Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2012, 07:46 PM   #31
javamoma
Diz Kid for Life
"Reboot" is the extent of my techinical knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dismom+two View Post
OH MY GOSH!! NO Kevin...those would be priceless prizes!!! Are you kidding me?? I'm sorry I didn't say that in my original post! The day I met Pete, Walter and Kathy at the New England meet, that was a priceless day!! Always will be. I'm sure some day when I meet the rest of you, I will feel the same! I'm so sorry I made you think that your time has no value!!
I took it as a joke and thought it was funny! I think most people realized what you meant. Doesn't everybody give each other a hard time on here? I forget to take people seriously sometimes!

DH myself DD7 and DS 2
1986: childhood trip, 1991:childhood trip, 1993: church trip, 1994: school trip, 1999: 21st b-day
2000: college graduation
2005: first trip with DH to WDW
2007: DD's first trip
2010: DL for DD's 5th b-day, DS 2 months old 1st trip
javamoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 08:35 PM   #32
DisneyKevin
Kelvis
Above the Pearls Below the Crown

Such a tease!

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyKevin View Post
It seems that our time doesn't have a huge monetary value.
Quote:
OH MY GOSH!! NO Kevin...those would be priceless prizes!!! Are you kidding me?? I'm sorry I didn't say that in my original post! The day I met Pete, Walter and Kathy at the New England meet, that was a priceless day!! Always will be. I'm sure some day when I meet the rest of you, I will feel the same! I'm so sorry I made you think that your time has no value!!
There is no reason to apologize. I wasn't offended. I was sort of playing along.

As in "poor me....I don't have a huge monetary value".

I even used the little fainting guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by javamoma View Post
I took it as a joke and thought it was funny! I think most people realized what you meant. Doesn't everybody give each other a hard time on here? I forget to take people seriously sometimes!
It's sometimes hard to gauge humor on the boards.

Physical cues that would let you know someone is joking, are absent.

What was written could be interpreted in several different ways.

As you can see from the responses, several people got an entirely different meaning from what was posted.

On a different note....we meet people frequently that think the podcast is our actual job. It's not.

While the podcast certainly dovetails with what we do, we all have actual jobs that we must do in addition to the podcast. If you add it all together and then add in things like errands, responsibilities and sleeping...many times there are not a lot of hours left in the day.

We never want to disappoint anyone, but offering a large block of our personal time as a "prize" would be difficult and often times impossible. There are times when we feel like a large block of time to get things done is a prize for us.

I'm not certain whether the prize matron will ever be back or not, but I would certainly hope that it's not a big deal ...either way.

Our show has changed greatly over the years and will continue to evolve.

I hope everyone continues to stick with us as we grow and try new things.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:11 PM   #33
Dismom+two
Dh and I always refer to it as "The Almighty Boards"
Wanted: Warm fuzzy feelings
I am still walking...haven't dropped yet
Almost left the bookstore without her lapdance

Quote:
There is no reason to apologize. I wasn't offended. I was sort of playing along.

As in "poor me....I don't have a huge monetary value".

I even used the little fainting guy.

It's sometimes hard to gauge humor on the boards.

Physical cues that would let you know someone is joking, are absent.

What was written could be interpreted in several different ways.

As you can see from the responses, several people got an entirely different meaning from what was posted.

On a different note....we meet people frequently that think the podcast is our actual job. It's not.

While the podcast certainly dovetails with what we do, we all have actual jobs that we must do in addition to the podcast. If you add it all together and then add in things like errands, responsibilities and sleeping...many times there are not a lot of hours left in the day.

We never want to disappoint anyone, but offering a large block of our personal time as a "prize" would be difficult and often times impossible. There are times when we feel like a large block of time to get things done is a prize for us.

I'm not certain whether the prize matron will ever be back or not, but I would certainly hope that it's not a big deal ...either way.

Our show has changed greatly over the years and will continue to evolve.

I hope everyone continues to stick with us as we grow and try new things.

Whew!! Simple fix...we just need to clone you all!!!
Dismom+two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 09:55 PM   #34
WaltD4Me
PS...I tried asking for water cups once
I am actually a princess

Quote:
Whew!! Simple fix...we just need to clone you all!!!
Oh Duh! No reason for a debate, why didn't we think of cloning before? Simple solution. I wonder how many we would need? Maybe we should just start with one of each and see how that goes.

On a side note...I thought the Prizematron was fun and exciting. I just happened to listen to the show when three cruises were given away just during Housekeeping...I loved thinking of the three who won listening and their reaction. That aside....Love the show, love the crew...Prizematron or not, makes no difference to me...either way.
Lisa 1980 Poly, 92' Grand Floridian, Oct 98 Teddy & Doll Convention, Dec 2004 POFQ, May 05 40th Birthday!, May 06 OKW 41st Birthday! May 07 OKW 42nd Birthday! Feb 08 Pirate & Princess Party! Oct. 08 at OKW! 1st Solo Trip May 09! / November 2010 at OKW, 2013 at WDW and Crusing on the Dream
WaltD4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:00 AM   #35
BooToYou7
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by cm4lfie View Post
I'm guessing with the addition of the welcome center, not to mention all the podcast crews and ABD trips, the prizematron budget may have taken a bit of a beating.
Ah, that's an excellent point.

Quote:
That is so funny, I do the same thing. I am making way through the old shows (probably my second or third time through) and I can't remember if what I heard is recent or 4 years old! And the funny thing is I started listening to the shows over again once I began planning our upcoming trip and I think it has only confused me!
Ha! Glad to know I'm not the only one. They say something on the shows or invite emails on a topic and I'll think "I'll totally write in about that!" And then I remember it happened 4/5/6 years ago. How confusing would that be to the Podcast crew if I did!
Old 04-30-2012, 07:08 AM   #36
PeterPan09
bury my iPod with me, on shuffle, with headphones in my ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by *NikkiBell* View Post
Forgive my ignorance, but I truly can't tell if this was serious or tongue-in-cheek. Podcasters are just like you, me, and the neighbor down the street - normal people. They get up in the morning and put their pants on one leg at a time. The only difference is that they use technology as a medium to share their opinions and lives with others around the globe.

With this being said, the personal lives of the podcast team are sacred. For many reasons (safety being one of them), I wouldn't expect Corey and Julie to schedule a day with a listener and bring along their children. Similarly, I would never expect Pete to share his personal address with those he does not know. Just like celebrities in Hollywood, they are real people and have private lives away from the fame here on the DIS. I think we should respect that and not push our wants upon them. If this is something they volunteer, that is a different story, but I think it should be their decision and not something influenced by the listeners.

Just my two cents.
I agree Nikki. As much fun as it would be for me to spend time at Disney with Kathy learning to "stand closer" and get better pictures, or to have dinner with Kevin and John or get in person rants from Pete at the parks-these people have lives! They also have a LOT of other work that they do outside of the podcast. I'm grateful to them for the hours they give us every week taping that podcast and bringing so much knowledge and enjoyment into my life.
PeterPan09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:07 AM   #37
DisneyKevin
Kelvis
Above the Pearls Below the Crown

Such a tease!

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BooToYou7 View Post
Ah, that's an excellent point.

Ha! Glad to know I'm not the only one. They say something on the shows or invite emails on a topic and I'll think "I'll totally write in about that!" And then I remember it happened 4/5/6 years ago. How confusing would that be to the Podcast crew if I did!
This is another phenomenon that I don't think any of us really thought about when starting the podcast.

Personally, I never go back and listen to the show after it's been recorded. It makes me self-conscious about the idiosyncrasies of my speech pattern and I try to correct that during the next show and sound even weirder. The only time I ever go back and listen to a show is when someone says that I said something I either know I didn't say, or at the very least...dont think I said.

That being said, we have heard that people keep episodes of the podcast on their devices and listen to them more than once. Also, like you mentioned...people listen to the shows from years ago.

I am frequently asked "do you remember when you said......." and I think "gosh, I really don't". It's usually after a bit of conversation that it's something that was said in 2007 or something like that.

The experience of doing the podcast and meeting folks that listen has been a very exciting learning process of which I'm thrilled and honored to be a part.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:28 AM   #38
lugnut33
DIS Veteran

In my opinion I'm glad the prizematron is gone. That's not the reason I listen to the show. Plus the drum rolls were weak.
Old 04-30-2012, 03:04 PM   #39
SDSorority
I was traumatized as a child by Magic Journeys and The Haunted Mansion. **I have a LGMH with me at all times.** {Is it Podcast day yet??}

Location: The home of the Buckeyes! 975 Miles too far away from Epcot.

I just miss the unenthusiastic "yaaaaaaayy......" after someone won something.

Cracked me up every time.
SDSorority is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 03:23 PM   #40
roomthreeseventeen
Inaugural Dopey Challenge finisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDSorority View Post

Yeah, that I can get on board with.
AKL (marathon weekend) and ... AKL (Wine and Dine)
2013 Fort Wilderness 2014 Dopey Challenge AKL
2015 Dopey Challenge at the Beach Club!

roomthreeseventeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 03:38 PM   #41
MomofKatie
Maybe if you leave some chocolate under your pillow the Tag Fairy will visit you!
In the second grade I looked like a mini senior citizen!
"Dairy World?" "Fairy World." "OH, DARN IT!!!"

Quote:

I loved the "yaaaaaayy...."

Whenever someone says or does something not worth enthusiasm, our family says the DIS boards "yaaaayyyy...." in unison.
MomofKatie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 06:30 PM   #42
Decorated_Dust
Live from the Magical World within my brain...

I just started listening to the podcast again after more than a year, and this is one of the things I noticed the most. I guess it's time to bring back the low-tech envelopes.

Quote:

It always reminded me of a Gregorian Chant, and always added my "Kyrie Eleison" after it. I miss doing that, particularly the mental image of the podcasters in monk gear.

"Sometimes I go into my own little world, but it's okay. They know me there." - Joel Hodgson

Facebook

Twitter
Decorated_Dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:41 PM   #43
BooToYou7
Earning My Ears

Quote:
This is another phenomenon that I don't think any of us really thought about when starting the podcast.

Personally, I never go back and listen to the show after it's been recorded. It makes me self-conscious about the idiosyncrasies of my speech pattern and I try to correct that during the next show and sound even weirder. The only time I ever go back and listen to a show is when someone says that I said something I either know I didn't say, or at the very least...dont think I said.

That being said, we have heard that people keep episodes of the podcast on their devices and listen to them more than once. Also, like you mentioned...people listen to the shows from years ago.

I am frequently asked "do you remember when you said......." and I think "gosh, I really don't". It's usually after a bit of conversation that it's something that was said in 2007 or something like that.

The experience of doing the podcast and meeting folks that listen has been a very exciting learning process of which I'm thrilled and honored to be a part.
Even though they aren't meant to be gone back and listened to, I think the old episodes are charming. It's so much fun to hear the predictions and rumors with hindsight. It's fun to hear the first email from Dave Parfitt and the Netherpeople. And, of course, listening to Bob. I didn't start listening to the podcast until after he passed so it's been very nice going back and getting to know him.

I've now gone wildly off-topic. Sorry OP!
Old 04-30-2012, 09:21 PM   #44
javamoma
Diz Kid for Life
"Reboot" is the extent of my techinical knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by BooToYou7 View Post
Even though they aren't meant to be gone back and listened to, I think the old episodes are charming. It's so much fun to hear the predictions and rumors with hindsight. It's fun to hear the first email from Dave Parfitt and the Netherpeople. And, of course, listening to Bob. I didn't start listening to the podcast until after he passed so it's been very nice going back and getting to know him.

I've now gone wildly off-topic. Sorry OP!
Yes, way off topic but agree it is fun to listen to them all! I began listening to the podcast the week Bob died and when new podcasts did not come out fast enough I decided to download the oldies. At that point I felt like I got "caught up" on the group. Then last summer I decided to start over and listen to them all again! I did it so I could remember who said what about different resorts/attractions/etc to plan my upcomming trip. But it does get confusing because one minute you are hearing Pete say Napa Rose is the best place ever. And then I listen to a new podcast full of rants about the place (or vice versa depending on which time period is current and old. I feel like I am explaining time travel!). What would be nice is some kind of database where we could search archives of podcast for a topic like, "The Contemporary". And it would pull up all episodes where the Contemporary was discussed. Then you could listen to all of them and know which one was most current. Wow, how much work would it take to devise a database like that! One can dream though!

The predictions are fun to note. Only a handful were way off base.

DH myself DD7 and DS 2
1986: childhood trip, 1991:childhood trip, 1993: church trip, 1994: school trip, 1999: 21st b-day
2000: college graduation
2005: first trip with DH to WDW
2007: DD's first trip
2010: DL for DD's 5th b-day, DS 2 months old 1st trip
javamoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 10:16 PM   #45
AndyPok1
Back in MCO!
To answer the other question, getting along is boring
I like tacos

Quote:
What would be nice is some kind of database where we could search archives of podcast for a topic like, "The Contemporary". And it would pull up all episodes where the Contemporary was discussed. Then you could listen to all of them and know which one was most current. Wow, how much work would it take to devise a database like that! One can dream though!
I was actually thinking about that a few weeks ago. At the very least split up the old episodes into segments like the new ones are.

I was going to take it upon myself to do it, that way they could embed them throughout the site like they have with some segments, but then I got distracted by something shiny and forgot about it.
AndyPok1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: