Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2014, 08:08 AM   #1
Fantasmiss
DIS Veteran

Talking Dream or Magic? Or no cruise?

We're considering a 3 night Bahamian cruise itinerary A in May for our first cruise! Can anyone please help us answer a few questions?

1 Would you choose Dream or Magic? Why? (Which ship has the best entertainment, food, etc., which ship is nicer, more fun etc. All opinions very welcome!)

2 Is May a good time? Is the sea calm? I sometimes get seasick.

3 We can either do the cruise and 2 weeks in WDW or no cruise and 3 weeks in WDW. What would you choose and why? (We've been to WDW 8 times, last time in Nov 2013, but we just love it! Would be fun to try something new though...)

Thank you!
May 2008 - WDW - All Star Sports - 2 weeks
Jan 2009 - WDW - All Star Music + All Star Movies - 2 weeks - birthday trip
Feb/Mar 2010 - DLP - Santa Fe - 6 days
Jan 2011 - WDW - All Star Movies & Pop Century - 17 days - birthday trip
May 2011 - WDW - All Star Sports - 17 days - anniversary trip
Nov 2011 - DLP - Hotel Cheyenne - 6 days
Oct/Nov 2012 - WDW - All Star Sports+Art of Animation - 3 weeks - 10th Disney Trip!
Oct/Nov 2013 - WDW - All Star Sports - 25 days - birthday trip

MAR 2014 - DLP - HOTEL CHEYENNE - 5 DAYS - BIRTHDAY TRIP!
Fantasmiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 08:13 AM   #2
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasmiss View Post
We're considering a 3 night Bahamian cruise itinerary A in May for our first cruise! Can anyone please help us answer a few questions? Many people have found the 3-night is just too short, and recommend at least 4 days.

1 Would you choose Dream or Magic? Why? (Which ship has the best entertainment, food, etc., which ship is nicer, more fun etc. All opinions very welcome!) Food is comparable. The Dream is huge. The Magic was recently refurbished, has a lot less passengers and feels more intimate.

2 Is May a good time? Is the sea calm? I sometimes get seasick. May is as calm as any. If the weather gets windy, the waves will be higher.

3 We can either do the cruise and 2 weeks in WDW or no cruise and 3 weeks in WDW. What would you choose and why? (We've been to WDW 8 times, last time in Nov 2013, but we just love it! Would be fun to try something new though...)

Thank you!
I would vote for a 7-day cruise, although that would cut back on your time at WDW.
jdb in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-08-2014, 08:39 AM   #3
GatorMomInNC
DIS Veteran

Quote:
We're considering a 3 night Bahamian cruise itinerary A in May for our first cruise! Can anyone please help us answer a few questions?

1 Would you choose Dream or Magic? Why? (Which ship has the best entertainment, food, etc., which ship is nicer, more fun etc. All opinions very welcome!)

2 Is May a good time? Is the sea calm? I sometimes get seasick.

Thank you!
Dream is bigger, more to do.... do crowds bother you? I would also say do at least 4 nights, 3 is too short. A week would be ideal...

What is it you like about the parks? That might help with advice. If You're looking for non-stop excitement, that is not what the cruise s about. If you are looking for relaxing family time, with lots of Disney touches and Magic, THAT is DCL.
GatorMomInNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:05 AM   #4
ptcbass
Mouseketeer

This year we are doing a short cruise at the end of our WDW vacation. Great way to relax after the go go go mentality at WDW.

1995 CBR, 2000 OKW, 2005 POP, 2008 ASSp, 2010 Pop and POR, 2014 POR and DCL Dream
ptcbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:25 AM   #5
robhawk
DIS Veteran

4 day Dream cruise with WDW. Food and entertainment will be somewhat similar. Weeklong Fantasy cruise would be even better.
Once you cruise you will be hooked. It was hard for us to get the kids to go back to WDW. Us too!
Get a midship cabin to help with movement.
Old 04-08-2014, 09:29 AM   #6
squirrel
DIS Veteran

I'd do the Magic. 3 days is short. I did 4 on the Wonder for my first cruise and it felt short.

3 days on a larger ship (Dream) would not be relaxing. I'd want to try and do everything.
WDW (Pop) Sept. 5-19 2008 Free Dining
WDW (Pop) Oct. 1-15 2009 Free Dining
WDW (Pop) Sept. 30-Oct. 14 2010 Free Dining
WDW (Pop-BC) Sept. 29-Oct. 13 2011 Free Dining
Wonder and DLR (BWPPI) Sept. 10-20 2012
Wonder and DLR (DI&S) Sept. 9-21 2013
squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:35 AM   #7
momof2n2
I homeschool. What's your superpower? ♥

3 weeks in WDW would do me in, but if I had these resources (of time & money) I'd do 7 night cruise and as many days left doing WDW (or other FL) with what I had left.

momof2n2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:43 AM   #8
emilyann415
DIS Veteran

I like both ships for entirely different reasons. I like the smaller ships because they just don't seem as crowded to me, easier to get around on and not so many stairs (we never take elevators on a cruise and so far have never gained any weight). But those extra couple floors are a killer on the newer ships. I do like the extra things on the newer ships. I like the golf and the Aqua Duck on the newer ships but the pools are almost always out as it's too crowded on the bigger ships and it's like people soup.

I do agree that if you can swing it and it works with your schedule I'd definitely pick the 4 night. Our first cruise was a 3 night and was so short. It's really only 2 1/2 days really. I just got the hang of things and it was time to get off!
emilyann415 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:44 AM   #9
emilyann415
DIS Veteran

Oh and we love Disneyworld too......SO much but we LOVE LOVE LOVE cruising with Disney.....so much more relaxing and full of Disney magic!!!!
emilyann415 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:53 AM   #10
OrangeCountyCommuter
DIS Veteran

Magic! Great ship, still small enough for good service.

(Personally the Dream is just another "Mega ship" it's cute but the Disney pixie dust isn't there and the pool is beyond bad!)

Since it sounds like you haven't cruised I would go for a short cruise. While folks on here tend to like cruising that does not make it universal. I personally like the parks a lot better then the ships.
OrangeCountyCommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 09:59 AM   #11
darkwing818
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilyann415 View Post
Oh and we love Disneyworld too......SO much but we LOVE LOVE LOVE cruising with Disney.....so much more relaxing and full of Disney magic!!!!
All 12 of our Disney cruises have had at least one WDW component. However our last 10 have had at least 2 to 3 days prior to the cruise & probably 4 or 5 after. In fact our 7 day cruise on the Fantasy this May has 2 days WDW prior & 5 days after. In October we'll be on the Dream (4 day) with 2 days before & 3 days after, scheduling constraints. As far as choosing a ship we've sailed all 4 & have no favorite (we'd recommend each). My suggestion would be to pick the cruise itinerary that looks best for you & then add the WDW component. Good Luck, no bad choices...
darkwing818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 10:00 AM   #12
melglnh2o
Mouseketeer

I would also recommend the 7-day cruise with WDW with the remaining time. 3 days is just way too short but if 3 days is all you have (which doesn't seem the case for you) then it certainly is better than nothing. Try the cruise! You will be hooked.
melglnh2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 10:05 AM   #13
snchpnz
Mouseketeer

I've done a 3 day on the the Magic (December) and a 3 day on the Dream (February) and I prefer the Magic. It has been recently renovated and looks beautiful. The Magic is way easier to get around, less crowded and more relaxing. The adult areas on the Magic are also nicer. They feel more intimate and the live entertainment is better. If you are looking for a thrill the aquadunk is a million times better than the aquaduck. I rode the aquadunk on the Magic over and over and had a blast. I rode the aquaduck on the Dream once and I was full of bruises the next day. There was absolutely nothing on the Dream that would make me choose it over the Magic. Just my opinion
snchpnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 10:13 AM   #14
noah4198
Earning My Ears

Quote:
We're considering a 3 night Bahamian cruise itinerary A in May for our first cruise! Can anyone please help us answer a few questions? 1 Would you choose Dream or Magic? Why? (Which ship has the best entertainment, food, etc., which ship is nicer, more fun etc. All opinions very welcome!) 2 Is May a good time? Is the sea calm? I sometimes get seasick. 3 We can either do the cruise and 2 weeks in WDW or no cruise and 3 weeks in WDW. What would you choose and why? (We've been to WDW 8 times, last time in Nov 2013, but we just love it! Would be fun to try something new though...) Thank you!
We just completed our first cruise ever on the Dream for a 3 night last minute vacation. We just moved to South Florida and got a nice deal using Florida resident rates. We loved it and can't wait to go back. It is short but not having cruised before, we thought it was a good way to try it. I'd love a longer cruise next time but would do a 3 night again. A 3 night cruise is still worth it and can be very relaxing. We love WDW also but really enjoyed our cruise. Our girls loved the Aqua Duck and skipped a show to ride it over and over again. They made that choice happily and loved the other shows they did see.

I get carsick sometimes and was worried about that. I did get the prescription patch and besides dry mouth for a few hours, had no issues with it and actually loved the movement of the boat. I had Bonine with me but didn't use it. Drinking a carbonated beverage alleviated any discomfort for the short time my mouth was dry.

I have nothing to compare it to but I thought the Dream was lovely. Go a day early and take a trip to Kennedy Space Center if you haven't done that before.

Have fun!
noah4198 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 10:52 AM   #15
TwinPrincessMermaids
DIS Veteran

We did a 3 Day Dream last mid April and it was phenomenal. We have been to the parks MANY times. We can't wait for the Magic next month! May is my favorite time to cruise (or spring anyway). THis has been a very stormy year, so who ever knows? But my April Dream in Bahamas last year was smooth as can be! Its after winter when it can sometimes be hard to dock at Castaway and water is cold, but before Hurricane Season starts (almost a guaranteed deal breaker for me).

Frankly, the idea of more than a week in the parks sounds ridiculously daunting. Get a few days in the park (if that means 2 weeks to you, than whatever you like) AND go on the longest cruise you can.

Land and Sea is perfect, but too much land is killer on the feet. The cruise brings the parks to you and brings you to Castaway Cay, which to me, feels like Disney's 5th Park out in the middle of the Ocean....

18 Pounds Lost since Dec 24!

~04/13 DCL Dream & WDW~ ~02/13 CCL Dream & WDW~ ~02/12 CCL Conquest~ ~02/11 CCL Triumph~ ~01/07 CCL Holiday~ ~12/02 RCCL Legend OTS Hawaii~~6/00 Renais. CL Barcelona - Portugal~ ~99 RCCL Grandeur OTS East Carib.~ ~93 RCCL Sovereign OTS East Carib.~
TwinPrincessMermaids is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: