Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-16-2014, 08:23 PM   #676
jahber
DIS Veteran
 
jahber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Orlando
Posts: 1,225

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamieH View Post
Well, in preparation for our 3/15-3/22 Fantasy cruise, I decided last fall that I wanted to try the CC5K for the first time (6th cruise). I made it to week 5 of C25K program and then had to quit for a couple of months due to surgery. I started all over again after Jan 1 and am on Week 8....I can't believe it, but on the treadmill today....I actually went beyond program to 4 mile mark which is amazing for me. I'm hoping it warms up enough around here (Kansas) to try the 5K outside before our cruise. My question for those of you that have done it and especially in March, how much different is it on the island than at home on treadmill or even outside? I remember the area being flat when we rode bikes on the trail, so that should help. How is the humidity in March and temp at ~9am? Also, on the Fantasy, how many laps on walking/run deck is 1 mile? Seems like its 2 1/2 laps, but is that correct? Now I just have to keep this up for 4 more weeks! I NEVER could have done it without the Couch 2 5K app. It really worked. Thanks
To be honest, the heat and humidity are pretty bad. I ran it in November and it was HOT by the time we started (about 8:45), as March likely will be. I'm from Orlando, so it's the weather I'm used to running in, though. It will be more of an adjustment coming from up north. I carried a water bottle because I'm pregnant, but if I hadn't been pregnant I still would have stopped twice or so (you run by water several times). Just drink lots of water in the days before and during the run and take it easy. It's a fun run, not a race, so listen to your body and have FUN! And congratulations on your progress!
__________________
Wonder 5-night Western 10/14
Dream 4-night Bahamas 11/13
Wonder 7-night Alaska 9/13
Dream 4-night Bahamas Halloween 2012
Fantasy 7-night Western 9/12
Dream 4-night Bahamas 5/12
WDW too many times to count!
jahber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 09:47 PM   #677
TamieH
Mouseketeer
 
TamieH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Topeka, KS
Posts: 295

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahber View Post
To be honest, the heat and humidity are pretty bad. I ran it in November and it was HOT by the time we started (about 8:45), as March likely will be. I'm from Orlando, so it's the weather I'm used to running in, though. It will be more of an adjustment coming from up north. I carried a water bottle because I'm pregnant, but if I hadn't been pregnant I still would have stopped twice or so (you run by water several times). Just drink lots of water in the days before and during the run and take it easy. It's a fun run, not a race, so listen to your body and have FUN! And congratulations on your progress!
Thanks for feedback and support. Believe me...my speed or time is not an issue...I just want to finish.

Another question...I've read above that the women's CC5K runs small. If I normally wear a women's medium shirt...what size should I have my husband pick up for me while I'm running? Also, do most of you females get both the regular CC5K shirt and the women's? Thanks
TamieH is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 02-16-2014, 11:24 PM   #678
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran
 
bumbershoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Tacoma WA
Posts: 46,112

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamieH View Post
Another question...I've read above that the women's CC5K runs small. If I normally wear a women's medium shirt...what size should I have my husband pick up for me while I'm running? Also, do most of you females get both the regular CC5K shirt and the women's? Thanks
This might be outdated because it's from October (then again, the shirt was relatively new then, or at least I hadn't heard of the women's cut at that time), but... In most shirts I'm about a small now. I do have a chest and strong arms, but in general, smalls are working for me.

In the woman's shirt I got a Medium and it is nearly skin tight.

But a guy that I had met before the 5K should have been a small in Men's, and he had to size up, too, in the Men's sizes. So they seem to run small no matter what.
__________________
-molly + robert + eamon (10!!)

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 11:31 AM   #679
ksloane
DIS Veteran
 
ksloane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,781

Started week 3 of Couch to 5K yesterday....can't wait to continue training at Castaway Cay!!!
__________________
~*Kimberly*~
WDW: July 2006 - POR; December 2007 - POP; August 2008 - POP; June 2010 - ASMovies & POP; November 2010 - Global Resort Home; June 2011 - POP; October 2012 - ASMusic; June 2013 - CBR & AoA; October 2014 - Pop
DCL: June 2010 - Wonder; June 2012 - B2B Magic; December 2013/January 2014 - B2B Wonder; March 2014 - Dream; August 2015 - Wonder
ksloane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 11:40 AM   #680
TwinPrincessMermaids
DIS Veteran
 
TwinPrincessMermaids's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: KY
Posts: 3,463

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksloane View Post
Started week 3 of Couch to 5K yesterday....can't wait to continue training at Castaway Cay!!!
We are all training hard too! So is Twinkie! What a difference it makes to know we have this to train for. And today, I crossed my 10 pound mark, and saw a number I hadn't seen since Oct of 2012!

Keep it up, guys! We will be able to wear our shirts proudly!
__________________
~05/14 DCL Magic Castaway Cay, WDW & SeaWorld Anniversary Mermaid trip ~ 04/13 DCL Dream & WDW ~ 02/13 CCL Dream V.I.s & WDW ~ 02/12 CCL Conquest Jamaica & Grand Cayman ~ 02/11 CCL Triumph Roatan ~ 09/08 Saratoga Springs WDW ~ 01/07 CCL Holiday Costa Maya~ 11/05 WDW ~ 10/04 Hurricane Ivan Getaway at WDW ~ 12/02 RCCL Legend OTS Hawaii ~ 01/02 WDW, Universal, SeaWorld ~ 6/00 Renais. CL Barcelona - Portugal ~ 99 RCCL Grandeur OTS East Carib.~ 93 RCCL Sovereign OTS East Carib. ~ Many previous family WDW trips~
TwinPrincessMermaids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 12:02 PM   #681
ksloane
DIS Veteran
 
ksloane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,781

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinPrincessMermaids View Post
We are all training hard too! So is Twinkie! What a difference it makes to know we have this to train for. And today, I crossed my 10 pound mark, and saw a number I hadn't seen since Oct of 2012!

Keep it up, guys! We will be able to wear our shirts proudly!
That's awesome. I hope to start seeing some weight fall off soon. Yesterday I started adding some small strength training to my daily routine.
__________________
~*Kimberly*~
WDW: July 2006 - POR; December 2007 - POP; August 2008 - POP; June 2010 - ASMovies & POP; November 2010 - Global Resort Home; June 2011 - POP; October 2012 - ASMusic; June 2013 - CBR & AoA; October 2014 - Pop
DCL: June 2010 - Wonder; June 2012 - B2B Magic; December 2013/January 2014 - B2B Wonder; March 2014 - Dream; August 2015 - Wonder
ksloane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 12:41 PM   #682
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran
 
bumbershoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Tacoma WA
Posts: 46,112

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksloane View Post

That's awesome. I hope to start seeing some weight fall off soon. Yesterday I started adding some small strength training to my daily routine.
Expect the scale to halt progress for a little bit while your body gets used to the strength training. Just watch the body changes for now. It's ok and normal for that sort of training to cause a delay in losing even as you tone up and get smaller. Just keep doing what you're doing!
__________________
-molly + robert + eamon (10!!)

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 01:06 PM   #683
Maddysdaddy
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Calgary, Alberta Canada
Posts: 706

Just ran the CC5k last Friday. When we finally disembarked around 10, it was already over 80 farenheit. Coming from cold, snowy Canada, the CC5k was the first time I had run outside (except for a few runs around deck 4 on the Fantasy). I was very thankful that before the cruise I had purchased one of those water bottles with the strap that fit in the palm of my hand, as I was sucking down water like it was going out of style.

As I've noted in other threads, I started the C25K program in October, in the hopes of running the CC5K. My first week of the program, I couldn't even finish a 60 second run, and I'm proud to say that even though I was as slow as molasses, I "ran" then entire course (46:08) - which was surprising, as my longest run to date had only been around 30 minutes. There were times that I wanted to move from a jog to a walk, but I wanted to be able to look into the eyes of my daughter and tell her honestly that I had run the entire way.

Trust me when I say that if I can do it after six knee operations and being Pooh sized (although not nearly as Pooh sized as I was when I changed my eating habits last summer) anyone can do it.
Maddysdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 01:40 PM   #684
TwinPrincessMermaids
DIS Veteran
 
TwinPrincessMermaids's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: KY
Posts: 3,463

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddysdaddy View Post
Just ran the CC5k last Friday.
Trust me when I say that if I can do it after six knee operations and being Pooh sized (although not nearly as Pooh sized as I was when I changed my eating habits last summer) anyone can do it.
Great job! Therein lies the key: changing eating habits. Exercise being King of Conditioning and awesome for utilizing the energy you do eat and upping your metabolism as you build muscle which burns energy all the time, exercise will only get you so far. You will look great and have great endurance! But if you want the scale to move, it's GOTTA be the food.

Great job, guys!
__________________
~05/14 DCL Magic Castaway Cay, WDW & SeaWorld Anniversary Mermaid trip ~ 04/13 DCL Dream & WDW ~ 02/13 CCL Dream V.I.s & WDW ~ 02/12 CCL Conquest Jamaica & Grand Cayman ~ 02/11 CCL Triumph Roatan ~ 09/08 Saratoga Springs WDW ~ 01/07 CCL Holiday Costa Maya~ 11/05 WDW ~ 10/04 Hurricane Ivan Getaway at WDW ~ 12/02 RCCL Legend OTS Hawaii ~ 01/02 WDW, Universal, SeaWorld ~ 6/00 Renais. CL Barcelona - Portugal ~ 99 RCCL Grandeur OTS East Carib.~ 93 RCCL Sovereign OTS East Carib. ~ Many previous family WDW trips~
TwinPrincessMermaids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 02:31 PM   #685
aylnine
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 36

Strength training and stretching are super important too! It helps reduce injury if you can do it. I skipped a few weeks of running but kept doing other cardio and strength exercises, and managed to pretty much keep on where I left off. I avoid other too-high-impact cardio exercises if I'm running that day, ex. jumping jacks.
__________________
aylnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 03:06 PM   #686
ksloane
DIS Veteran
 
ksloane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,781

Anyone have specific suggestions for pre/post workouts to prevent/nurture shin splints. I've bought multiple pairs of running shoes and while I have reduced them with new/different shoes, they aren't gone...would love any tips.
__________________
~*Kimberly*~
WDW: July 2006 - POR; December 2007 - POP; August 2008 - POP; June 2010 - ASMovies & POP; November 2010 - Global Resort Home; June 2011 - POP; October 2012 - ASMusic; June 2013 - CBR & AoA; October 2014 - Pop
DCL: June 2010 - Wonder; June 2012 - B2B Magic; December 2013/January 2014 - B2B Wonder; March 2014 - Dream; August 2015 - Wonder
ksloane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 03:18 PM   #687
TwinPrincessMermaids
DIS Veteran
 
TwinPrincessMermaids's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: KY
Posts: 3,463

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksloane View Post
Anyone have specific suggestions for pre/post workouts to prevent/nurture shin splints. I've bought multiple pairs of running shoes and while I have reduced them with new/different shoes, they aren't gone...would love any tips.
This is pretty subjective. I had a horrible time with shins having piercing stabbing pains last year during my runs, and I have been running for a while and never had it before. It wasn't shoe related in my case. I had been running in the morning on a cup of coffee and once I upped my hydration, they were a LOT better. I also checked my supplements, I take liquid calcium and magnesium every day. Every now and then when I find that the pain in the shins is coming back, I can trace it back to dehydration or calcium/magnesium deficiency (maybe forgot to take it for a few days.)

I also do a shin stretch where I 'crouch' with my heels off the ground on the balls of my toes (butt almost on the ground) and I can get a good shin stretch that way. I stretch the front of my shins and my calves well, keep my supplements up and hydrate. AND every now and then, I treat myself to a sports massage! because someone who is familiar will note that you can sometimes get these raised ligment 'bumps' on your shins where the bone and tendons attach because of all the increased 'building' it is doing. I found that when the LMT works on where the tendons attach around the knees and down the shins and to the ankles, wow what a difference! It was the combination of the massage (only 1 actually did it last summer and got me back on track!), the supplements and the hydration, and I have been able to keep them at about 2-5% the pain they were! I also work on my run, making sure I use my butt and quad muscles to PUSH and PULL me over the ground instead of up and down running. You should always be moving FORWARD, and not bouncing much. You will know when you get a good stride! Be sure and run with your butt, not on the front of your toes (heel first, I guess).

I find that my body tells me stuff, it really does. For me, for some reason, when it came to the calcium and hydration, it chose stabbing pains floating around my shins to do so. I should also note that I am an avid FIRM believer with weight training and squats and safe lunges so that I train ALL the muscles instead of just beating myself up with runs. It really has helped keep the shin pain away too.

First order of the day! Drink LOTS of water, and especially hydrate before and after you run, and make sure you are taking good supplements. Then call someone and ask them if they regularly massage runners! Man, did I find a GREAT one with AWESOME sports techniques! I wish I could get back to her, but I'm tossing all my extra $ onto my trip at this point. But if my shin pain got bad again, she would be on my speed dial in a minute.

Love your body and it WILL love you back!
__________________
~05/14 DCL Magic Castaway Cay, WDW & SeaWorld Anniversary Mermaid trip ~ 04/13 DCL Dream & WDW ~ 02/13 CCL Dream V.I.s & WDW ~ 02/12 CCL Conquest Jamaica & Grand Cayman ~ 02/11 CCL Triumph Roatan ~ 09/08 Saratoga Springs WDW ~ 01/07 CCL Holiday Costa Maya~ 11/05 WDW ~ 10/04 Hurricane Ivan Getaway at WDW ~ 12/02 RCCL Legend OTS Hawaii ~ 01/02 WDW, Universal, SeaWorld ~ 6/00 Renais. CL Barcelona - Portugal ~ 99 RCCL Grandeur OTS East Carib.~ 93 RCCL Sovereign OTS East Carib. ~ Many previous family WDW trips~
TwinPrincessMermaids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 03:24 PM   #688
ksloane
DIS Veteran
 
ksloane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,781

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinPrincessMermaids View Post
This is pretty subjective. I had a horrible time with shins having piercing stabbing pains last year during my runs, and I have been running for a while and never had it before. It wasn't shoe related in my case. I had been running in the morning on a cup of coffee and once I upped my hydration, they were a LOT better. I also checked my supplements, I take liquid calcium and magnesium every day. Every now and then when I find that the pain in the shins is coming back, I can trace it back to dehydration or calcium/magnesium deficiency (maybe forgot to take it for a few days.)

I also do a shin stretch where I 'crouch' with my heels off the ground on the balls of my toes (butt almost on the ground) and I can get a good shin stretch that way. I stretch the front of my shins and my calves well, keep my supplements up and hydrate. AND every now and then, I treat myself to a sports massage! because someone who is familiar will note that you can sometimes get these raised ligment 'bumps' on your shins where the bone and tendons attach because of all the increased 'building' it is doing. I found that when the LMT works on where the tendons attach around the knees and down the shins and to the ankles, wow what a difference! It was the combination of the massage (only 1 actually did it last summer and got me back on track!), the supplements and the hydration, and I have been able to keep them at about 2-5% the pain they were! I also work on my run, making sure I use my butt and quad muscles to PUSH and PULL me over the ground instead of up and down running. You should always be moving FORWARD, and not bouncing much. You will know when you get a good stride! Be sure and run with your butt, not on the front of your toes (heel first, I guess).

I find that my body tells me stuff, it really does. For me, for some reason, when it came to the calcium and hydration, it chose stabbing pains floating around my shins to do so. I should also note that I am an avid FIRM believer with weight training and squats and safe lunges so that I train ALL the muscles instead of just beating myself up with runs. It really has helped keep the shin pain away too.

First order of the day! Drink LOTS of water, and especially hydrate before and after you run, and make sure you are taking good supplements. Then call someone and ask them if they regularly massage runners! Man, did I find a GREAT one with AWESOME sports techniques! I wish I could get back to her, but I'm tossing all my extra $ onto my trip at this point. But if my shin pain got bad again, she would be on my speed dial in a minute.

Love your body and it WILL love you back!
Thank you so much for all of this. Some really great things to try!
__________________
~*Kimberly*~
WDW: July 2006 - POR; December 2007 - POP; August 2008 - POP; June 2010 - ASMovies & POP; November 2010 - Global Resort Home; June 2011 - POP; October 2012 - ASMusic; June 2013 - CBR & AoA; October 2014 - Pop
DCL: June 2010 - Wonder; June 2012 - B2B Magic; December 2013/January 2014 - B2B Wonder; March 2014 - Dream; August 2015 - Wonder
ksloane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 05:04 PM   #689
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran
 
bumbershoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Tacoma WA
Posts: 46,112

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksloane View Post
Anyone have specific suggestions for pre/post workouts to prevent/nurture shin splints. I've bought multiple pairs of running shoes and while I have reduced them with new/different shoes, they aren't gone...would love any tips.
For me, any shin splints I get are caused by my bones being out of alignment. So I make sure to get a chiropractor who knows how to check my leg bones and ankles as well, and I don't get them.
__________________
-molly + robert + eamon (10!!)

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 10:42 AM   #690
dawne98
DIS Veteran
 
dawne98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Miami Fl
Posts: 588

going for it!

last night I read most of the post about the ran and went and downloaded the "The Couch-to-5K" app
last month I ended up at the ER not knowing what was going on with me and I was told I have type 2 diabetes and they told me it was on the low end and I just need to eat the right foods and workout..... I was going to work on all this before knowing but the reason was ( I am getting married on 12-13-14 )....now it's because I want to make it my life! I got to talking with my DH to be and again this morning he asked me if I was sure about doing this (he knows me I'll talk about doing it then not do it ) so he told me he would do it with me and my teen also told us she wants to do it too! I have little one who wants to do it also but I told her you have to be 12 years old and she's only to be 7 years old when we go
We are all looking forward to it and my DH to be and DD talked about what they want to name our team and what Disney characters they want to put on a
t-shirts they are too much I am thinking what running shoes are the best lol so thanks for all the post and hearing that just about anyone can do this makes me want to do it more, b/c I am that just about anyone lol
__________________
[B][COLOR="Magenta"]Me mom loved Disney from 1972
Tori my teen 1st time to WDW 2000
My little one Maddie 1st time give a day get a day
DL as a kid to many times to say
WDW when Epcot 1st open and 2000-2006 each year
WDW 2010,2011,2012
Sept 2011 one night at Vero Beach with a weekend at AKV with a night at MNSSHP
1st Disney cruise on the Dream in May 2012
WDW 1st weekend in Feb 2013
WDW DD's and mom time June 2013
Disney Vero Beach July 2014
dawne98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:56 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: