Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2015, 07:47 PM   #1
kylaura
Earning My Ears

Kon Tiki St. John

Has anyone been on the Kon Tiki excursion on St. John? How was it? Did you have much time at the beach?
kylaura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:02 AM   #2
MickeyEarrings
Mouseketeer

We took the Legenday Kon Tiki Tour in November of 2013. The sailing was smooth, and the music and dancing on the boat was fun. (And there's a full bar.) We spent about 2 or 2-1/2 hours on Honeymoon Beach, which was very nice.

Two downers, though: the "glass bottom boat" viewing was pretty lame. The viewing windows were cloudy and they threw food over the side to attract the fish, so you got to see them swim through on their way to breakfast, rather than seeing them for extended periods under the windows. If you wanted a nice glass bottom boat experience on the Eastern itinerary, take the See and Sea Tour on St. Maarten - it's boat was a semi-submersible, and we sat under the waterline to see the fish while a diver fed them, swimming laps around the boat.

Secondly, the "emcee" of the party took the time to tell us exactly how much we should tip. Boo, hiss! It didn't leave a great taste in my mouth.
MickeyEarrings is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old Yesterday, 10:57 AM   #3
quickcat
Mouseketeer

We did this 2 years ago and I would not recommend it.
The tipping they ask you for repeatedly gets old very, very fast.
Its much more of a party trip if you ask me than a family trip.
They picked up cruisers from another cruise line so that took longer and I was not expecting to go over to other docks picking up other passengers.
The viewing in the glass bottom.....I would say you could see marine life just as clear from looking over the side of the boat.
I would pick a different excursion if it were my family.
quickcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:05 AM   #4
ptcbass
DIS Veteran

I was looking at this last night and found several videos on YouTube and it didn't look that goodto me. Everyone has there own idea of a good time though.

1995 CBR, 2000 OKW, 2005 POP, 2008 ASSp, 2010 Pop and POR, 2014 CBR, POR and DCL Dream, 2015 Fantasy
ptcbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:52 PM   #5
kylaura
Earning My Ears

Thanks for the info. Do you all have another beach excursion you'd recommend? We're not into snorkeling, just want to go to a beach.
kylaura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:41 PM   #6
ptcbass
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylaura View Post
Thanks for the info. Do you all have another beach excursion you'd recommend? We're not into snorkeling, just want to go to a beach.
There are a few but through Disney I think you would need to look into:

-Magens Bay Beach Break (voted one of the most beautiful beaches in the world!).

-Full Day Caribbean Sail & Snorkel to Turtle Cove & Honeymoon Beach (ST43). I am not sure if the first stop is on the beach or just near it. Maybe someone can comment on it. You should be able to just enjoy the beach though.

-St. John Trunk Bay Beach and Snorkel Tour (ST01) - I think you have the option of not snorkeling but just enjoying the beach.

I have even read where people sign up for a excursion over to St. Thomas and then ditch the tour to do what they want and then meet them back up when it is time to leave. I would be kind of scared to do this and them leave early or something but I know it happens.

1995 CBR, 2000 OKW, 2005 POP, 2008 ASSp, 2010 Pop and POR, 2014 CBR, POR and DCL Dream, 2015 Fantasy
ptcbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:54 PM   #7
quickcat
Mouseketeer

When we went in October we chose to do the St. John Champagne Catamaran sail and snorkel excursion and we really liked it. The beach was great!
There is an excursion that stays longer at Honeymoon beach (an all-day excursion) and we really wished we would have done the all day one instead.
quickcat is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: