Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2012, 09:44 PM   #1
chimommy
Mouseketeer

anyone go to the world and spend more time at your resort than the parks?

We are planning our 5th trip... and Im thinking about only going to mk and spending more time at our resort on the next trip. Our kids are little (they will be 2 and 4 on the next trip) and its just a lot for them to be on the go all the time (although they do pretty well with it). We just got back from disney this week. I think they enjoyed mk the most... so Im thinking about just doing mk and mnsshp and having a few resort days. Wondering if anyone else has done this and if they enjoyed having more downtime. This last trip was fun... but exhausting... it took a few days to recover =).
chimommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:38 PM   #2
Mom2six
DIS Veteran

We've never done a trip that is mostly resort, but we stayed 10 nights in the beginning of September and had a few resort days. We really enjoyed them quite a bit. I could see enjoying a leisurely trip. Have fun!
Mom2six is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-29-2012, 10:49 PM   #3
Retro Magic
Mouseketeer

We will be doing this in February. Right now, I plan to only go to MK and the rest at the resort. I want to just enjoy the surroundings at the resort and RELAX. The last couple of trips just always seem to be so rushed and just slips away so quickly to where you cannot even take it all in. Then you're home....trip is over
1997 Grand Floridian & Boardwalkšoš1997 All Star Sports & WDW Dolphinšoš1995 Marriot Orlando World Centrešoš1991 Grand Floridianšoš1988 Buna Vista Palace

Retro Magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:57 PM   #4
glocon
DIS Veteran

We will be there on 10/8 & 10/9, getting to the BC late that Monday morning. Our plan is to go to MNSSHP on the 8th and spend the rest of the time at the BC at SAB. So we will spend much of Monday and all of Tuesday at the resort.

We went to AKL last time for two days, and spent one of those days at the resort, the other at MK. We love to spend time at the resorts. There is so much to see and do, at least at the few resorts we have stayed at.

I don't know that we would have done that if we had stayed at a value, but when we did our three days at POR, we also spent one of those days just at POR.

So yes, we definitely spend much of our time at the resort we choose to stay at.
Old 09-29-2012, 11:02 PM   #5
goofy4prez
DIS Dads Club Member #484
I hate the Steelers & Ravens like a mother loves a child!!!!

I enjoy spending time at the resorts, however I still spend more time in the parks than the resort.

Achieved (6-10-12) and maintaining weight lost goal of 115 LBS.From 267 lbs to 152 lbs
goofy4prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 12:21 AM   #6
Alaska DogCat
Mouseketeer

We've done trips with as high as 50/50 Resort/Park days. Because of our distance, our trips tend to be longer and we also enjoy the sun--it's once or twice a year we get to sunbathe, so a day at the resort enjoying the resort and the pool is as much fun sometimes as the parks.

Alaska DogCat
Homer, Alaska (4,928 miles from Mickey's House)

Next Disney Experience: Panama Canal cruise in December.
Alaska DogCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 08:40 AM   #7
Couchy
DIS Veteran

DH and I spent more time at BC than the parks on the past two trips. We love the resort as much as the parks. SAB can be so relaxing

4 trips as a kid.2002-Westgate, 2004 -Hilton DTD, 2005 -Westgate, 2007 -Royal Sun DTD, 2008 Hilton DTD, April 2011 -Swan, Dec 2011-Dolphin/ Yacht Club , Feb 2012 -Solo@Swan , April 2012-Dolphin with our friends, june/july 2012 - Beach Club
Couchy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 08:44 AM   #8
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimommy View Post
We are planning our 5th trip... and Im thinking about only going to mk and spending more time at our resort on the next trip. Our kids are little (they will be 2 and 4 on the next trip) and its just a lot for them to be on the go all the time (although they do pretty well with it). We just got back from disney this week. I think they enjoyed mk the most... so Im thinking about just doing mk and mnsshp and having a few resort days. Wondering if anyone else has done this and if they enjoyed having more downtime. This last trip was fun... but exhausting... it took a few days to recover =).
We have discovered that a longer trip is actually the way around exhaustion for us. We were doing 7/8 night trips and this past summer we did 10 nights, 11 days and I think because of that, we didn't feel so much pressure to do everything all at once. We had two whole days where we just loafed around the resort, did pool time, etc....it was glorious!!

We are doing it again in April and have some good resort time planned, but I think we still do have more time in parks, but having built in down days is awesome!

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ • AUG 2014 BC CL
Mousemommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 08:57 AM   #9
cfw213
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousemommy1

We have discovered that a longer trip is actually the way around exhaustion for us. We were doing 7/8 night trips and this past summer we did 10 nights, 11 days and I think because of that, we didn't feel so much pressure to do everything all at once. We had two whole days where we just loafed around the resort, did pool time, etc....it was glorious!!

We are doing it again in April and have some good resort time planned, but I think we still do have more time in parks, but having built in down days is awesome!
I agree! In December 2011 we did 5 days (one day at Universal), and I was EXHAUSTED! This time we did 8 days all at Disney and it was wonderful - I was actually relaxed and felt somewhat rested! I'll never do less than a week again if I can help it.

September 2012 TR - COMPLETE- Are you Push?? Our sister trip around the World - A September 2012 TR
October 2013 TR - IN PROGRESS- Where are we going? What are we doing? An engagement/anniversary extravaganza! - An Oct 2013 TR

cfw213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:09 AM   #10
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

We have been going to Disney since 2001 (with our first stay onsite in 2002) and after the first couple of years, we started spending more time enjoying the resort. Once we tried the deluxe resorts, we got used to the extra amenities, pools, etc. and started enjoying hanging out at the resort more than spending all day in the parks. We usually hit a park in the morning for maybe an hour or two, then head back to the resort until it's time to go to dinner, then back to a park in the evening for a little bit and then call it a day. Just being on property immersed in the Disney bubble is what it's about for us, rather than being in the parks from open until close. We always get our park fix, but we love our resort time .

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:22 AM   #11
Tricia's mom
DIS Veteran

We always feel a bit cheated when we leave our resort because we didn't spend much time enjoying it. This year we are going 9 days and only going to the parks 5 out of those days.. AK day will have a pool break mid day and even the HS day will have a mid day pool break along with one out of our 2 MK days. Epcot maybe be our only full park day.

We are staying at AKL so I really want to absorb the resort. There is so much to do aside from the parks. Activities around the pool, Maybe even a dinner show for a non park day like SOA or HDR. It makes it nice that you can go dressed in Non park days and not feel rushed getting there. DTD also has some great music on the stage, and it gives you some days to sleep in..... Just make sure you have a plan for non park days otherwise you will be staring at each other saying " what do you wanna do...?" I hate that ... MOSTLY on Vacation.
1974 Red Roof Inn ( too Many others to mention) 1992 Hawaiian Village inn 1994 All star sports 1996 ASMU 1998 CBR 2003 Celebration Hotel 2005 Rosen Plaza 2007 Plaza hotel 2008 POFQ 2009 PORS 2010 PoP 2010 WL 2011 PoP 2012 PORS & Dream 2012 Royal Pacific...2013 AKL
Tricia's mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 10:12 AM   #12
eliza61

We're Americans, we're survivors

Maybe not more time but we do take off days and chill at the resort. I never like the "exhausted" feeling when I'm on vaca. We go during August and nothing worst than being hot, sticky and tired.
Old 09-30-2012, 10:12 AM   #13
SonjaLeigh
HavingFun1DayAttaTime

more resort time yes please

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimommy View Post
we definitely spend more time at the resorts then the parks and we enjoy every minute. we spend our time going to lunch or dinner at a different resort and enjoying the ambiance of it all. we go the the movies at wilderness campgrounds and make smores. take advantage of all of the resorts special activities like tea parties with Alice or a pirate cruise adventure. so much more fun for us then doing a park a day. oops gotta fix my countdown

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: