Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2013, 03:24 PM   #496
FamilyofDisneyFans
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
I believe 12 is the official age.

They'll let kids run, but in the experience of the person sitting next to me with their child, the child won't get a bib number or medal, etc. (at least not in front of people...it seemed like the CM was telling the parent that she would give them something later)

10 I can see being fine with it.
Glad to hear this. My DS is 10 and has been running 5K/10K since he was 6. He finishes ahead of me every time (26 min and is wanting to break 25 min) and would be very disappointed to miss this. I'll give him my medal.

And being from Savannah, GA, we are very accustomed to the heat and humidity. It's just par for the course for our runs!
FamilyofDisneyFans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 04:17 PM   #497
mordecai
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyofDisneyFans View Post
My DS is 10 and has been running 5K/10K since he was 6. He finishes ahead of me every time (26 min and is wanting to break 25 min) and would be very disappointed to miss this.
I hope he's not on my cruise. It's embarrassing to get smoked by these crazy fast kids. Good on him tho!

Just a note: I've run in Florida before during all the different seasons. Running on CC (at least in September) was a whole new level of oppressive I've never experienced before.
Register to remove

Old 06-24-2013, 04:53 PM   #498
MinMouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBBTomorrow View Post
Did the 5K on Friday with my family, and all the info from this thread was right on target. It was crazy hot and humid, so I was very, very slow, but it was a lot of fun and I would definitely do it again. No characters at the finish (at least by the time I got there), but we were first off the boat, plenty of water available, place to store your bag, plastic medals, nice Run Disney bib number to keep, and a friendly atmosphere. T-shirt sizes were definitely limited, so don't wait to get one!
Ran on Friday as well! I did a lot more walking than I'd hoped. No worries though. DH finished under 30 minutes and there weren't characters then either. Maybe it was TOO HOT for them. It was a cooker out there!

Been there. Done that. Can't wait to go back!
MinMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 05:03 PM   #499
2CME911
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Glad to hear this. My DS is 10 and has been running 5K/10K since he was 6. He finishes ahead of me every time (26 min and is wanting to break 25 min) and would be very disappointed to miss this. I'll give him my medal.

And being from Savannah, GA, we are very accustomed to the heat and humidity. It's just par for the course for our runs!
This is not a problem. When you go to the pre-race meet that morning, bring your son. The CMs know what to do with youngsters who run seriously, the CM will make some general announcements about the race, let you all know the minimum age requirement, etc. Then hand out bibs, when he gets to your son he'll say something like, "What's your age? Say twelve." Problem solved.

Have a great race.
Old 06-24-2013, 05:11 PM   #500
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordecai View Post
I hope he's not on my cruise. It's embarrassing to get smoked by these crazy fast kids. Good on him tho!
I did a casual 5K at my university's homecoming for alumni and students, and an alum's teenager finished it in something like 15 minutes. Great for him, but yikes.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:16 AM   #501
maiapapaya
Totally DIS-tracted!

Just had my first couple of runs of the summer in real heat + humidity here. How bad is it at CC in March? We will be coming out of the Canadian winter, so 100% unacclimatized to the heat - I'm somewhat worried about how we'll manage for the 5k!

me DH DD23 DD12 DD9 Finnegan Daisy
1971 offsite ~ 1988 CBR ~ 2009 Poly ~ 2010 Poly ~ 2011 Poly CL ~ 2012 Poly CL ~ 2013 Poly ~ 2014 Fantasy Western Caribbean ~ 2014 GF ~ 2015 Poly
maiapapaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:26 AM   #502
Dug720
SQUIRREL!!

Quote:

A good friend of mine is from south Alabama so he's also accustomed to heat and humidity. But he said the h&h in the Caribbean kicked his butt. (He's not just a casual runner, but a BQed marathoner, so his training is SERIOUS business.)
Old 06-25-2013, 09:42 AM   #503
dandjfla
DCL addict!

I was at CC this past March and at race time it was in the low 70's. I didn't run but thought it was beautiful weather to do so.

3/14/13 Disney Dream
10/31/13 Disney Dream on Halloween!
2/3/14 Disney Magic
10/1/14 Disney Wonder Double Dip

11/7/15 Disney Fantasy Grand Slam!
dandjfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:49 AM   #504
maiapapaya
Totally DIS-tracted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandjfla View Post
I was at CC this past March and at race time it was in the low 70's. I didn't run but thought it was beautiful weather to do so.
Thanks, that's reassuring!

me DH DD23 DD12 DD9 Finnegan Daisy
1971 offsite ~ 1988 CBR ~ 2009 Poly ~ 2010 Poly ~ 2011 Poly CL ~ 2012 Poly CL ~ 2013 Poly ~ 2014 Fantasy Western Caribbean ~ 2014 GF ~ 2015 Poly
maiapapaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:09 AM   #505
FamilyofDisneyFans
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2CME911 View Post
This is not a problem. When you go to the pre-race meet that morning, bring your son. The CMs know what to do with youngsters who run seriously, the CM will make some general announcements about the race, let you all know the minimum age requirement, etc. Then hand out bibs, when he gets to your son he'll say something like, "What's your age? Say twelve." Problem solved.

Have a great race.
THANK YOU!!!
FamilyofDisneyFans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:15 AM   #506
deputymama
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPetty725 View Post
I'm hoping to run the 5K in November. I've never run before but hopefully I can get in shape over the next few months!
Me too! Except my race would be in October. I'm just wondering, for someone who is not in the best of shape, what is a good time to finish the race in? I've never done a 5K before but my goal would be to walk the first 5 min, run and then walk the last 5 minutes. I'm starting to train at my gym and can do it in 45 minutes now. But my DH laughs and says he can walk it in 45 mins. So what is the average time? And what goal should I set for myself?

deputymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:35 AM   #507
Dug720
SQUIRREL!!

Google Couch to 5K. It's designed to take you to a 5K in I think something like 9 weeks.

As far as a "good" time, that's relative. I finished my first 5K in 39:18 and was thrilled!! I know others who finished their first 5K in under 20 - they're just gifted at running. I always go into a race with one goal - have fun and finish. That's it.

And I use the run-walk method at a 4 minutes run/1 minute walk ratio repeated constantly from the beginning. A correct run-walk method starts at the very first step of a race. 99% of the time when you hear someone say "I tried it and it didn't work" when you dig further, you learn they started it far too late into the race for it to do any good.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:09 AM   #508
deputymama
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dug720 View Post
I always go into a race with one goal - have fun and finish. That's it.
I LOVE this thanks!

How do you know you've run for 4 min and then how long to walk for 1 min? Do you wear a watch or just guesstimate?

deputymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:21 AM   #509
mordecai
Mouseketeer

As a general rule if you're trying to hit a goal it seems the 31 minute mark for a 5k is a common one. That would be a 10 minute mile. I agree that if you're not having fun tho I wouldn't go crazy worrying about times.

To give you an idea, I'm a 32yo casual runner and I do a 5k in around 24-25 minutes. My wife is (same age) an avid runner and does them in around 20-22 minutes. The Disney 5k isn't really a competitive race tho, but it's a fantastic goal for your first 5k as it's a great experience!

If you're just starting out, get a wrist watch to do your timed run/jog/walks. There are lots of couch-to-5k programs out there, but they all use that same basic principle. You can PM me if you have other running/5k questions as my wife and I both have quite a bit of experience since we started out from basically nothing 2 or 3 years ago.
Old 06-25-2013, 12:12 PM   #510
Dug720
SQUIRREL!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deputymama View Post
I LOVE this thanks!

How do you know you've run for 4 min and then how long to walk for 1 min? Do you wear a watch or just guesstimate?
I have a GPS watch that has an interval feature that I usually use.

I also have a "GymBoss" which is just an interval timer - no mileage tracked or anything. Just up to 99 reps of whatever intervals you want. I think it was like 19.99. There may be an interval app on a smartphone, but I haven't explored that.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: