Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2012, 12:41 PM   #76
DaveinFallsChurch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalloweenNut View Post
Hey Dave. Just back from our own trip so I see I've got lots to get caught up on with your trip report! I'm going to follow your example and attempt a trip report of my own.
Welcome back! Hope you had a good trip. Read that the Tree of Life was closed off because a piece of the tree fell while you were there, so you probably didn't get a chance to take that path up the tree. Looking forward to seeing your trip report!

Everyone Hail To the Pumpkin Song! October 2014: TR PTR
Don't Fear the Rain, We have the Ducky of Death! - Jan '14 Trip Report
Discovering A Whole New World of Disney - An October Photo Safari 2013: Trip Report /PTR
A Winter Escape to the Enchanted Forest - January 2013 Trip Report/PTR
A Solo Trip to Disneyland 28 years in the Making! A Trip Report for October 16 and 17th, 2012
Our First Magical Poly Vacation! April 14-21, 2012 - Trip Report/ Live Report/ PTR

Old 05-02-2012, 01:04 PM   #77
Grumpy's Wife
Dollar Tree gal here
sissy fluffed, sissy fluffed!
Someone needs to pretend we've got a clue
Chocolate is a girls heaven

I just found your trip report, only read your first post but can already tell it's going to be a good one. Going back to read .

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-02-2012, 01:12 PM   #78
DaveinFallsChurch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moodyzblu View Post
Joining in ! Now I just have to get caught up.
Welcome!! Hope you enjoy what's been posted so far! It's a been a little text heavy but I figured it's all the little things that happen during your trip that makes it unique from others', right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by auprincess View Post
sounds like a fun day so far!! We did the character spot this time as well (our first time). We went right before Illuminations ~ it was also a great time to go ~ waited about 5 minutes. We weren't planning on going, either. The plan was to get to the monorail and skip Illuminations to avoid the crowd, but when we was how short the line was to meet the Fab 5 we decided to go ahead and see them!
I read on EasyWDW that the Character Spot in addition to the Land Pavilion has been staying open until 10pm but they are not advertising it. Might be a good time to visit after Illuminations as well!

Loved the character interactions at the Spot compared to what we had a year before at Chef Mickey's! Plus, everyone was dressed in their standard traditional outfits.

Discovering A Whole New World of Disney - An October Photo Safari 2013: Trip Report /PTR
A Solo Trip to Disneyland 28 years in the Making! A Trip Report for October 16 and 17th, 2012
Our First Magical Poly Vacation! April 14-21, 2012 - Trip Report/ Live Report/ PTR

Old 05-02-2012, 01:27 PM   #79
DaveinFallsChurch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy's Wife View Post
I just found your trip report, only read your first post but can already tell it's going to be a good one. Going back to read .
Welcome and thanks for joining!!

Old 05-02-2012, 02:16 PM   #80
HalloweenNut
Rapidly becoming obsessive about all things Disney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinFallsChurch View Post
Welcome back! Hope you had a good trip. Read that the Tree of Life was closed off because a piece of the tree fell while you were there, so you probably didn't get a chance to take that path up the tree. Looking forward to seeing your trip report!
Yup it was all closed off. Seriously bummed that we couldn't get up close to the tree. We found the trail no problem and went as far as we could but then ran up against a construction wall and could see workmen in the bushes further along but it wasn't until today when I found out the reason why. The other end by the Bug's Life entrance & exit had cast members letting people know the show was down for refurbishment but no word as to why. We had a fantastic trip though and for the most part it went without a hitch - great weather, low crowds and short waits. Even some pixie dust!

Pirates, Jedi & Characters, Oh My! (aka... an excess of planning pays off!) An April 2012 Trip Report at the Polynesian
Old 05-02-2012, 02:38 PM   #81
emma212010
DIS Veteran

I really want to try Ohana, but it is unavailable for when we go in June. What a great night in the MK! So fun!! Wow, what a great idea of going to get FPs for Soarin' right before rope drop! AND no line for characters!!
1997-POFQ (First Visit!), 1998-ASMo, 2001-ASM, 2003-POFQ, 2003-CBR, 2005-offsite, 2006-offsite, 2007-Poly & offsite, 2009-POR, 2010-Dolphin & Poly, 2012- POP & POFQ, 2013 June-Dolphin, 2013 July- AKL, 2014 Jan- AoA, 2014 July- CBR

Visiting Mom for the holidays! January 2014 TR (Current)
Moving Mom to FL and DBF's first Disney trip June 2013 PTR and TR
Mother/Daughter June 2012 PTR and TR
Graduation/Anniversary Trip July 2010 TR
Old 05-02-2012, 03:09 PM   #82
DaveinFallsChurch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by emma212010 View Post
I really want to try Ohana, but it is unavailable for when we go in June. What a great night in the MK! So fun!! Wow, what a great idea of going to get FPs for Soarin' right before rope drop! AND no line for characters!!
Emma, don't give up on Ohana just yet. Keep checking for ADRs on a daily basis or even more frequently! Ohana is one of the restaurants that seems to get a good amount of cancellations based on my experiences and others on DIS.

After my solo night in MK, I a solo trip to Disney could be a lot of fun. Probably not going to happen with me anytime soon. I don't think I can leave my family behind to go Disney by myself unless there's a conference I have to attend to.

Old 05-02-2012, 03:11 PM   #83
pwdebbie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Emma, don't give up on Ohana just yet. Keep checking for ADRs on a daily basis or even more frequently! Ohana is one of the restaurants that seems to get a good amount of cancellations based on my experiences and others on DIS.

After my solo night in MK, I a solo trip to Disney could be a lot of fun. Probably not going to happen with me anytime soon. I don't think I can leave my family behind to go Disney by myself unless there's a conference I have to attend to.
Do keep checking several times a day. I planned our last trip 2 1/2 months out and got 'Ohana dinner and Le Cellier lunch and dinner, which are supposedly the hardest reservations to get.
Old 05-02-2012, 03:14 PM   #84
DaveinFallsChurch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwdebbie View Post
Do keep checking several times a day. I planned our last trip 2 1/2 months out and got 'Ohana dinner and Le Cellier lunch and dinner, which are supposedly the hardest reservations to get.
Definitely!

For this past trip, I used to check for ADRs everytime I sat in front of a computer.

Old 05-02-2012, 04:55 PM   #85
auprincess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Welcome!! Hope you enjoy what's been posted so far! It's a been a little text heavy but I figured it's all the little things that happen during your trip that makes it unique from others', right?

I read on EasyWDW that the Character Spot in addition to the Land Pavilion has been staying open until 10pm but they are not advertising it. Might be a good time to visit after Illuminations as well!

Loved the character interactions at the Spot compared to what we had a year before at Chef Mickey's! Plus, everyone was dressed in their standard traditional outfits.
That is exactly why we went, and how I talked DH into going. Even though we have tons of pictures with the characters, we don't have any with them in their traditional clothes (except 1 of Mickey and Pluto at the visa greet a few years ago). All of our pics are from Chef Mickey's or AK.
April 2012 Polynesion
Old 05-02-2012, 06:20 PM   #86
DaveinFallsChurch
DIS Veteran

Learning how to say Duuuude,Financial Advice From a Piggy, And Eating Like A Canadian

Monday April 16th Part II - Epcot Day

We next headed to the Seas with Nemo Pavilion. On our way out of the Land Pavilion, there was a family walking in front of us. The adult daughter was telling her elderly parents that they were going to head over to TT next. I usually don’t try to bud in other people’s conversation, but seeing the elderly couple I just didn’t want them to trek all the way over there to find out the ride was closed. So, I told the daughter that the ride was closed starting today for s few months. They actually took it very well and adjusted their plans, thanked me, and moved on. I love how almost every visitor and not just CMs are so friendly to each other at Disney.

As we approached the Seas Pavilion, I was getting ready for what had become a traditional photo-op in front of the The Seas Pavilion sign that has Nemo figurine with it. In the past, the kids would climb up on the elevated area and was able to stand next to Nemo for a pic. Well, to my surprise, when we got there we noticed that Disney had planted all these plants around Nemo. It was impossible for anyone to climb up next to him. So we skipped the pic, walked past the seagulls next to the entrance (can anyone really pass by these seagulls without saying mine mine mine? That takes a lot of will power if you ask me) and got indoors. And as soon as we entered through the doors, that’s where we met the back of the line! I wasn’t expecting this! Wasn’t today a recommended park day by both EasyWDW and Touring Plans?? This was the longest we ever had to wait in line for any attraction at Disney during our entire stay which was only 15 minutes. I’ll still take it but not sure why it was so backed up. I think the ride was stopped on several occasions prior and during our wait so maybe that had something to do with it.

Once we finished the ride on a sea shell, we headed straight for Turtle Talk. Always a hit with our kids. DD kept her hand up pretty much to the end wanting to get picked for a question for Crush. But this was once again, not our year. One of these times, she’ll get picked. I asked her what her questions would have been if she had gotten picked and she told me it was “What do sea turtles eat?”.

Once we left the Seas, it was time to go to Innoventions. DD had been looking forward to this all morning because she wanted to do the Great Piggy Bank Adventure again like last year. She just fell in love with this attraction at Innoventions. DS had falled asleep by then so DW parked him and herself on a comfy bench inside, while DD led Grandpa and me to do the Piggy Bank. As for Innoventions attractions go, it’s actually not bad. DD just loves carrying the oversized piggy bank which acts as an electronic keycard for the three stations. The three stations are basically arcade games with the objective being trying to save as much money as you can. My favorite it is the hot air balloon one where up to three people get their own giant lever (you know, the same sized lever Wiley Coyote used to use for his ACME gadgets to catch Roadrunner? Oh ooops, wrong animation company reference!) and they try to coordinate to get the hot air balloon on the screen move towards those shiny gold coins.

DD once again had a blast and went on it again with Grandpa alone. DW was perfectly happy staying put in her seat with DS so I joined them and relaxed. I also went and got us a ticket for Kimpossible in Innoventions to pick up while we were near International Gateway. DD got to play the piggy game twice and then it was time for us to head out towards our lunch ADR.

We had a 1:35pm ADR at Le Cellier! While we were waiting for our table, the kids each picked up a “Duffy on Stick” at the Kidcot station which is right by the restaurant and spent time coloring. I took some of these pics while waiting. I have to say, Canada Pavilion landscape was one of my favorites at Epcot.

It wasn’t too long before we were seated and I was ready to try and decide for myself whether the food was worth the hype!

All week, one of the debates I was having with myself was “What am I going to order at Le Cellier?” It came down to two items. Either the Filet Mignon or the House Burger, both of which I heard great things about. I also wanted some poutine to go along with it. At the last minute, when the server asked what I wanted, my mouth said the House Burger. And it was goooooooood. DD ordered from the kids menu but she ordered the famous cheese soup as her appetizer. So naturally, I tried some of that as well and that was good. DW ordered the salmon sliders which she said she wasn’t too fond of. I think the sliders were a relatively new addition to the menu and I had heard mixed reviews about it. DFIL had the Pork Chop and thought it was excellent. We had a great meal but no room for dessert. We pretty much waddled out of the place.

Next Up: A Meltdown to Remember in Germany.

Old 05-03-2012, 10:14 AM   #87
DaveinFallsChurch
DIS Veteran

It's been a pretty busy week at work. Have been staring at my Disney pictures during lunch breaks to keep my energy up. Some weeks, the hospital can just absolutely sap my spirits.

As another diversion, I've decided to invest in a DSLR camera. After combing through my pictures from Disney which many were blurry or grainy in the dark, I'm now wishing that I had a DSLR for the trip. Oh well, better late than never. Did some online reading and research, and am leaning towards the Canon Rebel T3i. Would love to hear recommendations or thoughts on DSLR from fellow DISers!!

Old 05-03-2012, 10:59 AM   #88
HalloweenNut
Rapidly becoming obsessive about all things Disney!

Quote:
As another diversion, I've decided to invest in a DSLR camera. After combing through my pictures from Disney which many were blurry or grainy in the dark, I'm now wishing that I had a DSLR for the trip. Oh well, better late than never. Did some online reading and research, and am leaning towards the Canon Rebel T3i. Would love to hear recommendations or thoughts on DSLR from fellow DISers!!
Unless you're set on a DSLR another option is a superzoom bridge type camera. They call them bridge because they combine the ease of point & shoot with the larger body, manual controls and super zoom. I got a new Canon SX40 before our trip and loved the shots I was able to get with it. When we were watching the performance in front of the castle for example we were well back in the crowd but I was able to zoom right in to capture the whole stage or even a single performer. Not to hijack your thread but here are few shots to show you what it's capable of. All these were taken hand-held from the same vantage point. I really love this camera!

Pirates, Jedi & Characters, Oh My! (aka... an excess of planning pays off!) An April 2012 Trip Report at the Polynesian
Old 05-03-2012, 11:50 AM   #89
auprincess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
It's been a pretty busy week at work. Have been staring at my Disney pictures during lunch breaks to keep my energy up. Some weeks, the hospital can just absolutely sap my spirits.

I have a Nikon D5000. I like it, but I really need to learn how to use it. Had it about a year and it is still on the auto setting.
April 2012 Polynesion
Old 05-03-2012, 03:39 PM   #90
DaveinFallsChurch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalloweenNut View Post
Unless you're set on a DSLR another option is a superzoom bridge type camera. They call them bridge because they combine the ease of point & shoot with the larger body, manual controls and super zoom. I got a new Canon SX40 before our trip and loved the shots I was able to get with it. When we were watching the performance in front of the castle for example we were well back in the crowd but I was able to zoom right in to capture the whole stage or even a single performer. Not to hijack your thread but here are few shots to show you what it's capable of. All these were taken hand-held from the same vantage point. I really love this camera!
Thanks! I was looking at those models online as well. Want to try them out at the store. Your pictures look very crisp even at higher zoom levels!

Quote:
Originally Posted by auprincess View Post
I have a Nikon D5000. I like it, but I really need to learn how to use it. Had it about a year and it is still on the auto setting.
Your comments made me look into that model and it looks nice and has gotten good reviews! I don't know why I wasn't looking at the Nikon models. I guess it's because our last 3 cameras have been Canons so I was for some reason mentally locked into those. I'll definitely have to try the Nikons out when I'm at the store.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: