Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2012, 01:15 PM   #106
zstyles
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sistersville View Post
Would appreciate your input since you just recently did this one- we are a group of 10 traveling with 6 kids- ages 12-2 yo. Do you think it is worth it to take little ones? Our concern is that we would love for the older kids to experience a little bit of the history in Mexico because not sure when we will ever go back and don't want to just do beach trips in each location. The ruins trip in Cozumel sounds like an even longer adventure so the one in Costa Maya seems to be the only option.

I think we are just going to do the beach in Grand Cayman because I am not sure that the younger kids would like the stingray adventure and trying to keep them safe on a smaller boat sounds like a nightmare! I have also heard mixed reviews about the turtle farm- plus we just visited the zoo where we had our fill of turtles.

In Cozumel, we are debating between Nachi Cocum and Chankannaab. Is the beach/swimming area at Chankanaab nice and clean with clear water-free of rocks?

Anyone who has done these excursions with younger kids... I would love your views! Thanks!
The best decision we made was to make a reservation with http://www.sandalsandskis.com/Tropicante.html

It was clean, fun and the food/drinks were very reasonable. It was a 5 minute taxi ride and we were in the water within 10 minutes of leaving the port...there are other places near this same place if they are sold out of beach umbrellas..the water was very clean and shallow, the kids all had fun and it was very relaxing and didn't cost a thing other than the food/drinks.
Old 10-29-2012, 01:44 PM   #107
vleeth
I heart Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by zstyles View Post
The best decision we made was to make a reservation with http://www.sandalsandskis.com/Tropicante.html

It was clean, fun and the food/drinks were very reasonable. It was a 5 minute taxi ride and we were in the water within 10 minutes of leaving the port...there are other places near this same place if they are sold out of beach umbrellas..the water was very clean and shallow, the kids all had fun and it was very relaxing and didn't cost a thing other than the food/drinks.
We will be in port from 12:45 - 5:30. Because of this we will each lunch on the boat and probably only be at the beach for 2-3 hours. We won't need to buy food.

If the only thing we pay for is a massage, will that cover the use of the loungers?
vleeth is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-29-2012, 02:04 PM   #108
zstyles
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vleeth View Post
We will be in port from 12:45 - 5:30. Because of this we will each lunch on the boat and probably only be at the beach for 2-3 hours. We won't need to buy food.

If the only thing we pay for is a massage, will that cover the use of the loungers?
While you can eat lunch on the ship, you might consider getting some of the great food, fresh caught fish, etc..some great options for lighter snacking...try a few cold drinks..there is no expectation you will buy anything, but keep in mind that it would be "unspoken understanding" that you will keep the drinks flowing...which are cheap and they have some good Mexican version of some beach drinks!
Old 10-29-2012, 02:12 PM   #109
Donald & Daisy Duck
I even put ketchup on my tag!

Quote:
Originally Posted by alicia1506 View Post
this is exactly what i needed to hear -- thank you so very much
We will be on the Fantasy in August 2013 so I would love to hear more about the excursions

Donald & Daisy Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 06:45 PM   #110
perfectmatch300
United We Stand
Will ride anything with "roller coaster" in the name!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludari View Post
When I visited all these ports I scuba dived at each one. Of course you need to be certified but it was some of the best diving I've done.
I'm a certified diver & am looking forward to doing some diving on our cruise. Who did you book your dives through? Did you book privately, or book through Disney?
Old 11-10-2012, 09:27 AM   #111
Mastiff
Mouseketeer

Grand Cayman Beaches

Just wondering if any of the GC beaches have the water toys like they do in Cozumel. Kids would love to do a beach day while we are in GC and I didn't know which beach would be best.

We saw the water trampoline, ice berg, and slide at the Cozumel beaches and they loved that.

Do any of the beaches in GC have those things?

Thanks
Mastiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:57 PM   #112
wickedpixie13
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccermom1422 View Post
We are thinking of doing a beach day in Costa Maya in October. Has anyone done the Jungle Beach Break? Or should we go on our own? We would like to rent a wave runner and maybe get a massage. Our 4 boys range in age from 2-13.
We had booked the Jungle Beach Break for our November cruise, but ended up cancelling it. It's a 40 min ride there and back, so that's about 1.5 hrs that are just in bus traveling. We decided that our little ones (4 and 1) wouldn't care enough about what was available at the place to make up for the cost of the excursion. We have looked at going to Tropicante instead but are still undecided what we're going to do. tropicante has massages available and possibly wave runners. You might want to look into it at least.

Previous DCL cruises
Wonder: Alaska May 2011
Magic: Galveston November 2012

RunDisney:
Tinkerbell Half Marathon 2014
wickedpixie13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:29 PM   #113
vleeth
I heart Disney

If we leave the port area that's where we will go. With 3 beach days in a row we may just spend a couple hours near the port and the rest if the time on the boat. But we may decide we want another day at the beach. This is one we will play by ear.
vleeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:02 PM   #114
2disneycruzrs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastiff
Just wondering if any of the GC beaches have the water toys like they do in Cozumel. Kids would love to do a beach day while we are in GC and I didn't know which beach would be best.

We saw the water trampoline, ice berg, and slide at the Cozumel beaches and they loved that.

Do any of the beaches in GC have those things?

Thanks
I have not seen any of those during my time here on GC.. Seen the standard water toys ie wave runners, Hobie, water bike but none of what you mention. Margaritaville does have a water slide but nothing compared to Mickey's or Aqua Duck. Beach-wise, 7 Mile is gorgeous.

Wonder 10/14 * Reimagined Magic 12/13 * Swan/Dream/Animation: 12/12 * Beach Club: 1/12 - work * AKL/Dream: 9/11 - my daughter's and nieces' first cruise! * Beach Club/Wonder: 11/08 - work * Beach Club/Wonder: 8/08 - work (I get paid to go?!) * Dolphin/Wonder: 12/05 * RCCL - Jewel inaugural season (Western) 4/05-work * RCCL - Serenade inaugural season (Alaska) 8/04 - work * Swan/Magic: 11/03 Eastern * Dolphin/Wonder 10/02 - our honeymoon * WDW '83
2disneycruzrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:11 AM   #115
dleighb
Earning My Ears

DH and I are booked on The Secret River out of Cozumel in a couple weeks. Do we need to bring our own towels or anything like that? Change of clothes so we have dry clothes coming back home? I know you can't take your camera down there and have to purchase their picture CD. How much was that for you and is there time to get that with the excursion group? Is the water terribly cold? What about shoes? Do they provide you with shoes or should you wear your own water shoes? Any logistics on this would be great. We're booked, but still contemplating cancelling in exchange for another option. Any advice would be welcome.
dleighb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:17 PM   #116
DznyCrzy11
"When you wish upon a star, makes no difference who you are".

Great thread!!! DH and I are going to these places the end of Aug, can't wait!!!

Sent from my GalaxyS II
Visited WDW once a year(sometimes twice a year)between 1987 and 2000, stayed at FW Campground most of those times, FW Cabins one time, ASMu one time,and an offsite hotel a few other times.Since 2003 my DH and I have taken 8 trips to WDW and 1 DCL together.We stayed at an offsite hotel in 2003 and 2005, ASMo in 2008,CBR in 2009,Poly in 2010,2011,2012,2013. Bahamian Disney Cruise in 2013. YC stay and Western Caribbean Cruise in 2014. BC stay and Eastern Caribbean Cruise in 2015!!

DznyCrzy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:14 PM   #117
Schrute Farms
Mouseketeer

I'll be traveling with two boys(age 3 and 6). Is there stuff at Salsa and Salsa for younger kids?
Schrute Farms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:50 PM   #118
jayteadunn
Earning My Ears

We took a taxi to turtle farm and had a nice tour on the way
jayteadunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:56 AM   #119
Princess Sleepy
DIS Veteran

My BFF and I are going to try the Amazing Cozumel Race when we are there in April. It is like the tv show Amazing Race where you get clues that lead you all over Cozumel. It looks super fun and has gotten rave reviews on Trip Advisor. Here is the link: http://theamazingcozumelrace.com/Welcome.html

Feb 2009: Poly Jan 2010: Pop
June 2010: CBR October 2011: The Dream
November 2011: POR May 2012: AKV- Kidani
February 2013: POR May 2013: CBR December 2013: The Fantasy
Princess Sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:28 AM   #120
Aigantighe
Earning My Ears

We are on the Western next January so loving all this advice. Thanks everyone!
Aigantighe is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: