Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Other Lands > Australia
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-2012, 10:39 PM   #1516
alicia1506
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ofus View Post
How did it go last night? If you are still on bed hungover, I will take that as a 'manageable with alcohol'
turns out it was too hot to consume great quantities of alcohol, so just had 1 drink, a whole heap of water, and then i went to bed.

it was ... ok. i got to hold my nephew for the first time (omg, he is so adorable, and smelt so yummy -- just on 7 months old) but we get together so infrequently, and for such small amounts of time that it's just a giant mess of noise and confusion and so on. afterwards i always feel vaguely unhappy as though i went to a lot of time/effort for very little reward... i am the outcast of the family, the one that has nothing in common with the others, so i usually end up sitting on the sidelines, observing. oh, to be one of the favourites

but i got to see my family and catch up, so that was good and i appreciated the time we did get to spend together, and carlo got his birthday presents, so all was essentially good.

my sister may not be coming on our trip next year, so i am trying to contingency plan today - trying to decide between [disney, new york, chicago and san fran] or [disney plus the 14 night eastbound repo cruise] or some other variation... too many options
Old 10-21-2012, 05:30 AM   #1517
5ofus
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by alicia1506

turns out it was too hot to consume great quantities of alcohol, so just had 1 drink, a whole heap of water, and then i went to bed.

it was ... ok. i got to hold my nephew for the first time (omg, he is so adorable, and smelt so yummy -- just on 7 months old) but we get together so infrequently, and for such small amounts of time that it's just a giant mess of noise and confusion and so on. afterwards i always feel vaguely unhappy as though i went to a lot of time/effort for very little reward... i am the outcast of the family, the one that has nothing in common with the others, so i usually end up sitting on the sidelines, observing. oh, to be one of the favourites

but i got to see my family and catch up, so that was good and i appreciated the time we did get to spend together, and carlo got his birthday presents, so all was essentially good.

my sister may not be coming on our trip next year, so i am trying to contingency plan today - trying to decide between [disney, new york, chicago and san fran] or [disney plus the 14 night eastbound repo cruise] or some other variation... too many options

I feel a bit like that around DHs family too. Luckily though, our house is too small to host any gatherings, so I just sit o the sidelines at other peoples houses!

I know what it's like to try and put different itineraries together too. I'm in the process of doing that for the inlaws. We want them to come along for at least a few days of Disney in 2015, but they have never been to the US so I want to give them an idea of all the things they might be interested in doing.

5ofus is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-21-2012, 03:56 PM   #1518
becpee
I see sock puppets

My DH has gone back to work today

And he just sent me a message, "how many days until our next vacation?"

I guess I'll pencil it in in permanent marker

becpee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 04:00 PM   #1519
5ofus
DIS Veteran

Okay, I think I'm going to apply for a new job! Nothing wrong with the one I have, but I've been keeping an eye on vacancies near me, and they FINALLY (first time all year) have something in my line of work. I have been at my job for 10 years now, and at the company nearly 16 years, so it's a huge step even thinking about it! I'm drooling over the prospect at it taking 20-30 minutes to get to work rather than 90-120 minutes, which is the only reason I'm even looking. Okay, now I have to get my application together...it's been a long, long time since I had to do that!

Old 10-21-2012, 04:16 PM   #1520
alicia1506
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Okay, I think I'm going to apply for a new job! Nothing wrong with the one I have, but I've been keeping an eye on vacancies near me, and they FINALLY (first time all year) have something in my line of work. I have been at my job for 10 years now, and at the company nearly 16 years, so it's a huge step even thinking about it! I'm drooling over the prospect at it taking 20-30 minutes to get to work rather than 90-120 minutes, which is the only reason I'm even looking. Okay, now I have to get my application together...it's been a long, long time since I had to do that!
good luck with it changing jobs is a big move, and sometimes a scary one, but the reduction in your commute sounds well worth it

all the best!!!
Old 10-21-2012, 04:48 PM   #1521
Marlea98
DIS Veteran

Good luck with the prospective job. The thought of job interviews fill me with terror
Old 10-21-2012, 06:38 PM   #1522
BecBennett
Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarves are not happy.

Good luck with it! I used to do that when I lived in Sydney too, I was always so jealous of my co-workers who lived down the road from work, and could pop home for lunch and stuff, meanwhile my home was an hour away.

Now I live in a town where everything in 15 minutes away, and I go home for lunch every day

However I'm now faced with another day devoid of all motivation... so I'm watching the work pile up in front of me...
Old 10-21-2012, 06:41 PM   #1523
Ms. Shuttergirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
That's exciting. Good for you.

Oct 2009 Disneyland - stayed at Disneyland Hotel
Sept/Oct 2010 WDW - split stay Wilderness Lodge/POP Century - Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2559987

PTR Christmas 2012 - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2979947
TR WDW/US/Canada Christmas trip 2012 - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3030550
Ms. Shuttergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 07:29 PM   #1524
WAMUMOF4
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Good luck
Old 10-21-2012, 07:48 PM   #1525
Marlea98
DIS Veteran

I've put it out to family today suggesting a group DCL cruise in 2015 And I'm still planning our own Dec'13 cruise and trip Thanks Ladies for giving me this planning bug And I've suggested matching cruise shirts for all
Old 10-21-2012, 10:25 PM   #1526
becpee
I see sock puppets

My DH's boss rang him this morning and says "I hope you understand that your delay in coming back stuffed us up and we had to reschedule some jobs and it caused a real hassle"

Ummmm

What?

Seriously?

His boss said "you should have got a flight the next day" and my DH replied "There wasn't one until the next Monday"

I asked my DH if he apologised for somebody else having to pick up the slack that he normally does...
Old 10-22-2012, 12:44 AM   #1527
5ofus
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by becpee
My DH's boss rang him this morning and says "I hope you understand that your delay in coming back stuffed us up and we had to reschedule some jobs and it caused a real hassle"

Ummmm

What?

Seriously?

His boss said "you should have got a flight the next day" and my DH replied "There wasn't one until the next Monday"

I asked my DH if he apologised for somebody else having to pick up the slack that he normally does...
Urgh! Seriously! All the more reason to start planning another one.

Thanks for all the good luck vibes . It's actually making me feel quite I'll, but I really have nothing to lose. Sooo much work involved though! I'm reading up on the place and trying to figure out how to fit all my work stuff into their criteria. I know competition is going to be tough because jobs like these NEVER come up out my way. Gotta be in it to win it though!

Old 10-22-2012, 05:30 PM   #1528
Andona
Destroyer of the Aussie Dollar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ofus
Good luck!! Hope you get it., and understand the motivation.

I've worked from home for the last several years but just recently have started going into DHs office to help a couple of days a week, the traffic drives me nuts!

Andona

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
2005: DL - 3/50 states | 2007- UK & Paris | 2008: WDW - 14/50 states| 2009: DL - 18/50 States | 2011 European roadtrip - ANZAC day in France | 2012: USA Coast to Coast Roadtrip! 25/50 states Read my TR|2013 Italy

Dec 2014 Hawaii Here We Come!

Aug 2015 Pacific Northwest Roadtrip finishing up in DL. Yay!
Andona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:52 PM   #1529
battymum
DIS Veteran

You never know how it will pan out. Many years ago, 2002 I applied for a job that was much closer to home, I was only working three days per week at the time and my kids were just about to start school and getting b&a care was a problem.

Anyway got the job, handed my resignation and my current employer asked me to "name my price" - he didn't care what time I got in or what time I left, as long as the work got done. So, I am still there ! Travelling up to an hour each way, but it was still worth it. Although I am really in need of a change.
battymum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 05:56 PM   #1530
becpee
I see sock puppets

Pondering, pondering (this is bad )

Next year our trip won't be as big, so something else that could make it really special would be a stay at DL Grand Californian

Have been surfing prices and now also pondering an Deluxe AP for one of us as I don't think there is any blackout dates when we're looking at going, and we'd get the discount on accom and food etc

These little ideas just get bigger and bigger

My BIL also referred me to a site to compare flight skyscanner.com

Not sure if that one has been mentioned here before...

Have a nice day everybody, it's lovely around my place today

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: