Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2012, 09:53 PM   #1
ohiomom28
DIS Veteran

Vacation ideas with 2 preteen boys

I don't think there are many places I haven't thought of but I'm hoping someone here can help. After having to cancel our vacation for this year, we are trying to plan a trip for our sons Spring Break next year. Dates would be approx March 30-April 4, 2013. 2 adults and 2 teen boys age 13 and almost 14, driving from Southwest Ohio. I am trying to keep it as cheap as possible, which is the only thing keeping us from just picking Orlando right now. I think Orlando would offer the most for the boys to do if we stay on I drive. We will probably stick to Universal and Sea World too. We have been to Myrtle Beach recently and DH said Gatlinburg is out too.
My vote is for Orlando, I just need to figure out a way to do it on a budget.

Any ideas?

Last edited by ohiomom28; 04-19-2012 at 10:06 PM.
ohiomom28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:57 PM   #2
snarlingcoyote
I know people who live in really carpy school districts

Go start reading the budget board! Lots and lots of great ideas, hints and help!
snarlingcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-19-2012, 10:03 PM   #3
ohiomom28
DIS Veteran

Thanks!
Old 04-19-2012, 10:03 PM   #4
funkychunkymonkey
DIS Veteran

I know!! Mackinaw, mi! If you stay in st. ignace, do a day trip to the city, and one to the island, its a very affordable trip. Lots to see and do. We went two years ago as a family of 5 (9yo, 10yo, 3 adults) and it was really cheap! the kids had a blast especally the night we stayed in the city late to see the laser light show! I would reccomend it! I had so much fun im dragging my mom and boyfreind back for my birthday!
RIP:
guiedo (guiena pig) bluebeard
funkychunkymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 06:12 PM   #5
Anne34
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkychunkymonkey View Post
I know!! Mackinaw, mi! If you stay in st. ignace, do a day trip to the city, and one to the island, its a very affordable trip. Lots to see and do. We went two years ago as a family of 5 (9yo, 10yo, 3 adults) and it was really cheap! the kids had a blast especally the night we stayed in the city late to see the laser light show! I would reccomend it! I had so much fun im dragging my mom and boyfreind back for my birthday!
Probably way too cold in March for Mackinac Island. Don't think much is even open -- we often get snow still.

You need to remember that for your spring break week that first weekend is Easter. That week is our spring break too and it is always really crowded and expensive during that week. Book well in advance and be prepared for long lines! Would your kids be ok with going to Tampa/Clearwater? Maybe do Busch Gardens (Lots of big rides) and a couple beach days to just relax...especially since you are driving. This is something we are thinking about -- been to Disney & UA many times.
Anne34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 08:09 PM   #6
minniebeth
I count on y'all to keep me up to date ;)
I'm ok going up, just can't go down...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiomom28 View Post
I don't think there are many places I haven't thought of but I'm hoping someone here can help. After having to cancel our vacation for this year, we are trying to plan a trip for our sons Spring Break next year. Dates would be approx March 30-April 4, 2013. 2 adults and 2 teen boys age 13 and almost 14, driving from Southwest Ohio. I am trying to keep it as cheap as possible, which is the only thing keeping us from just picking Orlando right now. I think Orlando would offer the most for the boys to do if we stay on I drive. We will probably stick to Universal and Sea World too. We have been to Myrtle Beach recently and DH said Gatlinburg is out too.
My vote is for Orlando, I just need to figure out a way to do it on a budget.

Any ideas?
My first thought when I started reading was Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg until I saw that your DH said it was out. Have you already done it? There are so many great things to do there, the weather is nice that time of year and a much shorter drive than Orlando.

My other thought is Washington DC~ so much to do there and you can stay on a great budget there if you plan carefully. So many great things for your kids ages, many of them free. Because you have a car, you can do things in that area you wouldn't be able to if you didn't. For example, The Marine Corps Museum in Quantico, Va. and the Udvar-Hazy Center (Smithsonian) that houses a space shuttle. Both are free.
You can do Mount Vernon, Monticello and Luray Caverns for an easy day trip from DC.
If you are looking for a theme park to put into the mix of the trip, Busch Gardens in Willimsburg isn't too much further of a drive and Kings Dominion (basically Kings Island) is a little more than an hour or so from DC.

Just a thought

Avenger's 1/2 Marathon!
minniebeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 08:10 PM   #7
Darcy03231
DIS Veteran

How about a cruise. My kids love them! If you go on an older ship the prices can be very reasonable, especially if you all share a cabin.
Darcy03231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 08:15 PM   #8
joviroxx
rectally reporters television produce

Have you done Washington DC? We did Spring Break there last year with 3 teen boys ranging from 13-17. They had a ball. It was a great trip. The museums , monuments and most sites are free. We rented bikes to see it all for 3 days. Other days we used the metro. They keep asking to go back!
joviroxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 08:21 PM   #9
gina2000
anonymous

Cruise....not a question...go for an inside cabin and enjoy!
Old 04-21-2012, 09:27 PM   #10
GJM
DIS Veteran

I agree a cruise - we just got back DH & I were in a balcony cabin and 3 kids 12, 14, 14 in an interior cabin right across the hall. They had the best time, plus DH & I got some time together. We got an amazing price on the cruise.
Old 04-21-2012, 09:37 PM   #11
low-key
DIS Veteran

go to a beach, is much cheaper then Orlando, what they will like best about any trip at this age is lookin at pretty girls
Old 04-21-2012, 10:22 PM   #12
ChrisFL
Disney/Universal Fan and MALE

How is 13 and 14 considered preteen?

Disney Parks Visited: MK - EPCOT - DHS - DAK - DL - DCA - HKDL - TDL - TDS
ChrisFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 11:16 PM   #13
ohiomom28
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by minniebeth View Post
My first thought when I started reading was Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg until I saw that your DH said it was out. Have you already done it? There are so many great things to do there, the weather is nice that time of year and a much shorter drive than Orlando.

My other thought is Washington DC~ so much to do there and you can stay on a great budget there if you plan carefully. So many great things for your kids ages, many of them free. Because you have a car, you can do things in that area you wouldn't be able to if you didn't. For example, The Marine Corps Museum in Quantico, Va. and the Udvar-Hazy Center (Smithsonian) that houses a space shuttle. Both are free.
You can do Mount Vernon, Monticello and Luray Caverns for an easy day trip from DC.
If you are looking for a theme park to put into the mix of the trip, Busch Gardens in Willimsburg isn't too much further of a drive and Kings Dominion (basically Kings Island) is a little more than an hour or so from DC.

Just a thought
Yes, we went to Gatlinburg 2 yrs ago and Myrtle Beach last year. I wouldn't mind MB again but DH used to live there, so he doesn't really want to go back.
Old 04-21-2012, 11:19 PM   #14
ohiomom28
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFL View Post
How is 13 and 14 considered preteen?
Sorry if I used the wrong term. They are both 12 now. Guess that's what I was thinking. They will both be 13 next Spring.
Old 04-22-2012, 05:52 AM   #15
maslex
DIS Veteran

I would also say a cruise. Cannot go wrong with those!!! And if you book now for next year, you'll likely get a good price. We've done Disney, Universal, Pigeon Forge, etc and hands down, the kids enjoy the cruise so much more. Although, I'm sure no matter where you go, they'll have a blast.
maslex is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: