Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2012, 08:33 AM   #46
Jestocost
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishing4PA View Post
I just wanted to pop in to say this isn't just a GC or a Disney problem. I think many companies limit the exp. dates you can enter, just to try to help people avoid picking the wrong date -- if you say your card expires in 2315, for example, you either entered/selected the wrong date, or you have a very trusting card issuer.
I ran into this problem last Spring, when I had a new regular credit card (not a gift card.) The issuer sent me my new card a month or so before the old one would have expired. I activated it, used it successfully, and shredded the old card. Sure enough, when I went to book a shore excursion with Carnival, I could not pick the year that my card expired. Their drop-down list would have worked if it expired a year sooner. I think I contacted Carnival and told them it was time to update their dates, and if I recall, the next week I went in and booked the excursion with that card.
Either that or I gave up and just used a different card. I have such a spotty memory!
That would make sense, except for the fact that Federal Reserve regulations require that funds on any gift cards issued have an expiration date of AT LEAST five years out, so it makes no sense for any merchant not to process cards with expiration dates that far out.
Spring 1976, WDW/Golf Resort; Spring 2000, WDW/CBR; Summer 2002, WDW/CBR; Thanksgiving 2003, Disney Wonder & WDW/CBR; Fall 2004, WDW/POFQ; Spring Break 2005, Disney Magic Western Caribbean; Fall 2005, WDW/BC; Summer 2006, Disney Magic Eastern Caribbean & WDW/POFQ; Christmas 2006, WDW/POFQ; Spring Break 2007, DLR/Disneyland Hotel; Fall 2007, WDW/Poly; Summer 2008, WDW/POFQ & Disney Wonder B2B; Thanksgiving 2008, WDW/Poly; Summer 2009, WDW/AKL; Christmas/New Year 2009-2010, WDW/Poly and Disney Magic Western Caribbean; Spring Break 2010, WDW/BC; Summer 2010, WDW/GF; Thanksgiving 2010, WDW/POFQ; Spring Break 2011, WDW/BC; Summer 2011, WDW/BWI; Thanksgiving 2011, Disney Dream; Summer 2012, WDW/AKL;F&WF 2012, WDW/BWI; Spring Break 2013, WDW/BC; Summer 2013, Disney Wonder Alaska; F&WF 2013, WDW/YC; Spring Break 2014, WDW/AKL and Disney Fantasy Western Caribbean

Jestocost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:44 AM   #47
OceanStateKelly
Mouseketeer

I get visa gift cards all the time from my bank as rewards from my debit card- the expiration date is a year after issue.. I buy Disney GC @ Stop and Shop and Southwest GC with them all the time and never had a problem

OceanStateKelly is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-02-2012, 10:45 AM   #48
OceanStateKelly
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanStateKelly View Post
I get visa gift cards all the time from my bank as rewards from my debit card- the expiration date is a year after issue.. I buy Disney GC @ Stop and Shop and Southwest GC with them all the time and never had a problem
Opps sorry there mastercards

OceanStateKelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 11:13 AM   #49
bookgirl
I don't eat onions-they squelch when you bite into them
I don't eat raisins-they look like dried up bugs
Can we say food issues?

My wellness program at work gives out bank issued gift cards as incentives (american express). I just turn them into gift cards that I know I'll spend. Last year I turned them all into Disney gift cards and had $125 dollars to spend at F&W/resturants last week.

If I don't have a imediate plan at Disney I turn them into itunes cards or Barnes and Noble cards for my online accounts there. Disney store (brick and mortar stores) and walmart both seem to be able to process those things no problem.

UPCOMING: 7/14 Offsite & 10/14 F&W Festival (in planning) WL

bookgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 05:25 PM   #50
matheke
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lees3rwe View Post
Thanks everyone!
Thank you. Without reading this thread, others could have had the same problem. Of course there is almost always somebody here that has had the same problem and knows a way around the red tape.

Glad you were able to take a bunch of lemons and make lemonade.

Dan
matheke is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: