Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Yesterday, 08:24 AM   #1
DCMommy
Earning My Ears

From Disney Resort to Disney Cruise Port Canaveral, Florida

Is it better to take the magical express to MCO then take the disney cruise bus to the ship Port Canaveral, Florida? Or should i take the disney cruise bus straight to the port from the disney resort?.

Also what time can people board the boat?

Thank You
DCMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:26 AM   #2
DISNEY FANTASY
Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCMommy View Post
Is it better to take the magical express to MCO then take the disney cruise bus to the ship Port Canaveral, Florida? Or should i take the disney cruise bus straight to the port from the disney resort?.

Thank You
Its a lot of effort to do it via MCO the DCL coach is better picking up from 10.45 am and direct, embarkation doesn't start until 11.15am at the earliest

If you book DCL transport you do not need a PAT a port arrival time to be booked. So when you get there you go straight through the terminal and get the lowest boarding card going at that time.

Another option is a private transfer from WDW direct, that for a family could be cheaper and you decide the time but these transfers are restricted on arrival time too early. You would need a PAT to be booked for that.
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3182194
Disney Fantasy 8/11 and 8/18 2012 back to back, Eastern and Western, Two weeks in concierge!
Trip report/Blog :- with photos and Navigators. Online.
Disney Magic Eight cruises, inc 12 night Baltic, 11 night Med, 14 and 15 night Panama crossings, and 7 night Caribbean cruises.
Over 14 Previous cruises, including Disney, RCI and Princess.
DISNEY FANTASY is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old Yesterday, 08:26 AM   #3
DWGal210
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCMommy View Post

Thank You
I would take the bus straight from the resort. Now, the buses from MCO leave more often than the resort busses, so you may get there a touch earlier if you leave from MCO. However, then you're still spending all that time on the "extra" bus to MCO, so it might be a wash time-wise.

Boarding starts around 11:30AM, I believe. The first port arrival times are around 9:30-10:00AM.

DWGal210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:30 PM   #4
CurtisB
Mouseketeer

If you don't have a flight that morning technically you can't do Magic Express unless you give them bogus flight information. What we found to be very easy and cheaper way was use a one way rental car. Depending on how many people you have it may be cheaper to use a car service.

CurtisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:54 PM   #5
MouseMomx2
DIS Veteran

The only reason you might want to do ME to the airport and then a DCL bus is to get to the port earlier. DCL buses to not pick up at the WDW resorts until mid-day. If that doesn't matter to you then stick with the bus from your resort.

You didn't mention it, but we always choose to do a one-way car rental from WDW to the port. Unless there are only two of you it should be significantly cheaper than DCL transfers. Renting a car also lets you make a stop for some adult beverages (we usually bring a few bottles of wine and some Kahlua on board.) We like the flexibility it allows us as to port arrival. Budget, Avis, National and Alamo all have rental locations on WDW property or in the Downtown Disney hotel plaza. We usually go with National from the Dolphin.
Old Yesterday, 03:17 PM   #6
DISNEY FANTASY

DCL resort buses start at 10.45 and mine were at 11 on two cruises, not 12 noon.
Disney Fantasy 8/11 and 8/18 2012 back to back, Eastern and Western, Two weeks in concierge!
Disney Magic Eight cruises, inc 12 night Baltic, 11 night Med, 14 and 15 night Panama crossings, and 7 night Caribbean cruises.
Old Yesterday, 03:30 PM   #7
MouseMomx2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DISNEY FANTASY View Post
DCL resort buses start at 10.45 and mine were at 11 on two cruises, not 12 noon.
By midday I meant middle of the day, not noon, although I can see how that could be confusing.

Even if you leave WDW you won't get to the port as early as you can I'd you rent a car. We like to get there around 10:30 so a rental car is always our best option.
Old Yesterday, 03:33 PM   #8
DISNEY FANTASY

Quote:
Originally Posted by MouseMomx2 View Post
By midday I meant middle of the day, not noon, although I can see how that could be confusing.

Even if you leave WDW you won't get to the port as early as you can I'd you rent a car. We like to get there around 10:30 so a rental car is always our best option.
OK yes agree they arrive by midday at port, but I have seen posters today on other threads say Pick up at All Stars at 10.45am I was twice at 11 so mid morning, just wanted readers to know the times as midday feels rather late when actually you get to port around noon.

I have also hired a car and agree thats my preference.
Old Yesterday, 04:08 PM   #9
Maddysdaddy
DIS Veteran

How long is your cruise? If it's a short one, I can see an argument for going to the time and effort of trying to squeeze an extra couple hours on board, but for a longer cruise, does it really matter if you board around 11 am instead of around 1 pm?
Maddysdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:28 PM   #10
shoes99
DIS Veteran

Quote:
WE had a different experience in Feb, 2014 leaving from Port Orleans Riverside. We boarded the bus around 11:30AM, went to two other hotels, then on to Art of Animation. We waited in the parking lot at AOA for 30 minutes and watched another DCL bus pull up and load people, then we drove up and got the rest of the people. Needless to say, we did not get to Port Canaveral until 2:00PM.
This next cruise in May 2014 we are staying at the MCO Hyatt the night before and will take DCL transfers from the airport. Then we have better control of our arrival time.

shoes99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:49 AM   #11
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtisB View Post
If you don't have a flight that morning technically you can't do Magic Express unless you give them bogus flight information.
Some CMs think it has to be done that way, but most other CMs know how to just create a pickup time without anyone needing to lie. If you get a CM who doesn't know how to do it, politely hang up and call again.

Quote:
But starting at that time doesn't mean starting at that time for all resorts, and since they all stop at about 3 resorts, it takes a good while.

On our first DCL cruise we took the bus from the resort, and not 5 minutes after we boarded, rooms were ready. My family had been on board nearly 2 hours by that time. (locals who drove in) So frustrating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoes99 View Post
This next cruise in May 2014 we are staying at the MCO Hyatt the night before and will take DCL transfers from the airport. Then we have better control of our arrival time.
That's what we did the second time. And then hubby and son wouldn't wake up, so my grand plans of being on the FIRST bus out weren't realized. Sigh.

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently maintaining 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: