 9/09 GF, 2/09 POFQ, 12/08 POLY, 5/08 POLY, 12/07 POLY, 5/07 ASSp, 12/07 CB, 9/07 AKL, 12/06 ASMo, 9/06 WL,
Old 05-21-2012, 08:27 AM   #11
Family Fun Mom
No longer tagless... my wit has been confirmed!
NOTHING FROM THE SEA!

Well, today my daughter takes that final step away from All Star Cheer and into the strange (to her) new world of High School Cheer. It's try-outs this week. Starts tonight! She is nervous and full of second thoughts. But she is determined to give this a try. All Star was her first love but she wants more freedom, less pressure, and to be a part of her school and community. The school team is still competitive but, as we all know, just very different. I'm crossing my fingers and wishing my baby luck! I hope she has fun and comes to find a sisterhood with her new teammates like the ones she had in her old gym (assuming she makes the cut, which I have no doubt she will).

Wish her luck!

*side note: she is actually hoping to make junior varsity instead of varsity so she can also be in marching band with no conflict. I think with her age (she will only be a sophmore) and the fact that no one on the school team knows what she is truly capable of, she just might. This coach has a history of putting freshmen and sophmores on JV for sideline but moving them up at competition time. We will see...
Family Fun Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 02:07 PM   #12
lillygator

Mom of two Princesses!
Grew up wanting to be a can can girl
let's just say my whoop whoop's woke the sleeping giant!

teams were announced last night, my girls made the youth team and my youngest is a dedicated flyer (a coveted position)....they start up on Monday!
Hide the rum, the 2007 Bad Girl Adventures have begun!
'04 ~ Pop, AKL, ASMo, WL & Wonder Cruise!
'05 ~ ASMo, CBR, CSR, ASMu, Pop, Poly & Eastern Cruise!
'06 ~ POR, ASSports, ASMusic x 2, AKL, BWI, POP & Double Dip Cruise!
'07 ~ CBR, ASMo, BCV x 2, OKW, Orlando Breeze, POP!!
'08 ~ Offsite Knight's Inn YUCK! ~ Stealing the Magic ~ May Repo! Candy Cane Inn!
'09 ~ May DCL Western~Key Lime Pirates!
lillygator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 02:25 PM   #13
maelstrom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Family Fun Mom View Post
Well, today my daughter takes that final step away from All Star Cheer and into the strange (to her) new world of High School Cheer. It's try-outs this week. Starts tonight! She is nervous and full of second thoughts. But she is determined to give this a try. All Star was her first love but she wants more freedom, less pressure, and to be a part of her school and community. The school team is still competitive but, as we all know, just very different. I'm crossing my fingers and wishing my baby luck! I hope she has fun and comes to find a sisterhood with her new teammates like the ones she had in her old gym (assuming she makes the cut, which I have no doubt she will).

Wish her luck!

*side note: she is actually hoping to make junior varsity instead of varsity so she can also be in marching band with no conflict. I think with her age (she will only be a sophmore) and the fact that no one on the school team knows what she is truly capable of, she just might. This coach has a history of putting freshmen and sophmores on JV for sideline but moving them up at competition time. We will see...
At my high school we had one girl on the varsity squad who was also in marching band... she marched in her cheerleading uniform.

Next Trip: May 2013 at Port Orleans French Quarter

Got Married! October 1, 2011 in Atlantic City!
maelstrom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 02:55 PM   #14
woodkins
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Family Fun Mom View Post

Wish her luck!

Good luck to your daughter! I hope she makes the team she is hoping for. HS cheer is definitely a different world, but fun in a different way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillygator View Post
teams were announced last night, my girls made the youth team and my youngest is a dedicated flyer (a coveted position)....they start up on Monday!
Woo Hoo!! Glad she got her flying spot!

My daughter has started the rec allstar program and is really enjoying it. She is currently on the Y2 & Sr4 team and was just asked to fly on Jr3....I'm thinking that will be a no LOL 3 teams is at least one too many!

Old 05-30-2012, 03:39 PM   #15
Family Fun Mom
No longer tagless... my wit has been confirmed!
NOTHING FROM THE SEA!

My daughter ended up making JV because she doesn't have a walkover. A walkover! LOL When she started All Star she went to a small gym with only a level 3 team so they skipped the walkovers and went straight to teaching her handsprings. When we went to the new gym she was put on a junior level 2 then quickly moved to senior level 3 and they never needed a walkover from her for either team, so she never learned how to do one. The school team requires it for Varsity. Oh, well. It works out because now she can cheer for her friends on JV sports and march at the Varsity games on Friday nights. Best of both worlds!

The Varsity coach pulled her aside after try outs and told her if she gets her walkover (which she actually almost has already) she has a spot for her on Varisty for the competition season.

I did not expect such a rigorous schedule for school cheer. They start in 2 weeks with 4 days a week of practice and one dedicated day of gymnastics. That's 5 days a week of cheer ALL SUMMER! That's more than her All Star team did and they were National Champion winning teams! The beauty of school cheer is the cost. The entire season is less than one month at our old gym. I felt giddy when I saw the amount. I don't even know what to do with all that extra money... I'm thinking a Disney vacation, maybe???
Family Fun Mom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: