Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2012, 08:40 PM   #151
DaveinFallsChurch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalloweenNut View Post
Beautiful pics!! (imagine what you'll be able to do next time with the new camera! ) We were waking up around 6:00am most mornings and I peeked outside once and saw a beautiful sunrise but didn't take the time to step outside with the camera. Now I'm really wishing I had.
My point and shoot camera actually came through for me for these pics!

Don't Fear the Rain, We have the Ducky of Death! - Jan '14 Trip Report
Discovering A Whole New World of Disney - An October Photo Safari 2013: Trip Report /PTR
A Winter Escape to the Enchanted Forest - January 2013 Trip Report/PTR
A Solo Trip to Disneyland 28 years in the Making! A Trip Report for October 16 and 17th, 2012
Our First Magical Poly Vacation! April 14-21, 2012 - Trip Report/ Live Report/ PTR

Old 05-10-2012, 10:13 PM   #152
jennyjinx3
DIS Veteran

How nice those pics are of early morning Poly...makes me sooo want to be there!!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-11-2012, 08:20 AM   #153
DaveinFallsChurch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyjinx3 View Post
How nice those pics are of early morning Poly...makes me sooo want to be there!!
Same here!

Discovering A Whole New World of Disney - An October Photo Safari 2013: Trip Report /PTR
A Solo Trip to Disneyland 28 years in the Making! A Trip Report for October 16 and 17th, 2012
Our First Magical Poly Vacation! April 14-21, 2012 - Trip Report/ Live Report/ PTR

Old 05-11-2012, 09:41 AM   #154
solana131
DIS Veteran

You are really making me regret my decision to save some money and switch to POFQ Beautiful sunrise pics!

Feb'12 TR: How do I go back to a world that doesn't have fireworks every night?
July'12 TR: July 2012. Yes it was hot. Yes it was crowded. Yes it was FUN!
August'13 TR *In Progress*: Mom...am I supposed to have shoes on??
Old 05-11-2012, 02:45 PM   #155
204charity
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinFallsChurch View Post
But I like being addicted to Disney!

Hi Charity! Hadn't seen you on the boards the past few days!
You lodging at AKL Villa is definitely a good deal where basically you have it under $150 per night (which is on par for a Moderate resort pricing for off-peak season) for a Deluxe.

If I remember correctly, 2012 pricing for packages from Disney were not released until July of 2011. So if we go by the same timeline, it should be another couple of months before you can do anything online. I think I remember reading somewhere you could still book for room-only ressies over the phone if you call Disney directly.

Another thing to consider. The dates you're quoting for are one of the most off-season times of the year. Our trip in 2011 was practically the same week as yours. In the past few years, Disney had a LOT of promotions for this period including room discounts or free dining plans. No guarantee that this will be the case for 2013 since Disney has been doing quite well financially the past couple of years, but the odds are in your favor. Depending on how deep the discounts are, you may be able to go even cheaper than your current total.

You can also see if you can get a personal PIN. I would register an online account on Disneyworld.com under your husband's name and email so that Disney's system doesn't recognize your family (They tend to send more PINs to people who they believe are first timers), and price and save a few vacations once they become available online in a couple of months. Usually, that results in an email with a PIN. I tried this under my DFIL for our last trip and he got multiple PINs although we never ended up using them because the room-only discount for the public made up for it.

As for the dining plan, when you have time, I would recommend calculating out your meal expenses and seeing if the dining plan will actually save you money or not. I did this for our last trip, by looking up menu prices from allears.net and calculating the amount for each meal for the whole family and found out that at best we would break even by purchasing a dining plan if we ordered the most expensive items on the menu. So, we decided not to purchase it.
Great advice all around! I think I am hoping the price of airfare will go down at some point, cause that seems to be where the chunk of the money is going right now. It's painful - cause DH and I could go on an all-inclusive holiday for a week ALL IN for the price of airfare to Disney alone!! Trying to remind myself that it will all be worth it in the end - cause there is no magic that compares to Disney magic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by solana131 View Post
You are really making me regret my decision to save some money and switch to POFQ Beautiful sunrise pics!
Oh you - just STOP IT! POFQ is a lovely spot....and I bet you can even find some beautiful sunrise pics from their if you look hard enough.
April, 2012 -Disney's Polynesian Resort
November, 2012 - Barcelo Maya Palace, Mayan Riviera, Mexico

Our Poly Dream Vacation - April, 2012 Trip Report
My Parents Gave US the World - A Poly Dream PTR
Old 05-11-2012, 02:53 PM   #156
solana131
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 204charity View Post
Oh you - just STOP IT! POFQ is a lovely spot....and I bet you can even find some beautiful sunrise pics from their if you look hard enough.
I know...I know...I'm sorry! Here I am getting back on the POFQ bandwagon:

Feb'12 TR: How do I go back to a world that doesn't have fireworks every night?
July'12 TR: July 2012. Yes it was hot. Yes it was crowded. Yes it was FUN!
August'13 TR *In Progress*: Mom...am I supposed to have shoes on??
Old 05-11-2012, 03:27 PM   #157
204charity
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I know...I know...I'm sorry! Here I am getting back on the POFQ bandwagon:
. Your trip is coming up fast! I'm sooooo jealous!

Old 05-12-2012, 07:02 AM   #158
DaveinFallsChurch
DIS Veteran

Traveling in Ohio for a wedding this weekend. Found out thus morning that DW packed the Disney Resorts Shampoo and conditioners. You know how certain scents can bring back memories? This is one of them.

Old 05-12-2012, 07:04 AM   #159
pwdebbie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Sunrise is quite nice at POFQ, I can assure. I am an early riser so I get out of the room and head down to the river and watch the day come alive.
Old 05-12-2012, 07:06 AM   #160
pwdebbie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Traveling in Ohio for a wedding this weekend. Found out thus morning that DW packed the Disney Resorts Shampoo and conditioners. You know how certain scents can bring back memories? This is one of them.
Every once in a while when I need a mood lifter, I'll pull out one of my Disney shampoos and savor the scent while I shower.
Old 05-12-2012, 08:33 AM   #161
204charity
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Scent is the biggest trigger for memories. Why do you think Disney has spent all that moola on their scent-marketing?? Smart, smart, smart!! Speaking of scent-memories, DD and I recently found a perfume that smells EXACTLY like the Poly Lobby for those that are interested......"Lancome O Oui" My SIL sent me a scarf for my upcoming birthday, and when I opened it I was instantly slapped in the face by memories of the Poly. I called her immediately and asked her why it smelt that way, and she informed me she had given it a squirt of her perfume!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwdebbie View Post
Sunrise is quite nice at POFQ, I can assure. I am an early riser so I get out of the room and head down to the river and watch the day come alive.
I am SURE I saw pics once of the sunrise there. And I keep reading reviews on POFQ and it seems to be the best of the moderates, for size and transportation. It apparently doesn't have the best food options or pool, but you can share with POR, so I think that makes up for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwdebbie View Post
Every once in a while when I need a mood lifter, I'll pull out one of my Disney shampoos and savor the scent while I shower.
I didn't love the smell of the blue shampoo, but I did buy some soaps at Basin in the GF, and I also have the H2O Aftersun Gel, so that takes me back.

Old 05-12-2012, 01:08 PM   #162
Zuzu03
DIS Veteran

Awww, Dave, I'm so glad you did the sunrise photo shoot! Isn't it magical?? And the Poly is such a photogenic resort!!! It's like you have the whole place to yourself first thing in the morning, isn't it?
Old 05-13-2012, 05:55 AM   #163
DaveinFallsChurch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuzu03 View Post
Awww, Dave, I'm so glad you did the sunrise photo shoot! Isn't it magical?? And the Poly is such a photogenic resort!!! It's like you have the whole place to yourself first thing in the morning, isn't it?
Yes, it was very magical! That experience alone makes me want to go back.

Old 05-13-2012, 06:41 AM   #164
Zuzu03
DIS Veteran

There's a whole thread about Disney scents - it's really funny, we all have those scents that trigger some great vacation memories!! For us, it's the smell of the Dolphin lobby - white tea - soooooo pretty! And the GCH at the Poly (mix of chlorine and humid tropical vegetation). Oh, and I LOVE the smell of the H2O dry oil mosturizer - always reminds me of our trip in 2010 for Emma's graduation.
Old 05-13-2012, 09:07 PM   #165
DaveinFallsChurch
DIS Veteran

Was visiting with family in Ohio after the wedding today when brother in law asked me if I could help him with designing touring plans for their first trip to Disney next month. I said of course, and he takes his laptop out and pulls out a blank Excel spreadsheet form. That's when I knew he meant business and I was more than happy to indulge!

Spent two hours with him and got his Epcot and two MK days completed. Will have to finish the AK and DHS days by email since we're driving home tomorrow am. I was worried that I would be too detail oriented with my planning style, so I let him take the lead but it turned out that he wanted as much detail as possible. So we both had fun planning the days out.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: