Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2013, 11:47 PM   #451
BlueMarlin
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingmom302

Can you tell me about the private shark tour? How long is it and who did you book through? My daughter and I have been talking about doing a shark tour but didn't see it listed as an excursion. I assume you didn't book it through Disney. If you don't mind me asking, how much does it cost per person? Thanks!
We looked on the internet for things to do and found a guy and negotiated a rate. It is a 2-3 hour gig. I think the regular rate was just under a hundred per person.
Hope we aren't the bait. If we aren't back in time send a search party. Christi and I have booked private tours on multiple past cruises and it is kind of a gut call on voiding the ship's excursion coverage policy.
BlueMarlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:28 AM   #452
MAD4EEYORE
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMarlin
On Key West, someone mentioned Mallory Square. That really lights up at sunset, during the day it is shops and outdoor mall type atmosphere.
The southernmost point is a good hike, perhaps made worse for me on my trek by the 150% humidity and 95 degree heat. Family turned back and I went it alone fortified only by frozen key lime pie on a stick. Had to stop by captain Tony's at the return to get my sea legs back and dehydrate some more. I think the trolley goes there but I wasn't thinking straight by four steps out of the a/c so I walked both ways.
I am worried about the heat as well. We are waiting to decide weather to do the trolley or just walk and it depends on the heat and humidity. You would think from living in the south and born in south fl I'd be use to it but that's not the case. Some family told me it was about a mile and a half one way does that sound about right or was it longer?

The shark excursion sounds really cool.
MAD4EEYORE is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-29-2013, 02:44 AM   #453
pchyjewels
Earning My Ears

Does anyone know if its customary to tip daily to your housekeepers and servers? Or do you pay one time at the end?
pchyjewels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:14 AM   #454
Mistylynn526
Earning My Ears

So I just had a dream and thought id share. joe and the kids and I got off the ship in Alaska instead of Key West. The only thing I was worried about being in Alaska was not getting the good key lime pie...priorities. Never mind that our entire ship was somewhere else. Gotta love crazy dreams!
Mistylynn526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:34 AM   #455
stsomewhere
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingmom302 View Post
Can you tell me about the private shark tour? How long is it and who did you book through? My daughter and I have been talking about doing a shark tour but didn't see it listed as an excursion. I assume you didn't book it through Disney. If you don't mind me asking, how much does it cost per person? Thanks!
You can search eco tours in Key West.

I believe that the shark tour was around $87 pp. But, We are paying a little more pp since we chartered the entire boat for the 14 of us.
stsomewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:28 AM   #456
jules4172
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pchyjewels View Post
Does anyone know if its customary to tip daily to your housekeepers and servers? Or do you pay one time at the end?
You tip at the end. DCL has a $ per day per person tipping formula so at the end of the cruise, they tallied how much they recommend you to tip your housekkeper, waiter, etc. They will slip that information under your door the day before disembarkment. If you find that acceptable, then that's what you'll tip each person. If one of your personal staff went above and beyond and you want to give him/her more than what was recommended, then you can go to guest service that same day and ask them to adjust it according to how much you want to give more and vice versa for someone who did less than par.
Hope that helps.
jules4172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:30 AM   #457
jules4172
Mouseketeer

fish extender

Hi BlueMarlin,

Can you add us to the 2nd FE list? Do we PM you or list the information here?
Thanx.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:45 AM   #458
stsomewhere
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pchyjewels View Post
The tips will be applied to your account. You will receive tickets with your servers, stateroom host,etc names on them. You will hand them out.

If you are not eating in the dining room on the last night, you can leave them at guest services.

Tips are just under $100 a person for this cruise.

Answer
It is customary to give gratuities in recognition of service, which you will be treated to in abundance aboard the ship. As a guideline, we suggest the following, but gratuities are always at your discretion:

Per Guest per cruise 3-Night 4-Night 7-Night
Dining Room Server $12.00 $16.00 $28.00
Dining Room Asst. Server$9.00 $12.00 $21.00
Dining Room Head Server $3.00 $4.00 $7.00
Stateroom Host/
Hostess $12.00 $16.00 $28.00
Dining Manager Your Discretion
Room Service Your Discretion
Palo Gratuity included
Vista Spa & Salon Your Discretion
Babysitting Gratuity not expected
Port Adventures Optional;
not included in port
adventure price.
You can choose to pre-pay gratuities for your party up to three days before your vacation begins by contacting Disney Cruise Line; or, for the convenience of our Guests who have not pre-paid, the suggested gratuity amounts will be added to your onboard account, based on the length of your voyage as shown in the table above.

If you wish to modify or make changes to the gratuity amounts or would like to pay in cash, please stop by our Guest Services desk, located on Deck 3, Mid-ship, at anytime during your sailing.

Please note, a 15% gratuity is automatically added to bar, beverage, wine and deck service tabs. All gratuities can be charged to your room charge. (At the Walt Disney World Resort, 15% is the customary gratuity at restaurants and bars.)
Old 01-29-2013, 10:45 AM   #459
wife2abadge
Earning My Ears

Anyone else having trouble logging it to the disney site to change your info? I've been getting an error message for two days now, and I need to change something on our check in.
wife2abadge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:03 PM   #460
Trinity524
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistylynn526 View Post
So I just had a dream and thought id share. joe and the kids and I got off the ship in Alaska instead of Key West. The only thing I was worried about being in Alaska was not getting the good key lime pie...priorities. Never mind that our entire ship was somewhere else. Gotta love crazy dreams!

I would be more worried if I had the right clothes. But this is coming from someone who dreams that they are on the ship that they forgot all the bathing suits at home.

Trinity524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:09 PM   #461
AustinChad
Earning My Ears

Hi everyone, we just stumbled upon this thread and wanted to introduce ourselves. This is our (Chad & Pelan) first cruise with our kids (b/g twins that are turning 4 in a few weeks) and our first Disney cruise. We'd love to join for the meet ... so please add us to that list.

Looking forward to making new friends!
AustinChad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:11 PM   #462
stsomewhere
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jules4172 View Post
Hi BlueMarlin,

Can you add us to the 2nd FE list? Do we PM you or list the information here?
Thanx.
Whatever one you want.

cabin #, names, ages of kids
Old 01-29-2013, 02:15 PM   #463
jules4172
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stsomewhere View Post
Whatever one you want.

cabin #, names, ages of kids
Julie - me
Huy - DH
Grace - DD, 8 yo
Abby - DD, 6yo
Cabin 5516

Thank you.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:52 PM   #464
jules4172
Mouseketeer

packing hints

for those who may be going on their first cruise or not sure what to pack, here's some tidbits you might find useful:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread....do+in+key+west

julie
Old 01-29-2013, 03:33 PM   #465
pchyjewels
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinChad
Hi everyone, we just stumbled upon this thread and wanted to introduce ourselves. This is our (Chad & Pelan) first cruise with our kids (b/g twins that are turning 4 in a few weeks) and our first Disney cruise. We'd love to join for the meet ... so please add us to that list.

Looking forward to making new friends!
Welcome to the board!
pchyjewels is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: