Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2014, 03:55 PM   #571
WaDiWo
WDWFan!

Things may have changed since then, but a little over a year ago I wrote about my Castaway Cay 5K experience on my blog ...

http://couchtogoofychallenge.blogspo...ay-5k-run.html

no matter the detail changes, it is a fun event!! definitely do it! looking forward to Disney Marathon Weekend this week!

My blog: I achieved my goal January 12, 2014! see how I did it: Couch to Goofy Marathon and a Half Challenge!
Hear my interview about achieving this goal on the Runner Academy Everyday Runners podcast.
My Castaway Cay 5k trip report HERE
Packing for a Disney Trip or Cruise? Check out my free ultimate packing (and to-do) list here.
WaDiWo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 05:22 PM   #572
sarabguerra
Mouseketeer

So excited to learn about this! DH and I have been talking about training for some races this year. We're hoping to book on the Wonder for April 22 2015 for our first Disney cruise. Hoping the agent can get us the cabins we need!
sarabguerra is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-05-2014, 05:56 PM   #573
kpm76
DIS Veteran
Charlie Brown is competing with my college basketball game

Planning to run during our 3 night Dream cruise in a few weeks! I've read in a few places that the route can be confusing and since I am very directionally challenged, I have visions of me going off course Are there CM on the route to guide you? I'm traveling with DH and our kids as well as some extended family but I am the only one in our group running. Thanks!
kpm76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 07:01 PM   #574
SILLYANDI
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpm76 View Post
Planning to run during our 3 night Dream cruise in a few weeks! I've read in a few places that the route can be confusing and since I am very directionally challenged, I have visions of me going off course Are there CM on the route to guide you? I'm traveling with DH and our kids as well as some extended family but I am the only one in our group running. Thanks!
Unless you are really fast (and get in front of everyone) or really slow (and get way behind everyone) you can pretty much putt along and follow the pack. It's not well marked, but I am very good at getting lost and I didn't have any problems..
Old 01-05-2014, 09:15 PM   #575
binab
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaDiWo View Post
no matter the detail changes, it is a fun event!! definitely do it! looking forward to Disney Marathon Weekend this week!
Good luck at the Marathon this week! I can't wait for my next RunDisney event - who knew running could be so much fun?!

So it sounds like it's iffy as to whether or not the island kids club is open prior to the start. Hope I get lucky with that - I'll be traveling solo with DD10 and really want to do this...
Mar. 2012 - HarryPotterWorld followed by the DCL Dream (10th cruise, but first time on DCL)
Nov. 2010 - POP
Aug. 2009 - BCV
1987 - Offsite
and Disneyland too many times to count.
binab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 09:29 PM   #576
kpm76
DIS Veteran
Charlie Brown is competing with my college basketball game

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILLYANDI View Post
Unless you are really fast (and get in front of everyone) or really slow (and get way behind everyone) you can pretty much putt along and follow the pack. It's not well marked, but I am very good at getting lost and I didn't have any problems..
Thanks!
kpm76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 09:36 PM   #577
Ultragirl23
Earning My Ears

Sorry if this has been asked already. I took a quick look and didn't see if this was asked before.....
If DH and I both do the run will there be an opportunity to bring the kids to the kids club?
Thx!
Ultragirl23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 09:42 PM   #578
Ultragirl23
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultragirl23 View Post
Sorry if this has been asked already. I took a quick look and didn't see if this was asked before.....
If DH and I both do the run will there be an opportunity to bring the kids to the kids club?
Thx!
Oh wait! Looks like I found a similar post with my answer!
Ultragirl23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 01:53 PM   #579
su_A_ve
DIS Veteran

Ran it a couple of weeks go, during our 3n Magic (12/27-12/30). We had to sign up at the port adventures desk and you get a ticket like any other PA.

If you are not signed up, those that come in at the last minute will be officially running it on their own. CMs bring medals and bibs only for those signed up. Again, age limit was 12+.

We had to meet at D-Lounge and we all walked off the ship as a group. A couple had their young childs but a husband or wife with them. Of our group, nobody needed to drop off their child at the clubs so no idea about how that would work.

They verified everyone had been registered, and that they had photo ID and their KTTW card to be able to get off the ship. A few (of course) didn't and had to run back to get them.

We all walked all the way to the starting line and it started. Our group was mostly runners or those who at least run part of it, in contrast of how it was in August 2012 when there were a lot more walkers. A CM set up a water station at the entrance to the bend (off the runway). Note that there are still a couple of water stations inside the bend with the little triangle paper cups.

After we crossed the finish line, they have us the medals. I asked about certificates and the CM said that they actually never did both. They had switched to certificates at one point but then went back to the medals. Also, they no longer do the group picture.
'13 (5n Wonder), '13 (POR Xmas), '13 (3n Magic Post Xmas), '14 (CSR SWW)

°(((=((===°°°(((===========================================
su_A_ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 07:26 PM   #580
pawstat
Earning My Ears

We're doing our first cruise on the Magic April 21st, what is the Port Adventures desk? Is that where you first sign up for the 5K? My husband would like to run it, do they have one for every cruise? Newbie with lots of questions
Old 01-11-2014, 08:27 PM   #581
ashdhinkle
Earning My Ears

does anyone know if jogging strollers are provided on the island we can use for the 5k?
ashdhinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 12:20 PM   #582
CinderellasSister
DIS Veteran

just started training last month for my first 5K. we're not cruising again until Nov '15, but I'd really like to do this run then. Eventually, my goal is to finish all the rundisney events, maybe this one will be my first. Good luck everyone!
Old 01-12-2014, 12:40 PM   #583
maiapapaya
Totally DIS-tracted!

There's a few things that I think I've read in this thread, but just want to confirm ... is it ok to run with an ipod since this isn't an 'official' event? Also, I assume the t-shirts are unisex sizing? How much are they and do they have enough to wait to get one after the run? I think I read that they only bring out limited quantities. Thanks!

me DH DD23 DD12 DD9 Finnegan Daisy
1971 offsite ~ 1988 CBR ~ 2009 Poly ~ 2010 Poly ~ 2011 Poly CL ~ 2012 Poly CL ~ 2013 Poly ~ 2014 Fantasy Western Caribbean ~ 2014 GF ~ 2015 Poly
maiapapaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 02:13 PM   #584
carissa1970
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by maiapapaya View Post
There's a few things that I think I've read in this thread, but just want to confirm ... is it ok to run with an ipod since this isn't an 'official' event? Also, I assume the t-shirts are unisex sizing? How much are they and do they have enough to wait to get one after the run? I think I read that they only bring out limited quantities. Thanks!
When we were there in July they had a whole bunch in the gift shops on the island. We had trained to run it but didn't get to because we didn't arrive to CC until 1pm due to a medical emergency on board. I considered buying one, but would have felt guilty wearing it so I didn't. Lol. I think they were about $20.
carissa1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 02:14 PM   #585
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by maiapapaya View Post
People run with MP3 players even during official rundisney events so sure, wear it.

In October they had a woman's shirt with a more flowery design. Both groups of shirts were very small sizing wise.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: