Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2014, 07:06 AM   #751
TwinPrincessMermaids
DIS Veteran

Health is wealth, Dawn. You are doing great. Eating is 100% natural and never your enemy. (You wouldn't punish yourself when you have to go to the ladies room or drink a glass of water, right? Eating is the same thing, its natural and normal for survival.) What you want to do is eat the things your body loves and ditch anything that could spike your blood sugar (which makes you very, very hungry!) And keep the protein and veggies and healthy fats like avocados (yum!) And flaxseed oil (omegas like salmon and makes the BEST salad dressing) because healthy fats tell your brain to shut off hunger mode and they satisfy you. Protein for your muscles. Use beautiful steamed broccoli anywhere you would noodles, or spaghetti squash under your spaghetti sauce. Its SOOO good. Maybe a bit of feta or goat cheese on top. NEVER EAT FAST FOOD AGAIN. Not kidding. This is the exception to eating for survival, this stuff is really, really bad. If I "have" to eat fast food, I run to Kroger or Walmart and wala, you can get a whole cooked chicken and usually fresh for the price of one fast food lunch, but you get the WHOLE chicken. Do a search for my kale salad recipe. Every single person I have given it to is over the moon for them. A huge bag of kale at Walmart is $2.78. It isn't just surviving, it is Really Really tasty! (I have a friend who is almost too small for XS?! I didn't even know people had that "problem". Anyway she works out with me to keep her anxiety level sane, likes her muscles, and even though she is NOT dieting cuz she does not want to lose weight at all, she eats our kalesalads every day and we can't wait for them. It is soooo tasty. Lightly steam kale til it's still bright green, add some grilled chicken or natural lunch meat turkey for protein, artichoke hearts, beets (definitely don't knock until you try them! We can't run out of them), apple cider vinegar mixed with flaxseed oil and water for dressing, some feta or goat cheese sprinkles on top! If I have steamed broccoli, that goes in it, even asparagus. Whatever you have on hand. I might even pop a spicy BBQ sauce over the top for some zing. Anyway we bring lunch with us everyday because you can't find food this good anywhere to buy. The kale has a ton of really good vitamins and we haven't had a sick day all year. Even my fast food eating husband asks me to make him a kale salad for lunch (he is becoming reformed.)
Almond milk with a piece of frozen banana and a chocolate protein shake and wow 30 awesome grams of protein in less than 2 min to make as you head out the door. Don't be afraid of eggs, even the yoke, they are full of good stuff and the idea that eggs give you heart attacks is from like the 70s. (We don't drive cars or use phones from the 70s, why would the health be any different?)

And of course, walking and running and some weights. Exercise will really help keep the hunger down because it helps naturally to keep blood sugar levels to a safer low. When you have a goal like we do, nothing can stop you! We want to be able to walk all over the parks, and run the 5k, and feel good doing it. Both Twinkie and I have lost over 13 pounds since December. I've taken clothes out that I have not been able to wear for 18 months, it's SO fun, nothing can compare to that. Keep doing your training and remember that one bad day or even one bad week does NOT mean its over or you failed. You pick up the next day or week and you keep living and making progress and every bit, every pound, every mile is a victory.

Happy 5k training every one!
~05/14 DCL Magic Castaway Cay, WDW & SeaWorld Anniversary Mermaid trip ~ 04/13 DCL Dream & WDW ~ 02/13 CCL Dream V.I.s & WDW ~ 02/12 CCL Conquest Jamaica & Grand Cayman ~ 02/11 CCL Triumph Roatan ~ 09/08 Saratoga Springs WDW ~ 01/07 CCL Holiday Costa Maya~ 11/05 WDW ~ 10/04 Hurricane Ivan Getaway at WDW ~ 12/02 RCCL Legend OTS Hawaii ~ 01/02 WDW, Universal, SeaWorld ~ 6/00 Renais. CL Barcelona - Portugal ~ 99 RCCL Grandeur OTS East Carib.~ 93 RCCL Sovereign OTS East Carib. ~ Many previous family WDW trips~
TwinPrincessMermaids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 08:36 AM   #752
ksloane
DIS Veteran

I completed my first 5K Saturday - the Castaway Cay 5K - Woohoo!

They did give out medals. They had plenty of shirts. They had pins and hats. The cashier was surprised they had pins. He thought they didn't sale them anymore, but there were plenty.

I was on the Dream. They gave kids numbers and medals that were clearly not old enough.

It was really, really hot and it was a cool day (high of 70 degrees). I was slow and steady, but I finished (and I wasn't last)

My time +the time it took me to get out my phone and take the picture

Me at the Finish Line
WDW: July 2006 - POR; December 2007 - POP; August 2008 - POP; June 2010 - ASMovies & POP; November 2010 - Global Resort Home; June 2011 - POP; October 2012 - ASMusic; June 2013 - CBR & AoA; October 2014 - Pop
DCL: June 2010 - Wonder; June 2012 - B2B Magic; December 2013/January 2014 - B2B Wonder; March 2014 - Dream; August 2015 - Wonder
ksloane is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-17-2014, 12:43 PM   #753
TwinPrincessMermaids
DIS Veteran

Great job! Great idea to take this photo, thats what we will do too!
~05/14 DCL Magic Castaway Cay, WDW & SeaWorld Anniversary Mermaid trip ~ 04/13 DCL Dream & WDW ~ 02/13 CCL Dream V.I.s & WDW ~ 02/12 CCL Conquest Jamaica & Grand Cayman ~ 02/11 CCL Triumph Roatan ~ 09/08 Saratoga Springs WDW ~ 01/07 CCL Holiday Costa Maya~ 11/05 WDW ~ 10/04 Hurricane Ivan Getaway at WDW ~ 12/02 RCCL Legend OTS Hawaii ~ 01/02 WDW, Universal, SeaWorld ~ 6/00 Renais. CL Barcelona - Portugal ~ 99 RCCL Grandeur OTS East Carib.~ 93 RCCL Sovereign OTS East Carib. ~ Many previous family WDW trips~
Old 03-17-2014, 02:29 PM   #754
TwinPrincessTWINKIE
'The other TwinPrincessMermaid'

I currently run with a fan around my neck and freezer packs tucked into various places. I definitely plan to do so on Castaway Cay.

Does anyone know if the Magic has freezers in the cabins so I bring and freeze my freezer packs? Otherwise... I suppose it'll be ziploc baggies with ice...
TwinPrincessTWINKIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 02:33 PM   #755
Maddysdaddy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawne98 View Post
Thanks this pass week I did go on a treadmill and I liked it a lot. I did 1 mile in 15 mins then I was done lol I was at 3.5, I don't think I can do a ran on a treadmill I would be the one to ran off of it LOL
If you look at my post about a half dozen or so above yours, you will see that I went thru the same journey that you are going on right now.

One word of advice - if you are training on a treadmill as opposed to a track or sidewalk, you should be walking/running on an incline to help compensate for the extra momentum that the machine gives to you (i.e. the movement of your legs on the belt requires less effort than simply running, where you are responsible for all movement). I did alot of reading when I first started C25K, and read numerous stories of people who worked up to being able to complete a 5K on a treadmill and then pooped out halfway thru a real run.
Maddysdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 02:37 PM   #756
TwinPrincessMermaids
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddysdaddy View Post
If you look at my post about a half dozen or so above yours, you will see that I went thru the same journey that you are going on right now.

One word of advice - if you are training on a treadmill as opposed to a track or sidewalk, you should be walking/running on an incline to help compensate for the extra momentum that the machine gives to you (i.e. the movement of your legs on the belt requires less effort than simply running, where you are responsible for all movement). I did alot of reading when I first started C25K, and read numerous stories of people who worked up to being able to complete a 5K on a treadmill and then pooped out halfway thru a real run.
True! The treadmill moves UNDER you and you just have to keep up moving over it (which can be hard enough ). When you get outside, YOU have to PUSH YOURSELF across the pavement, so self propelling. It does use slightly different muscles. I try to remind myself not to bounce up and down like an old aerobic jog style or something, but to use my butt to 'pull' myself forward, and my quads to 'push off' and keep pretty streamlined, and keep my weight pretty much on the back of my heels (not on my toes to spare my knees). Outdoor training of course is best, but treadmill helps through this awful winter! Spring is almost here!
Old 03-17-2014, 02:51 PM   #757
ksloane
DIS Veteran

Quote:

This is a great tip. Thanks!
WDW: July 2006 - POR; December 2007 - POP; August 2008 - POP; June 2010 - ASMovies & POP; November 2010 - Global Resort Home; June 2011 - POP; October 2012 - ASMusic; June 2013 - CBR & AoA; October 2014 - Pop
DCL: June 2010 - Wonder; June 2012 - B2B Magic; December 2013/January 2014 - B2B Wonder; March 2014 - Dream; August 2015 - Wonder
ksloane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 03:28 PM   #758
Dug720
SQUIRREL!!

Quote:
If you look at my post about a half dozen or so above yours, you will see that I went thru the same journey that you are going on right now. One word of advice - if you are training on a treadmill as opposed to a track or sidewalk, you should be walking/running on an incline to help compensate for the extra momentum that the machine gives to you (i.e. the movement of your legs on the belt requires less effort than simply running, where you are responsible for all movement). I did alot of reading when I first started C25K, and read numerous stories of people who worked up to being able to complete a 5K on a treadmill and then pooped out halfway thru a real run.
They have actually disproven the incline thing. If it makes you feel better, do it. But unless you are über elite, it makes NO difference.
Old 03-17-2014, 03:54 PM   #759
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Something I did accidentally was that I had the speed set UNDER what I was actually doing. I noticed this ages into training, when I noticed I was at the same running pace as those next to me, but my speed was at 3.9 and theirs was at 7-8. So I was doing a LOT more work than they were.

This worked out wonderfully (a happy mistake!) because when I got onto the ground I actually found it to be *easier* than running the way I had been running on the treadmill.

Of course now that I have figured it out, it's really hard to keep the setting down. Because if you have the treadmill doing more work for you, your workout is finished faster.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 07:30 PM   #760
Fellowship9798
The face of a child can say it all, especially the mouth part of the face
I'm holding out for something in California

According to the cruise activities staff, there were over 250 people in our Castaway Cay 5k today from the Fantasy. They said it was a record number for the Fantasy. This was not a small event with numbers like that and I wouldn't be surprised if they start charging something for it but nothing was mentioned and I didn't ask.

They did hand out the plastic medals to finishers and there were plenty of shirts and hats for purchase at the shop. Glad I signed up and we had a great day afterwards on the island.

Step 1: Convert girlfriend (now wife) into Disney fan. MISSION COMPLETE
Step 2: Brainwash my firstborn to similar state. MISSION COMPLETE
Step 3: Brainwash second child before she knows any better. MISSION COMPLETE

What's next? Work on the dog?
Fellowship9798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 01:47 PM   #761
jahber
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dug720 View Post
They have actually disproven the incline thing. If it makes you feel better, do it. But unless you are über elite, it makes NO difference.
Yep; you can read about it at runnersworld.com. I'm faster on the treadmill, but it's because I live in Fl. It's a lovely 70-something-degree temperature- and humidity-controlled environment on the treadmill. Outside it's typically 80+ (both degrees and humidity). I may be one of the few people who actually LIKE the treadmill
Dream 4-night Bahamas 5/12
WDW too many times to count!
jahber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 02:30 PM   #762
maiapapaya
Totally DIS-tracted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fellowship9798 View Post
According to the cruise activities staff, there were over 250 people in our Castaway Cay 5k today from the Fantasy. They said it was a record number for the Fantasy. This was not a small event with numbers like that and I wouldn't be surprised if they start charging something for it but nothing was mentioned and I didn't ask.

They did hand out the plastic medals to finishers and there were plenty of shirts and hats for purchase at the shop. Glad I signed up and we had a great day afterwards on the island.
Ditto! DH and I were right there with you in that horde of over 250 runners We enjoyed the run and had a great day. Our DD's say they would like to do the 5k with us next year.

Which reminds me I wanted to mention since I don't think I've read it here - they seem to have lowered the age of the run to 10. I double checked over a few days and the Daily Navigator said the age is 10. There were several kids on our run who definitely looked like they weren't 12, so it must have been the correct info.

me DH DD22 DD11 DD9 Finnegan
1971 offsite ~ 1988 CBR ~ 2009 Poly ~ 2010 Poly ~ 2011 Poly CL ~ 2012 Poly CL ~ 2013 Poly ~ 2014 Fantasy Western Caribbean ~ 2014 GF ~ 2015 Magic Mediterranean
maiapapaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 02:40 PM   #763
disprincess4ever
DIS Veteran

Does anyone have a map of the route or can describe the route for me?

Disney Fantasy: 7 night Western Caribbean June 2012
Disney Magic: 12 night Mediterranean w/ Venice June 2013, 4 night Bahaman April 2014
disprincess4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 03:11 PM   #764
maiapapaya
Totally DIS-tracted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by disprincess4ever View Post
Does anyone have a map of the route or can describe the route for me?
I don't have a map handy, but I can describe the route. They walk you from the ship to the start which is in the area on CC near where the shops and equipment rentals are. When you head out you take an immediate right, run for a few minutes and then a left. You run briefly down the runway to the bike trail (about 1000m total). The bike trail is a loop. You run to the right into the bike loop. It's about 500m around the loop. When you exit the loop you go right and run down to the end of the runway, turn around and head back to the bike loop (about 1000m out & back). You run around the bike loop one more time. When you exit you turn left and head back towards the start. You run briefly on the runway, turn right then turn left and run towards the finish line (which is where you started!)

me DH DD22 DD11 DD9 Finnegan
1971 offsite ~ 1988 CBR ~ 2009 Poly ~ 2010 Poly ~ 2011 Poly CL ~ 2012 Poly CL ~ 2013 Poly ~ 2014 Fantasy Western Caribbean ~ 2014 GF ~ 2015 Magic Mediterranean
maiapapaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 06:45 AM   #765
masylimed
Mouseketeer

Can anyone post pictures of recent medals and t-shirts? Recall reading that they were redesigning them and possible were no longer available.

Thanks!
masylimed is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: