Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2012, 12:40 AM   #1
redbonec
Mouseketeer

how hot is HOT?

I have read that summer at DL is so HOT, but I when I look at temperatures, I see 80's. I also read that evenings can be cool.
Which would be a lovely mild summer day here where we live in Texas. Last couple summers most days were in the 100's.

We are going to DL in 6 weeks, in early June, is weather typically 80's at that time, and does it still cool down in the evenings?
redbonec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:58 AM   #2
skiingfast
Has had no bacon
Skiing fast to chocolate
But, will he succeed?

It's rather nice in June, although the mornings can be cool until the fog burns off.

Look at the charts in this thread. I wouldn't worry about it being hot.
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=23004158
skiingfast is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-29-2012, 01:06 AM   #3
Malcon10t
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbonec View Post
I have read that summer at DL is so HOT, but I when I look at temperatures, I see 80's. I also read that evenings can be cool.
Which would be a lovely mild summer day here where we live in Texas. Last couple summers most days were in the 100's.
Temperatures can be tricky. If you are from a cooler area, the 80s can seem hot. But when you're coming from the lower region with higher temps, it is cool. The interesting thing, coming from Northern CA, it is usually 10 degrees cooler than here. So, even I prefer it. But friends from Washington usually complain about the heat.
Malcon10t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 01:10 AM   #4
PigletSeeker
Mouseketeer

Being from Texas, you will find it very pleasant. I live in Vegas (and grew up in Louisiana), so 80's in the summer at DL are heavenly! The high isn't usually reached until mid-afternoon. So days that are in the 80's, are really only that hot from about 2-5. We're always a bit chilled in the mornings and evenings.
PigletSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 02:05 AM   #5
xXtowerOFterrorXx
Mouseketeer

I live in Tucson AZ and we've already had 98+ temps in early April. So going to DLR when its 80 it will be nice!
Old 04-29-2012, 02:43 AM   #6
sasywtch
DIS Veteran

Quote:

We are going to DL in 6 weeks, in early June, is weather typically 80's at that time, and does it still cool down in the evenings?
I lived in OKC for 7 years which has similar weather as TX. CA 100 degrees is not the same as TX 100 degrees. The humidity is not there in CA. In the summer, we usually wear shorts to DL with a sweatshirt over a top in the morning, tie the sweatshirt around our waist during the day and then put the sweatshirt back on in the evening.
sasywtch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 03:19 AM   #7
Lights_Out
"Disneyland is not a museum."

I'm an OC native and I think it can get pretty hot here (I'm a winter person). There definitely is humidity in the OC compared to the deserts. I like to explain it this way: if you're a summer person and enjoy the sun and heat then SoCal summer can't be beat, but if you're a winter person then it'll be uncomfortable, but bearable. Of course there are exceptions to this since it's not uncommon for the heat to reach like 98-100 degrees which would be absolutely unbearable, humid or not humid.
Old 04-29-2012, 03:41 AM   #8
sheetz
DIS Veteran

Even when it's 100 degrees SoCal heat is nowhere near as bad as in TX. To put things into perspective lots of people also complain about the cold when it hits 40 degrees.
sheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 08:30 AM   #9
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

I was there one time at the end of April and a couple of days were around 100. Later in the week the high was 70. I was there last August and it was 80's all week. So it can really vary. It's not like Florida where it's pretty much guaranteed to be hot in the summer.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:46 AM   #10
HydroGuy
The code is more what you'd call guidelines than actual rules
Inquiring fairy minds want to know: Does Hydroguy like World of Color?

Quote:

Others put it well when they said that each person's definition of "hot" varies.

For me personally, with high temps in the low 80's and night temps (which do cool down) in the 60's, with little humidity and almost no rain ever in the summer, that is as close to ideal weather as one can get.

With that said, if you are outside mid-day and it is 85 out and you are in the sun (standing in line for something) that can feel uncomfortable. We try to get back to the hotel during mid-day to cool off and rest.

It is also worth knowing some good places to go at the parks during mid-day heat. I like the Tiki Room and Eo at DL and Animation Studios and ITTBAB at DCA. Always short lines.

POTC is a long ride (16 minutes) and the lines are usually not bad - it is a nice ride to do when it is warm out. So is HM. And of course you always have Splash Mtn and GRR to get wet and cool off.
DLR 11/2014, JC Blog & WOCWD Blog (Tropicana), 07/2014 (DLH), 11/2013 (Day Trip), 8/2013 GCH (CCI for D23 Expo), 10/2012 CCI, 07/2012 GCH, 08/2011 CCI (D23 Expo), 06/2011 GCH, 09/2010 BWPPI, 07/2010 GCH, 08/2009 (Day Trip), 05/2009 Doubletree Anaheim/OC, 11/2007 (Day Trip), 06/2007 BWPPI, 08/2006 (Day Trip), 11/2005 BWPPI, 08/2005 BWPPI, 07/2003 HoJo's, 07/2000 PPH, 1966-1998 Numerous Day Trips Including... 06/1981 (Grad Night)
WDW 05/2013 Swan, 02/2012 CBR, 03/2011 Dolphin, 05/2008 AKL, 06/2006 FW Cabins
DLR Paris 06/2007 - Newport Bay/Santa Fe/Holiday Inn (solo) - see my Trip Observations
Tokyo Disney Resort 11/2009 - SunRoute Plaza (with DS13) - see my Trip Report (with photos)
HydroGuy DLR Tips Compilation, DLR Abbreviations List, World of Color Superthread
HydroGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 09:27 AM   #11
disneydreamer74
DIS Veteran

I am used to the hot weather temps too. We love DLR in the summer. When it hits high 80's and you are in the direct sun for hours it can seem hot! The trick is to find places to cool down ( as Hydroguy suggested) drink plenty of cold water ( we bring bottled water in an ice-packed cooler with us) and take breaks in the middle of the day. We swear by MistyMates. We can fit them right in our pockets, while we stand in lines we mist ourselves and it feels like Heaven ! People in line always ask me to mist them! If you go prepared you will really enjoy your trip! Also, the summer nights at DLR are SOOO nice! It's my favorite time to be in the parks. You may want to bring a light sweater for any young ones, but typically we don't need one! Enjoy!
1997-WDW-POR,1998-WDW -offsite,DLR-Aug. 2008-DLH,DLR-July 2009-Hyatt Regency,DLR-Aug.2010-Holiday inn Anaheim-Bella's 4th bday , July 2011-Hotel Menage/FFI, Jan '12- FFI, July '12- FFI, Hojo's/ PPH-June '13. Next trip...Jan. '14- FFI
My family:me-SuperMom and Travel Agent Extraordinairre, 40 DH, 35 our princess DD 7 yrs old
disneydreamer74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 10:35 AM   #12
starshine514
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXtowerOFterrorXx View Post
I live in Tucson AZ and we've already had 98+ temps in early April. So going to DLR when its 80 it will be nice!
Fellow Tucsonan here! xXtowerOFterrorXx is right, we've already reached the century mark this year. We went last August. We still used sweatshirts some in the evenings, the days did get warm, but it was great being able to get drenched on GRR and not mind a bit!

Disneyland doesn't get near as hot as Texas in the summer, and feels so much better than WDW then as well.
Disneyland Trips -1983, 1986, May 2011 - Desert Inn & Suites, August 2011 - Super 8 on Katella, November 2011 - Desert Inn & Suites, December 2011 - Quality Inn on Manchester, January 2012 - Desert Inn & Suites, March 2012 - Desert Inn & Suites, May 2012 - Del Sol Inn, September 2012 - Del Sol Inn, November 2012 - Del Sol Inn, January 2013 - Ramada Maingate, February 2013 - Quality Inn on Manchester, April 2013 - Del Sol Inn, May 2013 - Hojo, August 2013 - Del Sol Inn, September 2013 - Desert Inn & Suites, November 2013 (one day trip!) - Welk Resort San Diego, September 2014 - Halloween Party! - Welk Resort San Diego
Disney World Trips - July 1988, January 2010 - Sheraton Vistana Resort, November 2010 (work trip - no family along) - Coronado Springs Resort

starshine514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 10:56 AM   #13
niklynn1
Mouseketeer

We're going to DLR at a similar time to the OP. I am still having trouble figuring out how to pack.

For WDW in June, we pack nothing but shorts and t-shirts. NEVER even considered needing jeans or sweatshirts.

For DLR in June, I'm thinking we may need the whole gamut, from shorts, to capris, to jeans and sweatshirts. This really throws a wrench in being able to pack light.

Still not sure what to do....
New Year's Eve Cruise on the Wonder- December 2010
The Disneyland Hotel - May/June 2012

Me DD19 DS16
niklynn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 11:10 AM   #14
msheriffm
Mouseketeer

Unless there happens to be a heatwave it will not be hot. In fact, bring pants and jackets for the evenings. We have been to DL several times in late May early June and the weather was fine. I am from SF Bay Area so am used to cool mornings and evenings. I think you will find the weather much more enjoyable than in Texas. Remember take clothes for the cool evenings, it could be in the 50's. Our family from the south never listen and always have to buy sweatshirts.
msheriffm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 11:15 AM   #15
msheriffm
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by niklynn1 View Post
We're going to DLR at a similar time to the OP. I am still having trouble figuring out how to pack.

For WDW in June, we pack nothing but shorts and t-shirts. NEVER even considered needing jeans or sweatshirts.

For DLR in June, I'm thinking we may need the whole gamut, from shorts, to capris, to jeans and sweatshirts. This really throws a wrench in being able to pack light.

Still not sure what to do....
Pack exactly like you said. Layering clothing is the best way to handle California weather. Start the day with warmer clothes then rent a locker to hold what you don't need throughout the day and you will need it again once the sun goes down. You can go in and out of the lockers as often as you want. It is dangerous to try and pack to light when coming to California because our weather varies so much.
msheriffm is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: