Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2012, 10:19 AM   #1
94bruin
DIS Veteran

One parent/two kids - can I do this?

I am trying to squeeze in a visit sometime this summer. The days I have in mind, DH would be working. I've never been to DL with two kids (will be 7 & almost 3) on my own.

Do we skip all the rides with height requirements and just stick to rides that we that the three of us can do together? Is there any way to let her ride her favorite ride (BTRMM)? Not sure if I'd feel comfortable letting her go alone in the line? Not even sure if she'd want to go alone on the line, now that I'm typing this out.

Any advice?

Past DL visits: 1984, 1990-95 (numerous times), 11/01 (GCH), 9/09 (GCH), 5/10 (GCH), 12/11 (DLH) - as new AP holders!, 1/12 (offsite), 4/12 (Homewood Suites), 10/12 (PP-concierge), 11/13 (DLH) - with three other families/AP holders again!, 4/14 (DLH)
Past WDW visits: 1982, 1998

Next DL visit: July 2014 offsite/GCH
94bruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 10:27 AM   #2
Karenann*
Wishing upon a Star...

You can do it! All my years I have been 1 parent 5 kids...it does get easier tho! So much to do and see and enjoy with them all together. Then if you older one is feeling ok with BMTTR on her own, wait in line with her and exit as she goes on the ride. Then wait for her at the exit. Have fun!!!
Register to remove

Old 04-28-2012, 10:38 AM   #3
Malcon10t
DIS Veteran

I am a single mom to 4. It really wasn't that difficult. When the kids were young, we rode what the youngest could ride. As they got older and more comfortable with the park, they were allowed to ride on their own. You will not be allowed to wait in the line with the 3yo, unless the child is tall enough to ride. Everyone in line must be tall enough to ride. You might get her FPs so she goes through the FP line alone. Then wait at the exit. But I would probably say ride the rides the little one is big enough for and enjoy the slower pace. Explain ahead of time this is how it will be adn she should be fine.
Malcon10t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 11:49 AM   #4
starshine514
DIS Veteran

I would be hesitant because of the age differences. I wouldn't think twice about taking both of my girls alone, but are both above the 40" mark, so everybody can ride just about anything together. If you had another older child that could ride with the 7-yr-old, that would change things for me also.

If you do decide to go, you'll need to prep the 7-yr-old for not riding any of the 'big kid' rides. If s/he is ok with this, then I'm sure the three of you can have a great time.
Disneyland Trips -1983, 1986, May 2011 - Desert Inn & Suites, August 2011 - Super 8 on Katella, November 2011 - Desert Inn & Suites, December 2011 - Quality Inn on Manchester, January 2012 - Desert Inn & Suites, March 2012 - Desert Inn & Suites, May 2012 - Del Sol Inn, September 2012 - Del Sol Inn, November 2012 - Del Sol Inn, January 2013 - Ramada Maingate, February 2013 - Quality Inn on Manchester, April 2013 - Del Sol Inn, May 2013 - Hojo, August 2013 - Del Sol Inn, September 2013 - Desert Inn & Suites, November 2013 (one day trip!) - Welk Resort San Diego
Disney World Trips - July 1988, January 2010 - Sheraton Vistana Resort, November 2010 (work trip - no family along) - Coronado Springs Resort
starshine514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 11:49 AM   #5
disneychrista
BL6 Red Team Captain
Disneyland is my Home
Birthdays are for kids of all ages
I have always been a big Kermit the Frog Fan

You should be fine. I have been doing solo trips with my kids sense they where little. Since the older one is 7, he will be allowed to ride alone, allowing you to ride with the 3yo.
disneychrista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 04:01 PM   #6
Mama Who
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94bruin View Post
I am trying to squeeze in a visit sometime this summer. The days I have in mind, DH would be working. I've never been to DL with two kids (will be 7 & almost 3) on my own.

Do we skip all the rides with height requirements and just stick to rides that we that the three of us can do together? Is there any way to let her ride her favorite ride (BTRMM)? Not sure if I'd feel comfortable letting her go alone in the line? Not even sure if she'd want to go alone on the line, now that I'm typing this out.

Any advice?
You can't take someone under the height requirement into a height required line. I would not send a 7 year old alone personally, but Disney does allow it and you could always use fastpass.

Now, not to be Debbie Downer, but I don't think I'd take those particular ages without a second adult. They are far enough apart to have different needs and desires and not far enough apart for the oldest to be helpful. Any friends or family in the area? Could you find someone willing to come along and help out?
Old 04-28-2012, 05:50 PM   #7
94bruin
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by starshine514 View Post
I would be hesitant because of the age differences. I wouldn't think twice about taking both of my girls alone, but are both above the 40" mark, so everybody can ride just about anything together. If you had another older child that could ride with the 7-yr-old, that would change things for me also.

If you do decide to go, you'll need to prep the 7-yr-old for not riding any of the 'big kid' rides. If s/he is ok with this, then I'm sure the three of you can have a great time.
I talked with her today. She doesn't mind going to DL and missing out on some of her favorite rides. If neither of us are comfortable letting her go in line alone, I have no qualms about taking a slower visit, ie seeing more shows, looking for more character interaction. Something we don't necessarily do when we go with DH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Who View Post
You can't take someone under the height requirement into a height required line. I would not send a 7 year old alone personally, but Disney does allow it and you could always use fastpass.

Now, not to be Debbie Downer, but I don't think I'd take those particular ages without a second adult. They are far enough apart to have different needs and desires and not far enough apart for the oldest to be helpful. Any friends or family in the area? Could you find someone willing to come along and help out?
Ideally we'd be staying with friends. They go almost every Sunday, so one day could potentially be with them. But there may be about a day and a half where we go at it alone.

Also, this would be our fourth trip since Dec. My girls have gotten pretty familiar with both parks.

Just trying to figure out if it'd be realistic to let her line up alone on one or two rides. BTRMM would be a good possibility since the FP line tends to be a short wait for us non-riders.

Past DL visits: 1984, 1990-95 (numerous times), 11/01 (GCH), 9/09 (GCH), 5/10 (GCH), 12/11 (DLH) - as new AP holders!, 1/12 (offsite), 4/12 (Homewood Suites), 10/12 (PP-concierge), 11/13 (DLH) - with three other families/AP holders again!, 4/14 (DLH)
Past WDW visits: 1982, 1998

Next DL visit: July 2014 offsite/GCH
94bruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 06:48 PM   #8
Mugglemama
DIS Veteran

It's great that your DD7 is mature enough to be reasonable about missing certain things if it comes down to it, just to be able to go at all.

Personally, I wouldn't send a 7 year old through a line alone unless I could see them through the entire line. At 7, my kids were all perfectly *capable* of going into lines alone (and more than familiar enough with the parks to probably be entirely willing to do it, too). Unfortunately, I'm just not willing to trust that the other people in line are going to be safe people for a young child to encounter alone and out of sight of their parent.

I saw a program (or maybe it was a website?) focusing on a particular group of pedophile men who frequent DL for the sole purpose of "admiring" the children there. It was disgusting....these men had written things about certain children using words like "delicious", etc. They had taken photos of the children, too...without the parents ever having ANY idea what was happening, I'm sure. Makes my stomach turn now just thinking about it. It seemed like it was a "club" of sorts, with new pedophiles joining into these "trips" all the time. And since these freaks offend girls who are 7-11 more than at any other age...yeah, I'd be unwilling to let my own 7 year old daughter go where I couldn't see her inside the parks, myself.

Are we absolutely *certain* that you wouldn't be allowed to walk through the line with her? I mean, if you explained the situation? I suggest calling the parks and actually asking. It's worth a try.

Mugglemama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 07:37 PM   #9
TigerlilyAJ
DIS Veteran

ITA with Mugglemama, including calling and asking. Heck, regardless of what you're told on the phone, I would try at the line itself just to see what happens.
I think if your friends can come one of the days, that makes a big difference. You can have your 1.5 days of Mama & the Gurls, all at the 3yo's pace and height restrictions, and then a day with your friends helping out so the 7yo can do the bigger stuff. I also think it helps that this isn't the 7yo first time, or even first time in recent memory. Definitely do those shows and other options you might normally skip to go on rides, rides, rides.
TigerlilyAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 07:47 PM   #10
Malcon10t
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerlilyAJ View Post
ITA with Mugglemama, including calling and asking. Heck, regardless of what you're told on the phone, I would try at the line itself just to see what happens.
Having just done this 2 weeks ago, I can tell you, No, she will not be allowed through the line with the little one.
Old 04-28-2012, 08:49 PM   #11
heather_sue_98
Mouseketeer

If my DD6 really wanted to go on BTMM, I'd get her a fast pass, and then wait until I saw what was obviously a family with children headed in with their passes, and then ask them if she could line up and ride with them. It's a little better than her being totally on her own.

Looking at this from the other side, I would also be totally fine with doing that with another parent's kid.
heather_sue_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 09:01 PM   #12
LisainCalifornia
DIS Veteran

I have done it many times with my 2 girls. They are 3 years apart. The thing that worked for us is that neither of them were into the more intense rides. We are all sort of lightweights and fine with going on the mild rides and then watching fireworks, looking in the stores, soaking up the ambiance. It just was never a situation were anyone felt left out! We have always had a great time with the 3 of us. You know your kids and know if they would be cool with this or not, right? Just go with your gut on it.
LisainCalifornia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 09:07 PM   #13
DisDiva2
Mouseketeer

you can do it! Mine are 6 and 9 so a little easier but we often go alone also and they understand they need to help mom! or we go home LOL

DW Swan & Dolphin 2012, DW Pop Century 2011,
Disney Dream 2011, DW Port Orleans French Quarter 2011, DW Caribbean Beach 2010, DW Coronado Springs 2009, DW All Star Sports 2008, Disney Vero Beach 2007, DW Pop Century 2007

DisDiva2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 09:09 PM   #14
Mugglemama
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcon10t View Post
Having just done this 2 weeks ago, I can tell you, No, she will not be allowed through the line with the little one.
Darn! That seems a little bit unreasonable. I mean...I'd think they'd take more issue with a small child being left unattended in line than a parent who was willing to supervise them all the way to boarding and then just wait at the exit - - simply because they had a smaller child with them (especially since people who meet the height requirement do just that alone all the time). Sheesh.

Mugglemama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 10:12 PM   #15
Malcon10t
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugglemama View Post
Darn! That seems a little bit unreasonable. I mean...I'd think they'd take more issue with a small child being left unattended in line than a parent who was willing to supervise them all the way to boarding and then just wait at the exit - - simply because they had a smaller child with them (especially since people who meet the height requirement do just that alone all the time). Sheesh.
It violates DOSH. Can't blame the CM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: