Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-26-2013, 10:09 PM   #556
Saamh
Mouseketeer

Was on the Wonder last week and they required runners to sign up prior to the race at Guest Services or Port Adventures desk. There is now a blurb on the navigators about sign ups and the age requirement. They capped it at 100 entries and are not allowing anyone under 12 to sign up or get off the ship with the group of runners at CC.
Saamh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 04:51 PM   #557
MABrentwood
Earning My Ears

5K Question

Hi All,

We will be sailing on the Dream in February, and both my husband and I are avid short distance runners. We would both like to participate in the 5K on CC if possible. The only thing holding us back are our two kids, ages 1 and 4. So here is my question: if I leave the kids in the nursery and Club (no judgement please), is it possible to get off the ship on to CC, run the 5K, get back on the ship to get the kids from the nursery/club, and leave the ship again with the kids to spend the rest of the day on CC? About how far is it from the start/finish to the ship?

Thanks for your help!
MABrentwood is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-02-2014, 09:14 PM   #558
SGcruiser
Earning My Ears

Easy to get on and off

My husband and I did the 5K two weeks ago. The group is one of the first people off at 8:40am and once you get to the starting spot it starts fairly quickly. We were done with the run by 9:30 which gives plenty of time to go back to the ship to shower (if you want), pick up your children and head back off the ship. You get a Medal for running (it is plastic but still very cute) and a great way to tour part of the island before anyone is off the ship. I am so glad we did it. We signed up for it the first night on the ship at Guest Services and they give you bibs to wear. It will definitely be own of our must dos from now on.
SGcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 09:34 PM   #559
tnshsms
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MABrentwood View Post
Hi All, We will be sailing on the Dream in February, and both my husband and I are avid short distance runners. We would both like to participate in the 5K on CC if possible. The only thing holding us back are our two kids, ages 1 and 4. So here is my question: if I leave the kids in the nursery and Club (no judgement please), is it possible to get off the ship on to CC, run the 5K, get back on the ship to get the kids from the nursery/club, and leave the ship again with the kids to spend the rest of the day on CC? About how far is it from the start/finish to the ship? Thanks for your help!
I'm not sure about this so you might look through this thread, but I believe the kids club is only on the island when at castaway cay. I don't think the onboard kids club is open. I believe that the kids club is open on the island before the run and you can drop them off before you run. It is talked about earlier in this thread.
Disneyland - May 2013
Disney Fantasy - May 2014
Disney Magic - May 2015
tnshsms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 10:12 PM   #560
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Hi All,

We will be sailing on the Dream in February, and both my husband and I are avid short distance runners. We would both like to participate in the 5K on CC if possible. The only thing holding us back are our two kids, ages 1 and 4. So here is my question: if I leave the kids in the nursery and Club (no judgement please), is it possible to get off the ship on to CC, run the 5K, get back on the ship to get the kids from the nursery/club, and leave the ship again with the kids to spend the rest of the day on CC? About how far is it from the start/finish to the ship?

Thanks for your help!
I do'nt know if the Club is open on the ship.

The nursery is. BUT. The run is often delayed. I was near a woman who was highly upset because she felt that the schedule said it would be done in an hour (it didn't, but I can sort of see how she might have thought it did) so she had put her child in the nursery for an hour. We weren't even off the ship in an hour, and that's when I heard her talking to the CM in a VERY annoyed fashion.

So schedule it for 2 hours or so. That's my advice for the baby.

Other than that (and not knowing if the club on the ship is open), yes you can go back onto the ship, get cleaned up, and leave again. No problem.

Took us a good 10 minutes to walk from the ship to the start. At least.

And when I walked back (faster pace than we had walked as a group) it took about the same amount of time because of all the later-leavers walking to CC from the ship. They would see me and didn't seem to understand that they would have to unclump, that there were two directions on the path. It was highly annoying.

Also know that you aren't ALWAYS among the first off the ship. 2/2 times we haven't been close to the first off.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 07:28 AM   #561
MABrentwood
Earning My Ears

Thanks for the help - it sounds like we need to plan on only having one of us run it if it could run that late. I don't want the kids to miss their day at the beach so that we can feed our running addiction.

It is very helpful to know that we can get on and off the ship - it will be a long day for the baby otherwise.

Thanks for the advice!
MABrentwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 09:00 AM   #562
autismgoesdisney
DIS Veteran

I plan on running it next week Anyone know if I can sign up for it from home?

Next cruise: August 30, 2015 RCCL Freedom of the Seas!

Previous trips to WDW: 1981 Poly; 1984 Poly; Mar 2001 CSR; Nov 2008 Sports AS; Dec 2010 POP Century; Aug 2011 POR; Aug 2012 CBR/POR; Aug 2013 AOA/POR
Previous cruises: Carnival Splendor April 2013; Disney Fantasy January 2014;
autismgoesdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 10:25 AM   #563
KPetty725
DIS Veteran

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Soooo....I totally chickened out last November. I was really going to do it but it took much longer than expected to recover from my surgery over summer so I never got started running (was going to do the couch potato to 5K app thingie since I've NEVER run before).

My new year's resolution is to get in shape (see comment above about never exercising!!) so I'm definitely going to be up for running it next time. Now to talk DH into booking again so I can fulfill that goal....

KPetty725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 10:35 AM   #564
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thanks for the help - it sounds like we need to plan on only having one of us run it if it could run that late. I don't want the kids to miss their day at the beach so that we can feed our running addiction.

It is very helpful to know that we can get on and off the ship - it will be a long day for the baby otherwise.

Thanks for the advice!
The kids won't miss their day at the beach even if it runs long. I think little kids like yours might think the day stretches to forever and I will be ok. Plus if the older is in scuttles cove then s/he will be having a grand time anyway and the baby can't tell time yet.

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
Old 01-03-2014, 10:45 AM   #565
CamColt
Only thinks she’s not losing it
Mom gone wild!
I really feel like I have a good grip on things now
B1 BINGO!

Do all runners have to be present to sign up or can 1 member of the party do it for both?

CamColt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 09:00 PM   #566
RoboBear
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamColt View Post
Do all runners have to be present to sign up or can 1 member of the party do it for both?
Last time I did it (in June) there was a waiver that needed to be signed by each person.
RoboBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 10:07 PM   #567
Julz226
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPetty725 View Post
Soooo....I totally chickened out last November. I was really going to do it but it took much longer than expected to recover from my surgery over summer so I never got started running (was going to do the couch potato to 5K app thingie since I've NEVER run before).

My new year's resolution is to get in shape (see comment above about never exercising!!) so I'm definitely going to be up for running it next time. Now to talk DH into booking again so I can fulfill that goal....
Just do it! Last summer (2012) I did Cto5K because I wanted to run our local 4th of July 5K. I kept up with it afterwards and I'm now a week away from the Disney 1/2 marathon. It gets addicting!

So looking forward to the Castaway Cay 5K in March!

Julz226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 01:09 AM   #568
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julz226 View Post
I kept up with it afterwards and I'm now a week away from the Disney 1/2 marathon. It gets addicting!
Woo! Are you on the Events/Competitions forum in the Half Marathon thread? I don't recall your username. It's so close!

I started run/walking in Summer of 2012, too! So exciting to start running at the same time as the Summer Olympics.

Old 01-04-2014, 04:31 PM   #569
Shelby109
Mouseketeer

Quote:

Thanks for the advice!
We did the 5k last October. We ran into an issue where the kids club was not open early enough (our dd is 4). We brought her with us and were able to snag a jog stroller. There are a bunch of them available (first come first served) along with wagons and beach wheelchairs. It worked great. Maybe put the little one in the nursery and bring the older one with you. One note: when we were signing up we asked a cast member where the jog strollers were on the beach and he looked at us like we were crazy. I said that i had read that they were available and he said "no, there are only wheelchirs". I had read on more than one thread that they existed. We figured that if they didn't exist, one of us would just head to the beach and the other would run. As we were walking down the path to the beach - there they were! They were right where other posters said they were (on the path, on the left hand side, right before you get to the beach). Yea!
Shelby109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 07:51 PM   #570
lsmith311
Earning My Ears

I did the 5k last June on the Dream. We met early in the am the morning on Castaway Cay in th District. Lounge far aft. They led us off the ship and walked to the start. Of we went.

Great fun. I will do it again in March, this time on the Fantasy.
lsmith311 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: