Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Other Lands > Australia
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2012, 05:24 AM   #556
WAMUMOF4
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by alicia1506 View Post
and since it seems to be rant day.. i'll add my rant to the pile...

so tuesday i get told at 10.50 that i have an 11am meeting with my manager and my manager's manager.

get pulled into an office in the middle of the company with glass walls, just the 3 of us and told very politely that i'm not meeting the requirements of my employment, and this is a formal hearing about my absenteeism. i'm warned that if it continues, 'disciplinary action' will be taken. my manager is there to take notes apparently.. this is a meeting where it is carefully explained that i have exceeded the allocated quota of leave, it's impacting the business and i need to shape up or ship out. they're not questioning the validity of my leave, but you know... it needs to stop.

then they ask for details. why was i taking so much leave? why have i not been doing my job? etc etc. i tell them the same thing i have told them all along. escalating medical issues leading to gall bladder infection, diagnosis, treatment and eventual removal. that was a kind of one time event. sure, it lasted the better part of approx 6 months from onset to extraction, but it's over. it's not like it's gonna grow back... yeah, they say, but what about the 2 days you had off last week? oh, you mean when i got electrocuted and couldn't use my hand/arm etc? that little thing? yeah... how was i supposed to control that one, genius?

but i smile and utter polite niceties about how i understand their position, and that i will agree to fortnightly meetings to monitor my absence... if i have one more day in the next 3 months, i'm gone... so come hell or high water or bubonic plague or car accident or missing limbs... i'm going to be at work as i don't relish having to look for a new job in this current climate.

i had to sign a document that says that i agree to their 'disciplinary action' if i have more leave... oh, and a project that i spearheaded and shepherded and freaking well implemented has been taken from me and given to someone else in the team.... because apparently if you've had a period of indefinite leave, it means that you don't get development opportunities til you're a better employee.

and i get it, i really do. they pay me to be at work and they don't pay me when i'm sick. but it's not like my gall bladder is going to grow back. i have a medical certificate for each absence (and those aren't cheap with the cost of visiting the doc these days) plus the loss of pay for each absence. i've complied with their leave policy and i disclosed to them details of my health that i wouldn't even share with family, all in the hopes of making them see that i am being completely open and honest about a genuine medical issue here... but all they see is the bottom line & # of days absent. so... that's where i am at.

oh, and i got my performance appraisal today. Exceeding expectations on every single performance criteria, and for some of them, exceeding the exceeding expectations criteria.

so on the one hand... i suck and they want me to shape up or ship out.

on the other hand... model employee.

Gosh Alicia it sounds like you've got workplace bullying going on there, I hope when you get back from your trip your able to secure another job where they appreciate you

battymum i would be if that was me DS16 has been having driving lessons and they don't talk to him about anything other than driving which is is exactly what we are paying them to do, maybe its worth a call to the company.
Old 06-07-2012, 06:55 AM   #557
becpee
I see sock puppets

Quote:

so tuesday i get told at 10.50 that i have an 11am meeting with my manager and my manager's manager.

get pulled into an office in the middle of the company with glass walls, just the 3 of us and told very politely that i'm not meeting the requirements of my employment, and this is a formal hearing about my absenteeism. i'm warned that if it continues, 'disciplinary action' will be taken. my manager is there to take notes apparently.. this is a meeting where it is carefully explained that i have exceeded the allocated quota of leave, it's impacting the business and i need to shape up or ship out. they're not questioning the validity of my leave, but you know... it needs to stop.

then they ask for details. why was i taking so much leave? why have i not been doing my job? etc etc. i tell them the same thing i have told them all along. escalating medical issues leading to gall bladder infection, diagnosis, treatment and eventual removal. that was a kind of one time event. sure, it lasted the better part of approx 6 months from onset to extraction, but it's over. it's not like it's gonna grow back... yeah, they say, but what about the 2 days you had off last week? oh, you mean when i got electrocuted and couldn't use my hand/arm etc? that little thing? yeah... how was i supposed to control that one, genius?

but i smile and utter polite niceties about how i understand their position, and that i will agree to fortnightly meetings to monitor my absence... if i have one more day in the next 3 months, i'm gone... so come hell or high water or bubonic plague or car accident or missing limbs... i'm going to be at work as i don't relish having to look for a new job in this current climate.

i had to sign a document that says that i agree to their 'disciplinary action' if i have more leave... oh, and a project that i spearheaded and shepherded and freaking well implemented has been taken from me and given to someone else in the team.... because apparently if you've had a period of indefinite leave, it means that you don't get development opportunities til you're a better employee.

and i get it, i really do. they pay me to be at work and they don't pay me when i'm sick. but it's not like my gall bladder is going to grow back. i have a medical certificate for each absence (and those aren't cheap with the cost of visiting the doc these days) plus the loss of pay for each absence. i've complied with their leave policy and i disclosed to them details of my health that i wouldn't even share with family, all in the hopes of making them see that i am being completely open and honest about a genuine medical issue here... but all they see is the bottom line & # of days absent. so... that's where i am at.

oh, and i got my performance appraisal today. Exceeding expectations on every single performance criteria, and for some of them, exceeding the exceeding expectations criteria.

so on the one hand... i suck and they want me to shape up or ship out.

on the other hand... model employee.

Umm WT heck?

These people in your workplace were probably the bullies at school

I am putting my "concerns" in writing and will be delivering it tomorrow, the thing I liked about this school was they have 4 basic beliefs which cover all situations, which is fine if the school will acknowledge when the beliefs are broken, but in this case they are not.

Sept 2001 DL, Oct 2009 DL PPH, Sept 2012 DCL Western Caribbean, WDW Coronado Springs, Oct 2012 DL Fairfield Inn

Sept 2014 DCL Eastern Caribbean, WDW BWV, DL

becpee is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-07-2012, 06:59 AM   #558
becpee
I see sock puppets

Quote:
Originally Posted by australiankaren View Post
I cant stand seeing the little ones getting bullied, I'm on it like a flash when I see it....why are we so cruel to each other?????

MY DH was bullied in yr 10,way before anti bullying policy was popular and he still relives the pain of it 25+ years later. It scars the soul.He only mentioned it again last night, so those wounds run deep, even with successful middle aged men.

So if I could ever get my hands on those guys who did it to him......but funny he bumped into one of them a few years ago...it turned out he was actually working as a contractor for DH, so karma is a B*tch...
So true, I was also bullied at school and it never leaves you, although karma has come back to bite my bullies as one of them is a drug affected scum bag who is ****ed in the head, it's a pity she bred...

Sept 2001 DL, Oct 2009 DL PPH, Sept 2012 DCL Western Caribbean, WDW Coronado Springs, Oct 2012 DL Fairfield Inn

Old 06-07-2012, 07:31 AM   #559
alicia1506
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by becpee View Post
So true, I was also bullied at school and it never leaves you, although karma has come back to bite my bullies as one of them is a drug affected scum bag who is ****ed in the head, it's a pity she bred...
yeah karma got my bullies too... little consolation though when you don't like the person you see in the mirror cause all those taunts and fears and doubts and horrid things still lurk inside you

me (alicia): dbf (carlo):
2011 vacation - Of Mice, and Wizards and Pirates, oh my!

2013 trip - 3 castles and a Disney boat - a work in progress
alicia1506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 11:11 AM   #560
BemaniAK
Mouseketeer

Quote:

so tuesday i get told at 10.50 that i have an 11am meeting with my manager and my manager's manager...
[More words here]
http://www.fairwork.gov.au/Pages/default.aspx
If it escalates further go straight here.
If you have a good Union (Or a union at all) that you trust, go to them first.
Your managers will be incredibly displeased with you and will likely keep a close eye on you for any legitimate reasons to boot you out (But given your performance appraisal that is unlikely) but they will think twice about doing something this ridiculous again.

You probably already know all the outlets to get this problem looked at, I just thought I'd chime and mention: Employers incredibly scared of fair work officials and good Unions, especially when they know (and trust me, they know) they're doing the wrong thing.
When I worked retail last year just about every member of Staff was used to giving up their 15 minute paid breaks but clocking them in and out anyway, after putting up with it for a month and getting ridiculed by managers for demanding the right to take them I called up the SDA and each member of staff got a personalized note from the managers about the importance of breaks, problem apparently hasn't resurfaced since I left.

Last edited by BemaniAK; 06-07-2012 at 11:20 AM.
BemaniAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 05:50 PM   #561
alicia1506
DIS Veteran

i would really like to turn this work situation around though, and don't want to leave just before we go on a big holiday.

plus, i will need references for the last several year's worth of work if applying for a new job, so they could either say 'oh, we had a lot of issues with absenteeism and we are currently undertaking 'performance management' or in 6 months time 'she's a great employee, and oh by the way, there was an isolated issue with absences but it was due to a medical situation that has since been resolved' ... i know which one i would like better if i was a prospective employer.

so i'm going to stick it out and just show them how awesome i can be...

then reconsider my options when we get back from our trip

168 days to go!!!

me (alicia): dbf (carlo):
2011 vacation - Of Mice, and Wizards and Pirates, oh my!

2013 trip - 3 castles and a Disney boat - a work in progress
alicia1506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:33 PM   #562
BecBennett
Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarves are not happy.

Everyone at work is eating kebabs and now I want one!!! I must be good! but if I don't leave for lunch soon I know what I'll be eating
Old 06-07-2012, 10:36 PM   #563
australiankaren
I do love me my free H20...thank you Mickey.....DVC member BLT & VB....I HATE #MYDISNEYEXPERIENCE

I went and had a slurpee @ 11 this morning ...needed the sugar, but didn't get the krispee kreames....

everyone, take a deep breathe and smell the long weekend...yummo.....
australiankaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 04:14 AM   #564
LizfromOz
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I went and had a slurpee @ 11 this morning ...needed the sugar, but didn't get the krispee kreames....

I spent my day being constantly interrupted and got absolutely no work done, we were short staffed and the kiddies were restless. When I left work something came over me and before I knew it I had stopped off at IGA and found myself stuffing a big Freddo Frog my mouth on the drive home.
It was goooood Made me feel better and took my stress away!
LizfromOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 06:02 AM   #565
becpee
I see sock puppets

Quote:

I had a caramello chocolate and a bottle of coke for morning tea

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizfromOz View Post
I spent my day being constantly interrupted and got absolutely no work done, we were short staffed and the kiddies were restless. When I left work something came over me and before I knew it I had stopped off at IGA and found myself stuffing a big Freddo Frog my mouth on the drive home.
It was goooood Made me feel better and took my stress away!
Endorphins! Thats what I tell everybody LOL

I have a very precious co-worker, I made a comment on Faceache about the suburb in which I work (where she lives) and she's gotten all snarky about it.
I want to tell her to "Get a loife Sharon"
If I said half of what I wanted to say i'd be unemployed, which means i'm great at one thing, holding my tongue

Old 06-08-2012, 07:32 AM   #566
australiankaren
I do love me my free H20...thank you Mickey.....DVC member BLT & VB....I HATE #MYDISNEYEXPERIENCE

some people need a sense of humour...others need a life.....

at least you have us
Old 06-08-2012, 07:46 AM   #567
becpee
I see sock puppets

Quote:
some people need a sense of humour...others need a life.....

at least you have us
LOL I need a life (with no Faceache, it just gets me into trouble)

I'm just debating with myself whether to delete her or not, I know it's very schoolyard but I do have to work with her and clearly she's a bit precious, she might just cry...

Old 06-08-2012, 07:52 AM   #568
australiankaren

i believe in de friending people...i now have 3 friends seriously,i do.....

twitter is my drug of choice now no drama, no angst
Old 06-08-2012, 08:04 AM   #569
becpee
I see sock puppets

Quote:
i believe in de friending people...i now have 3 friends seriously,i do.....

twitter is my drug of choice now no drama, no angst
You follow anybody good?

I have a few gooduns.

Joan Rivers
Jeremy Piven
Kevin Smith
Neil Patrick Harris

Old 06-08-2012, 08:22 AM   #570
australiankaren

i follow star trek characters and airlines......yep I'm a freak...

oh, and my friend at work who keeps me up to date re radiohead (who i really dont understand but it bonds us)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: