Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2014, 03:14 PM   #841
kimerinc
Ariels Mom

For those of you who have run this, are the roads well maintained or is it going to be like a trail run dodging potholes in the road?
1994 RCCL 3 Day, 1998 Princess 7 Day Western Carribean, 2000 RCCL 10 day Hawaii, 2005 RCCL 6 Day Western Carribean, 2006 DCL 7 Day Double Dip, 12/8/2007 Eastern Carribean, 2009 DCL Panama Canal Crossing, 2010 DCL Alaska, 2011 DCL Alaska
Disneyland 1992, 1994, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005 twice. Disneyworld, 2002, 2006 (feb), 2006(dec), 2011, 2012, 2013
kimerinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 03:34 PM   #842
DitkaFan
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimerinc View Post
For those of you who have run this, are the roads well maintained or is it going to be like a trail run dodging potholes in the road?
When I ran it about a year ago it was very well maintained. It was like running on a very nice asphalt walking path.

2014 - Jan: 7 day RCCL Allure of the Seas Western Caribbean, Sept:8 days at BWI in WDW, and Oct: 4 days on Disney Dream Bahamas with Castaway Cay Double Dip
2013 - Spring:3 days at Art of Animation in Disney World followed by 7 days Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean and Fall: 5 days at Port Orleans in WDW
2012 - 6 days at All Star Music in Disney World followed by 4 days Disney Dream Bahamas
2011 - 3 days Disney Dream Bahamas followed by 3 days at the Polynesian WDW
DitkaFan is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-18-2014, 04:26 PM   #843
SillyInventor
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DitkaFan View Post
On a side note - I am looking forward to running the Castaway Cay 5k two days in a row on the upcoming October 23rd double dip
Not to bother you, but I read on this board that on The double dips The CC5k is only run once, on The first day at CC. So please research to avoid disappointment.
Have a great cruise!
Old 07-18-2014, 05:03 PM   #844
Linda67
Has a Masters in Margaritas

Quote:
Originally Posted by SillyInventor View Post
Not to bother you, but I read on this board that on The double dips The CC5k is only run once, on The first day at CC. So please research to avoid disappointment. Have a great cruise!
Oh that's a real shame it it turns out to be the case
I'm on the Oct 23rd DD sailing and was hoping it would be ran both days :-(
Linda67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 05:18 PM   #845
su_A_ve
DIS Veteran

Quote:
This past December it was fine. You do need to know that it's a tough course because there's no shade whatsoever. There is water available but still.

Regarding medals, my experience was as follows. Back in August 2012, they didn't have the medals, but at the time they gave us certificates and we also all took a picture with Goofy in a jog suit. After the picture, he wanted to run with us, but as impatient as he was, he started to run but in the opposite direction
Also, at the time, sign up was done the morning of, and they had a paper signup sheet.

This past December, it was organized by RunDisney. You had to sign up at least the night before at the port adventures desk. Those who showed up in the morning at the last minute were told they could run with us but would be on their own. They would not get bibs nor medals as they had only for those that signed up.

At the end of the race, there was a couple that were last minute signups. But since there were a couple of no shows, they got the medals.

Oh, and on this past trip, no certificate nor no photo with Goofy. I asked about the certificate and was told that when it was being given at the time because they didn't have medals then. Back then when I asked about the medal, I was told they were redesigning them - they never did though.
'13 (5n Wonder), '13 (POR Xmas), '13 (3n Magic Post Xmas), '14 (CSR SWW)

°(((=((===°°°(((===========================================
su_A_ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 06:55 PM   #846
Cathy718
Powered by Pixie Dust!

My daughter just ran the race this past Tuesday and she said that the roads were fine and she had no problem.

Carnival - April 1988
Disney Dream - May 2011
Disney Fantasy - May 2012
Norwegian Breakaway - May 2013
Norwegian Breakaway - Aug 2013
Disney Dream - July 2014
Disney Magic - December 2015 Back to Back

Cathy718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 07:28 PM   #847
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmolliesmum View Post
i certainly wont be running it i am however really looking forward to taking part and having something different to do whilst on vacation!
I didn't mean "run" run. . I just get tied of writing "do" all the time. I do run/walk, or more like jog/walk, so it's not like I necessarily "run" either.

Quote:
It's a road. Runway originally, I think. No worries.

Quote:
Not to bother you, but I read on this board that on The double dips The CC5k is only run once, on The first day at CC. So please research to avoid disappointment. Have a great cruise!
I have never read this. Everything I've read about double dips says it's run on both days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by su_A_ve View Post
This past December it was fine. You do need to know that it's a tough course because there's no shade whatsoever. There is water available but still. Regarding medals, my experience was as follows. Back in August 2012, they didn't have the medals, but at the time they gave us certificates and we also all took a picture with Goofy in a jog suit. After the picture, he wanted to run with us, but as impatient as he was, he started to run but in the opposite direction Also, at the time, sign up was done the morning of, and they had a paper signup sheet. This past December, it was organized by RunDisney. You had to sign up at least the night before at the port adventures desk. Those who showed up in the morning at the last minute were told they could run with us but would be on their own. They would not get bibs nor medals as they had only for those that signed up. At the end of the race, there was a couple that were last minute signups. But since there were a couple of no shows, they got the medals. Oh, and on this past trip, no certificate nor no photo with Goofy. I asked about the certificate and was told that when it was being given at the time because they didn't have medals then. Back then when I asked about the medal, I was told they were redesigning them - they never did though.
Yep. 2012 was a bad year for medals. That's when we were planning our early 2013 cruise so I read a lot about it! But 2013 was fine for medals. But they did get rid of goofy and the certificates in that time, too.

I read of one ship this year, one sailing actually, if memory serves, that didn't have the medals. Some guest services person said it was a redesign, but that turned out to be nonsense. I think they just needed to get a new shipment loaded when in PC again.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 04:41 PM   #848
Linda67
Has a Masters in Margaritas

Oh I do hope it's ran on both days Bumbershoot
Oh well, I guess we will find out soon enough :-)
Linda67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 05:24 PM   #849
Patsydust
Earning My Ears

I ran this past February 2014! I did not have any problems with the path or track. There was plenty of water at the beginning, middle and end of the race. I registered for the race probably 1-3 days before on ship, not sure exact time, but it didn't seem like there would be any shortage of bibs or materials. I was a bit out of shape and hadn't run in awhile, and even though it was really hot, it was an easy, relaxed, fun race. Finished at a decent time and just enjoyed the whole experience. Lot of medals for all. Afterwards they have a shop for CCrun shirts and pins.

My Cruises: Disney Wonder 2001, Disney Dream Maiden Voyage 2011, Disney Fantasy 2014.
WDW: April 2001, February 2014.
Runs: Castaway 5k
Patsydust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 11:14 AM   #850
KJay
DIS Veteran

Seems like the start time can vary. I plan to run the 5K, but I also want to register for the stingray encounter, at the earliest possible time I could do after the race. Assuming I'll finish the race in about 45 minutes, what time slot (10:00, 11:00, 12:00, etc) do you think I could safely do for stingray registration?
Old 07-21-2014, 11:17 AM   #851
DitkaFan
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Not to bother you, but I read on this board that on The double dips The CC5k is only run once, on The first day at CC. So please research to avoid disappointment.
Have a great cruise!
Just because its not officially being organized both days, doesn't mean that my wife and I can't run the route both days

2014 - Jan: 7 day RCCL Allure of the Seas Western Caribbean, Sept:8 days at BWI in WDW, and Oct: 4 days on Disney Dream Bahamas with Castaway Cay Double Dip
2013 - Spring:3 days at Art of Animation in Disney World followed by 7 days Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean and Fall: 5 days at Port Orleans in WDW
2012 - 6 days at All Star Music in Disney World followed by 4 days Disney Dream Bahamas
2011 - 3 days Disney Dream Bahamas followed by 3 days at the Polynesian WDW
DitkaFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 11:22 AM   #852
maiapapaya
Totally DIS-tracted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJay View Post
Seems like the start time can vary. I plan to run the 5K, but I also want to register for the stingray encounter, at the earliest possible time I could do after the race. Assuming I'll finish the race in about 45 minutes, what time slot (10:00, 11:00, 12:00, etc) do you think I could safely do for stingray registration?
I would definitely not register for the 10:00. Ours was a really big 5k group and it took quite a while to get everyone organized and walked off the ship. If I'm remembering correctly it was at least 9:15 before we started the run.

me DH DD23 DD12 DD9 Finnegan Daisy
1971 offsite ~ 1988 CBR ~ 2009 Poly ~ 2010 Poly ~ 2011 Poly CL ~ 2012 Poly CL ~ 2013 Poly ~ 2014 Fantasy Western Caribbean ~ 2014 GF ~ 2015 Poly
maiapapaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 03:31 PM   #853
BWVNUT
Growing Older is Mandatory; Growing Up is Optional ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by maiapapaya View Post
I would definitely not register for the 10:00. Ours was a really big 5k group and it took quite a while to get everyone organized and walked off the ship. If I'm remembering correctly it was at least 9:15 before we started the run.
I would agree! We were on the Fantasy this past week (on CC last Friday). Meeting time for the 5K was 9:15. We didn't get off the ship until around 9:45am and were walking by the area where the jet skis area around 9:55. I paid close attention to the time because my family had 10am jet ski reservations but were trying to 'see me off' before heading to their excursion - which of course didn't happen.

Not sure exactly when we started running ...

Nov 78; Nov 79; April 86 (CA); Nov 88; April 98; April 99; June 05 POFQ; Feb 06 BWV; July 06 BWV; Oct 06 OKW; Feb 07 BWV; April 07 BWV; Oct 07 BCV; Dec 07 BWV; Feb 08 BWV; July 08 BWV; Aug/Sept 08 ASMu Castle Suite Tour!!; Feb 09 VWL/BWV; Sept 09 BWV; Dec 09 BWV and GF; Feb 10 BWV; Sept 10 AKV Kidani; April 11 AKV Jambo; Sept 12 BWV; Jan 13 Offsite; July 13 DCL Dream; Nov 13 AKV Kidani
BWVNUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 01:58 PM   #854
russ0907
Earning My Ears

Is there an age restriction? I heard 12 years and older, but my DD 8 year old has completed many 5ks and wants us to do this as a family. Will they allow her to go ashore with us and do the run?
russ0907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 02:42 PM   #855
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by russ0907 View Post
Is there an age restriction? I heard 12 years and older, but my DD 8 year old has completed many 5ks and wants us to do this as a family. Will they allow her to go ashore with us and do the run?
Ever since rundisney got more involved in this, they've had a stricter age restriction. I know that even before that, 8 year olds weren't able to run it, or my son would have run with me. Some sailings have said 10 and others have said 12, from what I've read this lasts year, but 8...no, don't count on it.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: