Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2013, 08:47 AM   #1666
EJ4Disney
DIS Veteran

Happy Tuesday all,

My prayers are with everyone affected by the DC shooting. Stay safe everyone.

Nan ~ How is school going this year? Is the Ipad really making a difference?

It is cloudy and rainy again today. I even grabbed a jacket when I left this morning. The chill is in the air - I love Fall!! I did get my 4 miles in last night so I am on track.

I have another darn meeting here at the church again tonight that I have to be at. I plan on walking into town (about 5 miles) and then Doug will pick me up after the meeting as it will be to dark to walk home.

WFDT ~ Beef Stew (it's in the crockpot) and a crusty loaf of bread.

Make it a great day!

Ellen
EJ4Disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 10:53 AM   #1667
EJ4Disney
DIS Veteran

Happy Hump day girlies - I just love that commercial.

Man oh man it is quiet in here. I guess I will keep it going for awhile. I love to ramble to myself anyway.

We are under flood warnings. All the water from Colorado will be here over night. The Platte river will be at 13' over flood stage. Oh joy!! We don't live in the valley so we will be alright, but I am sure there is going to be some damage to crops in the area. So sad!! My heart just breaks for everyone in Colorado. It is just devastating.

WFDT ~ Beef grinders, watermelon pickles, and sliced tomatoes (I just can't get enough of these this year - they are so yummy!!

Make it a great day!

Ellen
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-18-2013, 02:41 PM   #1668
Nancyg56
DIS Veteran

Happy Wednesday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Ellen! yes it is quiet lately. You have so darn many meetings! I don't know how you do it!

I am so sad about the wicked weather Colorado is experiencing. Every time I complain about our weather, i know I should be embarrassed, it is so much worse elsewhere. WE are having a lovely fall here, though, so no complaining lately. We have a few trees that change their clothes early. so if they are an indication about our fall Show, it is going to be spectacular!

I have Kady tonight. Actually, Buddy has Kady, I have school. Marisa and Jeff are at a Red Sox game, right behind home plate . Poor little peanut does not feel well though. Buddy will take her to supper, but if she changes her mind, he can pick up subway.

I like school, but holy accounting helll! It is really hard for me!

It is Big E season here, and if you live in New England, you know what teh Big E is. It is a huge New England States Fair, and we love our fairs! Well, there is a sanctimonious, condescending woman in our class, and she had plenty to say about the fair, none of it nice. I get that a lot of folks think it is a huge money vaccuum, and it is, but it does have more than foods, gadgets and gizmos, and rides. ANyone involved in the agricultural side of life knows what there is to be offered.Anyway, Monday night was the first time in my life I ever told someone I hardly knew that she said one of the most offensive things to me. I thought Marisa was going to fall off her chair...it was the "frickin" in front of the "offensive" that shocked her, and she proceeded to tell the woman that was as close to the big F bomb her mom ever got.

Then the woman said she was "proud" of me for taking nutrition. At this point I am seriously...you say this to a grown woman who just said the class was because I needed another class to remain full time?

Back in class she insulted Marisa by insinuating she did not understand accounting rules. Picture Marisa..."I got it, I really do. For 12 years I have been doing this, and you do not understand how it works." Tonight is going to be a blast.
Old 09-19-2013, 09:24 AM   #1669
EJ4Disney
DIS Veteran

Morning everyone.

Nan ~ Bless your heart!! I so understand standing up to people. It is really hard for me to. But mess with my family and I can stand my ground pretty good. As far as the "F" bomb my kids kid me about it all the time. I am like you - Frickin is as close as I have ever come. But I can make Frickin sound pretty bad.
How is Kady feeling today? Did they get to go out to eat?
Prayers for your classes. I am so proud of you!!! You can do it.

We woke up at 2:57 am with an alert of a flood warning. Parts of Nebraska are to see flooding starting later today and over the weekend we will see flooding here in Lexington. It will be NOTHING like CO but our low lying areas will see the effects. Crops and livestock will be affected. They have let the schools out West of us to help fill sand bags to try to save a few towns and houses. The Platte is full to its banks here but nothing is overflowing right now. This could be a wild ride for awhile. Doug got notified yesterday that he will be going out to Boulder to help restore gas services. 90% of the towns gas meters are under water and will need to be rebuilt. He is glad to be able to help.

Well I am now down to crunch time. 72 hours and it will all be over. I am getting a bit nervous. We are getting up at 4:30 am to head into Omaha on Saturday to get our packets. We could have gone that afternoon but the Huskers play at 2:30 - heck no - we can't miss the game. So we will get up early and be there at 7 am. Then we have to get up early again on Sunday as the race starts at 7 am. No partying this weekend until Sunday afternoon.

WFDT ~ Meatloaf, baked potatoes and green bean casserole.

Make it a great day all!

Ellen
Old 09-19-2013, 08:41 PM   #1670
Nancyg56
DIS Veteran

Ellen- I am so worried about you! I knew that teh weather was bad, but had no idea that the flooding could impact you and your neighbors. Please knwo you all are in my prayers! Stay safe!
Old 09-19-2013, 08:53 PM   #1671
Where'sPiglet?
I'm going to try something different this month
Do I LOOK like I know what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ4Disney View Post
We are under flood warnings. All the water from Colorado will be here over night. The Platte river will be at 13' over flood stage. Oh joy!! We don't live in the valley so we will be alright, but I am sure there is going to be some damage to crops in the area. So sad!! My heart just breaks for everyone in Colorado. It is just devastating.

WFDT ~ Beef grinders, watermelon pickles, and sliced tomatoes (I just can't get enough of these this year - they are so yummy!!

Make it a great day!
What is a grinder? Sandwich?

It's bad in Colorado. Really bad. I used to live in Boulder County, and it's hard to see what they are dealing with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancyg56 View Post
It is Big E season here, and if you live in New England, you know what teh Big E is. It is a huge New England States Fair, and we love our fairs! Well, there is a sanctimonious, condescending woman in our class, and she had plenty to say about the fair, none of it nice. I get that a lot of folks think it is a huge money vaccuum, and it is, but it does have more than foods, gadgets and gizmos, and rides. ANyone involved in the agricultural side of life knows what there is to be offered.Anyway, Monday night was the first time in my life I ever told someone I hardly knew that she said one of the most offensive things to me. I thought Marisa was going to fall off her chair...it was the "frickin" in front of the "offensive" that shocked her, and she proceeded to tell the woman that was as close to the big F bomb her mom ever got.

Then the woman said she was "proud" of me for taking nutrition. At this point I am seriously...you say this to a grown woman who just said the class was because I needed another class to remain full time?

Back in class she insulted Marisa by insinuating she did not understand accounting rules. Picture Marisa..."I got it, I really do. For 12 years I have been doing this, and you do not understand how it works." Tonight is going to be a blast.
I don't live in New England and I have a vague idea of what the Big E is. But I want to know though, do they have cows and goats and bunnies and other creatures?

That woman sounds like a joy.

Quote:
Morning everyone.

Nan ~ Bless your heart!! I so understand standing up to people. It is really hard for me to. But mess with my family and I can stand my ground pretty good. As far as the "F" bomb my kids kid me about it all the time. I am like you - Frickin is as close as I have ever come. But I can make Frickin sound pretty bad.
How is Kady feeling today? Did they get to go out to eat?
Prayers for your classes. I am so proud of you!!! You can do it.

We woke up at 2:57 am with an alert of a flood warning. Parts of Nebraska are to see flooding starting later today and over the weekend we will see flooding here in Lexington. It will be NOTHING like CO but our low lying areas will see the effects. Crops and livestock will be affected. They have let the schools out West of us to help fill sand bags to try to save a few towns and houses. The Platte is full to its banks here but nothing is overflowing right now. This could be a wild ride for awhile. Doug got notified yesterday that he will be going out to Boulder to help restore gas services. 90% of the towns gas meters are under water and will need to be rebuilt. He is glad to be able to help.

Well I am now down to crunch time. 72 hours and it will all be over. I am getting a bit nervous. We are getting up at 4:30 am to head into Omaha on Saturday to get our packets. We could have gone that afternoon but the Huskers play at 2:30 - heck no - we can't miss the game. So we will get up early and be there at 7 am. Then we have to get up early again on Sunday as the race starts at 7 am. No partying this weekend until Sunday afternoon.

WFDT ~ Meatloaf, baked potatoes and green bean casserole.

Make it a great day all!
Hopefully your flooding won't be so devastating. It doesn't take much water to make major problems though.

1987, 1997, 2002, 2008, 2010, 2013 ~*~ Disneyland

2010 Princess Half Marathon Trip Report
Where'sPiglet? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 08:30 AM   #1672
Nancyg56
DIS Veteran

Quote:

!
Okay- now I can think. I am so very worried about your area, and for you to even consider missing a game makes me even more so. Pleas let us know how you all are and if your family is safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Where'sPiglet? View Post
What is a grinder? Sandwich?

I don't live in New England and I have a vague idea of what the Big E is. But I want to know though, do they have cows and goats and bunnies and other creatures?

That woman sounds like a joy.
A "grinder" is a "Hoagie" or a "Sub" or a "Submarine".

The Big E started out as an agricultural fair, and we sure do love our fairs in New England. We have 4 H Fairs, 4 Town Fairs, and regional and town fairs. The agricultural aspect of each fair is still huge, although many folks don't really care about that part. 4-H families, and agricultural schools enter competitions in all areas of agriculture, which is ever increasing. We have environmental sciences, Animal sciences, all areas of horticulture, including landscape architecture and flower design, Diesel mechanics, it goes on and on. animal shows are so much fun, and they are real. The owners of these animals are serious and invest a time and money n growing and showing their animals. So yes, there are animals of every kind, and exhibits that detail what they are used for, right down to finished products.

I don't argue that the fairs are way different than what they started out, but what isn't? I also think it is okay not to like them, not to approve of what they were, what they have become, or what they will become. I was just so offended that she had no idea about what she spoke. Not one thing.

She homeschooled her family, and I value that commitment to their education,
but I bet you a buck she did it alone, with no interaction with other parents who were not only providing an education, but broadening their children's horizons by using local events as a springboard. She never took her family to the 4 Town fair, which is right in her back yard, relatively speaking. How can she judge if she has no experience?

Anyway, that is why I was offended, she had made a judgement about people who support these events, and discredited those people who work so hard to further her own experience with food, textiles, and land preservation.

Today I am spending the morning in school, and hoping to get some work done at home in the afternoon.
Old 09-20-2013, 09:00 AM   #1673
EJ4Disney
DIS Veteran

IT'S Friday............here comes the weekend.

Nan ~ Thanks so much for your concern, but we (personally) are just fine. We live North of town. The town itself is in a valley and we can look down on it. So we never get water. The North Platte river runs just to the south of Lexington and south of Interstate 80. We went out and looked last night and the river is bank to bank, running really really fast, was about 5 feet from the underside of the bridge. So it is about as full as it can get and we are to get the big surge on Saturday. So the low laying farms, houses and land will be flooded. A lot of sandbags have been filled so hopefully not a lot of damage will be done. Thanks so much for you concern.

Bethany ~ Yes Nan is right, a grinder is somewhat like a Hoagie. But they get the "grinder" from using ground meat instead of sliced meat. I use steak or roast beef, peppers, onions and cook all together and somewhat break it all up. Hence the "grinder" - it is all together. Somewhat like a cheesesteak. And then we top them with cheese. Oh so good!!
Yes Colorado is a mess. I feel so bad for our friends there. Like I said yesterday, Doug will be heading there to help restore gas services to them. Every little bit helps. Bless their hearts!! It is just devastating.

Thank goodness it is Friday. I am so ready for this race to be over. During the Lincoln Marathon I saw a sign that says exactly how I feel today - "This sounded like a good idea 6 months ago". I think I am just psyching myself up too much. But in all truth I really will be glad when it's over and I can just go back to walking for rest and relaxation. Wish me luck!!

We play South Dakota State tomorrow. I sure hope we show up to play!! After the mess of a game last week, I am not really sure about the Huskers right now. Our Quarterback has turf toe so we are putting a true freshman in to play. Truly, he couldn't do any worse than our lead did last week. Doug isn't able to go this weekend as he is on call, so I am letting Marty and Stephanie go together (they switch off with one always staying home with Lilly). We sold our set of tickets, so I will play with Lilly and watch it on TV. "GO BIG RED"

WFDT ~ Steaks and baked potatoes. Matthew is cooking again tonight when we get to Lincoln.

Make it a great day and a wonderful weekend.

Ellen
Old 09-20-2013, 05:22 PM   #1674
Nancyg56
DIS Veteran

Ellen- I am so glad your family is safe, but my heart breaks for your town. Have fun at your game! This week will be better!

Buddy and I are meeting friends for dinner. YUM!
Old 09-23-2013, 10:14 AM   #1675
EJ4Disney
DIS Veteran

Happy Monday everyone!!

Nan ~ I hope your weekend was quiet. You really need some down time.
The flooding is worse than was expected. The water is toxic also. Full of derbis and lots of contaminates. We are being warned to not even go look as it is pretty dangerous. But of course Doug went down to the river this weekend. He was pretty amazed at how fast and full it is. We are to crest late tonight.

We all had a fun game day and the Huskers looked pretty good. And Taylor Martinez (our senior, hurt quarterback) better be worried. We put in our 2 back ups, and one is a red shirted freshman and they were awesome. Our Defense was AWFUL!! They had better get that figured out and fast. We did end up winning 59-20. It was a beautiful autumn day for football.

Well ladies, I can honestly say I am now a Marathoner (at least a participant). I was pleased with my time. It was better than I expected and I was able to keep a good pace. Truth be told I was pretty proud of myself. But it did start a passion. This will not be my last one. I want to better my time and pace. I had a BALL!! What a neat experience. I was so proud of my kids also. Matthew and Stephanie both had personal bests. Matthew's time was a 9.08 mile and Stephanie was a 9.35. We all felt like champions!! We all were glad when it was over and we were a bit sore. I feel pretty good this morning........sore but a good sore. Nothing that a good walk won't fix tonight. Thanks for all of your good thoughts and those on FB - the shout outs were wonderful. We were all pretty proud of ourselves.

WFDT ~ Stuffed Pork Chops with a apple and raisin stuffing, Sweet Potatoes and roasted Brussel Sprouts.

Make it a great day!!

Ellen
Old 09-23-2013, 02:31 PM   #1676
Nancyg56
DIS Veteran

Ellen- i followed you on FB, and can I say that YOU ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I loved the family pic!

I cannot even start to comprehend the flooding that you are experiencing. I saw the news in Colorado as well, and it is truly heartbreaking. A few years ago, I think it was Irene that hit parts of Vermont hard. We went to see a friends vacation home maybe two years later, and the devastation was still apparent. I pray that there is enough help to get those folks affected back whole again.

Well, back to school! Dinner was some sort of salsa mac that I threw together. I do nto think Buddy will eat it so I picked up a Subway sandwich for him, JIC.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:28 AM   #1677
EJ4Disney
DIS Veteran

Morning everyone,

Nan ~ Thanks for your kind words, they mean the world to me.
Please don't worry about us. We are getting nothing at all like they did in Colorado. What is happening here is all in the low lands. There have been some fields under water and houses with water in them. North Platte (about 52 miles west of us had water running in the streets downtown. They got hit pretty hard. Here in Lexington we are to crest later today at 7' above flood stage. But we are all right. We were lookyloos last night and the river is running SO fast and hard. The thing that worries me the most is that the water is so contaminated. The fields that are affected will not be useful now for years. So sad!!
Good luck with your school work. As I have said before - I am so proud of you!!

I didn't get my walk in last night as it rained pretty much all day and was pouring when I got off of work. Like we needed anymore rain. Rained till almost 8:00 and then my favorite show started - The Voice. So needless to say I didn't get out.

Ethan was his first football game tonight. When I picked him up for school this morning he was so excited for his game. I will go to Zumba then head over to the field after. I can't wait these little ones are so much fun to watch.

WFDT ~ Tomato Basil w/cheese Brats (I have found the neatest place that makes the best homemade Brats - YUM) chips and sliced tomatoes.

Make it a great day!!

Ellen
Old 09-25-2013, 05:28 PM   #1678
bigmerle1966
Photobucket
OH MY STARS!

Hello ladies! Been a long time since I've been here, I read once in a while, but hadn't had time to post. Things have quieted down here a lot now that we are through the first month of school and Homecoming is over.

The breakfast and game were this past weekend and oh what a game it was. This is with the biggest rivalry the team has and things can get a bit tense. This year a fight broke out during the game and one of their coaches shoved one of our players. Mind you this boy wasn't even a part of the fight. I think every penalty flag got thrown.

Two players from each team got removed and that coach plus one of their parents also got removed, those two by the cops. As the parent was being removed he was shouting at our two players who were being held back until he was completely removed.

The parents of J are pressing charges and our two players have to sit out this weeks game, and rightly so. Our coach is really disappointed in the boys behavior and I am sure that hurts them more than the penalty does.

Off to go shopping. Next time I come back, which hopefully will not be as long, I'll tell you about my adventures in Extreme Couponing.
POR/AKL 12/02 POR(overnight stay)11/04 POR 6/21-6/29/05 POP 12/10-12/18/05 OKW 6/16-6/22/06 BWI 12/06 POP 9/7-9/10/06 OKW- Girls week May 07 POLY 7/5 to 7/9/07 POP 9/1 to 9/9/07 POP 11/1-11/6/07 POP 12/19 to 12/26/08 For Noah For delswife. LYMI
........... Oh Chachi!..... Bird Flu Hits Trailer Park- News at 11 Duchess Ohmystars of Rearkickerstown
bigmerle1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 09:57 AM   #1679
EJ4Disney
DIS Veteran

Hi girls

Sorry I didn't check in yesterday. It was one of those days that before I knew it, it was 5:00. It was payroll and check day (I pay twice a month).

Marilyn ~ So glad things have slowed down.
That is just terrible about the game. People need to remember it is a "game". Stories like this just scare me and amaze me. I can't imagine how scary that was for you and the other spectators. Wow!! I am so glad no one was hurt.
I can't wait to hear your couponing story. I used to be the queen of coupons. I still use them, but not like I did when the kids were all home. The most I saved was $110 on a load of groceries that was $327.00. I was pretty proud of myself. And that is when Doug became a believer and never left the house without asking if I had my coupons.

Ethan's game was so much fun. Those little ones are so darn cute. The run in a pack. He has the best coach this year that really is teaching them the basics. They really don't officially keep score but when the game was over Ethan declared that they were the winners.

It is a beautiful day out today. No wind, no rain and temps in the 60's right now. It is to get in the upper 70's later. Doug just texted me saying that him and Jay were golfing tonight. Probably the last night for the year. Elizabeth and the boys and me are having dinner together. 0 It has been awhile that Elizabeth and I have had together time. We see each other every day, but really don't have time to "talk". Every week we have been in Lincoln so tonight will be great to catch up. I can't wait!!

WFDT ~ I have no idea as Elizabeth is cooking. But she is a great cook so I know it will be great.

Make it a great day!!

Ellen
Old 09-26-2013, 10:41 AM   #1680
bigmerle1966
Photobucket
OH MY STARS!

Ellen- people seem to forget that it is just that, a game. When Ray Rice, Baltimore Raven, was hurt a couple games ago people started saying nasty things because it hurt their fantasy football stats.

The little players are so cute, the helmet makes them look like little bobble heads! I remember when my middle godson first started playing he would run up to where the pile of boys were in the tackle and would throw himself on top of it to show he was "playing" He was 9 or 10 at the time.
POR/AKL 12/02 POR(overnight stay)11/04 POR 6/21-6/29/05 POP 12/10-12/18/05 OKW 6/16-6/22/06 BWI 12/06 POP 9/7-9/10/06 OKW- Girls week May 07 POLY 7/5 to 7/9/07 POP 9/1 to 9/9/07 POP 11/1-11/6/07 POP 12/19 to 12/26/08 For Noah For delswife. LYMI
........... Oh Chachi!..... Bird Flu Hits Trailer Park- News at 11 Duchess Ohmystars of Rearkickerstown
bigmerle1966 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: