Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Planning Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2012, 05:04 PM   #1
wayneg
VMK AceCaptainWayne
I can't get my mouth to say healthy things

DISboards Moderator

New tipping system on Disney cruises

Disney Cruise Line is instituting a new procedure for gratuities on all their ships. On embarkation day, guests' folios will automatically be charged for the suggested gratuity amounts for Server, Assistant Server, Head Server and Stateroom Host/Hostess. Guests can still add pre-paid gratuities at the time of booking or when making their final payments. If this isn't done, a letter will be given at check-in explaining the automatic gratuity payments. Modifications to the amount can still be made at the Guest Services Desk.

The first thing I would do on boarding is visit guest services and have these removed. I have never cruised yet and every member of staff be worth the recommended amount. Some I give more some I give less, there is no way I want to be automatically charged before I get the service.
  • 2005(Oct) Disney Magic + BW Lakeside, 2005 (Xmas) BW Lakeside, 2006(Aug) Courtyard By Marriott LBV + 1st RCCL cruise,
  • 2006(Oct) Disneyland, Cailfornia Howard Johnson, 2006(Xmas)Comfort Inn LBV,2007(Easter)Fairfield Inn, Marriott Village
  • 2007(Aug)Courtyard By Marriott LBV, 2007(Oct) Disneyland CA, HoJo/Vegas, Flamingo,2008(Easter) Windsor Hills, Disney Wonder, Fairfield Inn
  • 2008(Aug)Country Inn, 2nd RCCL, AKL, 2008(Oct)& 2008(Xmas)Fairfield Inn, 2009(May)Country Inn 2009(Aug)OKW, Disney Magic, Regal Sun
  • 2010(Easter) Hampton Inn LBV 2010(Aug) Royal Pacific & OKW 2011(Feb)H.I. Express LBV 2011(Aug)OKW, Disney Dream, HI DTD
  • 2011(Oct) Fairfield Inn 2012(Aug) Fairfield Inn, OKW 2012(Nov) Fairfield Inn 2013(Apr) Fairfield Inn LBV 2013(Aug) Swan & ESA LBV 2013(Oct) ESA LBV
  • 2014(Jul) Hilton Garden Inn LBV 2014(Sept) Disney Magic 14nt WBTA, Wyndham Bonnet Creek
wayneg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 05:06 PM   #2
wilma-bride
Would love a diet on Cadbury Flakes
Admits she's strange when it comes to eggs

DISboards Moderator

They have been doing this for some time Wayne. We visited Guest Services on the last evening to have some of the charges adjusted (a couple up, one down). It was done no problem. TBH, I didn't have a problem with the new system although I thought it took the personal element away from putting the cash in the envelopes (you still get the envelope but now just get a ticket to put in with the pre-paid amount on it).
wilma-bride is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-27-2012, 05:19 PM   #3
wayneg
VMK AceCaptainWayne

DISboards Moderator

Only just announced on WDWinfo 48 hours ago, I wonder if they were trialling it before.

Just one of my pet hates are pre paid grats, I want to do it my way at the end of the trip, not there for me to adjust. I would remove to start then take it from there.
  • 2005(Oct) Disney Magic + BW Lakeside, 2005 (Xmas) BW Lakeside, 2006(Aug) Courtyard By Marriott LBV + 1st RCCL cruise,
  • 2006(Oct) Disneyland, Cailfornia Howard Johnson, 2006(Xmas)Comfort Inn LBV,2007(Easter)Fairfield Inn, Marriott Village
  • 2007(Aug)Courtyard By Marriott LBV, 2007(Oct) Disneyland CA, HoJo/Vegas, Flamingo,2008(Easter) Windsor Hills, Disney Wonder, Fairfield Inn
  • 2008(Aug)Country Inn, 2nd RCCL, AKL, 2008(Oct)& 2008(Xmas)Fairfield Inn, 2009(May)Country Inn 2009(Aug)OKW, Disney Magic, Regal Sun
  • 2010(Easter) Hampton Inn LBV 2010(Aug) Royal Pacific & OKW 2011(Feb)H.I. Express LBV 2011(Aug)OKW, Disney Dream, HI DTD
  • 2011(Oct) Fairfield Inn 2012(Aug) Fairfield Inn, OKW 2012(Nov) Fairfield Inn 2013(Apr) Fairfield Inn LBV 2013(Aug) Swan & ESA LBV 2013(Oct) ESA LBV
  • 2014(Jul) Hilton Garden Inn LBV 2014(Sept) Disney Magic 14nt WBTA, Wyndham Bonnet Creek
Old 04-27-2012, 06:35 PM   #4
April2012
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayneg View Post
Disney Cruise Line is instituting a new procedure for gratuities on all their ships. On embarkation day, guests' folios will automatically be charged for the suggested gratuity amounts for Server, Assistant Server, Head Server and Stateroom Host/Hostess. Guests can still add pre-paid gratuities at the time of booking or when making their final payments. If this isn't done, a letter will be given at check-in explaining the automatic gratuity payments. Modifications to the amount can still be made at the Guest Services Desk.

The first thing I would do on boarding is visit guest services and have these removed. I have never cruised yet and every member of staff be worth the recommended amount. Some I give more some I give less, there is no way I want to be automatically charged before I get the service.
Thanks for this info Wayne, will have to have a think what we are going to do on that one
April2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 06:11 AM   #5
mandymouse
If It's Not A Bahama Mama Then I'm Not Interested
Can I put my Christmas Tree up yet ?

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
We will too, as we like to tip with cash, and I don't want to head to Guest Services the night before disembarkation to adjust the amounts

mandymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 08:48 AM   #6
catherine
Hey not fair, you guys already have a bunch of tags, and poor me I haven't got one
Cheer up. You've been tagged by the tag fairie

Quote:

When I first read this I wondered how you would feel about it! I completely agree with you, I like to make up my own mind when it comes to tipping and definitely don't want to pay a tip on a service that I have yet to recive!

"In the middle of difficulty, lies opportunity." Albert Einstein

catherine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 09:12 AM   #7
DisFanJen
Disney Phreak

The big problem I see with automatically putting it on the account is the same problem you now get with TiW card.

Back when the TiW card was the DDP, we had to pay the gratuity on top, and if the service was bad we'd tip lower but if it was good we'd tip 18% or more on the full amount (inc tax) In fact I think the highest we tipped was 25% on top of the full bill, but they were a very, very good server.

Now the TiW includes the tip, it takes something way above and beyond for us to tip extra simply because of the hassle involved in doing so (as we never carry cash) which means rain or shine they are getting 18% based on the cost before tax.

So from a practical standpoint the amount we tip has probably lowered since it was automatically added and I can see the same happening with the tips on DCL.

Right now I need to go to the desk and sort out the payments, and while there it's easy to lower or increase the payment to an individual but now that I know that if I do nothing the slips will just appear, it'll take a special effort (or screw up) for me to take time out of my day that I didn't need to to change the amounts.

Of course I have an extra issue on my next cruise in that it's only a 3 night and I'm doing PALO on night 2 and REMY on night 3 so I need to arrange to get those slips as soon as I board to give to the servers, etc. as I'll only ever see them that one night (we always skip B'fast to get off the ship while it's quiet).

Follow my tweets for pre-trip and live trip reports as well as the usual inane Twitter chatter at: http://twitter.com/disneyfanjen

5/98 - DL(Off Site), 5/03 - WDW(Off Site), 2/04 - WDW(Off Site), 9/04 - WDW(Off Site), 12/05 - WDW(Off Site), 10/06 - WDW(AKL), 5/07 - WDW(SSR), 9/07 - WDW(SSR), 12/07 - WDW(SSR), 2/08 - WDW(Poly & GF), 12/08 - WDW(OKW, Wonder), 3/10 - WDW(AKL), 2/11 - WDW(OKW), 12/11 - WDW(SSR, OKW, Dream), 9/12 - WDW (OKW, Dream), 1/14 WDW (OKW, Fantasy), 11,14 (OKW, Dream)
DisFanJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 07:48 AM   #8
DISWolves
Dreams really can come true !!!!

Another one here who will remove it on the first day.
On our last cruise we never saw the Head Server at all.
DISWolves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 09:34 AM   #9
cornish pixie
DIS Veteran

They did this on the Med cruises last year after reading lots of threads it was indicated that europeans don't seem to be use to the tipping system and lot's of crew were losing out.
cornish pixie

May 2014 Disney Magic Med Cruise September 2014 WBTA cruise
July 2013 Saratoga Springs
August 2012 Miami, RPR, OKW, 5 Day Disney Dream Cruise, Miami. August 2011 Med Cruise, 3 days in Barcelona. February 2010 RCL Freedom of the Seas, Villa,4 day Disney Wonder Cruise. December 2008/January 2009 Villa, RPR. August 2007 Clearwater,RPR,Villa,POR, 3 Day Disney Wonder Cruise.May 2005 Ron Jons Cape Caribe Resort, 3 Day Disney Wonder Cruise, Villa, RPR. May 2003 Villa,RPR.
February 2002 Villa. February 1995 Quality Inn International
cornish pixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 11:47 AM   #10
UKDEB
Found the Tag Fairy's hangout
All whacked up on Scooby Snacks

DISboards Moderator

The other cruise lines we've sailed with all now seem to adopt this approach and it suits me better. I like the fact that I don't have to think about it. Embark. Enjoy myself. Disembark. Sorted! Even if I disagreed in principle - and I sort of get what you're saying, but there are valid arguments on both sides - I don't want to be wasting time at guest services.

October 1992 ~ Enclave Suites, I-Drive May 1996 ~ Omni Rosen, I-Drive October 1998 ~ Villa-Clear Creek August 2000 ~ Beach Club/Villa-Sunset Lakes July 2001 ~ Animal Kingdom Lodge/Hard Rock Hotel/Villa-Formosa Gdns Christmas 2001 ~ Villa-Formosa Gardens October 2002 ~ Hard Rock Hotel/Villa-Formosa Gdns May 2003 ~ Portofino Bay/Villa-Cumbrian Lakes January 2004 ~ Ritz-Carlton Grande Lakes/Villa-Formosa Gardens July 2004 ~ Grand Floridian/Portofino Bay/Villa-Formosa Gardens December 2004 ~ Villa-Rolling Hills/Disney Wonder Cruise/BoardWalk Grand Villa/Contemporary April 2005 ~ Washington DC, Shenandoah, Blue Ridge Parkway, Charleston, Savannah, Royal Pacific Resort/Villa-Acadia Estates January 2006 ~ Reunion Resort/Royal Pacific Resort April 2006 ~ Celebration Hotel/NCL Jewel Cruise/Hotel Victor, Miami/Beach Cottage-Disney's Vero Beach October 2006 ~ Reunion Resort/BoardWalk Villa/Rosen Shingle Creek August 2007 ~ Saratoga Springs//Reunion Grande January 2008 ~ Saratoga Springs/Beach Club Villas/Reunion Resort November 2008 ~ BoardWalk Villas/Royal Pacific Resort/Saratoga Springs March 2011 ~ Celebrity Cruise/Veness Towers, a stone's throw from the Magic Kingdom November 2012 ~ Bay Lake Tower/Ritz-Carlton, Sarasota/Ritz-Carlton Destination Club, Jupiter/Saratoga Springs September 2013 ~ Kidani Village/Saratoga Springs May 2014 ~ Beach Club Villas/Wyndham Grand Bonnet Creek/Bay Lake TowerJanuary 2015 ~ Four Seasons Golden Oak/Bay Lake Tower
UKDEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 12:10 PM   #11
wayneg
VMK AceCaptainWayne

DISboards Moderator

They can't please everyone. I without doubt tip more when not told what to tip. Others prefer to be advised or have it added.
Not that it makes any difference to me just now, I can't afford Disney Cruise prices in the summer. Last August we paid $1,698.51, next Aug $2,243.86, I can cruise Royal Caribbean for about $1,000 in outside cabin, we do prefer Disney but not worth over double the cost.
Old 04-29-2012, 04:27 PM   #12
Disneymad
DIS Veteran

Had a think about it and decided it doesn't bother me.

As it stands I went and did the tips on the last day and sometimes stood in a line to do so.

With the new system I only have to go to the desk if I want to remove or if someone has been exceptional, add something extra to my tips.

Worse case scenario = going to the desk exactly same as before, nothing gained or lost

Best case sceanrio = I'm happy with the default tips and I've saved some time.
Disneymad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:02 AM   #13
UKDEB
Found the Tag Fairy's hangout
All whacked up on Scooby Snacks

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
I without doubt tip more when not told what to tip. Others prefer to be advised or have it added.
When I say I prefer to have it added, I'm not necessarily talking about tipping in general, but when I'm on a cruise ship, where everything else is all-inclusive, it just makes it easier. On our last cruise with Celebrity, we also paid up-front for the drinks package for the same reason. I'd always give the minimum suggested amount on a cruise because these people rely on it. Where we want to leave extra for "above and beyond" we just just drop cash, or add to chitties, as we go along.

October 1992 ~ Enclave Suites, I-Drive May 1996 ~ Omni Rosen, I-Drive October 1998 ~ Villa-Clear Creek August 2000 ~ Beach Club/Villa-Sunset Lakes July 2001 ~ Animal Kingdom Lodge/Hard Rock Hotel/Villa-Formosa Gdns Christmas 2001 ~ Villa-Formosa Gardens October 2002 ~ Hard Rock Hotel/Villa-Formosa Gdns May 2003 ~ Portofino Bay/Villa-Cumbrian Lakes January 2004 ~ Ritz-Carlton Grande Lakes/Villa-Formosa Gardens July 2004 ~ Grand Floridian/Portofino Bay/Villa-Formosa Gardens December 2004 ~ Villa-Rolling Hills/Disney Wonder Cruise/BoardWalk Grand Villa/Contemporary April 2005 ~ Washington DC, Shenandoah, Blue Ridge Parkway, Charleston, Savannah, Royal Pacific Resort/Villa-Acadia Estates January 2006 ~ Reunion Resort/Royal Pacific Resort April 2006 ~ Celebration Hotel/NCL Jewel Cruise/Hotel Victor, Miami/Beach Cottage-Disney's Vero Beach October 2006 ~ Reunion Resort/BoardWalk Villa/Rosen Shingle Creek August 2007 ~ Saratoga Springs//Reunion Grande January 2008 ~ Saratoga Springs/Beach Club Villas/Reunion Resort November 2008 ~ BoardWalk Villas/Royal Pacific Resort/Saratoga Springs March 2011 ~ Celebrity Cruise/Veness Towers, a stone's throw from the Magic Kingdom November 2012 ~ Bay Lake Tower/Ritz-Carlton, Sarasota/Ritz-Carlton Destination Club, Jupiter/Saratoga Springs September 2013 ~ Kidani Village/Saratoga Springs May 2014 ~ Beach Club Villas/Wyndham Grand Bonnet Creek/Bay Lake TowerJanuary 2015 ~ Four Seasons Golden Oak/Bay Lake Tower
UKDEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:39 AM   #14
wayneg
VMK AceCaptainWayne

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKDEB View Post
I'd always give the minimum suggested amount on a cruise because these people rely on it.
Thats where we differ Deb, I have never cruised and tipped everyone full amount, this last cruise the assistant server was not good at all, upto 30 mins from getting into the restaurant to getting a drink, past cruises have always had diet cokes sat there waiting for when we arrive once they knew what we drank. If everyone tips minimum amount for poor service they might as well go the whole way and include them in the price of the cruise. I certainly give more than recommended tip for good service but I can't get my head around tipping for poor service, they either need to up their game or leave the job.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:01 AM   #15
brian/melanie
Earning My Ears

I have never been on a cruise but i would not tip, you have already payed for a service why should you pay twice,
brian/melanie is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: