Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2012, 10:30 PM   #16
rosermama
DIS Veteran

We went to Grand Caymen and did the Stingray sailing and loved it my DD was 11 at the time and hated it. This is not something to do with kids espically if they are not super adventorous since the stingrays are large. We used Stingray Sailing they were cheaper than Disney and were nothing but wonderful people. We had an issue with being double charged and emailed them and they apologized and took care of it right away.

http://www.stingraysailing.com/?gcli...FUERNAod8GGTYQ

We had plenty of time after our trip (we took the morning one) so we had a slow lunch at Margartiaville and then walked all around the shopping area (which isn't much) then got back on board early before the crowds at the little boats.

Here is a page from my photobook it should give you an idea of what it is like

In cozumel we rented a jeep and drove out to the tequilla factory which was pretty intresting. Then we drove all the way around the island on the opposite side of the island from the pier there are some beautiful beaches with no one on them. We ate at Coconuts which was ok a little over priced beautiful by the sea. We also stopped off at a roadside store and got some great souviners. We really enjoyed this aspect of seeing the island as opposed to being on the beach all day.

rosermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 11:01 PM   #17
healeylvr
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thymed View Post
We are travelling with friends on the Fantasy July 7th and I am wondering what are the most fun excursions for the ports of Grand Cayman, Cozumel & Costa Maya? Normally we just stay onboard and enjoy the boat but our friends are anxious to try some of the ports. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
you may be interested in tyhe cruisr meet for this cruise http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2714463
healeylvr is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-22-2012, 11:38 PM   #18
scrapbookmomma74
We love DCL!!!

We booked directly through DCL, it was called "Island Tour with Stingrays". Due to the limited time, it seems like that is the best plan if wanting to do a whole day excursion.
A lifetime of memories at the "World"! 1974, 1975, 1983, 1993, 1995, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, DCL Magic 2010, DCL Magic 2011, DCL Dream 2011, DCL Magic 2012, DCL Fantasy 2012, DCL Dream 2012, DVC Member Cruise Dream 2013, DL Resort Summer 2013, DCL Fantasy 2013, DCL Magic 2014
[/url][url=http://www.myvacationcountdown.com/]
scrapbookmomma74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 03:05 AM   #19
algae
Mouseketeer

Just got back from the Fantasy. Excursion recommendations always depend on what kinds of things you like to do. Most people say snorkeling is a must do in the clear waters, but I don't care for swimming in salt water so we skipped that this time around.

In Grand Cayman, we did the Atlantis submarine. Pretty cool to dive about 100 feet down. Saw lot's of fish and scuba divers. I'd recommend this.

In Costa Maya, not a whole lot there to do. We went to the Chacchoben Mayan ruins. First time to Mayan ruins, so this was pretty cool despite the rain(!). I'd recommend this only if you haven't been to any Mayan sites before.

In Cozumel, we went to the Secret River excursion. This is an amazing tour through underground caverns--some filled with water. I'd highly, highly recommend this one. Not too many places in the world to experience this.
algae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 03:26 AM   #20
lisa702
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by healeylvr View Post
you may be interested in tyhe cruisr meet for this cruise http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2714463
I second that!
DCL 09/04 09/05 12/06 09/09 06/10 03/11 7/11 7/12
2/13 3/13
lisa702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 04:57 AM   #21
Tinknalli
DIS Veteran

We did Boatswain's Beach AKA The Turtle Farm last week and it was enjoyable. Got time with the turtles, snorkeling and swimming time plus time to see the other animal exhibits. The tour included lunch which did not have a lot to interest the picky eaters. Lunch was a buffet (one trip through only) that included cole slaw, pasta salad, beans and rice, chicken legs and mahi mahi. The beverege choices were water or pink lemonade. The kids ended up ordering a la carte from the menu which was not included and was expensive. Overall, enjoyable but not something we would do again.

In Cozumel we did the jeep tour through Disney. It was run by a company called Explora and was great. Drove around the island with stops at El Mirador for pictures and shopping, then on to El Cedral for a little history and cultural lesson and time for pictures and more shopping. There was a little demonstration about black coral and making jewelry with it. The last stop was going to be a private beach at Punta Sur but it was too windy so we ended with our last stop at Chankanaab where we had a buffet that even the picky eaters enjoyed. Chips and salsa and cheese, watermelon, tossed salad, rice, beans, and chicken fajitas. All very good and all you can eat. Then back to the pier. Santiago and Eduardo were great guides and they brought out beverages at every stop. This was a lot of fun. The same company runs the dube buggy tour.
2/98 All Star Music, 5/00 Port Orleans, 01/05 All Star Movies, 04/07 Pop Century, 10/08 Port Orleans Riverside, 04/10 Port Orleans French Quarter, 04/12 Disney Fantasy and Port Orleans Riverside, 04/14 Pop Century and Disney Fantasy

Tinknalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:13 AM   #22
jlwhitney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by algae View Post
Just got back from the Fantasy. Excursion recommendations always depend on what kinds of things you like to do. Most people say snorkeling is a must do in the clear waters, but I don't care for swimming in salt water so we skipped that this time around.

In Grand Cayman, we did the Atlantis submarine. Pretty cool to dive about 100 feet down. Saw lot's of fish and scuba divers. I'd recommend this.

In Costa Maya, not a whole lot there to do. We went to the Chacchoben Mayan ruins. First time to Mayan ruins, so this was pretty cool despite the rain(!). I'd recommend this only if you haven't been to any Mayan sites before.

In Cozumel, we went to the Secret River excursion. This is an amazing tour through underground caverns--some filled with water. I'd highly, highly recommend this one. Not too many places in the world to experience this.
I agree with you about the Secret River it is completely worth it! Loved every minute of it.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:25 AM   #23
ilovetexas
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosermama View Post
We went to Grand Caymen and did the Stingray sailing and loved it my DD was 11 at the time and hated it. This is not something to do with kids espically if they are not super adventorous since the stingrays are large. We used Stingray Sailing they were cheaper than Disney and were nothing but wonderful people. We had an issue with being double charged and emailed them and they apologized and took care of it right away.
Loved your pictures!!!

However, I will say to anyone planning on StingRay City with kids, it really depends on the kid. My DD15 wouldn't have anything to do with it but both my younger boys would LOVE it. We had kids on our trip with Moby Dick Tours and they were all having fun with the stingrays, it was a couple of the adults that wouldn't get in the water with them.

The stingrays are large and it is a little "scary" at first because you are just standing there and all of a sudden one swims up against you. Once you get used to it, it's wonderful. AND, if you kiss a stingray, you get 7 years good luck.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:59 AM   #24
It'sWDW4me
Fairly new... still gets a tag :)
HOLD THE PHONE!
I think it's easier to reason with a CHIMPANZEE than to reason with a tween/early teen!

We're going on our first cruise this August. This is what we're planning - I can review when we get back.

Grand Cayman - Me & DS - Reef & Shipwreck Snorkel; Mom & DB - Nautilus submarine reef tour

Costa Maya - Chacchoben Ruins

Cozumel - Cozumel Highlights & Ruins Tour - this includes the San Gervasio ruins, a tequilera, and a scenic area stop.

WDW Commando Member #120

Me; DS (18); Bear (7); Cosmo (7? He's a stray who found his home with us)

No more tickers for a very long while.

March 1986 - offsite; March 2002 - offsite; August 2006 - POP; August 2007 - OKW (free upgrade from ASMo!); August 2008 - POR; August 2010 - CBR ; August 2012 - DCL's Fantasy ; July 2013 - POP & 1st solo trip!
It'sWDW4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 05:48 PM   #25
lark
DIS Veteran

We're pretty close to finalizing.

Grand Cayman -- seems like a good day to hang around the ship, since I assume that most will be getting off. Two of us will be doing the Pirate Encounter and the other two hope to get a few aquaduck runs in.

Costa Maya -- I think, since this is such a short stop, we're going to go with a DCL excursion; either the Chacchoben Mayan Ruins or the mini-jeep excursion. We're leaning pretty heavily toward the latter. It gets really great reviews from customers of other cruise lines, and I assume it's basically the same tour company. Also, the ruins look amazing, but it's a long bus ride back and forth on a pretty short time in port. Might wait until the little ones are a bit older to deal with the walking.

Cozumel -- Mr. Sancho's on our own.
lark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 01:51 PM   #26
ssjones
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapbookmomma74 View Post
Grand Cayman is my most favorite port! We always do the Island Tour with Stingrays, which takes you to the Turtle Farm and then to Stingray Sandbar.

Our children LOVED this excursion!
Is this a DCL port adventure or did you use someone else??

------------------------------------
Disney Dream May 2012 - Nassau
ssjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 04:45 PM   #27
noahsmom
2002 - Poly & Wonder; 2004 - Poly & Wonder; 2006 - AKL & Magic; 2007 - SSR & Wonder; 2008 SSR only; 2009 Kidani, SSR & Magic to Tortola; 2010 Double dip Wonder & WDW road trip

You can do this tour (Stingray city & turtle farm) through DCL and there are also a variety of private tours you can book. We used Nativeway and had a fabulous experience. Others have reported great things from Captain Marvins.

We will be using Nativeway again this summer, this time we are not going to the turtle farm though. Booked Stingray City, Coral Garden, and starfish snorkel.

Grand Cayman has been our favorite port and we can't wait to get back!
Old 06-08-2012, 08:18 AM   #28
ssjones
Mouseketeer

Xel-Ha Park & River Tubing - All Inclusive

Any Comments?? Looking at this excusion.

------------------------------------
Disney Dream May 2012 - Nassau
ssjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 08:48 AM   #29
Kevin Stringer
Chat Host
Oddly concerned about an elephant living in his pyjamas
The TF would like to see Kevin’s rendition of 'Great balls of fire'

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneycruiser22 View Post
the stringray thing sounds cool for grand cayman...anyone have any pics? thanks!
Hi

We did a Celebrity cruise last year and stopped at all three places.
If it helps anyone, we wrote a trip report and there are a few videos too.

Go here: www.kevinstringer.co.uk
Click on the last trip link 'March 2011 Bay Lake Tower/7 night cruise Celebrity Eclipse/Vero Beach' and you should be able to find some information on what we did on Grand Cayman, Cozumel and Costa Maya. We didn't take any of the ships excursions, but booked them ourselves.
And yes, swimming with the stingrays was a marvellous experience.

Kev
Kevin Stringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 08:42 PM   #30
Silverfox97
PLATINUM Castaway Club

In Grand Cayman, we did the Island Tour, then headed over to Margaritaville for lunch and to swim in the pool & for DD to enjoy some waterslide time. We did walk around a little, as DD "had" to get her nail polish from Del Sol

In Cozumel, we did the Eco Park & Snorkel. It was only us (family of 3) and one other family. The ride there was a bit long, and then it rained and we were on an open air bus-type thing, but we made the best of it. We enjoyed Punta Sur and it cleared up nicely for some beach time. DD and I just swam (very nice and warm water) and DH went to snorkel with the tour guide. We planned on stopping at Margaritaville there as well, but DD was tuckered out, so we went back to the ship.

We went to Key West, so can't comment on Costa Maya!

2015 - Wonder Mar 4n; Magic June 11n Norway/Iceland; Dream Oct 4n ~ 2014 - Fantasy Mar Eastern; Magic - Oct SOUTHERN/B2B repo ~ 2013 - Fantasy Mar Eastern; Dream Oct 4n; Oct Magic B2B ~
2012 Feb Dream & Fantasy x2 - June Eastern, Dec Western ~ 2011 Magic x2 - Jan 5n DD, Oct Western ~ 2010 Wonder Aug 5n DD ~ 2005 Fairytale Wedding @ GF Wedding Pavilion & 3n Wonder
Silverfox97 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: