Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2012, 05:12 PM   #1
megs1313
Mouseketeer

Which crowd prediction site is most accurate?

In your opinion, anyway?

We have always used touring plans.com and had a GREAT trip last time, but it was offseason and it wasn't particularly busy. This time we're going when it's going to be very busy, so I want to pay special attention to crowd forecasts and try to do my best to plan our way around some of the crowds (I know that this is somewhat impossible), but I'm not sure which crowd calendar I should trust.

I checked out touringplans and easywdw....they do not agree on all my dates. I'm sure there are other crowd predictor sites out there as well. Who do you trust most and why? Do you think I should create touring plans for multiple parks and wait until we get there to select based on the prediction that morning? It would be a lot of work, but maybe it would be worth it?

Am I too type A for words right now?
Old 04-19-2012, 05:23 PM   #2
PIRATEGIRL007
DIS Cast Member
OMG! I am about to jump up and down!
real technical words, aren't they!

In our experience easywdw.com is getting more and more ac curate and TP is getting less and less accurate. I think TP's main issue is recommending a park at least once a week and thier rating scale runs on a rolling year which is causing some glitches.

We still like TP for Lines app but go with easywdw for our park recommendations.
PIRATEGIRL007 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-19-2012, 05:38 PM   #3
pixarmom
DIS Veteran

First, I should mention that I have a long-standing attachment to the Unofficial Guide. Even though I don't use it anymore, I have always appreciated it. And I've had a touringplans.com subscription for at least two years. I currently have a touringplans subscription for both WDW and DL.

We were in DL last month and WDW last week and while I think the crowd predictions and wait time predictions are entertaining and interesting, I'm not basing my schedule on them anymore.

For example, we were at DL on a crowd level "2" day last month. It was a 10am opening with no MM hours. Super crowded and longest waits I've ever experienced in any Disney park in nearly 40 years - and it was the DL off-season. Then we were at WDW last week with the top 10% of crowd levels all year, but we arrive at MK at 6:30am for a 7am EMH and we're walking on rides all over the place. FL is empty for a couple hours. Didn't need to use FP, so no need to consider the implications of the new FP return time situation. Bottom line is that our "10" day at MK's 7am EMH during Spring Break was ten times more pleasant and uncrowded than our "2" day at DL's 10am opening.

I've been a Premier Passholder (DL and WDW) and now have regular WDW APs again. We've gone during super busy times and been at the "park to avoid" more times than I can count. I'm now planning my days based on other factors, getting to the parks early, hopping or heading back to the resort after lunch and going to Epcot, AK or a resort for dinner. So my advice for peak season is to focus on your touring plan, instead of the crowd predictions! Good luck and have a wonderful time!
Disneyland (x many), Polynesisan (x many), Beach Club (x many), Boardwalk (x3), Yacht Club, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge (x2), Animal Kingdom Lodge, Port Orleans French Quarter, Dolphin, Coronado Springs (x3), Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans-Riverside, All Star Sports, All Star Music, 2011 Disney Dream, 2012 Disney Wonder to Alaska, 2012 MNSSHP, 2013 Disneyland 10K, 2014 Princess Half Marathon and 5K

January 2015: WDW Marathon and 5K (AKL/GF/Poly)
April 2015: WL and AOA!
pixarmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 07:25 PM   #4
baler31
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIRATEGIRL007 View Post
In our experience easywdw.com is getting more and more ac curate and TP is getting less and less accurate. I think TP's main issue is recommending a park at least once a week and thier rating scale runs on a rolling year which is causing some glitches.

We still like TP for Lines app but go with easywdw for our park recommendations.
We have found this to be true as well and even though we have a touringplans subscription we are using easywdw for park day planning. We are passholders and take 3 or 4 trips a year, we have noticed a big difference in the last year.
baler31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 03:20 PM   #5
Doogan
Mouseketeer

One thing I have to give credit to TP for is that they tweet how well their predictions were against reality. They are usually pretty close to their predictions. It gives me some level of comfort that their predictions are accurate. That said, I check easywdw, too, since it's free. I don't find that they are that different for the weeks I've been interested in.
Doogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 05:57 PM   #6
Doug7856
DIS Veteran

I use both services, but generally find -- in my opinion -- that Josh's predictions are more accurate (easywdw.com). Love his photo shoots and snarky commentary too! I find that people who take Walt Disney World very seriously aren't as impressed with Josh's commentary.

Touringplans.com is great too and I tailor the plans to our touring style and goals.
Old 04-20-2012, 07:20 PM   #7
disneykittin
Mouseketeer

We went during Spring Break this year and went by easywdw's crowd calendar. We had an amazing time, and crowd levels were WAY lower than I was expecting! I think it was more crowded 2 years ago when we went towards the beginning of March (and it wasn't even Spring Break then!) We didn't use a crowd calendar that year. I've never tried Touring Plans (mostly because I don't want to pay for it lol) but easywdw was great, in our experience.
Old 04-20-2012, 07:30 PM   #8
Dan Murphy
We are family.

EasyWDW also. And TGM's best days work has always been good, though not current subscriber. Josh and Mike use similar ideas.

Why she runs.....

Random acts of kindness, no matter how small, are never really lost. They live forever in the hearts of those who are fortunate enough to be on the receiving end of them----Lady M
dmurphydis@sbcglobal.net

Dan Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: