Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Which name is your favourite?
Robert 20 23.26%
Peter 15 17.44%
Roderick (Rory) 28 32.56%
Ewan 23 26.74%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-02-2012, 10:52 PM   #91
jennyjinx3
DIS Veteran

I am sending a whole boat load of extra pixie dust that you find the camera!!!

We were up to Algonquin in June....loved it except the day it rained all day!
Old 08-03-2012, 01:59 AM   #92
WDWCPALUM03
Mouseketeer

I hope you have found the camera!

I'm so sorry about your mother. I talk to my mom every day, just the other day she made a comment that rubbed me the wrong way and I thought maybe I would scale back our conversations. Tonight after reading your ptr there is no way I can. I agree with you that we should always let our moms know we love them.

Posted from DISboards.com App for Android

10/2011 Pop Century The Trip we dicovered Julia's Obsession with Stitch!
11/2012 POP 11 Days of Disney Fun MNSSHP & MVMCP!

4/2013 11 Days of Flower & Garden!
WDWCPALUM03 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-10-2012, 09:41 AM   #93
emmysmommy
DIS Veteran

Hi there Alysa. Your TRON movie and fun night sounds wonderful! You are so creative. You have a beautiful "lassie" dog!!
emmysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 02:15 PM   #94
Alysa
DIS Veteran

Hey! It's been some crazy days lately and there is so much to tell you about our trip! We are now 362 days away! That's right kids! Less than a year!
So first thing is we are moving! We switched figure skating rinks for my daughter and the rush-hour drive with a new baby was probably going to kill me so we decided to move. Bad news is, not having rented before, we didn't know you needed to give 60 days notice (we thought it was 14 days because most people are in furnished places here in our building and that is what it is for those) so we will have two rents to pay for an extra 2 months! Ugh!
Also, my husband has been getting a lot of letters of interest for positions at lots of universities saying they think he is brilliant but no follow-ups for interviews yet. I know it take a long time and that I have to be patient but... I am so not a patient person!
I've got great new rooms planned out for the kids, even though we will (hopefully) only be in this place for a year, including an adorable Harry Potter room for my son. I'll be able to post photos soon, we are going to go in on the 27th to start painting.
Oh! And my dad said he'd like to join the trip! He's been pretty lonely and sad so I want to make it work. It will involve some juggling around but we already knew we would be reducing the amount of time we are all together at Vero as my brother in law does not want to let any of his kids in the ocean because of his fear of sharks. To me, the whole point of going to Vero is the ocean!
Plus, the good news is packing up some things already, we found the camera! So I've got lots of movie nights to share! I'll only do one at a time though to spare you! We are doing A Bug's Life tomorrow and I'm off now to get a few things for it.
Ack! the rental agent just called - someone is coming to see the house at 4 to hopefully rent it sooner than November! Got to go clean - the kids were making a fort in the living room!!!! I'll post a movie night when I get back. If you guys could say a prayer that my husband will find a great position soon, or that this place could get rented shortly, I would so appreciate it!!!!! We need all the help we can get.
Hugs! Alysa
78 & 85: Offsite w. parents, 00: New Years Eve at Port Orleans & Anniversary at BWV, 01: Star Wars Weekend at POR & Christmas at GF & BWV, 04: Baby's first trip AKL, 05: Spring at BCV; 06: Big Family Trip, BCV & Vero-WL homeless trip, 08: Minnie Marathon with my sister, Big family Not so scary halloween party, 10: Star Wars Weekend boys trip & Vero/WL summer holiday, Big Family Christmas, 11: Star Wars weekend, Summer road trip

Up next October 2013 with our new baby!
Alysa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 10:45 AM   #95
Alysa
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I am sending a whole boat load of extra pixie dust that you find the camera!!!
We were up to Algonquin in June....loved it except the day it rained all day!
Thanks Jenny! It worked!

Quote:
I hope you have found the camera!
I'm so sorry about your mother. I talk to my mom every day, just the other day she made a comment that rubbed me the wrong way and I thought maybe I would scale back our conversations. Tonight after reading your ptr there is no way I can. I agree with you that we should always let our moms know we love them.
Hi WDWCPALUM03, I did find it, thank you! And you know that your mum is supposed to drive you crazy. That's the way you can tell that she loves you!

Quote:
Hi there Alysa. Your TRON movie and fun night sounds wonderful! You are so creative. You have a beautiful "lassie" dog!!
Thank you Brenda! Knightley is very handsome but makes up for it with the large amounts of drool that come off of him when he drinks and slaps goober all over my kitchen.

So our house is now officially a disaster site! We go in to start painting tomorrow so I HAVE to finish packing today but I'm already taking a break because my back is already shot this morning. And guess what!? Great news!! Our rental lady found someone to rent this place starting on the 15th so we only have to pay for an extra half month! Woo hoo!

We did a movie night last night so I've got lots of pics to post - here is Lilo and Stitch from about a month ago...

Hawaiian roast pork recipe
My daughter and her best friend made the leis with construction paper flowers and leaves and cut up drinking straws as spacers. And we had a lovely fresh pineapple to go with everything.
78 & 85: Offsite w. parents, 00: New Years Eve at Port Orleans & Anniversary at BWV, 01: Star Wars Weekend at POR & Christmas at GF & BWV, 04: Baby's first trip AKL, 05: Spring at BCV; 06: Big Family Trip, BCV & Vero-WL homeless trip, 08: Minnie Marathon with my sister, Big family Not so scary halloween party, 10: Star Wars Weekend boys trip & Vero/WL summer holiday, Big Family Christmas, 11: Star Wars weekend, Summer road trip

Old 08-26-2012, 09:17 PM   #96
PoppyGirl
The kiddies come for the autographs but the mummies come for the captain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alysa View Post
It's been a heck of a year. My husband and I are the parents of two adorable kids, a nine year old girl and a six year old boy. We were not, not, NOT expecting an addition to our family. We had our life all planned out, my husband would be getting a new job as a cancer research scientist soon, hopefully with tenure. I would start back to work as a designer this fall once our son started grade one. We had booked a nice relaxing trip to Disney to try to recover from a very difficult and emotional time. My husband's mum just passed away from breast cancer at the beginning of the year and my mum is very sick with liver cancer. I was looking forward to doing the Twilight Zone Tower of Terror 10 mile marathon in my mum's name.
Then, life stepped in. It seems that someone had other plans for us.

At first I thought I was just late. I thought the stress of everything had upset things. Then I began to worry. I got a test. At first when I did it there was nothing. I heaved a HUGE sigh of relief. I was too old for a baby. I was almost 40! And then, "Wait a minute! What is THAT! Arg! It's turning into an X!"

So, my husband does not yet have his job confirmed. I'm nearly 40 so the baby has a much higher chance of genetic defects. I'll no longer be able to return to work as I had planned. We are already cramped in a tiny condo, waiting to move until we know for certain where we will end up. We are under a great deal of emotional stress. And yet, after a weekend of a lot of talking, prayers and tears, I felt like this could be, instead of something terrible, in fact, the complete opposite. It could be something wonderful. This could be the light at the end of a dreadful long tunnel. I feel now that this little person will be a blessing and a joy to all of us in a time of terrible sadness.

I couldn't cancel my trip to Disney outright. I knew I did not want to travel while pregnant as I had once had a miscarriage while flying. But with all this stress, I needed SOMETHING fun and happy and exciting to look forward to. And what could be better than a trip to introduce our new bundle of joy to the happiest place on earth. So we haven't booked it yet but we have planned to go next summer. 5 days at Vero Beach and 7 days at Wilderness Lodge. Our two most favourite places at Disney. In 480 days I will hopefully be holding the hands of a little one as he or she toddles down Mainstreet USA towards breakfast at the Crystal Palace with Pooh.

Thanks for stopping by, I hope you'll enjoy the ride. Sit back and find out with us as we discover: Is the baby healthy? Is it a boy or a girl? Where will my husband get his job and what city will we be moving to? What will the kids say when we tell them? What will our family say? Will 3 be the joy we hope and believe they will be? And most importantly, will the new baby love Disney just as much as we do? (Kidding!)
What a lovely way to start your PTR. I feel joyous just reading it! Congratulations! My youngest was born when I was 39. I was sick, sick, sick, SICK through my entire pregnancy. But when that beautiful little girl was born, my whole world changed.

I was so sorry to read on and find that your mother had passed away. I'm very sorry for your loss. And what a sweet thing that your dad now will be coming along on the trip!

Quote:
So I was searching for a small gift idea for my son for the room when we arrive and found this
star wars lego
which I know he would love. I also found this which is totally amazing but it's a little out of balance with his sister's gift.
death star

AND! While searching, I found these for the baby.
R2-D2
and this!
Stormy
(10 points if you get the reference) and this!
but red shirts are BAD
Just going to hold off on buying them a little while longer.
It's true, we are geeks. We love Star Wars, Firefly and Star Trek. I do love Jane Austen best but I have been adopted into my geek family quite nicely and I adore Doctor Who.
For the record, I totally got the stormageddon reference. One of my favorite episodes! That shirt makes me wish I could have another baby....oh wait...no...maybe just to adopt.
(POR) Jan 2007 (HoJo) June 2007 (CSR) Girlfriends Trip Jan 2008 (POP)/Wonder Cruise Mar 2009 (CSR) Mom/DS Trip June 2009 (DLH) Girlfriends' B-day Celebration Feb 2010 (DLH) DH B-day Celebration July 2010 (AKL) Christmas Miracle Trip December 2010 (Wyndham Bonnet Creek) Girls Only Mother Daughter February 2011 (POFQ) Mother Daughter February 2012 (AKL) Mother Daughter February 2013 (Grand Californian) Girls Days Out May 2013 (Yacht Club) Best Friends at Food & Wine October 2013

PoppyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:56 AM   #97
Alysa
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppyGirl View Post
What a lovely way to start your PTR. I feel joyous just reading it! Congratulations! My youngest was born when I was 39. I was sick, sick, sick, SICK through my entire pregnancy. But when that beautiful little girl was born, my whole world changed.

I was so sorry to read on and find that your mother had passed away. I'm very sorry for your loss. And what a sweet thing that your dad now will be coming along on the trip!

For the record, I totally got the stormageddon reference. One of my favorite episodes! That shirt makes me wish I could have another baby....oh wait...no...maybe just to adopt.
Thanks Poppy. I have been deadly sick too! I've been so ill throughout - I wasn't nearly this bad with my first two. Plus it's been a challenge not to get too stressed and blue this time around. It's nice to hear I am not the only one. Two months today!

I found this yesterday and thought I would have ordered it for her if she was still around. mom pillow It should be extra fun with dad!

10 points for Poppy! Don't have a new one - we can meet up at Disney and you can cuddle with Stormy!

Old 08-27-2012, 11:21 AM   #98
PoppyGirl

Quote:
Thanks Poppy. I have been deadly sick too! I've been so ill throughout - I wasn't nearly this bad with my first two. Plus it's been a challenge not to get too stressed and blue this time around. It's nice to hear I am not the only one. Two months today!

I found this yesterday and thought I would have ordered it for her if she was still around. mom pillow It should be extra fun with dad!

10 points for Poppy! Don't have a new one - we can meet up at Disney and you can cuddle with Stormy!
Perfect! I will hold off on the new baby (bwahahahaha) and wait for my dismeet with Stormy.
I really like the mom pillow. How sweet is that! Have you seen this? It might work for Stormy's room:

or what about this? (wow, this is fun! I haven't baby shopped in 9 years!)
(POR) Jan 2007 (HoJo) June 2007 (CSR) Girlfriends Trip Jan 2008 (POP)/Wonder Cruise Mar 2009 (CSR) Mom/DS Trip June 2009 (DLH) Girlfriends' B-day Celebration Feb 2010 (DLH) DH B-day Celebration July 2010 (AKL) Christmas Miracle Trip December 2010 (Wyndham Bonnet Creek) Girls Only Mother Daughter February 2011 (POFQ) Mother Daughter February 2012 (AKL) Mother Daughter February 2013 (Grand Californian) Girls Days Out May 2013 (Yacht Club) Best Friends at Food & Wine October 2013

Old 08-27-2012, 05:12 PM   #99
Tink-erin-belle
DIS Veteran

I absolutely adore your Tron cupcakes! I never would've thought of putting glow bracelets on them. I hope you don't mind, but I'm totally stealing that for when we watch Tron The leis were cool too! That's nice that your dad is coming along on the trip now That's too bad your BIL is afraid of sharks. Have there been reports of sharks being there? I mean, I agree with you, what's the fun of going to the beach and not getting in the ocean?
Tink-erin-belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:10 AM   #100
Alysa
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I absolutely adore your Tron cupcakes! I never would've thought of putting glow bracelets on them. I hope you don't mind, but I'm totally stealing that for when we watch Tron. The leis were cool too! That's nice that your dad is coming along on the trip now. That's too bad your BIL is afraid of sharks. Have there been reports of sharks being there? I mean, I agree with you, what's the fun of going to the beach and not getting in the ocean?
Thanks Erin! There actually was an attack this past summer of a German tourist in the water near the town of Vero, not at the resort. There is a public beach just up the way and you can see the warning flags the lifeguards put up so I'm not too worried. And apparently you are as likely to be hit by falling airplane parts as be attacked by sharks but he's just crazy that way.

So here is our Robin Hood night. We did it at my sister's and the kids made Robin Hood hats and played a game where they had to sneak up on the sleeping Sheriff of Nottingham (Grandad) and tap his bag of gold (chocolate) coins. If he heard them and woke up he pointed at them and they had to start again but if they got to his sack of gold he gave them one coin. Fun and laughs were had by all. Then for dessert we had chocolate bird's nests filled with wild forest berries (I didn't want to serve burnt stew). Very rich but yummy.

Old 08-28-2012, 07:37 AM   #101
PoppyGirl

Those chocolate bird's nests look yummy! And I'm loving the "Dr Pooh" shirt.

Old 08-28-2012, 08:49 AM   #102
RachVH
Mouseketeer

That game looks like fun! We've started our own little movie nights, but we have to do them much more frequently since we want to watch a bunch of movies before we leave in 38 days! Since my (always-the-engineer) DH has determined that we have to watch them in chronological order (by release date) last night we watched Snow White and Pinnochio is on deck tonight. It's going to be a while before I get to watch Lilo & Stitch!
RachVH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:44 AM   #103
Alysa
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Those chocolate bird's nests look yummy! And I'm loving the "Dr Pooh" shirt.
Thanks Poppy! Have you seen Asylum of the Daleks yet?

Quote:
That game looks like fun! We've started our own little movie nights, but we have to do them much more frequently since we want to watch a bunch of movies before we leave in 38 days! Since my (always-the-engineer) DH has determined that we have to watch them in chronological order (by release date) last night we watched Snow White and Pinnochio is on deck tonight. It's going to be a while before I get to watch Lilo & Stitch!
Hi Rach - I can't believe your Disneymoon is only a month away! I totally get the chronological order thing. I originally planned to do that but because we are doing a meal and craft for each I had to rearrange them a bit to suit the time of year, my budget and the crazy circumstances lately. It was tough letting go of my OCD!

Update: We are all moved in - and "mostly" settled.

This is my kids and niece and nephew - all special delivery!
The new skating rink is a disaster (ugh!) but kids are very happy in their new rooms and the teachers and principal at the school seem nice. I've got to go out and pick up lots of little things for the house like new towels, picture frames, rugs. Also must start getting furniture for Robert's room! 51 days left! Just need to paint first. Spending the day shopping and getting organized today.

Also had a very good meeting with Eveie's psychologist yesterday. Turns out she is gifted but with ADHA Inattentive (new term for what ADD used to be) and a learning disorder that means the info goes in weird but she is so clever she kind of figures it out anyway. So relieved. Her teacher last year seemed to think she wasn't very bright so it's nice to have this report for her new school. Turns out there is lots we can do to help her and we've already started with typing lessons last night. It made her feel a lot better to be able to tell her what is wrong and how we are going to help. It will be lots of work but there is nothing else more worthy of my effort.

Now for the fun stuff. Bug's Life movie night!

I went to Home Outfitters and got a little leaf bowl and filled it with berries and seeds and we had it beside the pool at my sisters. Then for the craft, we did a watercolour background and foreground and then punched the foreground out with a butterfly shaped punch. Then we folded the butterflies a bit and glued to the background. Daughter loved hers! The photo doesn't really do it justice, need to go and get a shadow box frame for it for her new room. And I must figure out what to do next. Probably finish up some crafts that are waiting for completion. And maybe Aristocats next?

Anyway, hope you all had a great first week back to school with the kids! Hugs!

Old 09-08-2012, 10:54 PM   #104
emmysmommy
DIS Veteran

Hi there Alyssa! You are getting close to your blessed little ones arrival! How exciting!

Wow! You moved!! Glad to know that you are "mostly" settled and can hopefully start to relax. Wait, what is that for a mom of little ones??

I must say again - I love your creativity! Your kids are very fortunate to have you provide such great crafts/games/activities/meals.

How wonderful that your old place was rented sooner than expected and you don't have to double pay for too long. It's cool how some things work out that way.... I hope you receive similar good news regarding a new position for your DH soon as well.

Take care!
emmysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:08 AM   #105
RachVH
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Hi Rach - I can't believe your Disneymoon is only a month away!
I know! We are starting to get really excited now, as it is only a little over three weeks away! I think the honeymoon snuck up on us even more than the wedding did!

Quote:
Also must start getting furniture for Robert's room! 51 days left! Just need to paint first. Spending the day shopping and getting organized today.
Oh my goodness you are getting close now! He is going to be here before you know it!

Quote:
Also had a very good meeting with Eveie's psychologist yesterday. Turns out she is gifted but with ADHA Inattentive (new term for what ADD used to be) and a learning disorder that means the info goes in weird but she is so clever she kind of figures it out anyway. So relieved. Her teacher last year seemed to think she wasn't very bright so it's nice to have this report for her new school. Turns out there is lots we can do to help her and we've already started with typing lessons last night. It made her feel a lot better to be able to tell her what is wrong and how we are going to help. It will be lots of work but there is nothing else more worthy of my effort.
I am so glad to hear about this. It's so disheartening to hear that teachers still think that kids that don't think exactly the same way as everyone else are automatically not as "bright" as everyone else. Here's hoping that Eveie's new teacher really "gets" her and she is able to thrive in a new environment.
RachVH is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: