Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 05:46 PM   #1291
lurkyloo
The Attic was just perfect
OK, apparently I've been living under a rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by kordoyne View Post
I dont even know where to start, I have never ordered a cake at Disney World. I could look at all the pretty cakes for days. We will be going to Disney in February and I thought about ordering an early birthday cake for my godchild.

I do not want to spend much, and would rather stay $50 or below. She loves just plain white cake/van icing. I saw the simple cakes for around $30. Is there anything else around my price range that is more "kiddie". She would be happy with a simple cake with just a disney character on it. I just want her to feel special and have a little something for her as a surprise.

Any ideas would help! Thanks!

The $21 cakes you can get by asking when you check in at the podium of the restaurant usually have white chocolate discs on top with Mickey printed on them. They come in either all vanilla or all chocolate, so it seems like this might be an easy and inexpensive option for you. I'd just be sure to request that it have the "Happy Birthday Mickey" disc on it.

Old 01-15-2013, 09:25 PM   #1292
babygus0
Earning My Ears

I ordered a Rapunzel/Tiana cake for Friday for Whispering Canyons. I hope it turns out great.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-15-2013, 09:53 PM   #1293
Lisa75
Mouseketeer

I am sorry if this was asked. With the BW Bakery being closed are there alternate options to have a custom cake delivered to the room at BWV's on April 18?

Thanks,

Lisa
Old 01-16-2013, 04:29 PM   #1294
pigget74
DVC Beach Club Villas

WAHOOOO!!!!! Just got off the phone with Pat and I am happy to say that she said that she can make my blueprint rock-n-rollercoaster cake! She quoted me $92 and I get to order in April! This is for an 8 inch cake, the blueprint will be fondant, with a guitar made out of choc, and she is adding musical notes! I can't wait to see this cake. I am so pumped that she said yes after Chef Brian said no. She put me on hold to find out information about the cake and came back and said we can do it!
June 2009--Kidani Animal Kingdom March 2011--Kidani Village Animal Kingdom May 2013 --Beach Club Villas Graduation Trip
(19) (16) (8) (6)
Old 01-17-2013, 10:04 PM   #1295
TiggerTrigger
The Wonderful Thing About Tiggers Is Tiggers Are Wonderful Things!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigget74 View Post
WAHOOOO!!!!! Just got off the phone with Pat and I am happy to say that she said that she can make my blueprint rock-n-rollercoaster cake! She quoted me $92 and I get to order in April! This is for an 8 inch cake, the blueprint will be fondant, with a guitar made out of choc, and she is adding musical notes! I can't wait to see this cake. I am so pumped that she said yes after Chef Brian said no. She put me on hold to find out information about the cake and came back and said we can do it!
YAY!!!!! So happy for you! This is one of those designs I was really hoping someone could do and can't wait to see the finished product! Great news!
Old 01-18-2013, 10:25 AM   #1296
AngiTN
DIS Veteran

After many long hours reading this thread I want to thank everyone for the efforts. I got the courage (yes courage, ordering cakes is quite daunting) to contact the cake folks to start the plans for a cake for my Granddaughter's 5th birthday celebration we have planned in Late Feb. I I asked her what cake she wanted, without showing her any pictures or anything.
Her response "Mickey's Clubhouse with all the figures".
Well, one of our dining locations is Chef Mickey's so that seemed to be the best fit for that cake.
I looked through the photo thread and was quite surprised to see that there were not many MCH cakes so I did a google search and found a couple of designs that worked.
Sent photos of those off to the Contemporary and heard back from Brian that he is indeed able to do a cake the way she wants, in the size we need. I have ordered the figure play set from the Disney Store and will have them added to the cake when we arrive.

I'll be sure to post pics of our cake when we return. But without this thread I probably would have never even tried to order one. Thanks to those who take the time to answer questions and gather all the info.
Old 01-19-2013, 11:38 AM   #1297
quandrea
DIS Veteran

I'm looking for a six inch small world cake. Are there pictures anywhere of one? I'll be having the Contemporary make it. Do they do custom six inch cakes? We also have a peanut allergy to deal with. Can any of you cake gurus advise me on design/flavor options given size and allergy contraints. Do you think I can do it for $65?
Old 01-19-2013, 02:43 PM   #1298
TiggerTrigger
The Wonderful Thing About Tiggers Is Tiggers Are Wonderful Things!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by quandrea View Post
I'm looking for a six inch small world cake. Are there pictures anywhere of one? I'll be having the Contemporary make it. Do they do custom six inch cakes? We also have a peanut allergy to deal with. Can any of you cake gurus advise me on design/flavor options given size and allergy contraints. Do you think I can do it for $65?
Not sure about the design you're looking for...are you talking about a standard 6" round cake w/a fondant or buttercream pattern of the world on top, a globe style cake using a hemisphere pan, or something else? If you're going through the contemporary...I'm pretty sure you'll be limited to standard rounds. While they can do 6" cakes from what I've seen, I think they prefer an 8" from a design perspective. I've heard the GF is the best place to look if you want something beyond a standard round, but you may pay a premium for it.

As for allergies...DD6 is peanut and tree nut allergic. Make sure you indicate the allergy info when corresponding with Chef Brian via email. As for what you can't have... if it's only peanut...the peanut butter cream cheese and peanut butter cup should be the only things totally off limits, but he can confirm for you what you can and can't. The white chocolate toppers have cross contamination risk, but we've never had any issues with those. We've also had chocolate cake, red velevet cake, cream cheese filling, raspberry mousse, passion fruit mousse, and vanilla/choc. buttercream and been issue free.
Old 01-19-2013, 03:28 PM   #1299
quandrea
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiggerTrigger View Post
Not sure about the design you're looking for...are you talking about a standard 6" round cake w/a fondant or buttercream pattern of the world on top, a globe style cake using a hemisphere pan, or something else? If you're going through the contemporary...I'm pretty sure you'll be limited to standard rounds. While they can do 6" cakes from what I've seen, I think they prefer an 8" from a design perspective. I've heard the GF is the best place to look if you want something beyond a standard round, but you may pay a premium for it.

As for allergies...DD6 is peanut and tree nut allergic. Make sure you indicate the allergy info when corresponding with Chef Brian via email. As for what you can't have... if it's only peanut...the peanut butter cream cheese and peanut butter cup should be the only things totally off limits, but he can confirm for you what you can and can't. The white chocolate toppers have cross contamination risk, but we've never had any issues with those. We've also had chocolate cake, red velevet cake, cream cheese filling, raspberry mousse, passion fruit mousse, and vanilla/choc. buttercream and been issue free.
I am looking at a cake based on iasw attraction. So something with the dolls, colors, etc. just a peanut allergy which I indicated in the email. I am thinking we will have to go eight inch. Has anyone ever done an iasw cake?
Old 01-19-2013, 03:31 PM   #1300
Ms.Grumpy
Sweet Home CHICAGO!

Just placed an order for a mini cake at CRT for our anniv. on Valentine's Day.
It will be chocolate cake, with white icing, and a white chocolate castle topper. Super excited, but was really caught off guard with the $63 quote I was given. Just seems a little steep for a mini cake.
Old 01-19-2013, 06:26 PM   #1301
momof4minnies
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I dont even know where to start, I have never ordered a cake at Disney World. I could look at all the pretty cakes for days. We will be going to Disney in February and I thought about ordering an early birthday cake for my godchild.

I do not want to spend much, and would rather stay $50 or below. She loves just plain white cake/van icing. I saw the simple cakes for around $30. Is there anything else around my price range that is more "kiddie". She would be happy with a simple cake with just a disney character on it. I just want her to feel special and have a little something for her as a surprise.

Any ideas would help! Thanks!
We were at WDW for oldest DDs Sweet 16 about 18 months ago. I ordered thru WL Club Level. However, if you order thru the cake line you will be able to get one. Here is the info I was just given by the BWI Club Level for ordering cakes "You must contact the Cake Hotline at least 24 hours in advance. I would suggest doing it as soon as you can. Their phone number is: 407-827-2253. You will be sent through a phone tree and must choose the location and name of your restaurant to be connected to the right person."

When I ordered DDs cake 18 months ago my requests were 1)chocolate and chocolate 2)Tinker Bell 3)under $50. I was extremely pleased. I believe the cake ended up at $42 with tax. The cake was a very good size, very delicious, and adorable. I would love to post a picture, but I'm technologically challenged . I might be able to send it private message if you like, or if someone could instruct me, I could post here.

1971 WDW opening year
several visits to DL as a wee one
Oct 1998 Poly
Jun 2000 CBR
Aug 2001 CR
Jul 2003 CR
June 2004 GF CL
Jun 2005 CR CL
Jul 2007 GF CL
Nov 2008 WL CL
Jun 2009 DL Hyatt
Nov 2011 WL CL - DD Sweet 16
Jun 2013 BW CL - 2nd DD Sweet 16
NEXT TRIP DEC 2014 WL CL - CHRISTMAS
Old 01-19-2013, 08:22 PM   #1302
lurkyloo
The Attic was just perfect
OK, apparently I've been living under a rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa75 View Post
I am sorry if this was asked. With the BW Bakery being closed are there alternate options to have a custom cake delivered to the room at BWV's on April 18?
The pastrymaking has probably just moved to the resort kitchen. If you call BWI private dining, they can tell you what your options are (see Post #2).

Quote:
Originally Posted by quandrea View Post
I am looking at a cake based on iasw attraction. So something with the dolls, colors, etc. just a peanut allergy which I indicated in the email. I am thinking we will have to go eight inch. Has anyone ever done an iasw cake?
This Disney bride recently had a Small World-themed cake made by the Grand Floridian that you might like: http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=966

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Grumpy View Post
Just placed an order for a mini cake at CRT for our anniv. on Valentine's Day.
It will be chocolate cake, with white icing, and a white chocolate castle topper. Super excited, but was really caught off guard with the $63 quote I was given. Just seems a little steep for a mini cake.
Could be the white chocolate topper. Did you ask for fondant? That also drives the price up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof4minnies View Post
I would love to post a picture, but I'm technologically challenged . I might be able to send it private message if you like, or if someone could instruct me, I could post here.
First you need to upload the photo to a photo sharing site like www.photobucket.com. Then look for the IMG code (a link surrounded by [IMG] tags) - in old Photobucket it's right under the photo when you see it in your gallery, but if you sign up and they give you new Photobucket, you may have to click links to "share" or something to find it. Paste the code, including the [IMG] tags, into a post and voila!
Old 01-19-2013, 09:06 PM   #1303
Ms.Grumpy
Sweet Home CHICAGO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkyloo View Post
Could be the white chocolate topper. Did you ask for fondant? That also drives the price up.
I am going to call and double check, to see if the CM noted fondant, which I do not want.
Old 01-19-2013, 09:15 PM   #1304
kordoyne
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof4minnies View Post
We were at WDW for oldest DDs Sweet 16 about 18 months ago. I ordered thru WL Club Level. However, if you order thru the cake line you will be able to get one. Here is the info I was just given by the BWI Club Level for ordering cakes "You must contact the Cake Hotline at least 24 hours in advance. I would suggest doing it as soon as you can. Their phone number is: 407-827-2253. You will be sent through a phone tree and must choose the location and name of your restaurant to be connected to the right person."

When I ordered DDs cake 18 months ago my requests were 1)chocolate and chocolate 2)Tinker Bell 3)under $50. I was extremely pleased. I believe the cake ended up at $42 with tax. The cake was a very good size, very delicious, and adorable. I would love to post a picture, but I'm technologically challenged . I might be able to send it private message if you like, or if someone could instruct me, I could post here.
Thanks so much! I will have to call and see what they can do! I would love to see a picture if possible!
Old 01-19-2013, 09:33 PM   #1305
momof4minnies
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Thanks so much! I will have to call and see what they can do! I would love to see a picture if possible!
And here it is...

Thank you very much, lurkyloo

1971 WDW opening year
several visits to DL as a wee one
Oct 1998 Poly
Jun 2000 CBR
Aug 2001 CR
Jul 2003 CR
June 2004 GF CL
Jun 2005 CR CL
Jul 2007 GF CL
Nov 2008 WL CL