Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2014, 02:56 PM   #586
maiapapaya
Totally DIS-tracted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by carissa1970 View Post
When we were there in July they had a whole bunch in the gift shops on the island. We had trained to run it but didn't get to because we didn't arrive to CC until 1pm due to a medical emergency on board. I considered buying one, but would have felt guilty wearing it so I didn't. Lol. I think they were about $20.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
People run with MP3 players even during official rundisney events so sure, wear it.

In October they had a woman's shirt with a more flowery design. Both groups of shirts were very small sizing wise.
Thanks!

me DH DD23 DD12 DD9 Finnegan Daisy
1971 offsite ~ 1988 CBR ~ 2009 Poly ~ 2010 Poly ~ 2011 Poly CL ~ 2012 Poly CL ~ 2013 Poly ~ 2014 Fantasy Western Caribbean ~ 2014 GF ~ 2015 GF
maiapapaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 08:08 PM   #587
cbmeadors
Mouseketeer

My favorite part of Castaway Cay is getting off the ship early and getting hammock. Will I be able to go and put a bag on a hammock and then run?
cbmeadors is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-14-2014, 11:05 PM   #588
nancy drew
DIS Veteran

I feel silly asking this, but what do the medals look like? I plan on buying a T-shirt after completing the race (I am superstitious and won't wear a race shirt until I complete the race) but for some reason I am hung up on the medal. I want a Mickey medal.

Me DD 10 DS 8
1982: Contemporary 1989: Contemporary 1998: Disneyland (day trip) 2005: Wilderness Lodge 2006: Wilderness Lodge 2007: Contemporary 2008: Disneyland (Park Vue) 2009: Disneyland (HoJo) 2010: Pop Century 2011: Disneyland (PPH/DLH) and Boardwalk 2012: San Diego and Disneyland (PPH) 2013: Polynesian and Port Orleans Riverside 2014: Dolphin and Disney Dream
nancy drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 08:13 AM   #589
BWVNUT
Growing Older is Mandatory; Growing Up is Optional ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy drew View Post
I feel silly asking this, but what do the medals look like? I plan on buying a T-shirt after completing the race (I am superstitious and won't wear a race shirt until I complete the race) but for some reason I am hung up on the medal. I want a Mickey medal.
Look at post #332, page 23 I think it was

We did it July, 2012 and I think my t-shirt is a little different than that one ...but we got the same medal and bib.

Nov 78; Nov 79; April 86 (CA); Nov 88; April 98; April 99; June 05 POFQ; Feb 06 BWV; July 06 BWV; Oct 06 OKW; Feb 07 BWV; April 07 BWV; Oct 07 BCV; Dec 07 BWV; Feb 08 BWV; July 08 BWV; Aug/Sept 08 ASMu Castle Suite Tour!!; Feb 09 VWL/BWV; Sept 09 BWV; Dec 09 BWV and GF; Feb 10 BWV; Sept 10 AKV Kidani; April 11 AKV Jambo; Sept 12 BWV; Jan 13 Offsite; July 13 DCL Dream; Nov 13 AKV Kidani
BWVNUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 08:38 AM   #590
trickiwoo
Talk Disney To Me!

My parents did the Castaway Cay 5K in September. Here are my pics from that (Sorry about the water on my camera lens...):

trickiwoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 10:41 AM   #591
ksloane
DIS Veteran

Can't wait to do this in March. It will be either my first or second 5K.
ksloane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 12:27 PM   #592
Maddysdaddy
DIS Veteran

Sorry if this is TMI, but here goes:

Since the summer, I've dropped a bunch of weight (about 75 so far, with another 60 to go). Repeated sports injuries, knee surgeries (3 on each), arthritis in my knees and sedentary desk work, turned me into a big lazy tub of goo.

As part of trying to "get healthy", one of my goals was to run the CC5K on our upcoming cruise. To work towards that, a couple of months ago, I started the C25K program and actually ran for the first time since Junior High School gym class (about 25 years ago). First day I couldn't even go for a minute, and six weeks later, I'm up to 20 at a shot.

I'm 31 days out from when we dock at Castaway Cay, and have another week and a bit left on the training program. I'm hoping to increase my endurance over the next month to be able to get to the point where I can jog the full 5K without having to walk at all (my longest continuous jog at this point is just under 2.5K).

So... long story short, here's my question.

Even if I can push myself to jog the full 5K, I'm slow. Painfully slow. Like 15 minutes/mile slow - aka the senior citizens power-walking the track are going the same speed I am. Best case scenario, it's going to take me 45 minutes to complete the course. Would there normally still be DCL staff at the finish line for slow pokes like me, or will they have long since left their post?

I know that I'm doing this for myself and not to have someone hand me a medal at the end, but it would kinda be nice if it happened.
Maddysdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 12:56 PM   #593
momof2n2
I homeschool. What's your superpower? ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddysdaddy View Post

Since the summer, I've dropped a bunch of weight (about 75 so far, with another 60 to go). Repeated sports injuries, knee surgeries (3 on each), arthritis in my knees and sedentary desk work, turned me into a big lazy tub of goo.

As part of trying to "get healthy", one of my goals was to run the CC5K on our upcoming cruise. To work towards that, a couple of months ago, I started the C25K program and actually ran for the first time since Junior High School gym class (about 25 years ago). First day I couldn't even go for a minute, and six weeks later, I'm up to 20 at a shot.

I'm 31 days out from when we dock at Castaway Cay, and have another week and a bit left on the training program. I'm hoping to increase my endurance over the next month to be able to get to the point where I can jog the full 5K without having to walk at all (my longest continuous jog at this point is just under 2.5K).

Even if I can push myself to jog the full 5K, I'm slow. Painfully slow. Like 15 minutes/mile slow - aka the senior citizens power-walking the track are going the same speed I am. Best case scenario, it's going to take me 45 minutes to complete the course. Would there normally still be DCL staff at the finish line for slow pokes like me, or will they have long since left their post?

I know that I'm doing this for myself and not to have someone hand me a medal at the end, but it would kinda be nice if it happened.
No experience but I wanted to say WTG!
I'm contemplating the CC5K, but never done one. Hoping this works out for you!
All stays offsite.
DCL - 3n WONDER 2001
DCL - 4n MAGIC 2014
DLR in '77 & '98
Weighing DLR vs. DCL for 5/2015
momof2n2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 02:13 PM   #594
FeliciaL
Earning My Ears

I ran the Cay 5k in April (Bahamas 4 night/Dream.)

My experience was that we met in one of the lounges, got our bib and then after some instruction, walked to the race start. There was not a lot of time for dropping bags or doing much other then walking to the start line.

The course is pretty flat and not the most scenic.

As an FYI, I am in Ohio. It's cold...till June, lol. I had started the C25K plan in February and ran on a treadmill. The course was tough for me bc it was 80+ degrees the morning I ran. I was not used to that and had a really rough time with the heat. There were water stops but it was just much more hot/humid than I was used to.

We did get a plastic mickey medal at the end of the "race."

Even with the heat, I enjoyed my experience and will do it again.
FeliciaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 08:58 AM   #595
dandjfla
DCL addict!

Quote:

Way to go! I did the CC5k in Oct and finished in 37 min. As soon as the run was over I went to the store and bought a shirt and then walked over to the tran stop. During this time the guy was still there handing out medals so I think you'll be fine!

Good luck and have fun!

3/14/13 Disney Dream
10/31/13 Disney Dream on Halloween!
2/3/14 Disney Magic
10/1/14 Disney Wonder Double Dip

11/7/15 Disney Fantasy Grand Slam!
dandjfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 09:03 AM   #596
trickiwoo
Talk Disney To Me!

Quote:

My parents did the CC5K in September. I waited at the finish line for them. My dad turned 65 during the cruise, and he was recovering from a bad ankle injury which had kept him off his feet for months. He walked the entire course. It definitely took him well over 45 min to complete the 5k. And he wasn't even the last to finish! They kept the clock running the entire time and the CM had medals for everyone and waited until every individual had finished the 5k to hand them their medal at the end!

Now, I'm sure that could vary from cruise to cruise. But on the cruise I was on, that is what they were doing!
trickiwoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 10:18 AM   #597
TitanBrett
Mouseketeer

Just an update, I got off the Dream this morning and did the on the 14th. They are now having you sign up ahead of time at the Port Adventures Desk.

In regards to kids, it is 12 and Under, they will not let them sign up. We took my 9 year old down to Evolutions and they strongly recommended she not do it, when I nicely said she had done tons of them before, I was told that "You will be fully responsible for her". To which I nicely replied that that had been the case for 9 years .

Wife and Daughter finished right around half hour, I was a bit behind
TitanBrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 10:58 AM   #598
DenverVal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Would there normally still be DCL staff at the finish line for slow pokes like me, or will they have long since left their post?
I did this on the Fantasy last week. The CM in charge of the race checked everybody in onboard the ship, and instructed everybody to come see her upon finishing, where she checked my name off the list and gave me my medal. I think the answer to your question is 'yes'. They want to make sure everyone who runs is accounted for, so you don't need to worry about anything but finishing.

For those with children, they had you bring them with you to the race check-in. These folks led the group off the ship, checked the kids in to the clubs on the island, then rejoined the group.

You sign up for the race at either the port adventures desk or guest services. You get a ticket like any other excursion. It's stil free. It was hot, even in January. There is one manned water station which you pass three times. I did see another off to the side of the trail which I passed twice, but I didn't check to see if it was filled. I brought my own little bottle, which I was able to refill.

It was fun! Glad I did it.

WDW: 12/01 12/02 8/03 11/05 11/06 11/07 10/09 3/10 1/13 DL: 6/05 3/06 6/06 6/07 7/08
DCL: Magic 4/24/04, 8/20/05, 10/10/09, 7/15/12, 6/27/13 Dream 2/3/11, 12/29/11 Wonder 6/21/11 Fantasy 1/4/14 NCL: POAm 8/9/08

DenverVal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 11:09 AM   #599
SuzanneSLO
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Congratulations on all your efforts to date!

I did the 5k on Thanksgiving in just over 50 minutes. Although I do a run/walk/run program, I walked more than usual due to the heat and humidity ( and it was a mild day for the Bahamas in the low 70s). I received my medal at the finish, as well as cheers from other guests as I headed to the finish line.

For official RunDisney events, (which this is not), the minimum pace is 16 minutes per mile. Slower than that and competitors may be"swept" off the course. From my point of view, 15 minutes per mile over 3+ miles is awesome.

Best of luck and have really fun time! But beware, next thing you'll be training for a RunDisney event at WDW or DL. -- Suzanne
SuzanneSLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 01:34 AM   #600
MDennis28
Mouseketeer

Hi. Really would like to walk the course and earn my first medal. What if my back gives out and I can't finish? Will someone in a golf cart come and pick me up?
MDennis28 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: