Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2014, 01:27 PM   #601
DenverVal
DIS Veteran

That would be a question to ask Guest Services. I would suggest that you test your ability to walk that distance close to home rather than in a foreign country.

WDW: 12/01 12/02 8/03 11/05 11/06 11/07 10/09 3/10 1/13 DL: 6/05 3/06 6/06 6/07 7/08
DCL: Magic 4/24/04, 8/20/05, 10/10/09, 7/15/12, 6/27/13 Dream 2/3/11, 12/29/11 Wonder 6/21/11 Fantasy 1/4/14 NCL: POAm 8/9/08

DenverVal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 09:10 PM   #602
dnardi710
Earning My Ears

5k vs. Beach Chairs?

Going on my first Disney Cruise in a few weeks and I plan on doing the 5k, I was told by a friend that if you do the 5k you'll get to the beach a little later and will miss out on the "best" beach chairs.

It's just my husband and I and we were planning on going to the adult beach, my husband would rather skip the 5k than miss out on good beach seats - I'd love thoughts from anyone with experience doing the 5k and then heading to the beach!
dnardi710 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-18-2014, 12:50 AM   #603
carissa1970
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnardi710 View Post
Going on my first Disney Cruise in a few weeks and I plan on doing the 5k, I was told by a friend that if you do the 5k you'll get to the beach a little later and will miss out on the "best" beach chairs. It's just my husband and I and we were planning on going to the adult beach, my husband would rather skip the 5k than miss out on good beach seats - I'd love thoughts from anyone with experience doing the 5k and then heading to the beach!
I don't know, when we were there, there didn't seem to be any bad beach chairs. They all seemed close to the water, just a little crowded.
carissa1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 01:23 AM   #604
DenverVal
DIS Veteran

We did the run, went back to the ship and showered and changed, took the tram to serenity beach, had lunch, got a drink from the bar and still found a chaise under an umbrella. And then we grabbed a few chairs and sat in the water instead.

WDW: 12/01 12/02 8/03 11/05 11/06 11/07 10/09 3/10 1/13 DL: 6/05 3/06 6/06 6/07 7/08
DCL: Magic 4/24/04, 8/20/05, 10/10/09, 7/15/12, 6/27/13 Dream 2/3/11, 12/29/11 Wonder 6/21/11 Fantasy 1/4/14 NCL: POAm 8/9/08

DenverVal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 08:28 AM   #605
2mommies
Earning My Ears

What time does the 5K normally start.....I saw people talking about getting off the boat early...is that earlier then people who are not doing the run can get off?
2mommies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 11:36 AM   #606
lovely1m
Earning My Ears

My son and I are planning to do this. We are very excited. It's our second 5k together.

He's only 7, but can run the entire thing (he has before). Even if I can't officially sign him up, he can still go with me, right? He can have my medal and be happy.

WDW - '98, '02, '03
Disney Cruise - 7 Day Eastern Carribean planned for January '14
lovely1m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 08:34 PM   #607
5xdisneyfans
Earning My Ears

How and when to register for 5k?

I was wondering when, where and how you register for the 5K? Thanks
5xdisneyfans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 10:08 PM   #608
TitanBrett
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovely1m View Post
My son and I are planning to do this. We are very excited. It's our second 5k together. He's only 7, but can run the entire thing (he has before). Even if I can't officially sign him up, he can still go with me, right? He can have my medal and be happy.
They will give you a hard time but the reality is they aren't going to stop him, no medal or bib though.
TitanBrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 06:53 AM   #609
Metsoskil
Citi Field, Rehoboth Beach, and WDW are my 3 favorite places.

Just a heads-up: On our early December cruise I brought my 10 year old with me to run (she had been running for months training - was to be her first 5K). They are no longer allowing any children under the age of 12 to accompany their parents for any reason on the Castaway Cay 5K. If your children are with you, you are able to drop them at the kids club on the island en route to the 5K start, but they will not be allowed on the course with you.

I was told this was a permanent policy change and was done for liability reasons.

WDW: Jul '91, May '93, Dec '99, Aug '07, Aug '08, Aug '09, Dec '09, Mar '10, Aug '10, Mar '11, Aug '11, Dec '11, Aug '13, Nov/Dec '13
Disneyland Paris: Aug '12
DCL: Jul '12 Magic NYC Weekend Getaway, Dec '13 Dream 3-night Bahamas
Upcoming Trips: WDW Jul '14, DCL Alaska - Wonder Aug '15
Metsoskil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 11:13 AM   #610
dnardi710
Earning My Ears

Great, thank you!
dnardi710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 06:35 PM   #611
disneygirl319
Mouseketeer

Castaway Cay 5k Comments

My DH and DS (age 12) just ran the Castaway Cay 5K while there on our recent Disney Dream sailing (1/16/14 sailing date). Here is how the whole thing worked:

-Signed up at Guest Services (supposedly you could sign up at Port Excursions too but they have the bib numbers AND excursion 'ticket' at Guests Services so I don't know if they split it between the two locations).

-Currently it is capped at 200 (yes, 200) runners. This may change in the near future (going to post separately about very good 'rumors' that my DH heard).

-The excursion ticket indicated to meet at Evolutions (The District bar area) at 8:15am to get off the ship at 8:30am. General disembarkation for passengers is at 8:30am. They are supposed to be the first off the ship but they were leaving the ship as everyone else was coming off (though the runners left via the 'aft' vice midship). The aft is actually closer to the island as the ships backs in.

-Runners walked all the way from the ship to the starting point (which is right near the Pelican Point tram stop and the She Sells Sea Shells store).

-There was an area (oversize 'storage box') to leave your items while you are running. There was a CM standing in/near the area the entire time waiting for runners to finish and hand them their medals.

-There is a clock with the time on it that is facing towards the runners when they start and is turned around so runners can see it when they finish.

-The medal is awarded (plastic with DISNEY CRUISE LINE on it, Mickey Ears design) at the end where you finish. The medal does not say Castaway Cay or Castaway Cay 5k.

-The 5k shirts that you can buy (separately) can be purchased at the store right next to when you finish. They also have a hat and a pin.

-You are right next to one of the beach entrance areas when you finish so you can technically just go right to the beach and find some beach chairs. Whether or not you find beach chairs right AT the water all depends on the number of passengers that already got off and how quickly you finish!

-OFFICIALLY*, while you cannot officially sign up any child under the age of 12, I DID see children running the 5k with their parents (at least towards the finish line). They didn't receive bibs and of course didn't receive a medal. So, UNofficially, if your child (under age 12) gets off the ship and just happens to start running (even if they don't START with you) and finish with you, there really isn't anything they can do. Again, no bib or runners medal. My DH said that he did not see any child starting the 5k so they obviously caught up with them along the way. ==>I am NOT endorsing or encouraging this, I am just stating what I saw.<==

*When I say officially, I mean they even require you to show a Photo ID for the excursion check in so there is no way to register your DH and have your DS show up instead and run in his place.

I will be posting RUMORS of possible changes coming up in another post!

CRUISED:
Jan 2014, Disney Dream
Nov 2011, Disney Dream

Been to Walt Disney World too many times now to count! Have stayed at every single DisneyWorld Resort. Now we're moving on to CRUISING!

Other cruises:
Dec 2012, Royal Caribbean Jewel of the Seas
Feb 2011, Royal Caribbean Freedom of the Seas
Mar 2010, Carnival Inspiration
disneygirl319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 07:30 PM   #612
Linden Lady
Mouseketeer

Oooooo. I love "rumors". ;-)
Linden Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 07:55 PM   #613
disneygirl319
Mouseketeer

5k Rumors

Ok, this came directly from the CM that runs/organizes the 5k (my DH was talking with her during our CC time, Disney Dream sailing 1/16/14). So whether or not DCL actually goes through with this obviously remains to be seen.

Alittle background info first. According to the CM the 5k used to average less then 40 runners, now it averages around 120-130. The current limit is actually 200 (believe it or not). Somewhere around March of last year (2013) it started to become a lot more popular. Personally I don't know why and DH didn't specifically ask. So as it has become more popular things need to change to keep up with the demand.

Here is the main rumor:
-This will no longer be a free excursion. It will be a ticketed excursion with a cost (estimated to be $25). However, this will include the Castaway Cay 5K tshirt (and medal...which would also say Castaway Cay 5k).

To me, it would be worth it as the tshirt would be included. I, personally, would like to see them either start the race earlier or at least block off the bike route to allow the runners full and unobstructed access to the 5k route (for an hour). Currently, bikers and walkers can walk along the same path as the runners and can, and DO, get in each others way. I saw it myself the few minutes I was waiting for my DH and DS to finish. A mom and her two younger sons had just rented bikes and were just starting out from the bike rental location (which is right next to the end of the 5k!) and were paying more attention to trying to start riding their bikes than the path and almost collided with some runners that were picking up speed as they approached the finish line.

Anyway, again, just a RUMOR and who know if/when that will happen.

CRUISED:
Jan 2014, Disney Dream
Nov 2011, Disney Dream

Been to Walt Disney World too many times now to count! Have stayed at every single DisneyWorld Resort. Now we're moving on to CRUISING!

Other cruises:
Dec 2012, Royal Caribbean Jewel of the Seas
Feb 2011, Royal Caribbean Freedom of the Seas
Mar 2010, Carnival Inspiration
disneygirl319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 10:46 AM   #614
Dr.Girlfriend
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneygirl319 View Post
Ok, this came directly from the CM that runs/organizes the 5k (my DH was talking with her during our CC time, Disney Dream sailing 1/16/14). So whether or not DCL actually goes through with this obviously remains to be seen.

Alittle background info first. According to the CM the 5k used to average less then 40 runners, now it averages around 120-130. The current limit is actually 200 (believe it or not). Somewhere around March of last year (2013) it started to become a lot more popular. Personally I don't know why and DH didn't specifically ask. So as it has become more popular things need to change to keep up with the demand.

Here is the main rumor:
-This will no longer be a free excursion. It will be a ticketed excursion with a cost (estimated to be $25). However, this will include the Castaway Cay 5K tshirt (and medal...which would also say Castaway Cay 5k).

To me, it would be worth it as the tshirt would be included. I, personally, would like to see them either start the race earlier or at least block off the bike route to allow the runners full and unobstructed access to the 5k route (for an hour). Currently, bikers and walkers can walk along the same path as the runners and can, and DO, get in each others way. I saw it myself the few minutes I was waiting for my DH and DS to finish. A mom and her two younger sons had just rented bikes and were just starting out from the bike rental location (which is right next to the end of the 5k!) and were paying more attention to trying to start riding their bikes than the path and almost collided with some runners that were picking up speed as they approached the finish line.

Anyway, again, just a RUMOR and who know if/when that will happen.
When do sign ups happen for the 5k? Embarkation day, or CC morning? I need to make sure that I get in on Sunday

I do like the idea of paying $25 and getting a shirt, medallion, and bib.
Wine & Dine 1/2 - 2011 ~ WDW Marathon Relay - 2012 ~ Princess 1/2 - 2012 ~ Tower of Terror 10 Miler - 2012 ~ Wine & Dine 1/2 2012 ~ Goofy Challenge - 2013 ~ Tower of Terror 10 Miler – 2013 ~ Mickey's Jingle Jungle 5k - 2013 ~ Wine & Dine 1/2 – 2013 ~ Family Fun Run 5k - 2014 ~ Minnie Mouse - 10k 2014 ~ Donald 1/2 - 2014 ~ Castaway Cay 5k - 2014

UPCOMING:
Royal Family 5k - 2014 ~ Glass Slipper Challenge – 2014 ~ Everest Challenge 5k - 2014 ~ Dumbo Double Dare - 2014
Dr.Girlfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 11:33 AM   #615
ksloane
DIS Veteran

Everyone keep us posted if they start seeing any signs of the rumors. I'd pay $25 if it included the shirt and a "real" medal.
ksloane is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: