Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2012, 07:12 PM   #91
DaveinFallsChurch
DIS Veteran

Touring the World and a Meltdown to Remember

Monday April 16th Part III - EPCOT

We walked over to UK where the kids played in the red phone booths.

While they were in the booths, I quickly pulled out my trusty ol iPad and went online to search for the phone numbers for the phones in the booth on DIS. I found them, and called the number while DD and DS were in. They thought it was hilarious when they heard my voice. The only thing that was a little surprising was that the ring tone on those phones are digital ring tones and not the old fashioned bell ring. I don’t know why that surprised me. Afterwards, DW, DS, and DFIL moved on to France while DD and I picked up our Kimpossible communicators. It turned out our mission was back UK so we completed the whole mission which I thought was pretty cool. DD really got into it by the end but decided she didn’t want another mission. In fact, the most exciting part for her was dropping off the communicator in the red mail box at the backside of UK. I heard it land with metallic CLUNK. Yikes, do those phones survive those drops?

View of UK

By the time we were done with our mission, the rest of the gang were already at the Japan Pavilion watching the drum performance. We caught up with them and finished watching the show. It was getting really hot by that point. It had been mostly cloudy in the morning but now it was clearing up and with temps in the upper 80s, I was ready for a break. We perused the Japanese department store – brought back some memories as I had grown up in Korea and the layout of the department store reminded me of the old department stores of my childhood. As we exited the department store, I spotted a couple eating shaved ice treats in the shade and thought that was an excellent idea. So, I went got a strawberry flavored shaved ice treat.

We all went up to the top portion of the garden right outside the Japanese counter service restaurant, and I shared the ice with everyone. It hit the spot. The garden was very well done too. There were very few people up there and the whole place felt very quiet, tranquil, and removed from the hustle and bustle of World Showcase.

Japanese Garden

We made our way back down. Passed Italy then on to Germany.

Got these on our way to Germany.

DW and DFIL went into the caramel store to get some, well, caramels. I was sitting along the lake side with the kids– if I recall, it was sort of a stonemade outlook area that jutted out into the lake. They were playing with their mist fans that I had purchased prior to the trip. I decided to take the pictures we got from Akershus out so I could take a picture of the photopass number (I took pictures of all photopass numbers and cards throughout the trip just in case we lost any of them). That led to the kids wanting to see the 4x6 pictures. DD returned them back to me as we were cleaning up and DW/DFIL returned from their mini shopping trip. DS on the other hand was tired, hot, sleepy, and cranky now since he didn’t get a long enough nap earlier in the day. So, he decided he was going to keep them and try to fold them. We gave him our usual time-out warnings and counted to three and he still did not relinquish them. DFIL took the pics away from his hands and that’s when all H, E, double hockey sticks, broke loose. He had the mother of all tantrums right there continuously yelling “I want my pictures!!” and we would quietly remind him “no” every couple of minutes. We did what we usually do at home. Let him run through the phases of the tantrum and wait for him to calm down. Except, it’s a little more difficult to do when it’s happening in the middle of Epcot. This went on for a good 15 minutes. I’m sure most of you parents reading are thinking been there done that – well maybe not necessarily at Disney, but somewhere public. One little girl, about 18-19 months of age, walked over next to him to see what all the fuss was about. Her parents quickly came by and redirected her away. Once it was over, he got back in his stroller and we were ready to go.

By then it was already 5:35pm. DD had wanted to meet Mulan again this year and since the China Pavilion is the only place where we can meet her, we headed there. When we got to the meet and greet place, I did not see her out even though she was scheduled to be there. I asked a CM standing at that spot and she said that “Mulan had to go see the emperor for an emergency meeting” and that she may be back for her next set which started at 6:00pm. So, we hung around, enjoying the scenery.

The kids and Grandpa found a couple of frogs sitting on lily pads in the pond along the bridge. We also got to tour the Tomb Warriors exhibit.

Well, Mulan did not show up again so as we were packing up and getting ready to leave again, we realized that the acrobat show was about to begin. So we sat and watched the show for the first time. Enjoyed it quite a bit!

Next Up: Illuminations from a boat!!

All We Want Is To Spend Halloween with Mickey! October 2014PTR
Don't Fear the Rain, We have the Ducky of Death! - Jan '14 Trip Report
Discovering A Whole New World of Disney - An October Photo Safari 2013: Trip Report /PTR
A Winter Escape to the Enchanted Forest - January 2013 Trip Report/PTR
A Solo Trip to Disneyland 28 years in the Making! A Trip Report for October 16 and 17th, 2012
Our First Magical Poly Vacation! April 14-21, 2012 - Trip Report/ Live Report/ PTR

Old 05-03-2012, 09:21 PM   #92
204charity
DIS Veteran

Ahhh, the epic meltdown. LOL Although we didn't have any major "meltdowns" with our group on our trip, I can tell you that our only "moment" of the week happened at World Showcase too. Perhaps it has something to do with the park? LOL

I love it, but I think it can get a bit dry for kids.
April, 2012 -Disney's Polynesian Resort
November, 2012 - Barcelo Maya Palace, Mayan Riviera, Mexico

Our Poly Dream Vacation - April, 2012 Trip Report
My Parents Gave US the World - A Poly Dream PTR
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-03-2012, 09:26 PM   #93
jennyjinx3
DIS Veteran

Great update...thanks for the peek into Le Cellier, it's on our list for Sept! I just love World Showcase, and we need to try the shaved ice too!
Old 05-04-2012, 07:09 AM   #94
DaveinFallsChurch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 204charity View Post
Ahhh, the epic meltdown. LOL Although we didn't have any major "meltdowns" with our group on our trip, I can tell you that our only "moment" of the week happened at World Showcase too. Perhaps it has something to do with the park? LOL

I love it, but I think it can get a bit dry for kids.
I think that's very true that it's easy to hit a lull for the younger kids in the World Showcase area. The kids were usually occupied by Kidcot activities and the street shows but there was a stretch where not much was happening besides the scenic strolls.

Discovering A Whole New World of Disney - An October Photo Safari 2013: Trip Report /PTR
A Solo Trip to Disneyland 28 years in the Making! A Trip Report for October 16 and 17th, 2012
Our First Magical Poly Vacation! April 14-21, 2012 - Trip Report/ Live Report/ PTR

Old 05-04-2012, 07:16 AM   #95
DaveinFallsChurch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyjinx3 View Post
Great update...thanks for the peek into Le Cellier, it's on our list for Sept! I just love World Showcase, and we need to try the shaved ice too!
I think as the kids get older, I can see us spending more time and more number of days in World Showcase. There are so many restuarants and snack food items I want to try in there.

I wish I had taken more pics in Le Cellier but the lighting there is one the dimmest of all the restaurants we visited so a lot of the pictures came out unusable especially the food pics!

My next shaved ice flavor will be the "Rainbow" one!

Old 05-04-2012, 08:17 AM   #96
HalloweenNut
Rapidly becoming obsessive about all things Disney!

Just finished getting caught up on you TR. Great job! We avoided the big Meltdown but I think that was more do to luck than anything else - our DD was having such a good time there was nothing to set her off! We were very thankful we had rented the stroller for the week as I think it saved us in the sense that she was able to rest in the stroller rides and so wan't as exhausted as she might otherwise have been. Our DD tends to go hard and then burn herself out.

I'm so jealous you got to go on Haunted mansion at night. That was my one big personal disappointment with the trip in that I missed my opportunity to do so and only rode it once. I wanted so bad to see it at night, take in the new cemetery queue and take lots of photos. Oh well.

Looking forward to reading more.

Pirates, Jedi & Characters, Oh My! (aka... an excess of planning pays off!) An April 2012 Trip Report at the Polynesian
Old 05-04-2012, 08:52 AM   #97
DaveinFallsChurch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalloweenNut View Post
Just finished getting caught up on you TR. Great job! We avoided the big Meltdown but I think that was more do to luck than anything else - our DD was having such a good time there was nothing to set her off! We were very thankful we had rented the stroller for the week as I think it saved us in the sense that she was able to rest in the stroller rides and so wan't as exhausted as she might otherwise have been. Our DD tends to go hard and then burn herself out.

I'm so jealous you got to go on Haunted mansion at night. That was my one big personal disappointment with the trip in that I missed my opportunity to do so and only rode it once. I wanted so bad to see it at night, take in the new cemetery queue and take lots of photos. Oh well.

Looking forward to reading more.
Thanks!

HM was fun and definitely enjoyed the queue as well as the overall exterior ambiance of the mansion at night. And even though the entire ride takes place indoors, the night time feel definitely adds to it and feels more in sync since most ghosts come out at night, right?

Next time, I do want to read up on some of the backstories for all of the characters. I think that would even enhance things more.

Old 05-04-2012, 09:07 AM   #98
HalloweenNut

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinFallsChurch View Post
Thanks!

HM was fun and definitely enjoyed the queue as well as the overall exterior ambiance of the mansion at night. And even though the entire ride takes place indoors, the night time feel definitely adds to it and feels more in sync since most ghosts come out at night, right?

Next time, I do want to read up on some of the backstories for all of the characters. I think that would even enhance things more.
There was a soft cover coffee table book on the Haunted Mansion available at the Madame Leota cart that highlighted the design and construction of the Haunted Mansion with lots of photos/sketches and background info on the building of the attraction. I had really wanted to pick it up but thought I'd get it later when we came back at night so I wouldn't have to carry it all day. Of course that never happened and I didn't see the book anywhere else (Downtown Disney maybe?). Anyhow, I'm going to see if I can get it on Amazon.

Pirates, Jedi & Characters, Oh My! (aka... an excess of planning pays off!) An April 2012 Trip Report at the Polynesian
Old 05-04-2012, 11:47 AM   #99
DaveinFallsChurch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalloweenNut View Post
There was a soft cover coffee table book on the Haunted Mansion available at the Madame Leota cart that highlighted the design and construction of the Haunted Mansion with lots of photos/sketches and background info on the building of the attraction. I had really wanted to pick it up but thought I'd get it later when we came back at night so I wouldn't have to carry it all day. Of course that never happened and I didn't see the book anywhere else (Downtown Disney maybe?). Anyhow, I'm going to see if I can get it on Amazon.
I'll have to look into that book as well!

Old 05-04-2012, 11:53 AM   #100
HalloweenNut

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinFallsChurch View Post
I'll have to look into that book as well!
Found it on Amazon! Guess what I'm ordering for my birthday?

http://amzn.com/1423118952

Old 05-04-2012, 06:25 PM   #101
DaveinFallsChurch
DIS Veteran

A Birthday Surprise for DW

Monday April 16th Part IV - Illuminations Cruise

I think we were pretty much done with our Epcot tour at that point. It was getting close to 7pm and now it was time to head over to the Yacht Club Marina for the birthday surprise for DW. Her b-day would be another week later, but I thought it would be a lot of fun to do the Illuminations Cruise to celebrate it. I booked the cruise about 5 months earlier – sort of surprised there was availability but was happy to take it! About 3 weeks earlier, I called the private dining line for Yacht Club to order a birthday cake. I was not confident enough in my cake knowledge to custom design and order a cake so instead I went with one of their “standard” cakes. On the phone, I heard about 5 different options whiz by my ear, but once I heard the word chocolate, that’s what I ordered! When booking the cruise, they also offered the celebration decorations for the birthday for an additional charge (I can’t remember exactly how much) but I decided to decline it since I was thinking that the cake part could be a second surprise for DW after the cruise was on its way.

I wanted to keep it a surprise until it was time to head over to YC. The problem was, that several times earlier in the day, the question was asked by DW if we really had to stay until park closing or if we could turn in a little early after doing a short tour of World Showcase. So, at that point, I had to tell her what I was up to. She was very surprised and loved the idea so it all went well.

Anyway, I had to move our car before we got on the cruise. Because we had to get to Epcot for the early Akershus ADR and since monorails were not running that early in the morning, we drove and parked our minivan in the front row of the Epcot parking lot. Since our cruise ends at Yacht Club, it would require some extra work to try to get to our car from there. So, I gave instructions for the rest of the gang to find their way to International Gateway and take one of the boat shuttles to YC. I walked back to the main entrance of Epcot, took these topiary pics on my way out.

Then drove the minivan over to YC. To avoid any parking controversy , AND to save us time getting back to our room after the cruise, I used the valet parking. Met up with the family, and we sat and waited until it was 8pm while feeding snacks and hotdog to the kids.

Captain Joe was our skipper for the evening and he took us to the boat. To MY surprise, they went ahead and decorated the boat anyway with balloons and a Happy Birthday Banner on the back of the boat. There were sodas and water available in the cooler. Bags of chips and popcorns were also there. And the cake was delivered and sitting at the center. We took off and I have to say, I enjoyed the boat ride as much as the fireworks. We circled around the entire waterway starting from YC, over to Swan/Dolphin, to DHS, then turned around, passed the Boardwalk, and into Epcot.

DHS from our boat

During that boat tour, Joe told us a lot of interesting and fun stories. I thought he did an excellent job. The ride was very relaxing. Several visitors and CMs along the waterway wished DW a happy birthday. I loved the night time view of the Hollywood Tower Hotel we got from the waterway although my camera miserably failed to capture the moment.

Can you even see it? Remember what I said before about my camera? Low lighting from a moving object – not good.

Joe told us a cute story about the artist Wyland as we passed one of the restaurants where he contributed to the décor. For you Poly fans, Wyland also has a gallery in the GCH. Joe said that few years ago, Wyland had offered to draw a mural for free on a elementary school building where his wife used to work (can’t remember where). Initially, the principal declined but Joe’s wife clued him in on who the artist was and that they should take advantage of the offer. So, they agreed. One day while Wyland was working on the mural, a couple of 8-9 year old kids approached him and asked if they could help. He said yes! So the finished mural had a very polished appearing mural featuring the a couple of dolphins and other sea creatures drawn in by those two kids and everyone thought it looked perfect for the elementary school.

By the time we docked underneath the bridge between UK and France, all the other boats were already there. We roped our boat against another one. The cake was revealed.

We all sang Happy Birthday. Everyone got a slice. You know, with all the excitement surrounding the cruise and the fireworks, I honestly can’t remember how the cake tasted. I’m pretty sure it was good. I was also a little worried about the wind direction. All afternoon, I was paying attention to the wind direction and noted that it appeared to be blowing towards the general direction of UK/France pavilions. I had read that when the wind blows in that direction, it can make the illuminations viewing from the cruises a-not-so-magical experience. So when we docked, the winds were blowing slightly more towards UK and not our bridge. The show started and it was great. Even with the smoke heading in our general direction, since the winds were blowing pretty hard, the smoke cleared right away. Here are my attempts of capturing the moment – as you can see, did not have a tripod to steady the shots but some came out okay.

We had very nice views and enjoyed it a lot! We also had a very nice view of a small fire on the small island that got started when one of the remnants of a flare landed and lit the grass on fire. We first noticed it when we started smelling something really burning. If you enjoy Illuminations, I would definitely recommend the cruise. It’s always nice to have a carved out private space to watch the show. Both kids stayed awake through the end of Illuminations, then fell asleep on the ride back to YC. We thanked and tipped Joe, got our minivan from the valet, and went back to the room. It was about 10:20pm before the kids were in bed.

Next Up: Tonga Toast and Magic Kingdom!

Old 05-05-2012, 07:33 AM   #102
pwdebbie
DIS Veteran

I'd love to try a cruise someday IF I could justify the expense for just the two of us. It sounds like you had a wonderful time.
Old 05-05-2012, 07:45 AM   #103
DaveinFallsChurch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwdebbie View Post
I'd love to try a cruise someday IF I could justify the expense for just the two of us. It sounds like you had a wonderful time.
One option to consider - I learned that there are threads on DIS (I think there's one in the Community section) where DISers who reserved a cruise are looking for other DISers to join in, fill the boat to close to capacity, and share the cost. Of course the potential downside of this is, it's going to be with people who you don't know much about. I did notice that one of the boats that went out on the cruise with ours was filled with people that met using the DIS threads.

Old 05-05-2012, 08:41 AM   #104
DaveinFallsChurch
DIS Veteran

Just came across this work of art by DD and had to take a pic!

Old 05-05-2012, 08:46 AM   #105
Zuzu03
DIS Veteran

Wow, just caught up again! You've been busy! I hear you about work sapping the energy out of you - some weeks with the kids at school, it's exactly like that - i've got a very needy bunch of adolescents, but I love them dearly. Thank goodness for the weekends, though! Too cute about the meltdown, I remember a certain incident in Toontown with Emma when she was almost 4 and the line to see Mickey in his tent was really long. Mind you, we had already seen Mickey in his tent, so this was just an extra visit. DH and I decided that the line was too long and that we should do something else. Of course, Ems didn't quite agree and it was quite a meltdown. I remember other guests and CMs giving us a wide berth as they walked by and one CM said, "Oh that's nothing - last week a kid was flipping out so bad he started eating grass!" HAHAHAHA!

The Illuminations fireworks cruise looks too cool!!! That will have to go on the list for the future! And EVERY, I mean EVERY time I see shaved ice I want some, but I'm always too full of other food/snacks by the time we get to Japan so I NEVER get it! I vow that I WILL have shaved ice in June, by golly - no more excuses! Did you see that Haitian garden section? They had an incredible Frozen Coconut Rum Punch that was outstanding - DH and I had that 3 times (not all in the same day, of course). EPCOT is a foodie heaven, isn't it?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: