Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2013, 12:01 AM   #256
loncon04
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMarlin View Post
One item to remember is that when you have to pay for something that a waiter brings you, there is an automatic 15% tip (servis compris) is added to the bill on your Key to the World card. You can add extra if you want, but know that servis compris is already there.
Does this 15% go on there if you order room service as well?
loncon04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:16 AM   #257
BlueMarlin
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinity524
TA just told me that Disney puts people in the Hotel Galvez the night before. We are staying at the Tremont comes with parking for the 8 days.
We're at a hotel by the pier. Did prepaid port parking to avoid the shuttle buses and just walk off.
BlueMarlin is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-20-2013, 09:22 AM   #258
BlueMarlin
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by loncon04

Does this 15% go on there if you order room service as well?
Room service is cash tip on delivery since the food has no cost to apply the tip against. If you are getting soda or candy that has a cost they might hit you with .25 cent tip on the KTTW card.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:22 AM   #259
stsomewhere
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD4EEYORE View Post
That's why it was sold out! I have no idea where we are staying yet. We plan on driving, leaving on Wed when school gets out.
We are driving from Michigan. Our plan was to leave right after school on Wed. My son, matt , 14 qualified for dual enrollment and has a college class that night from 7- 10 pm. We will leave later than I thought.

We are staying at country inn and suites in Galveston. We e booked reservations at port for parking.

Christi
stsomewhere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:39 AM   #260
BlueMarlin
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by loncon04 View Post
>Is the Palo dinner worth it? I've heard the food on DCL is better than a lot of the other cruise lines... I want to spend time with the kids but I'm beginning to think a night away at the Palo doesn't sound too bad either? Is it like a steakhouse type thing? I guess what I'm getting at is what makes it better than the already paid for food?
>Also Im afraid my kids are going to love the kids clubs and want to be in there a lot if that is the case are there things for adults to do? Don't get me wrong this vacation is definitely for my kids BUT if they ditch us cuz "mickey is way cooler than mom and dad"... what do we do?
>Park hopper tickets... Which parks can you "hop" from and which places would be best for a 6 and 4 year old? Never been to WDW. From AZ so we just go to DL.
>Also I am thinking we need to be part of the meet and greet since we are probably not going to have any other friends end up coming with us... every other time we have cruised we have gone with a group of 50+ other people we knew, and no kids. So this is going to be quite a change for us. Excited though! I hear so much good about DCL!
Lots of questions here but let's give this a try. #1 our family considers DCL a five-in one vacation. Each of us gets our own time on the ship, and then we get family time on the excursions and some of the events, and meals. Our kids enjoy cruising quite a bit because we don't make them all go together all as a family all the time and coordinate schedules.
There is plenty for adults to do. DCL has a vacation for everyone policy which enables the aforementioned family policy. They have an adult pool area where those under 18 are banished, and it is policed by the staff. There is an adult lounge area, with the same 18 and over policy at night, but it is all-ages during the day. There is also the family pool and the kiddy pool, and five kids club groups. On the Navigator, you will see the activities for each of the brackets, including a family and adult line. There are cooking things and wine tasting for adults. The movie theater runs continuously. Reading in the coffee bar and sneaking the adult only snacks from their case is yum. So EMBRACE Kids Club. They will even bring the kids food to dinner early, let them eat, and have them back in club by the entree so that you can enjoy your dinner after hanging with the kids for a bit at the start.
Christi and I also try to make friends on the ship. She is not a super-clubber, but I enjoy hanging with the adult party staff and cruise director in the evenings. I can also be found playing Jenga in the sports bar. She can generally be found lazing on the nice padded wooden deck chairs in the adult pool area.

Palo - worth it for Brunch and I enjoy dinner there. I had an interesting experience with the food staff and will post later.

More on the park hopper later, also we had some prior discussions on this being a red-day and less than optimal for hopping if the parks hit capacity.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:48 AM   #261
disneymom13176
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stsomewhere View Post
We are driving from Michigan. Our plan was to leave right after school on Wed.
Christi
Christi- We might pass each other on the highway. We are driving from KY down to Galveston.
WDW 1995 Off-Site;Worked on Jungle Cruise 1995 to 1996;DCL 2003- Western Caribbean;WDW 2003 All-Stars Movies;WDW 2005 Dolphin;WDW 2007 All-Stars Movies;WDW 2008 Coronado Springs;WDW 2008 Caribbean Beach;2008 Became DVC Member Animal Kingdom Villas; DCL 2009 Eastern Caribbean; WDW 2009 Saratoga Springs; DCL 2009 Bahamas; WDW 2010 Villas at Wilderness Lodge; WDW 2010 Bay Lake Tower; WDW 2010 Animal Kingdom Villas; DCL 2011 Mediterranean; 2011 WDW Off-Site; DCL 2012 Double Dip on the Dream; 2012 Aulani;2012 WDW Off-Site; 2012 Disney Land; 2013 DCL from Galveston; 2013 DCL Kid Free on the Dream; 2013 Animal Kingdom Villas
disneymom13176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:51 AM   #262
urbkols
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by loncon04 View Post
>Is the Palo dinner worth it? I've heard the food on DCL is better than a lot of the other cruise lines... I want to spend time with the kids but I'm beginning to think a night away at the Palo doesn't sound too bad either? Is it like a steakhouse type thing? I guess what I'm getting at is what makes it better than the already paid for food?
>Also Im afraid my kids are going to love the kids clubs and want to be in there a lot if that is the case are there things for adults to do? Dont get me wrong this vacation is definitely for my kids BUT if they ditch us cuz "mickey is way cooler than mom and dad"... what do we do?
>Park hopper tickets... Which parks can you "hop" from and which places would be best for a 6 and 4 year old? Never been to WDW. From AZ so we just go to DL.
>Also I am thinking we need to be part of the meet and greet since we are probably not going to have any other friends end up coming with us... every other time we have cruised we have gone with a group of 50+ other people we knew, and no kids. So this is going to be quite a change for us. Excited though! I hear so much good about DCL!
I know Erik (BlueMarlin) touched on a bit of what you can do especially if the kids don't want to leave the club. I have 5 year old twins and this will be their 6th cruise, 3rd on DCL and then 4th time to WDW. Big thing to remember this is your vacation too so enjoy some me time as well. When we get the Navigator the night before we plan our day around the activities that are offered. DD likes to swim and see the princess. DS likes going to the Kid's club more than DD and watching the movies on board. If there is a cooking demo, kids' goto the kids club because that's my time! DH and I love going one night to the specialty restaurants on any cruise plus it gives us a peaceful dinner. We also try to spend a night or two in the adult area of the ship. Palo will not disappoint so give it a try!

I live 20 minutes from DL and have passes so we go there quite often. Since this is your first time to WDW MK is a must. Ya you will say it's just like DL just bigger but there is something seeing Cinderella's castle that makes it special. AK is also great for the little one's if they want to go on a Safari, plus the Finding Nemo show is so cute for the little ones. Epcot will have the Flower and Garden show which is also cool. Epcot makes it fun for the kids by giving out last time I was there a Duffy to color around the world. My kids like it also because there is a Nemo ride too. My son likes going to HS for the Cars Stunt show and DD likes the Ariel Show there too. On this trip we are sticking to MK and Epcot. Want to see the New Fantasyland plus these two parks are connected by the monorail system and we don't have to take the bus.

urbkols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 11:14 AM   #263
disneycruising
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Wendy Pleakley View Post
This is our first Disney Cruise and we would love to join the FE list...

Room#: 8536
Tiffany, Vaidy, Sabrina (15), Maya (12), Layla (7)

Thanks!
Welcome! You are going to love DCL!

May 2002 ~ 4 day Wonder Feb 2003 ~ 7 day Magic/ Eastern May 2004 ~ 7 day Magic/ Western Nov 2004 ~ Thanksgiving on the Magic /Western Double Dip May 2005 ~ 14 day Panama Canal Cruise: "Bringing the Magic to CA" Nov 2005 ~ Thanksgiving on the Magic/ Western Double Dip Apr 2006 ~ Easter on the Magic/ Eastern,Feb 2007 ~ Valentines on the Wonder May 2007~ Transatlantic: Taking the Magic to the Med Oct 2008~ Celebrating Halloween & my birthday with Mickey on the Magic Dec 2009 ~ Christmas in the Parks & New Years on the Wonder Feb 2010 ~ Disneyland & DCA Dec 2010 ~ Jan 2011~ "Surprise" Christmas & New Years on the Magic Mar ~'Mother & Son' do ESPN-the-Weekend April ~'Mom & daughter' Spring Break May ~ Eastbound TransAtlantic Oct ~'Mother & Daughter Cruise' MR Dec 2011 ~ Christmas WDW & New Years on the DreamDec 2012~ Christmas & New Years on the Fantasy Mar 2013~Mom & Daughter Cruise Celebrating DD's HS Graduation Aug 2013~ Trip to WDW to visit our DD in the DCP Dec 2013~ Christmas on the Magic Nov 2014 ~ GIRLS TRIP TO WDW Dec 2014~ CHRISTMAS IN THE PARKS
disneycruising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 12:37 PM   #264
Trinity524
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMarlin View Post
We're at a hotel by the pier. Did prepaid port parking to avoid the shuttle buses and just walk off.
We promise not to stalk you, but what hotel is this? I asked the operator how close the hotel was to the pier and he said two blocks. I don't care about the actual hotel as we aren't going to get in until about 8 pm so I won't be able to enjoy any amenities. I'd love to walk off and avoid a shuttle.

TIA.

Annie

Trinity524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 01:30 PM   #265
Mistylynn526
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneymom13176

Christi- We might pass each other on the highway. We are driving from KY down to Galveston.
We might pass you both. We are leaving after school Wednesday from IL. :-)
Mistylynn526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 03:52 PM   #266
Trinity524
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistylynn526 View Post
So glad you were able to get off!!! My son is 5 also! Glad there will be a few 5 yo on the ship.
I think we are almost neighbors on the boat! A few of us are in the same little area.

7620 Misty Mistylynn526
7621 Russell -
7622 Bernie -
7624 Annie Trinity524

Old 01-20-2013, 04:29 PM   #267
gerryswifehlt
Earning My Ears

Wdw

For those of you considering going to the parks while we are in Port Canaveral here is some helpful WDW information. The Magic Kingdom opens at 8am the day we are there for resort guests only (I am assuming it is not for cruise line guests?) and Epcot will be open later, until 11pm. While only resort guests can ride the rides that late at Epcot, you can still go around the world showcase after fireworks, which would make the Epcot dessert party a good deal, unless you've never seen the parade & fireworks at MK, then do that!!!

Please read up on FP and the all the new changes they are implementing at the parks with the wristbands and RFID tickets. I am hoping FP+ will be up and running by then so we can make the most of our one day there.

Also, it will be pretty crowded at the parks, so don't get your hearts set on doing everything. With young kids, MK is the place to be. The new Fantasyland is fun (especially Dumbo's new queue and the splash area where kids can get soaked-warning!!). Older thrill-seeking teens will like Hollywood Studios. Epcot is a good choice for shopping & eating. AK closes earlier than the other parks, but has some fun things for everyone, but is pretty far out compared to the other parks.

Also look into making a dining reservation with Disney Dining. They have good character meals, but most are already filled up. Realize if you use the Hopper option, it will take about a hour from the time you start leaving a park until you get into another.

Hope I'm not insulting anyone's intelligence, but while not being overly knowledgable about DCL, I am in the vacation club and an annual pass holder, so I have a lot of the ins and outs of WDW down. Just, try and go with a plan :-).
gerryswifehlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:01 PM   #268
Trinity524
DIS Veteran

Perhaps someone can say when the last motorcoach leaves?

Walt Disney World Resort (Port Canaveral, FL) 6:15 a.m. 12:45 a.m.

It's about an hour and 30 minutes back to port. What time do we have to be back on the ship? Is there a return schedule for each park?

Here is the park schedule for the day we are there. It appears that Magic Kingdom opens at 8am for the general public.

Last edited by Trinity524; 01-20-2013 at 07:08 PM.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:44 PM   #269
glittergurl
Earning My Ears

Red face VIP Tour???

Hi,

We are thinking about doing the VIP tour on our stop at Port Canaveral in order to avoid lines. It would be myself, my husband, and our 2 boys, ages 8 and 9. Problem is it is wayyyy to expensive for just the four of us, so we want to know if any of you would be interested in joining us.

The cost is approximately $1,770 for 6 hours. We would need 6 more people for a total of 10 people, so the price would be approximately $177 per person.

We are pretty much interested in hitting all the thrill rides at all of the parks (maybe not Animal Kingdom if we run out of time). I was told we would be brought to the rear of each fastpass line on each ride and go from there.

Please let me know if anyone is interested! We only need 6 more people!
glittergurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:24 PM   #270
gerryswifehlt
Earning My Ears

You are totally right! MK opens at 7 am for resort guests and 8am for everyone. They've recently changed that, yeah?

That just means that by even by 8-9am MK will be pretty crowded and they must be expecting very large crowds that day.
gerryswifehlt is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: