Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Weddings and Honeymoons
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2012, 05:58 AM   #316
cruisecrasher
DIS Veteran

We've got a big cruise planned for our 10th anniversary, what are the odds we do a VR at CC?
Well a girl can dream.
January 2014....maybe.
Upcoming Trips:

Upcoming Fantasy Cruise!

Upcoming Big Family Reunion Cruise
cruisecrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:46 PM   #317
JBeanBunny
royal purple pigment

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisecrasher View Post
We've got a big cruise planned for our 10th anniversary, what are the odds we do a VR at CC?
Well a girl can dream.
January 2014....maybe.
Go for it! If you're a cruise-lover than this VR would be perfect for you! Mine was gorgeous and better than I'd expected! They really have it down to a science! As long as you accept that their options are limited, then understand that they'll still make it as beautiful as possible! If you want something, ask! I wound up getting the dining rotation I wanted (wedding night in Royal Palace!) and the table I wanted (smack dab in the middle of RP!), the flowers were gorgeous, you get "VIP" treatment, they leave lots of goodies in your stateroom every night, and the cruise guests and cruise cast are incredibly kind to you on your special day!
JBeanBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-17-2012, 07:16 PM   #318
cruisecrasher
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBeanBunny View Post
Go for it! If you're a cruise-lover than this VR would be perfect for you! Mine was gorgeous and better than I'd expected! They really have it down to a science! As long as you accept that their options are limited, then understand that they'll still make it as beautiful as possible! If you want something, ask! I wound up getting the dining rotation I wanted (wedding night in Royal Palace!) and the table I wanted (smack dab in the middle of RP!), the flowers were gorgeous, you get "VIP" treatment, they leave lots of goodies in your stateroom every night, and the cruise guests and cruise cast are incredibly kind to you on your special day!
We're planning on sailing in the royal suite regardless that cruise, so I think it will be pretty special...but it'd be lovely to be able to let DH know how much I love him more everyday.
Upcoming Trips:

Upcoming Fantasy Cruise!

Upcoming Big Family Reunion Cruise
cruisecrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 12:49 PM   #319
castmeaway
Mouseketeer

Beware!

Our daughter-in-law dropped her dress off at Guest Services when we boarded the ship, and it turned up later in her room damaged without so much as a note saying there was a problem. They supposedly steamed it and snagged the material in several places and ripped out the tacking that held the rouching in place.

Coordinator only allowed 2 to witness the short "official" ceremony. We argued and they finally let the four parents attend while making the rest of the family wait in the atrium; however, any random guest who walked by was able to witness the ceremony which added insult to injury.

Onboard coordinator was a joke, never knew the answer to any question asked and acted superior to you.

Otherwise, everything else went well.

Bride was compensated for damage to her dress, and they made several attempts to fix it; however, it was never the same as originally purchased.
castmeaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 01:32 PM   #320
VowRenewal13
Mouseketeer

My DH and I will be doing a VR on the Dream in July 13. We have been married for 40 years and when we married the first time, he wore a uniform and I wore a dress. Am I too old to wear a wedding gown this time? We are both 63 years young!
VowRenewal13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 05:27 PM   #321
JBeanBunny
royal purple pigment

Quote:
Originally Posted by castmeaway View Post
Our daughter-in-law dropped her dress off at Guest Services when we boarded the ship, and it turned up later in her room damaged without so much as a note saying there was a problem. They supposedly steamed it and snagged the material in several places and ripped out the tacking that held the rouching in place.

Coordinator only allowed 2 to witness the short "official" ceremony. We argued and they finally let the four parents attend while making the rest of the family wait in the atrium; however, any random guest who walked by was able to witness the ceremony which added insult to injury.

Onboard coordinator was a joke, never knew the answer to any question asked and acted superior to you.

Otherwise, everything else went well.

Bride was compensated for damage to her dress, and they made several attempts to fix it; however, it was never the same as originally purchased.
Sorry to hear about your bad experience. My dress was hand delivered by my wedding coordinator and thankfully nothing was damaged (I did enough damage to it on my own with everybody stepping on it!!!!) We did, however, get a CHARGE for the steaming of the attire, even though it's clearly free with the wedding package! We just had to talk to Laura and she made sure that guest services removed that charge! Laura was incredibly helpful to us, if she didn't know an answer, she would find it. She was helpful when we met her in January on our "research cruise" and even moreso during our wedding cruise.

We, too, were ONLY allowed to have 2 witnesses to the ceremony. (I don't see why this is such a big deal to people- it is clearly stated by DCL and DFTW that you may only have two witnesses! I understand that it's unfair for them to break the rules for some and not for others, but you should be prepared for only 2 anyways) I had Michael's brother and my Maid of Honor to sign the marriage certificate... BUT my mom was very insistent that she be there too, a bit to Laura's dismay. All of my friends (who had all had several drinks of the day) were trying to crash the legal ceremony, but I'm glad they were left out! We were brought into Royal Palace into their private dining area with doors shut. After the quick quick ceremony, we went back into the main Royal Palace dining room to talk about the timing of the event and to go over all of my selections. My photographers were allowed to be at this meeting, too. The DCL gave us two copies of the wedding license and they mailed it to Orange County for us. All-in-all, I'd say that this entire process took 15-25 minutes.

Here's our first "official" photo as husband and wife after the legal ceremony, taken in that private dining room of RP. You can see our officiant in the background.
Old 09-18-2012, 05:36 PM   #322
JBeanBunny
royal purple pigment

Quote:
Originally Posted by VowRenewal13 View Post
My DH and I will be doing a VR on the Dream in July 13. We have been married for 40 years and when we married the first time, he wore a uniform and I wore a dress. Am I too old to wear a wedding gown this time? We are both 63 years young!
Congrats! I hope I have many long years of marriage like you have! (I'm up to 4 whole days and going strong! ) I think you should wear a gown! You're never too old! It's a special occasion, after all! Besides, gorgeous attire really fits the atmosphere of the beautiful Dream! Great for pictures! My *husband* (still so weird to call him that!) wore a tuxedo with tails and I wore a very full ballgown! It's your day, wear what you want to wear!
Old 09-18-2012, 06:38 PM   #323
VowRenewal13
Mouseketeer

Congratulations

Congratulations on your wedding. Wishing you and your husband many years of happiness! I am going to look at gowns on Friday with one of my friends.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:52 PM   #324
LemonBird
Earning My Ears

Suggestions?

My sister-in-law was going to get married on Castaway Cay, but has gotten really discouraged by all the lack of personalization options. I'm trying to show her that it's not that bad by presenting different things that she -can- control such as having an alternate bouquet (made from seashells or origami or any of the billion other things etsy offers), giving out fans or programs or something to the guests when they arrive, decorating doors on the ship, favor bags for the guests, cake topper, -anything-. Does anyone have any suggestions? How long do you have once you get off the ship before the actual ceremony starts? Meaning maybe we could quickly hang something on the aisle chairs that would at least appear in pictures? I thought I remembered someone on here mentioning having their own officiant since the actual legal ceremony was done ahead of time, but was that something done on the island? Do you think it would be feasible to have two members of the wedding party hold up a sort of gauzy arch like you usually see at beach weddings? Since it's not really my wedding, I can't exactly ask the planner.

Also, she mentioned that a friend of hers had gone on a Disney cruise that was not part of the wedding and that the ceremony was held right next to a bar playing loud music. Can anyone attest to this?
LemonBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 11:42 PM   #325
JBeanBunny
royal purple pigment

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonBird View Post
My sister-in-law was going to get married on Castaway Cay, but has gotten really discouraged by all the lack of personalization options. I'm trying to show her that it's not that bad by presenting different things that she -can- control such as having an alternate bouquet (made from seashells or origami or any of the billion other things etsy offers), giving out fans or programs or something to the guests when they arrive, decorating doors on the ship, favor bags for the guests, cake topper, -anything-. Does anyone have any suggestions? How long do you have once you get off the ship before the actual ceremony starts? Meaning maybe we could quickly hang something on the aisle chairs that would at least appear in pictures? I thought I remembered someone on here mentioning having their own officiant since the actual legal ceremony was done ahead of time, but was that something done on the island? Do you think it would be feasible to have two members of the wedding party hold up a sort of gauzy arch like you usually see at beach weddings? Since it's not really my wedding, I can't exactly ask the planner.

Also, she mentioned that a friend of hers had gone on a Disney cruise that was not part of the wedding and that the ceremony was held right next to a bar playing loud music. Can anyone attest to this?
I can attest that CC weddings are NOT private. There are beach chairs set up about 10-15 feet away from the ceremony location, and it's located on a little "pier" between the water slides, the snorkeling area, and Heads Up Bar. Needless to say, the one I witnessed was still nice. I just personally couldn't handle the idea of having some hairy dude in a speedo being in the back of my wedding photos. I had an onboard wedding last Friday while docked in Nassau and it was incredibly intimate and away from cruise guests! If she's nervous about the CC thing, suggest that she switch to an onboard wedding- it's $1,000 cheaper anyways!

As for personalization, you should check out my PJ. I made everything in my favor bags (and even my favor bags themselves) including personalized magnets, homemade mickey soaps, vials of pixie dust, first aid kits, glow sticks, etc. All of my cruise guests loved the personal touch to the favor bags! I had so many compliments! For our legal ceremony on the embarkation day, I had a feather bouquet & boutonniere made for me & Michael to wear, along with "personalized" Bride & Groom Mickey & Minnie ears. You just have to think creatively and you can make it your own! Their options may be limited, but they really make the event beautiful and mine was even better than I'd anticipated!

If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask! There's many of us DCL brides (past and upcoming!) who have some marvelous ideas to making a DCL wedding special!
Old 09-19-2012, 05:12 PM   #326
stl_figment
Mouseketeer

I second that Castaway Cay weddings are not private. And I think I do have wedding photos with a hairy guy in a speedo in the background. However, we still were very pleased with both the ceremony and the pictures.

As for the legal part, it happens the day you get on the ship. Location various, ours was at 3 pm in a conference room. Afterwards we went through details of the actual wedding.

stl_figment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:18 AM   #327
adamwiz
Earning My Ears

We just got married on the Fantasy last week and just stumbled on this thread as my wife is putting together an entire disseration on the experience that will cover the good (on board experience with coordinator Alastair and our onboard photographer) the bad (shoreside assistance and the always changing answers from Meredith vs. what we were told by Shanda) and the strange (Captain Marco showing up to the ceremony late and the onboard coordinator frantically calling him, Palo losing our wedding cake top tier and the ship having to make a new one for later in the cruise, specific requests made in the wedding packet not fulfilled after being approved).

One thing that I saw here recently that I will weigh in on was the civil ceremony before leaving port. We were asked to meet our coordinator at Guest Services onboard at 2pm and then he asked where we wanted to go to do the civil ceremony. We just walked to the middle of the shops area on deck 3 by the Walt Disney picture. We had our entire wedding party and about 30 other random folks stand around and watch. No problem with having 2 witnesses, though that's all that were required to sign the certificate.
adamwiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 10:07 AM   #328
Soon2bmrsg
Earning My Ears

May wedding aboard fantasy

We have put our deposit down for our wedding in May 2013 on the Disney fantasy. We are excited...we have picked out the cake, flowers, songs and such. I think we plan on trying to reserve the outlook lounge if available. Did anyone use this venue? I have seen pics and it is gorgeous..does it need any extra decor? We have 2 small girls who love Disney, hence our family wedding/family moon. Also we want to do nice gifts for our guests since they are paying a small fortune to be apart of our big day. Any ideas or recommendations.
Soon2bmrsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 02:48 AM   #329
chris31997
Disney Kid at Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by VowRenewal13 View Post
Go for it

Lemonbird, your SIL can personalize so much and people here can give her or you hints on what to personalize that it is almost without limit or limited to your imagination.

Chrissy
chris31997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:57 AM   #330
VowRenewal13
Mouseketeer

Found my gown this past weekend. I love it!!! Found shoes that will match it on sale at Dillards. Will take my 8 yr old Maid of Honor dress shopping at Christmas (told her she could wear any color she wanted, except purple). Undecided whether DH will wear a suit or be cruise casual. He wll wear whatever I would like him to. Have lots of time to think about that. I downloaded Waltograph fonts, and made door magnets. I am using Powerpoint, since I am familiar with that program.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: