Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2012, 08:38 AM   #1
donaldsgal
First row for Tower of Terror, Rock-n-Roller Coaster, and Space Mountain please!

Gorillapod for SLR-Zoom Question

Background:
I recently purchased a Canon SX 30 IS and am thinking about getting a Gorillapod. The one I'm looking at has the ball head with it. It's $49.95 for a new SLR-Zoom tripod with the ball head. I'm thinking that's a good price, based on what I see on Joby's website.

What I want to use it for:
I don't want or need a full-size tripod, but something to take pictures with at the parks, on our upcoming cruise, and around the house/in daily life would be great. As I'm going solo to the World for a few days before my family arrives, I'd like to use this to get some good pictures. I also love fireworks shots, so I'm hopeful the Gorillapod would allow me to get better shots.

What I hope someone can vouch for:
If I wrap the Gorillapod around a pole (very securely, I understand) or set it atop a trashcan or something, can I expect it to deliver? Would you trust it if you set it up, especially if you wrapped the legs around the pole, and walked away to be in the shot?

Any thoughts or opinions would be welcome here. Keep in mind I'm not going to go up the ladder in terms of more advanced or professional tripods because I just wouldn't use one, but I like the idea of a tripod that is small yet sturdy/stable.

Thanks in advance for your posts!
Old 04-27-2012, 09:53 AM   #2
cosine4
Mouseketeer

I trust mine. Compared to the versions for lighter cameras, the XLR Zoom is made of metal and is very sturdy and rugged. Seems like a great price, I would go for it. I would also pick up the ball head that is made for it, I think they go for about $20.
Register to remove

Old 04-27-2012, 09:55 AM   #3
Shutterbug
Baba Ganoush is my hero
No parking baby, No parking on the dance floor

Heres a long thread on the gorillapod. Though the last post was on 2010 so product might have changed since but it still might give you some help.

http://www.www.disboards.com/showthr...260724&page=16
Shutterbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:09 AM   #4
Gianna'sPapa
DIS Veteran

For me it is a situational tripod. It will work in the right or unusual conditions. I prefer my travel tripod. Here is a photo taken with the Gorillapod SLR Zoom from the Dessert Party area. I had it sitting on a table and used a remote to activate the shutter. At that time they weren't (and I don't know if that restriction is still in place) allowing tripods in the Dessert Party area. It will work very well, but as I said I prefer my Cullmann Magic 4 when traveling. I also would recommend the ball head.

Dessert Party FW by Gianna'sPapa, on Flickr
Gianna'sPapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:23 AM   #5
ssanders79
NO FLASH photography means just that!

I am happy with mine. It goes with me times when I do not want to take a full tripod. It is great for wrapping around posts and fence rails or low shots. The SLR-zoom is the way to go even for lighter cameras. I trust it, but I still babysit the rig just in case.

ssanders79 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: