Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Weddings and Honeymoons
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2014, 08:57 PM   #1
Yensid88
Earning My Ears

Question Proposing in Disney

Hi all,

My girlfriend and I are going to Disney World in December. She doesn't know it yet, but I am planning to propose to her there. We have been talking about a wedding for some time now and she absolutely loves Disney so I know this will be special for her.

I am trying to game plan where I would like to propose. I have a few ideas in mind, but since I have only been to Disney twice, I thought I'd get suggestions and advice from the community here. Any thoughts or feedback would be appreciated!

Right now, my ideas are:

1. Propose in the Rose Garden between Magic Kingdom and Tomorrowland
2. Propose at the Wishing Well behind the Castle
3. Propose in the evening/night at Port Orleans Riverside (where we are staying) at the bay overlooking the main resort area
4. If I am able to book a restaurant overlooking Magic Kingdom, propose there after dinner - reservations may not be available though

I thought the first two options would allow me to get a Disney Photographer to photograph the moment which would be special, but the latter two options may be a bit more intimate.

Regardless of where I propose, I am planning to propose on either our first night there or on the second day (our first full day) so that we can enjoy the experience together for the rest of the trip....plus she'll want to get one of those big pins that says "Just Engaged!"

Any thoughts or suggestions would be sincerely appreciated! Thank you very much!
Yensid88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 05:34 AM   #2
Chilly
I was having a bit of a blonde moment
D'oh!
Married my prince at WDW

Congratulations.

All good ideas. I think while having your photo taken is a fab idea, i'd have loved that.
Chilly is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-14-2014, 07:56 AM   #3
TigerandBear
Samira and James

Hi there! How exciting! My fiance proposed to me at the rose garden last month and it was so perfect. We had purchased Memory Maker any way and we got SO many pictures of the moment.

TigerandBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 08:16 AM   #4
Deannacooper93
Earning My Ears

My fiance proposed to my in front of the castle and had my step father standing by to take all of the pictures!! He actually told me he was planning to propose to me by the wishing well but when he was about to do it a huge family came by to take pictures by the well lol!!! When I went to disney the well was not accessible because of construction but it will most likely be done by December (I think they were putting the Christmas lights up).
Old 10-14-2014, 08:16 AM   #5
Disney_Alli
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerandBear View Post
Hi there! How exciting! My fiance proposed to me at the rose garden last month and it was so perfect. We had purchased Memory Maker any way and we got SO many pictures of the moment.
This spot would be my choice too. You can get great pictures here and 99.9% of the time there's a Photopass photographer there

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Lots of Pixie Dust
Disney_Alli

Disney_Alli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 09:02 AM   #6
TiffinyKaye
Mouseketeer

I think it really depends on what's going to be most meaningful to the two of you.

If she's really an MK girl, then I'd say in front of the castle, Main Street USA, or during Wishes. I 100% recommend any option that allows you to have someone there (a Photopass person, or random stranger taking the picture for you) to take pictures and capture the moment.

The reason I say that it matters about what is most meaningful is because I got engaged in front of Spaceship Earth at Epcot December 8, 2012 (we're keeping the date and doing our wedding in Epcot December 8, 2014). My fiance and I are both huge Disney fans. And while we do love MK and all the others, Epcot is our favorite park. Being the most meaningful place for us between all the parks...getting engaged there (and making the choice to get married there, too) is all super meaningful. Plus, there was a Photopass dude there, and he has the whole thing on film too. Just make sure you're sneaky and let the dude know beforehand with a casual whisper.

Here's another thought too. Disney is masterful at proposals. It can cost hundreds of dollars to have 'special' stuff delivered at a restaurant for a truly fairytale proposal. That said, I think if you called guest services, they could arrange a time and place for you guys to be (wherever you decide, of course) so that the person you meet up with there knows to be ready. That's the one thing that I do regret about how our photos came out. Even though DF mentioned it in a whisper to him before, the guy really wasn't that quick on the draw. So, I swear to god the proposal was a surprise to him too (you can kind of tell in the photos).

Make sure you have bags and stuff (like a backpack) that you wouldn't want in the picture. That's how my fiance was able to tell the dude without looking suspicious. We "posed," and then he went back to the photographer to put his stuff down next to the photographer. That's when he passed along the info.

Anyway, good luck in your decision. I'm personally happy with Spaceship Earth because I love that place...and I feel like everyone gets engaged in front of the castle. So, I feel a little special in that mine was a tad bit more unique. That said, uniqueness doesn't matter if the place you ultimately choose (like the castle) would be important and magical to her.

Tiffiny
TiffinyKaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 09:37 AM   #7
LadyD
Mouseketeer

Another thing to think about is how she would like the process the moment with you. Something like in front of the castle is likely to draw a lot of attention for people nearby while something at the resort is more likely to end up being a moment between the two of you.

It is hard to not pick a magical location at Disney World. I'm sure she is going to be thrilled and ecstatic where ever you pick
LadyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 09:44 AM   #8
jerseygal
DIS Veteran

Thumbs up Sweet! Aah, how nice!

BEST OF LUCK and MANY YEARS OF HAPPINESS TO COME!:cheer

WE just celebrated #31!

Hope that you have a WONDERFUL HEALTHY LIFE together!

Are we really "semi empty nesters" now?
Getting "over the hump" with youngest DS in college!
LOVING our new FLEXIBILITY with DVC!::
CAN'T WAIT for our December trip!
jerseygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 05:11 PM   #9
kanadar
Mouseketeer

I would agree to PP's. I LOVE Disney, but I myself wouldn't want my proposal in front of the castle. Nothing against it at all! It's just not my thing. I'd prefer something a bit different such as Epcot, or even on the beach at Poly that is on the way to the Grand Floridian. I think Port Orleans would be nice.
kanadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 05:58 PM   #10
huskies90
DIS Veteran

Here you go:

http://youtu.be/IpojZ0COU3Y
Dec 1977 Offsite - Jan 1990 Offsite - Jan 1991 Offsite - Nov 2004 All Star Movies- Nov 2005 Port Orleans Riverside - Dec 2005 Animal Kingdom Lodge - Jambo House - Aug 2007 Coronado Springs/Royal Pacific - June 2008 Yacht Club - Feb 2009 Port Orleans French Quarter - Nov 2009 Disneyland Hotel - Aug 2010 Beach Club/Hard Rock Hotel - Nov 2010 Swan - Dec 2010 All Star Music - Dec 2010 Animal Kingdom Villas - Kidani Village - March 2011 Saratoga Springs - Aug 2011 All Star Sports - Aug 2011 Boardwalk Villas - Nov 2011 Saratoga Springs - Jan 2012 Bay Lake Tower - July 2012 Grand Californian - Aug 2012 Beach Club Villas - Nov 2012 Old Key West - Aug 2013 Old Key West - Sept 2013 Contemporary - March 2014 Animal Kingdom Villas - Jambo House - July 2014 Boardwalk Villas - July 2014 Bay Lake Tower
huskies90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 11:28 PM   #11
TiffinyKaye
Mouseketeer

The flash mob! That one was cute.
TiffinyKaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 12:08 PM   #12
EleishebaNacht
Earning My Ears

Definitely talk to a Cast Member, it is REALLY helpful to have Disney already on your side before you do it so you don't have to worry about a photographer or other CM being too surprised to think. Calling Disney Floral and Gifts can help, they have tons of engagement packages. Also give Lurkyloo's "Disney Weddings Podcast" episode #45 a listen, the title is 101 Ways to Propose at Disney.
EleishebaNacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 10:40 AM   #13
anniebean
Flyers fan stuck in Tennessee

Congrats!

My fiancé proposed at CRT right before fireworks started. We had a window seat so was perfect.

And yes! Please propose on the first day or two! Mine waited until the 5th day of our trip!! And a day after our anniversary just to throw me off!
anniebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 10:50 AM   #14
jerseygal
DIS Veteran

Thumbs up How nice for you!

SO GREAT!

GREAT IDEA!
Propose the first or second day of trip and ENJOY, ENJOY!

Are we really "semi empty nesters" now?
Getting "over the hump" with youngest DS in college!
LOVING our new FLEXIBILITY with DVC!::
CAN'T WAIT for our December trip!
jerseygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 05:54 PM   #15
Yensid88
Earning My Ears

Wow! Thank you all for your feedback, I truly do appreciate it!

There's definitely a lot of food for thought here. I don't know if I'd choose the flash mob myself, but it was definitely a cool video!

So far, I haven't been able to book a table at California Grill to have the nice view of Magic Kingdom as a backdrop. However, the Rose Garden is starting to take an edge over my other ideas since I can capture the moment (that was a great shot TigerandBear!) and my girlfriend LOVES Magic Kingdom. I'm still looking at some other options and am even going to call the Disney Weddings phone number tomorrow just to see what they may suggest.

I sincerely appreciate all your feedback and would continue to welcome any other thoughts or comments!

Last edited by Yensid88; 10-16-2014 at 06:10 PM.
Yensid88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
magic kingdom, port orleans riverside, proposal

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: