Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2013, 11:50 PM   #541
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

aarpin, I don't know how old your son is, but if he's young enough for the kid's program on the Cay (Scuttle's Cove?) that should be open by the time of the 5K and people say you can drop him off on the way!

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 04:28 PM   #542
lilladyles
Earning My Ears

I contacted DCL recently regarding the Castaway Cay 5k and wanted to share their response:

"Whenever the Disney Cruise Line ship is in port at Castaway Cay, Guests
12 years and older may join the Cruise Staff for a 5K run (not a race).
Guests should check their Personal Navigator for more information. You
do not pre-reserve the 5k run on the internet ahead of time.

The start time is based on the ship's arrival at Castaway Cay. The end
time depends on how long it takes a Guest to run the 5K. There is a
clock at the start and end so Guests can record their time. Guests
receive a racing bib and a special keepsake, to commemorate their
accomplishment.

Guest Services on the ship has a limited number of strollers available
on a first-come, first-serve basis. The stroller can be used for the
duration of the cruise both onboard and ashore. The strollers are not
able to be pre-reserved.

The comfortable three-wheeled jogger style stroller folds easily and
offers an adjustable sun canopy. Storage space is available in the mesh
pouch located on the back of the seat. The strollers can be adjusted
into an upright or reclining position and are collapsible.

When a stroller is obtained, a $200 deposit fee is charged to your
onboard folio at the time of rental. Once the stroller is returned, the
$200 charge is removed.

If you prefer, you may also bring your own stroller. Although there is
no private storage available during your cruise, you may store your
stroller in your stateroom when not in use."

Hope this helps some of you!
Register to remove

Old 12-06-2013, 10:38 PM   #543
skittlesfirehawk
Mouseketeer

i really wanna do this now but im just restarting c25k with 4weeks until my cruise i think that i may sadly have to sit this one out.
skittlesfirehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 11:24 PM   #544
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by skittlesfirehawk View Post
i really wanna do this now but im just restarting c25k with 4weeks until my cruise i think that i may sadly have to sit this one out.
You really can just walk it.

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
Old 12-07-2013, 12:09 AM   #545
DenverVal
DIS Veteran

Do whatever level of effort you feel comfortable with, but if you'd love to do it, then get out there!

WDW: 12/01 12/02 8/03 11/05 11/06 11/07 10/09 3/10 1/13 DL: 6/05 3/06 6/06 6/07 7/08
DCL: Magic 4/24/04, 8/20/05, 10/10/09, 7/15/12, 6/27/13 Dream 2/3/11, 12/29/11 Wonder 6/21/11 Fantasy 1/4/14 NCL: POAm 8/9/08

DenverVal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 09:04 AM   #546
SuzanneSLO
DIS Veteran

I did the CC 5K on Thanksgiving. It was my first 5k ever and I had some dehydration issues earlier in the week, so I didn't push it.

My truly dear husband waited with the CM at the water station to cheer me on. DCL guests also cheered me on as I ran to the finish line, which was very touching.

Of those who ran at all, I was one of the last at 50 + minutes.

There were a few who only walked. However, there was also a "power walk" according to the navigator. So maybe most walkers chose that instead.

-- Suzanne
SuzanneSLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 05:00 PM   #547
LuckyLundy21
Earning My Ears

Hi, just did the 5k on Thanksgiving 2013. Due to the Magic having a few minor problems when getting to the dock the people doing the 5k got off the Magic 1st followed by anyone else who was down in the debarking area. Normally the 1st people off are those doing the 5k.

We walked to the starting line and for those of us who had a bag there was a box with a lid that we could put our stuff in and a note inside saying Disney was not responsible if anything was missing. I put my bag in and when I went to get it everything was there.

There are I believe 3 water stations and 1 of those you pass 3 times, that one is manned and the other 2 are water jugs with small v shaped cups like you have in an office. Water is water and tastes great when you're hot and need it!

I am glad I did the 5k, it wasn't an exciting run as far as scenery, a lot of bushes and trees. I love WDW and love running behind the scenes.. so I'm a bit spoiled plus I live in Florida and in beach areas. You do get a bib / race number but no chips for your shoes. The race is timed only on when you started and when you crossed the finish line. When you cross the finish line you get a plastic Mickey head shaped medal! I was so pleased, I had heard they were not giving them out anymore. They did have plenty of 5k t-shirts. What they did not have the 5k pins but I found 1 on ebay.
LuckyLundy21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 11:46 PM   #548
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyLundy21 View Post
Normally the 1st people off are those doing the 5k.
FWIW in two out of two CC5K experiences I've had, we haven't been anywhere NEAR first off the ship. Nor have they put it in our heads as an expectation.

I didn't look for 5K shirts the first time, but I did the second, and the women's size/style shirts (which ran TINY tiny tiny) were in very short supply.

CC5K pin? First I've heard of it!

Old 12-13-2013, 11:50 AM   #549
gidget19
Earning My Ears

Very happy to find this thread! I have read conflicting information about kids running the 5K. If we all run as a family (and stay together), can kids run? Mine are 10, 8 and 6. I have read that they allow kids under 12 if they are accompanied by a parent, but I don't know if that's "real" information and if it's still true today.
gidget19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 03:18 PM   #550
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gidget19 View Post
Very happy to find this thread! I have read conflicting information about kids running the 5K. If we all run as a family (and stay together), can kids run? Mine are 10, 8 and 6. I have read that they allow kids under 12 if they are accompanied by a parent, but I don't know if that's "real" information and if it's still true today.
I've never heard the accompanied by a parent thing, though I've also not seen a teenager there by him/herself.

It is more strict now, but it likely still varies a bit.
Old 12-15-2013, 04:45 AM   #551
momto3gr8boys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
They will be able to run, but they will not get a bib or "medal" at the end.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

momto3gr8boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 10:14 AM   #552
mordecai
Mouseketeer

Did this for a second time in September and just want to reiterate how hot it is. My wife did it for the first time and she typically runs a sub 24 minute 5k. She didn't believe me when I told her how hot it was. She finished in over 31 minutes. Her advice - Bring a water bottle.
Old 12-17-2013, 07:36 PM   #553
MrsRamos
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by momto3gr8boys View Post
They will be able to run, but they will not get a bib or "medal" at the end. Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

I just ran it this past week and children under 12 where not allowed to run at all. The made sure all the kids that where there where going to be checked into child care on the island.
MrsRamos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 05:15 AM   #554
momto3gr8boys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordecai View Post
Did this for a second time in September and just want to reiterate how hot it is. My wife did it for the first time and she typically runs a sub 24 minute 5k. She didn't believe me when I told her how hot it was. She finished in over 31 minutes. Her advice - Bring a water bottle.
Ditto! Although I found several water stops in addition to the official one along the way if you don't have a water bottle with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsRamos View Post
. I just ran it this past week and children under 12 where not allowed to run at all. The made sure all the kids that where there where going to be checked into child care on the island.
Thanks for the correct info. When I ran last May kids were allowed. I guess it's always changing.

To the poster who asked the question, you will be able to take the shuttle to scuttles cove and then catch up with the group at the starting line. We saw a number of people do this.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

momto3gr8boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 07:55 PM   #555
disneymom1980
DIS Veteran

Quote:
DD 10 was allowed to run with me in November. The CMs made it very clear to the few of us that had children under the cutoff age that we were completely responsible for our children. DD was not given a bib, but she was given a medal.
2008-Port Orleans Riverside (First Family Trip) Trip Report, 2009-Belated Honeymoon at the Contemporary Pre-Trip Report
2010-Anna's 8th Birthday Trip at the Contemporary, 2012-Birthdays and Best Friends--Our first DVC Trip
2012-Halloween at Disney, 2013-Our First Cruise
disneymom1980 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: